Chapter 12

Forever Like Stars

“You’re too good to be true, I’m a little scared” – Paper Heart, f(x)

 

            The months left in high school were flying by quicker then I wanted. Soon we were at our last month of high school. The exam was a few weeks away and all of our free time was absorbed in studying.

            “Jin do you want to go out for ice cream later?” Chanyeol asked. “To take a break from studying?”

            “I can spare two hours after school,” I answered. “The same ice cream place your parents’ friend owns?”

            “The very one,” Chanyeol said smiling. “I’m glad we’re going. All this studying is cutting on the time I get to spend with you.”

            “I know,” I said. “I need to spend as much time with you before the you know what day.” Chanyeol nodded his head smiling a little. “See you after school.” I kissed him heading back to my class sitting next to Luhan. I took out my planner crossing off another day.

            “Why do you always cross off days?” Luhan asked. “Is something going to happen?”

            “Yeah,” I answered quietly. “Something big is going to happen, that I don’t want to believe will happen but will.” I closed the planner stuffing it back in my bag.

            After school I went with Chanyeol getting our ice cream sundae to share.

            “How is the studying going?” Chanyeol asked.

            “It’s going fine,” I answered. “It’s a lot of work, but I’m sure I’ll get a good grade with all the studying I’m doing. But keep in mind we have a bigger test coming.”

            “I know,” Chanyeol said scooping up some more ice cream. “Any thoughts about it?”

            “I don’t want to think about it,” I said. “I don’t know what the best move is for us just yet. I need all the days I can to figure this out.” I reached across the table holding Chanyeol’s free hand.

            “Me too,” Chanyeol said. “Me too.”

            The day of the test came and before it started Luhan, Taehyung, Chanyeol, and I met outside of the school.

            “Well this is it,” Taehyung said. “Best of luck to us three.”

            “Yes,” Luhan said. “Fighting!” We all bumped our fists together.

            “Everyone test your best,” Chanyeol said. “I’ll be rooting for you all to pass with flying colors.”

            “Thank you,” I said smiling.

            “Okay class,” Ms. Park said. “You have four hours for the test. When you finish you are free to leave. Okay everyone test!” She pressed the timer as we all opened the booklets grabbing our pencils beginning to take the test.

            This was the test I had to do my best on. This was the test that counted the most to all of us. All the studying paid off. Most of the questions were easy and I was able to finish with an hour to spare.

            I turned in my test to Ms. Park leaving the classroom. I spotted Chanyeol sitting down in the grass with his headphones one. I walked over to him kissing his cheek.

            “How did the test go?” Chanyeol asked. “Easy?”

            “Mostly,” I answered. “Did you just sit here the whole time?”

            “Pretty much,” Chanyeol responded. I sat down next to Chanyeol. “Well how do feel that school is over?”

            “I feel relieved,” I said. “But also anxious.” Chanyeol nodded his head. There was only two days left before Chanyeol was off to America for college. “Come here.” I wrapped my arms around Chanyeol’s neck kissing him softly on the lips.

            Chanyeol smiled into the kiss falling back on the grass wrapping his arms around my waist as we kissed each other on the grass, like it would be our last time.

            “I’m going to miss you a lot,” Chanyeol whispered switching our positions. I looked up into Chanyeol’s eyes catching my breath before kissing him again. I didn’t want the moment to end. I wanted to stay like this with Chanyeol forever.

            After Luhan and Taehyung finished the test we all headed out to the café we sometimes went to. Tonight it was a stage night for people to perform on stage for a little extra money.

            “Just a moment guys,” I said. “I had something planned.” I got up from our table heading to the stage. I picked up the guitar case that was by the stage opening it seeing my guitar.

            I sat down on the stool adjusting the guitar and microphone ready to sing the song I had prepared.

            “Hi,” I said into the mic. “I’m Jin and I’m going to sing a song that fits the situation I’m in right now. I’m going to sing f(x)’s, ‘Paper Heart.’” I began strumming some chords to the song before singing into the mic.

 

            When the wind plays tricks, hold me close. I might fly away. If you crumple me like that, you’ll be in trouble. I may be nice but I have a huge ego.

            I’ve never been hurt because of love. I’ve never seriously thought of anyone before. For the first time I’m serious.

