Chapter 1

Hidden Destiny

Chapter One

(Taeyeon’s POV)

            I can do this!

            I kept telling these words to myself as I stood there at the back of the gym with my friends.

It was our high school graduation and I was very nervous, not because of the program but because of something that makes my heart uneasy.

“Taeyeon, are you alright?” My best friend, Kristy, was asking me.

“Huh? What was that? I was not following, sorry.” I said.

“What is wrong with you, seriously?” Paolo, one of our friends raised his eyebrow at me.

“I-I… uhm… it’s just that-” I stuttered.

“I know! Oh gosh! Taeyeon, I know!” Stephanie hugged me. “Graduation is a synonym for goodbye and it’s not really easy.” She hugged me.

“That’s right. But anyway, we’ll all be attending the same university; so, that’s not really something to be worried about.” Claire pointed out.

“Ah, guys… I won’t be.” I said quietly.

“What?!” All my friends froze momentarily.

Gosh! This can’t be happening! I thought.

My chest began to tighten.

I can’t cry! I can’t upset my friends.

“Guys, I’ll be…” My voice wobbled. “I’ll be studying in Korea.”

My friends fell silent, probably taking these all in. We loved each other like real siblings.

“Taeyeon, you can’t.” Kristy whispered. “There must be someway we can fix this…”

“There isn’t.” I cut her off. “My flight to Seoul will be tonight.”

“Already?!” Stephanie’s eyes widened.

“Why are you telling us just now?” Paolo demanded.

“Look, guys, we can’t do anything.” Charmaine spoke up. “We can’t dictate her parents’ decision. Let’s just hope our airhead friend here would manage to remember us even if…”

That was when I saw HIM. I didn’t hear the rest of Charmaine’s words.

He was striding towards us, or that was how it looked like. I glanced to where he was looking and I saw Alex, my classmate who was also his cousin, standing behind us.

“Wait! Suho! Can we talk?” I blurted out before I could stop myself.

“Sure.” Suho stopped walking, obviously shocked and curious at my action.

“I-I…” I looked for the right words.

“Taeyeon?”  Suho waited patiently.

What’s happening with me? I have prepared for this. I have decided on this. I can’t back out now! Spill it out, Taeyeon! He’s waiting!

“Suho, I like you.” I looked down at my shoes. “I’ve been having this crush on you ever since grade school and I never had the guts to tell you. Now that we’re about to take different paths, it’s about time I stop being a coward and at least let you know. We’ll never see each other again, anyway; so, I hope it wouldn’t bother you.”

There! I said it!

Suho stood there, motionless. Even my friends were staring at me.

The Graduation March began to play. I sighed.

Saved by the bell!