Chapter 7

Forever Like Stars

“I’ve never learned about love but why are these feelings coming to me” – Growing Pains 2, Cold Cherry

 

            The next months of school were hell to me. Luhan continued to pursue Taehyung and slowly I saw Taehyung opening up more and more to the popular pretty guy. Everyday at lunch it was the same Luhan giggling and flirting with Taehyung, until eventually it was both of them flirting with each other.

            Chanyeol and I found ourselves hanging out more and more since, Luhan and Taehyung hung out more and more without us. My worst nightmare was coming true. Luhan was slowly but surely taking away my best friend. It was now only a matter of time before Luhan would ask out Taehyung. And knowing him his confession was going to be so elaborate; Taehyung was surely going to say yes.

            “Hey Jin,” Taehyung said. It was during snack that he came up to me with a smile on his face. “How have you been?”

            “I’ve been fine,” I said eating my snack. “And you? I know you hang out with Luhan a lot.”

            “Yeah,” Taehyung said smiling. “He’s a really nice person to hang out with.” I smiled with him, while inside I was hurting seeing Taehyung smile about Luhan.

            “We have a special announcement,” Namjoon said over the PA system. “Take it away Luhan.” I looked at the ground knowing this was the day I was dreading.

            “Hello,” Luhan said over the speakers. “This is Luhan, I have a special message for a special someone that has made these past months amazing. I want to spend many more months with them if they so choose to. So basically what I’m trying to say is, Kim Taehyung will you go out with me? I’ll be in the radio room waiting for your answer.”

            “Wow,” I said looking at Taehyung. “Looks like Luhan really really liked you all this time.”

            “I guess so,” Taehyung said standing up. “Listen I have to go talk to him.” He patted my shoulder running off to the radio room leaving me to watch after him. Damn Luhan for being so crafty with confessing over the air system, there was no way that Taehyung would refuse now.

            “Hey,” the familiar deep voice said sitting down next to me. “I heard over the speaker system.”

            “Yeah,” I said. “I guess my life is going to be a lot more interesting now. I just know they’re going to be the new couple around school.”

            “Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked looking at me. I nodded my head refusing to look him in the eyes. “Hey, Jin?”

            “I’m fine,” I said taking a deep breath. This day had started out perfect, Taehyung and I talked for a brief moment, but now it was a living nightmare. Taehyung was somewhere off with Luhan in the radio room probably confirming my worst fear and I was here lying to Chanyeol that I was okay. “Everything is… I am…” I looked down closing my eyes to prevent the tears that had welled up in my eyes from falling.

            “Jin,” Chanyeol said. “Come with me.” He grabbed my hand leading me out of the hallway up to the rooftop. “Sit.” We sat down on a balcony over looking a pretty good view of the school. “You can cry up here without anyone seeing you.”

            “This is terrible,” I said crying. “I was trying to hold off the inevitable, but now it’s finally happening. Luhan confessed to Taehyung and I have a feeling they’re going to start going out. I should’ve said something before this happened. I just wanted him to be happy.”

            “It’s going to be okay,” Chanyeol said rubbing my arm. “You just need to focus on some other things, to take your mind off of Taehyung and Luhan.”

            “You’re right,” I said, wiping my face. “I need to just focus on the music club and I’ll be okay. Thanks for comforting me Chanyeol.”

            “I don’t like seeing you cry,” Chanyeol said. “I think your smile is the brightest smile in the world, and it doesn’t deserved to be blocked out by tears.” He smiled at me hugging me.

            “Thank you,” I said, my eyes forming new tears. I buried my face in Chanyeol’s chest crying. Chanyeol kept hugging me, patting my back.

            “Everything will be alright,” Chanyeol said. I finished crying still staying in Chanyeol’s strong arms, pressed against his warm, broad chest. Finally Chanyeol let go of me as we continued to sit up on the rooftop even though class had started a long time ago.

            “Thank you for staying with me,” I said. “I really needed someone to comfort me. I’m glad it was you.”

            “Anytime,” Chanyeol said. “What are friends for right?” He smiled at me ruffling my hair a little bit. I smiled upon feeling Chanyeol’s fingers running through my hair. “There’s that smile I love to see. Um so listen Jin, since you know who are probably boyfriends now, and we’ve known each other for a while, um would you want to be my boyfriend?”

