Chapter 5

Hidden Destiny

Chapter Five

(Taeyeon’s POV)

“What we’re gonna do today is dive in the pool, six-feet deep.” Miss Song, our swimming teacher instructed. “This exercise is designed to reduce your fright in the water. We’ll start with the boys, and then the girls would follow.”

Chen dived in the water as soon as the teacher finished talking.

Chen swam on until he reached four feet and he surfaced. As we watched Chen get out of the pool, Baekhyun dived in without warning.

“Quite a pair.” Miss Song commented and wrote on her record notebook.

Suho was next. Unlike the first two boys, Suho waited for our teacher’s go signal before diving in. As I saw the water enclose him, I can’t help getting nervous for some unknown reason I can’t quite grasp…

Fine! You got me. I just… I was afraid that he might get hurt. He got out safely, though. Relief flooded through me; but, it didn’t stay long.

My heart began pounding hard on my chest as the tenth and last boy was preparing to dive. The other boys were already playing at the shallow side of the pool. Only Suho and Xiumin, another quiet boy in our bloc, were seated among us. The last boy dived and didn’t bother checking his score; instead, he joined the rest of the boys at the other side of the pool.

Then Seohyun, as the tallest girl in our bloc, dived in. I watched as she heaved herself out of the pool. Other girls dived in after her. Soon, only two of us were left.

Jessica Jung, our new friend, looked at me.

“Shall I go first?” She asked me.

I nodded weakly.

When I saw her getting out of the pool, I thought I was going to faint. Everyone stared at me, waiting for me. I positioned myself at the edge of the pool. My knees were trembling; but, I managed to raise my hand, bend my body forward, and dived, or rather, jumped into the water.

I was not sure what exactly happened; I think I saw a movement in the water and my fears washed over me. I tried to retreat, but it was too late. My feet were already sliding off solid ground and into the water. I lost my balance and fell in. Once I hit the water, my instinct was to reach the floor and push myself upward; but, I couldn’t reach any floor. I frantically tried to locate for a wall, but I couldn’t find one. Water was all around me. Thinking about this made things worse. My nostrils were flaring and I couldn’t breathe.  My whole body was aching.

I quit moving and let the water take over me. My eyelids began to close. Before I slipped to unconsciousness, I felt hands wrap around my body and I saw nothing.

 

(Seohyun’s POV)

I watched in panic as Suho dived after Taeyeon.

When I saw Taeyeon struggling, I attempted to go after her but Jessica and Xiumin held me back. Suho and Xiumin were the closest guys. Our teacher was not wearing a swimming attire. Suho dived as soon as he saw Taeyeon drowning.

The moment I saw Taeyeon’s life in danger, pain and guilt gripped my heart. I wasn’t able to concentrate properly; what happened next was a blur to me.

Taeyeon was hauled out of the water and our teacher pumped her chest until she could breathe properly again. Jessica and I managed to get her into dry clothes and two nurses from the university clinic came with a stretcher.

I blindly took the shower and changed into dry clothes. I got a grip on my mentality, gathered my things, and helped Jessica gather Taeyeon’s bag. Suho, Baekhyun, Chen, Jessica and I went to fetch Taeyeon at the clinic.

Once we’re inside the clinic, the nurse told us that only a few of us could enter the clinic ward; the rest would stay behind and wait.

“I’ll go.” I quickly volunteered.

 “She’s on the second bed.” The nurse told me.

“Thank you.” I replied.

I went to where the nurse told me. Taeyeon was already awake. She looked pale.

“Hi.” She smiled at me.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” My voice wavered slightly. I awkwardly glanced at the curtain that separated us from the next bed to avoid looking at her. I saw silhouettes of two people behind the curtain – one was lying on the bed and the other was seated.

“I feel better, now.” She answered. “Thanks for saving me.”

“I-I didn’t save you.” I guiltily told her as I looked down on my shoes to avoid her gaze.

“Seohyun,” Taeyeon sighed. “is that why you can’t look at me? It’s not your fault.”

“It’s not only that.” I finally looked at her but still avoided eye contact.

“What’s the problem, then?”

My eyes got misty. I blinked rapidly to keep the tears from falling.

“I-I laughed at you when you said you’re afraid to dive. I mean, look at you! You’re old enough and you can’t dive? That was unbelievable. But when you got drowned…” I choked off.

I can’t explain why I suddenly got emotional. I brushed off my tears. There was silence. I realized that the people at the other bed got silent, too.

“Seohyun, it’s not your fault. Stop being guilty.”

“You don’t understand. I can’t lose you. You’re one of the few people I trust.”

“Well, what about Luhan?” She teased.

“Luhan? He’s not even my friend.” I told her.

“No, seriously.” Taeyeon wouldn’t give up.

“I hate him, okay? He’s so annoying that I can’t stand his presence.” I said just to stop her. “And he’ll never be part of the few people I trust.”

“You’re still joking around even when he’s not here.”

“I’m not joking! I’m serious. Let’s not talk about him, please?”

“So, tell me, then. Who saved me?” Taeyeon changed the topic.

“Oh…” My face lit up. “Suho saved you. He dived in before I could.”

Taeyeon was speechless. I could see her blushing.

“Taeyeon?” I worriedly asked.

“C-could you just get me out of this clinic so I can go home?”

“Sure thing!”

I helped her off the bed and held her arm as we walked out.

