Chapter 4

Hidden Destiny

 

Chapter Four

(Seohyun’s POV)

I still can’t understand why Luhan seemed very patient with Chorong. He stood by, watching his dream girl flirt with Kris Wu, his basketball co-player. Taeyeon, Suho, and I were sitting on the bleachers a few feet from Luhan. We were watching the varsity players practice.

Luhan’s face darkened when he saw Chorong wiping sweat from Kris’ face.

“This stipud kid, really! He’s even hotter and cuter than Kris Wu. Why would he let Kris defeat him just like that? And this super stupid, bubble-brained, empty-head Chorong, whoever she is, how could she not see that Luhan is better, even if Kris is the star player. So what?! LUHAN IS BETTER!!!” I exploded.

I realized that Suho and Taeyeon were staring at me.

“Who’s Luhan?” Taeyeon asked me.

“Someone from our neighborhood. He’s Baekhyun’s friend.” I answered.

“Really? Where is he?” She asked.

I pointed to where Luhan was. Their break was over and he was moving to his group.

“How does he look? All I can see from here is his fair and flawless skin…”

“He doesn’t look very tall, though. Is he really part of the basketball team?” Suho asked me.

“He actually didn’t like it but he did because his dream girl was the basketball cheering squad’s cheer captain. The truth is he’s not into sports. His hobby is painting, making fun of people, and making sure he looks good.” I emphasized the last five words. “Even though he’s undoubtedly gorgeous…” I added softly.

“His body figure looks nice. How does he look up close?” Taeyeon asked again.

Is this girl testing me? Huh! You wouldn’t catch me. I won’t tell you that I think Luhan is…

“Luhan is handsome having sparkly, brown eyes, flawless and baby face, and prominent cheek bones. And his kissable lips …” I said.

“Got ‘ya!” Taeyeon beamed.

“I didn’t just say that out loud.” I shook my head.

“You just did. Tell us about Chorong.” Suho said.

“Do you really want to know?” I asked them.

“Yes!” They eagerly replied in unison.

“Well…”

 

-Flashback-

(Seohyun’s POV)

Every summer vacation, my parents and I visit my uncle and his family in Seoul; because of this, I became friends (and enemies at the same time) with Luhan. It’s kind of complicated. We’re in a “Philos-aphilos” relationship. He was my nemesis and we’re like Dr. Doofenshmirtz and Perry the Platypus of the show Phineas and Ferb.

Before classes started this school year, Luhan always showed up at Baekhyun’s place.

“Luhan-hyung is going to visit today.” Baekhyun told his mom.

*hyung – used by a boy to address an older boy

“Okay, I’m going to include lunch for him.” Baekhyun’s mom said.

“Why don’t you meet outside? He’s here everyday.” I complained to Baekhyun.

“Don’t you like to see me everyday?” Luhan said, appearing inside the house.

“You’re too early. And, for your information, I am annoyed with your presence.” I told him.

“Don’t be shy, Seohyun. Just admit that you feel fluttered every time I tease you.” Luhan winked at me.

“Over my dead body!” I snapped at him.

“This kids looked together. Don’t you think, son?” My aunt asked Baekhyun.

“I do.” Baekhyun laughed.

“Anyway, I’ll have to leave you and prepare our lunch.” Auntie went to the kitchen.

“That’s another issue. You’re here everyday, you eat here everyday. Should we charge you? We might get poor.” I told Luhan.

“I’ll feed you at my house to get even. Shall we plan a date?” Luhan taunted me.

“Date your face! I’d rather die single.” I told him.

“Should I leave you two?” Baekhyun joked.

I glared at him. “No! I shall leave.”

I went out and sat by the terrace to get fresh air. I felt suffocated whenever Luhan is in the house.

Through the window, I could see the two boys talking.

“Hyung, why don’t you tell Chorong what you really feel?” I heard Baekhyun asking.

Who’s Chorong?

“I can’t do that. It’s not that simple.” Luhan shook his head.

“Well, is it simpler to enter the basketball varsity even if you really didn’t like sports just so you can get closer to Chorong?”

How can he get closer to Chorong? Is Chorong a basketball player, too? Ah! Is Chorong gay? If Chorong’s gay, then Luhan is also-

I laughed loudly.

The two boys looked at me through the window.

“Why are you laughing?” Luhan asked me. “Are you crazy?”

“I’m not crazy.” I said in between laughter. “Are you gay?”

I’m laughing so hard that tears fell. Baekhyun was laughing with me.

“Hyung! She called you gay. Are you really gay?” Baekhyun asked him.

“Where did she get that?” Luhan asked.

“Ya!” Luhan called me as he stomped out of the house to where I was.