            I looked at Chanyeol as he smiled at me with a hopeful look in his eyes. “Chanyeol do you like me?”

            “Yes,” Chanyeol said. “I knew I liked you the moment we first ate lunch together, when I kicked Luhan for you. I saw that smile and I was positive I liked you. I like you a lot. So what do you say? It’ll get your mind off of stuff.”

            “Come here,” I said smiling. I hugged Chanyeol again suddenly finding the feeling of being in Chanyeol’s arms pure heaven. “Yes, I’ll be your boyfriend.” Chanyeol looked at me smiling kissing me lightly on the forehead.

            “Thank you Jin,” Chanyeol said. “I’ll try to be the best boyfriend, you could ever ask for.”

            “You don’t have try too hard,” I said. “You’re already pretty caring and loving, qualities all boyfriends should have.” We stayed for the remainder of class up on the rooftop with each other just enjoying each other’s company.

            Finally when lunch came Chanyeol and I walked down into the lunchroom.

            “Do you want to still sit with them?” Chanyeol asked holding my hand lacing our fingers together. “If you don’t want to sit with them, it’s fine.”

            “No we can sit with them,” I said spotting them at our usual table. “And from now on you and I can share our lunches?”

            “Sure,” Chanyeol said. “Let’s go.” We made our way through the lunchroom to Taehyung and Luhan.

            “So what happened in the radio room?” Chanyeol asked them as we sat across from them. “Are you two dating now?” I looked at them getting my lunch out.

            “Um about that,” Luhan said clearing his throat. “Taehyung did come to see me in the radio room.”

            “No,” Taehyung said. “I appreciate how he feels, but I said I just wanted to be friends.”

            “Really?” I asked. Hearing that I felt better that Luhan wasn’t taking my friend away, but now things had changed. I was now officially going out with Chanyeol. “Well we have some news too.”

            “Yes we do,” Chanyeol said smiling. Taehyung and Luhan looked at us waiting for our big news.

            “Um so,” I said. “We’re going out.” I held Chanyeol’s hand smiling with him. “Yep starting today.”

            “Wow,” Taehyung said smiling at us. “Congrats guys.” He looked at me right in the eyes, and I saw a glimpse of sadness in his eyes. “And Chanyeol you better be the best boyfriend to my best friend, you hear me?”

            “Yes,” Chanyeol said. “I’ll be the best boyfriend I can be.”

            “He’s already succeeding,” I said smiling. “There was some emotions that got out of hand, earlier, that’s why I wasn’t in class after snack.”

            “And just because you’re dating Jin,” Taehyung said. “I still expect you to be on you’re a game for soccer.”

            “I’m always on my A+ game,” Chanyeol said. “Don’t worry I’ll never let the team down.” Chanyeol took out his lunch putting it next to mine as we began to share our lunches with each other.

            “I didn’t know you brought such good food,” I said looking at the food in Chanyeol’s lunch container.

            “So do you,” Chanyeol said smiling. We smiled at each other continuing to eat each other’s lunch. Taehyung looked at our lunches no longer smiling.

            “Here,” I said. I picked up a portion of the japchae noodles in my container putting it in Taehyung’s lunch container. “My mom packed me extra since she knows you like it so much.”

            “Thanks,” Taehyung said. He happily ate the noodles I gave him.

            “Luhan are you okay?” Chanyeol asked. “How are you taking all of this?”

            “I’m fine,” Luhan said. “I understand, and I’m just glad we can all still remain friends.” Luhan smiled as he continued to eat his lunch.

            “Well good,” I said. “I’m glad everyone is getting along with each other, and we’re all still friends.” I laced my fingers with Chanyeol’s under the table, happy that my best friend was still my best friend, and that I now had a boyfriend, and Luhan wasn’t out to steal anyone away from me. What could be greater? I was about to find out.

 

Yes yes I know, Jin and Chanyeol?! What?! Don’t fret Taejin fans… There is still time yet for them! Please leave a comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFaZi1fuoBA - Growing Pains 2, Cold Cherry