As we were about to pass by the bed next to us, we saw Kris Wu, the basketball star player, entering through its curtains. As he disappeared inside, Luhan emerged from the curtains and almost ran into us. I stopped in my tracks.

“I know we’re some sort of enemies, but I never thought you see me that way. I’m sorry for annoying you.” He said to me and walked away.

I was taken aback.

“Are you okay?” Taeyeon asked me.

“Y-yes.” I answered.

“Do you sincerely hate him, or did you just say it because you can’t admit that you…”

“I seriously hate him. I just didn’t want him to hear our conversation. It’s awkward.” I lied. “Let’s get out of here.”

Once we reached Jessica and the others, Luhan was nowhere in sight. I couldn’t help getting upset.

 

 (Taeyeon’s POV)

The next day, I went to school with a box of cookies. My mom baked them for “the friend who saved me from drowning”.

“What are those?” Jessica jerked her chin at the box of cookies I was holding.

I met her at the gate on my way to the cafeteria.

“Cookies.” I casually replied.

Jessica opened to say something more when I saw him walking to a table.

“Suho!” I called.

That stopped Jessica from talking.

Suho, along with the people in the cafeteria, turned and looked at me. Flustered, I hurriedly made my way towards Suho, who was standing a few feet away, waiting for me.

“Hi!” I greeted Suho and his friends, Huang Zitao and Do Kyungsoo.

“Hello, Taeyeon. Hi, Jessica.” Suho returned my greeting.

“Hey, guys.” Jessica smiled at the three.

“What’s that?” Kyungsoo nodded at my box.

“They’re cookies.” Jessica answered for me.

I shyly handed the box of cookies to Suho.

“Wow! Let’s gobble those little dudes up!” Tao said, reaching for the box on my outstretched arm.

Jessica slapped his hand. “That’s not for you!” She said. “That’s for Suho.”

“Thank you.” Suho took the box from me. “What are these for?”

“To thank you for diving after me yesterday.” I told him.

“Oh, how sweet!” Jessica teased me.

“Uh… we’ll go ahead, then. See you, guys, at the classroom.” I bid the three boys goodbye.

“Let’s go!” I dragged Jessica out of the cafeteria.

 

“Is it true?” My blocmate, Choi Sooyoung, asked me, grabbing me as soon as Jessica and I entered the room.

“Come on, tell us!” Lee Sunny, another blocmate, prompted.

“Did you answer him already?” Kwon Yuri asked.

I stared at them in confusion.

“What are you talking about?” I asked them.

“You and Suho! Don’t deny it.” Im Yoona said.

“Yeah, we saw the concern in his eyes when he saved you.” Yuri agreed.

“And I saw you giving him cookies this morning.” Sooyoung added.

“Just admit it. He’s your boyfriend, right?” Sunny teased.

“There he is!” Sooyoung blurted out before I could answer. “Suho! Isn’t she your girlfriend?”

“What?” Suho’s brows furrowed.

“Your girlfriend.” Yoona reapeated as if Suho was some dumb kid. “Taeyeon’s your girlfriend, right?”

“What?!” Suho was gobsmacked. He stared at me.

I was flushing deep red in humiliation.

“Look,” I tried to explain. “You all got it wrong…”

“Aigoo, she’s still denying the obvious.” Yuri shook her head and clicked her tongue.

The boys in the room, excluding Baekhyun and Chen who were nowhere to be found, moved closer to our group.

“Wow, so it’s really true? Weren’t you lovers back in high school?” Oh Sehun was asking me.

“That’s not…” I began.

“Since when?” Kim Jongin cut me off.

“Did you answer him right away?” Xiumin, chimed in.

“YEHET~ Let us all celebrate for the first official couple of our bloc!” Sehun cheered.

“LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! ALL OF YOU BACK OFF!!!”  Seohyun’s voice pierced every ear in the room.

She was standing by the doorway, obviously just arriving.

“MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!” She shouted.

My blocmates fell silent and dispersed from our big group. Thankfully, I approached Seohyun who was pouting and looking grumpy about nothing in particular.

Once our blocmates had busied themselves with their own business, Seohyun slumped her shoulders as she dragged her feet to the empty chair by the corner of the room. Jessica and I followed her there, each of us pulling a chair on either side of her.

“What’s with the face?” I asked her.

Seohyun looked up from her hands and stared at us.

“There’s something wrong.” Jessica observed. “Tell us.”

“Yeah.” Seohyun sighed for the nth time and looked down at her hands again. “It’s Luhan.”

“He’s still mad about yesterday?” I asked.

Jessica stared at me. I explained to her what happened at the clinic yesterday.

“And what happened today?” She asked her.

“I overheard him talking to Chorong earlier today at the library.” Seohyun began. “They were talking about me. It seems that Chorong was jealous of me because Luhan is giving me much more attention compared to her. Luhan assured her that I don’t mean anything to him. He said I’m nothing. And I don’t understand why I feel so upset.”

“That’s awful.” Jessica quietly commented.

“So what now?” I asked her.

“I don’t know. Maybe this is what I get for saying all those bull yesterday.” Seohyun blamed herself.

“So, you’re finally admitting that you didn’t really mean what you said about him yesterday?” I asked her.

“Are you really my friend? You seriously believed what I said?” Seohyun asked me.

“I knew you were lying. But now, you’re admitting the truth to yourself.” I pointed out.

“Just ignore them. You could live without him.” Jessica advised her.

“Sounds awful.” I commented.

“I’ve done it before. It wasn’t so hard.” She flashed us a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.