            On the outside I look strong, but my heart is like paper. I got a pa-pa-pa-pa-paper heart. You’re too good to be true, I’m a little scared.

 

            I continued singing the song until I strummed the last chord having the audience in the café applaud me. I bowed to the audience before packing up my guitar and returning to my friends.

            “Wow,” Taehyung said. “Jin you sounded so amazing.”

            “Yeah,” Luhan said. “I could really hear the emotion in your voice with that song.”

            “Thanks,” I said. I laced my fingers with Chanyeol smiling at him. “I’m glad my emotions spoke loud and clear in the song.” Chanyeol kissed me on the cheek.

 

^_^ >_<

 

            It was after the weekend that I found myself standing at the airport terminal with Luhan and Taehyung to see Chanyeol off. His parents had hugged and kissed the hell out of him leaving him to say his goodbyes with us.

            “Chanyeol man,” Taehyung said hugging him. “You’re a kick soccer player. The best player on the team besides me and the best boyfriend for my best friend. Have fun in America, and don’t get too carried away.”

            “Thank you Taehyung,” Chanyeol said smiling.

            “Chanyeol,” Luhan said hugging him next. “I’m glad we could become friends throughout high school. You’re a really nice person. Keep in touch yeah?”

            “I’ll message you guys frequently,” Chanyeol said. Chanyeol grabbed my hand. “Jin let’s walk.” Chanyeol said his final goodbyes to Taehyung and Luhan before walking off with me in the airport. “I have over an hour before I have to board the plane, let’s get one more drink for old times sake?”

            “Sure,” I said quietly, trying to keep my voice from cracking. We sat down at the café in the airport ordering our drinks sitting down looking at each other.

            “This is it,” Chanyeol said sipping his drink.

            “Yeah,” I said. “This is it. And I’ve finally came up with a decision.” Over the weekend I had pondered the question of the future of our relationship, finally coming up with the only plausible answer.

            “I have too,” Chanyeol said. “I think I know what you’re going to say.”

            “I think I know what you’re going to say,” I said. “Say it together?”

            “Sure,” Chanyeol said. “One.”

            “Two,” I said holding my breath.

            “Three,” we said together. “Let’s break up.” We both looked at each other as I saw the hurt in Chanyeol’s eyes finally feeling the hot tears falling down my face.

            “I don’t see how it could work,” I said. “I’m sorry Chanyeol.”

            “I understand,” Chanyeol said. “I thought the same thing.” By now he was crying too. “I’m sorry too Jin. But look on the bright side.”

            “What bright side?” I asked. “You’ve been my boyfriend for most of high school? What bright side is there?”

            “You’re single,” Chanyeol said crying some more. “And Taehyung is single, this is your chance to finally go after the guy you truly love. Thanks for sticking with me all through high school, even though you had feelings for Taehyung.”

            “You knew?” I asked crying harder. Chanyeol nodded his head wiping his eyes.

            “I’ve known for a while,” Chanyeol said. “And I knew Taehyung felt the same way. And I didn’t want to tell you this, but I saw you kiss him at the lake on the camping trip.”

            “You knew all along,” I said looking at him. “I’m sorry Chanyeol. I do love you though.”

            “I know,” Chanyeol said wiping my tears with his fingers. “I know you love me, but it’s time you get the one that you love even more.”

            We got up heading back to Chanyeol’s terminal when it was time for him to leave.

            “Stay good Jin,” Chanyeol said wrapping me in one last hug. “And remember, if you need anything I’ll be there to listen.”

            “Thank you for everything,” I said. “You’re truly the most caring boyfriend.” I kissed him one last time. “You’re really strong.” I realized all the hurt I must’ve put Chanyeol through. He knew all along that my heart truly belonged to someone else and not him.

            “Don’t worry,” Chanyeol whispered in my ear. “No matter how much it hurt, I was just happy to see you happy.” He broke our hug turning his back to me. I saw him wiping his eyes before he boarded onto the plane flying out of my life with the remaining fragments of our used to be relationship.

 

This was probably the hardest part of the story for me to write to make it so it wasn't too painful for either one. I didn't want Chanyeol to be hurt, but I didn't want Jin to be hurt either. I tried my best to make the breakup as painless as possible. Please leave a comment. The college life awaits the characters now.