Baekhyun followed him.

“I heard you talking.” I pointed at the two of them. “Baekhyun said you entered the basketball varsity team to follow Chorong.” I laughed again.

“Chorong is not a member of the basketball team. She’s the cheer captain of the basketball cheering squad. Pabo!” Luhan yelled.

*pabo = stupid

“I’m sorry I misunderstood!” I yelled back at him. “You don’t need to yell. Anyway, it’s fine if you’re really gay. Stupid boys, like you, do well with being gay; and you look like a girl anyway.” I .

“If you don’t stop calling me gay, I’ll kiss you.” Luhan goaded.

“Try it and you’re dead!” I snapped back.

I turned around to walk away but Luhan pulled my arm and made me face him. He moved his face closer to mine.

“Hyung!” Baekhyun, who was laughing hard, grabbed Luhan’s shoulders. “If you like my cousin, I’m voting for you; but, don’t do your first kiss in front of me. It’s disgusting. Do it somewhere else.”

“You promise you’ll vote for me? You’re on my side? ” Luhan asked Baekhyun as he let go of my arm.

“Yes, I’m voting for you.” Baekhyun assured him.

“Why are you voting for him? This is not an election!!!” I exploded and left them.

I could hear Luhan laughing. He won again.

-End of flashback-

 

(Seohyun’s POV)

Taeyeon and Suho stared at me, probably overwhelmed by my story.

“You said you’re in a state of Philos-aphilos, right?” Suho asked me slowly, as if with precaution.

What’s wrong with him? It’s not like I’m gonna bite him.

“Yes.” I replied.

“Philos-aphilos. Love-hate relationship. There’s love in your relationship with him. That means…” Suho was saying.

“Shut up or I’ll bite you!” I yelled at Suho.

This guy’s getting on my nerves. Ha! And he even knows what “Philos-aphilos” means. Daebak!

*daebak = amazing

“He’s coming!” Taeyeon suddenly blurted out.

I looked to where Luhan was and, sure enough, he was walking toward us with a guy I don’t recognize.

“Paboya!” He greeted me with his nickname for me.

*paboya = hey fool

“Yes, genius?” I sarcastically greeted back.

“Why are you here?” He asked me.

“Is this gym yours?” I snapped at him.

“Well, it’s a little odd that you’d come here. I assumed you’re following me?”

“Excuse me, am I really the one who’s following someone here? Oh wait, no! You’re the one who’s following somebody called Chorong.” I snapped again.

“Does she always snap when she talks?” Luhan asked Suho and Taeyeon.

“Only when she’s talking to you.” Taeyeon smiled at him.

“Does that make me special? I’ll be flattered if it does.” Luhan told her.

Taeyeon and Suho laughed.

“By thy way, my name is Xi Luhan.” Luhan introduced himself. “I’m this pabo’s friend.”

“Enemy.” I corrected him.

“We’re Seohyun’s friends. We came from the same school as hers back in Los Angeles.” Taeyeon told him.

“Ah, so you must be Suho and Taeyeon.” Luhan said. “Baekhyun and Chen mentioned you to me when I met them earlier.”

“They did?!” Suho and Taeyeon asked in unison.

I laughed. They must be worried about my story during lunch.

Did Baekhyun tell Luhan about that? But, why would he? Maybe he just said that I found two friends from my previous school. Suho and Taeyeon are just over reacting…

“Yes. So, you’re the school’s new love birds?” Luhan teased.

Eh?! Did he really tell him about that?

“Eyyy… it’s not like that…” Taeyeon began.

Luhan laughed at her expression.

“I told you making people’s lives miserable is this kid’s hobby.” I told Taeyeon and Suho, although I was also choking back my laughter.

“He’s just like you, then.” Suho told me.

Luhan’s friend cleared his throat.

“Ah, I almost forgot, this is my friend, Lay Zhang.” He introduced his friend.

“Nice to meet you.” Lay smiled at me, showing his dimples.

Wow, his dimples… cute~

“Luhan had mentioned so many things about you. You’re always on his mind.” Lay continued.

“What are you talking about?” Luhan playfully held him by his collar.

“I’m just kidding, Luhan.” Lay laughed sheepishly.

“Lay! Luhan! Back to practice!” The coach yelled at the two.

“Coming!” Luhan called.

“Aish! I’m so tired. Let’s quit, Luhan!” Lay begged.

“We can’t, dimples! Let’s go.” Luhan urged him.

“You should quit if it’s not your hobby.” I told Lay.

Luhan glared at me.

“See you later.” He told us and went back to practice.

“So, are you ready to go, pabo?” Taeyeon teased.

“Shut up!” I snapped.

They both laughed