Chapter 2

Forever Like Stars

“Tears scatter and the wind takes it all away” – Sky, Super Junior K.R.Y.

 

            The older we got and more we got to know each other, the closer Taehyung and I became. He was my support when I needed and I was him when he needed me. Together we were inseparable. Everyone always saw us together and we would never hang out with anyone else.

            If one of us was sick the other was left lonely at school. It was like we became attached to each other. I never had a best friend, or any friend for that matter before Kim Taehyung moved into the house on my street.

            I wouldn’t have had a best friend if my mom hadn’t forced me to play with him that one summer day. I would’ve still been by myself a loner, kid. I guess I was thankful to my mom for introducing us, and his mom too, for sending him to meet us at our house.

            As we got older, I changed a little, Taehyung had made me more comfortable into doing new things, and being more outgoing. It was in middle school that I began dying my hair reddish, brown, while Taehyung, switched between blonde, and orange.

            We still went to the same school in our little town, and were in the same class year after year. I was happy with my life, and Taehyung was happy with his life. Nothing could be more perfect to me, then what I had in my life right now. A best friend, and a peaceful life.

            With Taehyung I was ready to start the next chapter of our lives, moving onto high school and saying goodbye to middle school, and moving on to be more grown up.

            “Are you ready for our first day of high school Jin?” Taehyung asked as we were walking to the school. It was the first day and I was very nervous inside, but I was ready to go to the high school.

            “Yes,” I answered. “I’m ready, nervous, but ready none the less. Are you ready Taehyung? Are you nervous?”

            “Me nervous?” Taehyung scoffed. “When have I ever been nervous about starting a new school? I’m so ready for high school! I can’t wait to leave middle school behind forever. That place was the worst.”

            I had to agree, if it wasn’t for Taehyung I would’ve never survived middle school. There the kids were meaner, and the hormones were blooming so everyone was erted and always had an attitude. I hated ever minute of it. It was only tolerable because I wasn’t going through it alone.

            “I hope high school is better,” I said. I kind of new it would be, because everyone was more mature then in middle school. At least I hoped most of us were. Growing up in our small town, we saw the same people all the time, because we all went to the same school.

            Just like always we were placed in the same class and we sat together by the window side by side. Around our classmates we had been dubbed as brothers, because we were always together.

            “I see some things never change,” a voice laughed. It was our class president Namjoon. He looked like a scary person, but he was super nice and super smart so he was naturally elected class president even before school had started. “You two sitting next to each other as always.”

            “Yep,” Taehyung said smiling. “Wouldn’t have it any other way.”

            “Well I hope we all have a good high school experience,” Namjoon said. He nodded at us leaving to greet more students.

            At lunch we sat together on the steps under a tree. We opened our lunches placing them in between us. We had a habit of sharing our lunches with each other. We had started doing that ever since middle school.

            “We should make some big plans for our high school lives,” Taehyung said. “Like a high school to do list.”

            “What do you suggest?” I asked eating some noodles.

            “Like try out for sports teams or music clubs,” Taehyung said. “Stuff like that, and also like get into at least one relationship.”

            “That one should be easy for you,” I laughed. “You’re pretty popular with the girls. Unlike me. I’ll have trouble with that one.”

            “I think you’ll be fine Jin,” Taehyung said eating some kimchi. “You’re not bad looking. You never were bad looking. I always thought you were pretty.”

            “No guy wants to be labeled as pretty,” I said. “We all want to be manly and handsome, strong, stuff like that. Why do I have to be labeled as pretty?”

            “Because that’s what you are,” Taehyung said smiling. “You’re the prettiest boy in our whole year. The whole school even, everyone thinks you’re even prettier then Luhan and Ren, and they are some of the prettiest people in the school.”

            It was true Luhan and Ren were legendary at high school for their naturally good looks. But it was also true that people thought I was just if not more pretty as them. I didn’t see what they saw, and I didn’t want to see what they saw. I wanted to be normal Jin.

            I didn’t want to be popular like they were. I didn’t want girls hitting on me all the time. They looked like they were miserable when they were surrounded by girls the whole time. I didn’t want that life.

            “Whatever,” I said. “I guess I’m pretty then. But I never want to be as popular as them.”

            “Neither do I,” Taehyung said. It was no surprise that once Taehyung got older, more people noticed how good looking he got. Even I noticed he got more handsome as we got older. People had started noticing us, but we were no where close to being popular at school. And I wanted it to stay that way.

            “Well you should definitely try out for the music club,” Taehyung said. “You would definitely make it. You have a great voice. And you can’t say you can’t.”

            “Really?” I asked. “Should I really try out? What should I sing for my audition piece?” I could play the guitar decently, and I guess my voice was pretty good.

            “What’s your favorite song?” Taehyung asked. “Isn’t it that B.A.P. song? Where Are You or something like that?”

            “Yes,” I answered. “I guess I’ll sing that when they hold the music club auditions. You’ll be there to watch right? I haven’t played that song on the guitar in a while.”

            “Of course I’ll be there,” Taehyung said. “I wouldn’t miss any of your music performances ever. I’m your number one fan remember?”

            “Yep,” I said. “When are the auditions anyway?”

            “In like two days,” Taehyung answered.

            “Well then I need to get to practicing,” I said laughing a little. “I don’t want to sound bad in the audition. I hope I’ll get it.”

            “You will,” Taehyung said. “I know it. You’ll get in the music club.”

 

^_^ >_<

 

            The day of the music club auditions I found myself outside the band room with about twenty other people hoping for the two new spots, available for this year’s music club.

            I clutched onto my guitar trying to steady my breaths. Hearing some of the people practicing they sounded really good, better then me.

            “Don’t worry Jin,” Taehyung said patting my shoulder and squeezing my hand lightly. “You’re going to do just fine.”

            “I hope so,” I said. I picked up my guitar when it was my turn to go into the music room to perform my cover of the B.A.P. song from their Unplugged 2014 album.

            “Go for it!” Taehyung said pumping a fist in the air. I nodded at him before entering the room taking the seat in front of the judges who had the best voices in the whole school.

            Even from the middle school, I’d heard some stories about a few of them. Byun Baekhyun, Kim Taeyeon, Kim Jonghyun, Park Sun Young (Luna), and Cho Kyuhyun.

            “Hi,” I said positioning my guitar on my lap. “I’m Kim Seokjin, or Jin, and I’m going to be performing, ‘Where Are You, What Are You Doing,’ so please enjoy.”

            “Start whenever you’re ready,” Taeyeon said. She was the president of the club, and the best singer out of all of them. She was known around school for winning numerous vocal competitions around Korea.

            I took a deep breath readying myself before beginning to strum on the guitar strings.

            It’s a bit awkward but I came here by myself. Among people who look so happy. I walk the streets and eat good food. Then a day passes.

            I looked up from the guitar smiling as I became more comfortable singing in front of the judges.

            Where are you, what are you doing? Are you well? Because you’re not next to me lonely lonely day. Can you heart it? Can you see it? My heart? I hope it reaches you.

            I finished singing the last chorus before moving on to the last whistling part. I strummed the last chord on the guitar before standing up waiting to hear what they thought.

            “You are a first year right?” Jonghyun asked looking at me. “Right?”

            “Yes,” I answered setting my guitar down. “I am a first year.”

            “Truthfully,” Kyuhyun said looking at me. “You’re voice isn’t the best, it’s not like ours. But you don’t need to have a great voice, because you’re voice was able to convey the emotion that not a lot of people can do.”

            “Thank you,” I said my lips. Was that an I was in the club? Or was this the rude awakening I wasn’t going to make it.

            “So Jin,” Baekhyun said. “What were saying is, welcome to the music club. Meetings are every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after school till 5. Congrats, you’re in one of the two spots that were open today.”

            “Really?” I asked. “That’s great. I’m so happy to be in the club. I’ll see you all tomorrow then.”

            “Yes see you then,” Luna said. “And welcome to our club.” I picked up my guitar heading out of the room going to Taehyung.

            “So what’s the word Jin?” Taehyung asked placing my guitar case on the chair as he stood up. “Are you in? How’d it go?”

            “I,” I said putting my guitar away. “I got into the club!”

            “Really?” Taehyung asked smiling. “Congrats Jin! I knew it! You’d get in for sure!”

            “They said my voice was decent,” I said. “But I sang with a lot of emotion, so I was offered a spot in the club. Meetings are Monday, Wednesday, Friday till 5 so you and I won’t be able to walk home on those days.”

            “That’s fine,” Taehyung said. “I’ll just wait for you and we can still walk home together. I’ll just hang out outside doing homework.”

            “Are you sure?” I asked. “I don’t want you to be board.”

            “I’ll be fine,” Taehyung said smiling as we got our stuff to go home. “I’m so happy for you Jin. I expect you to have tons of solos.”

            We left the school walking home talking about the music club and what might happen tomorrow and who else was in the club.

Please leave a comment if you want to~ ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G8NsysTO3E - Super Junior K.R.Y., Sky