His Birthday.

Marrying the Bully

It was a perfect sunny day to celebrate Woobin’s birth day. The sun was shinning brightly as the wind blows softly. 

Hyungsik’s family’s villa was a 3-hour drive from Seoul. It wasn’t the first time for Woobin to go there since he, Hyungsik and Eunhyuk used to cut classes and hang around there. 

Park Hyungsik, in his white tank top and boxer shorts, were already grilling meat when Sora and Woobin arrived. 

“Happy birthday, Woobin my man!” He hugged the latter and gently kissed his cheeks, leaving the one feeling grossed out. “I thought you’ll never come.” He said and turned to Sora. “Anyeong Sora-ya. I’m glad you came.” 

“Yah, what happened to your manners. How come you talk to her casually? You’re not even close.”

“Close? We’re close.” Hyungsik winked at Sora.

“Close, my foot.” Woobin hissed. “Will you please, for once, get dressed first before talking to her, Park Hyungsik.” 

“Wae? What’s wrong with this?” He said as he turned around to show what he’s wearing. “Do I need to show you what ‘undress’ mean so you’ll appreciate how dress I am? Tell me, I’ll be glad.” 

Just then, Eunhyuk and the girls arrived. Sora and Woobin was surprised to see that aside from their friends, another guest arrived. 

“Woah, I see a new face here!” Hyungsik exclaimed as he clapped his hands excitedly. “I love it. Good job Eunhyuk for recruiting.”

“Actually, Sena’s mom asked me if he could tag along. I mean, how can I refuse? Future in laws, good side.” Eunhyuk mumbled eyeing at Woobin.

“No worries, Hyuk.” Woobin smirked. “Anyeong, brother.” 

“I didn’t know you’re like this. A kid celebrating his birthday.” Lee Jonghyun stared then smirked at Woobin.

“And you, the gate crasher. The kid who was watching afar because no one invited him.” He said and clucked his tongue.

“Yah, save the drama and fight for later when everyone gets bored.” Hyungsik hanged his arms around Woobin and Jongyun’s shoulders. “Why don’t I show you, especially the girls, around?”

“Yah, show us our rooms first so I can drop these bags.” Eunhyuk said. 

 

“You know, there are 8 rooms in this villa. But to make this exciting, I only got 3 keys.” 

 

“I’ll take one room. I don’t want to breath the same air he’s breathing.” Jonghyun said as he removed Hyungsik’s arms around his neck. 

 

“I’ll take that privilege away from you.”  Woobin said with a smirk plastered on his face. “Because I’m sleeping with my wife.” He said and held Sora’s hand tightly. 

 

“Y-yah.” Sora mumbled. Everyone was surprised to hear what Woobin just said. 

 

“What did you say? Aren’t you going overboard? Let Sora stay with Sena and Yeonseo while you stay with Eunhyuk and Hyungsik.” 

 

“Why would we do that? Married couples don’t do that.” Woobin flashed an insulting smile. “Let’s go, Sora-ya.” He said and pulled Sora along with him. 

 

 

 

“What was that?” Sora asked Woobin when they got inside the room. 

 

“Hmm? What is?” He was carefully putting their bags on the floor. 

 

“That drama earlier and for your information, I’m not sleeping with you, ert.” Sora folded her arms. 

 

“Wae? This is what normal couple do, right.” He said in his most sensual voice as he step towards her, pinning Sora on the wall.

 

“Ya, get off me!” She shouted as she tried to remove his arms that pinned her. “Ya Kim Woobin! I’m not playing with you!”

 

“So am I.” He said as he slowly move his face closer to Sora. At first, he was just playing with her but as he move closer to her lips, felt her breath and saw her closed her eyes, he didn’t want to fight the urge anymore. He kissed her! His lips landed on hers and move gently. He was so thrilled when he felt her kisses too. His hands, that were placed on the wall earlier, was now cupping her face as they kisses each other. 

 

Sora quickly pushed him when she came back to her senses. “Y-ya...” she stutter. 

 

Woobin, on the other hand, turned his back quickly. He managed to pull the curtain that covers the gigantic glass window. He knew that Sora will like the view that’s why he hurriedly chose the room for her.

 

Woobin wasn’t mistaken. Her eyes almost popped with all the greens and the view of the city, as if nothing happened between them earlier.  Hyungsik’s family villa was located in a higher ground. 

 

“Aren’t you coming? I bet they’re waiting for us.” Woobin said holding the door knob. 

 

“Where did all my clothes go?” Sora hysterically said while eyeing at her almost empty luggage. “I honestly remember putting everything in here! But now there’s nothing here!” 

 

“Are you sure? You were running here and there this morning.” Woobin lied, suppressing his laughter. 

 

“What, am I dreaming then?” Even Sora questioned herself. 

 

“See, I told you to prepare the night before. I’ll head out first.” He said so since he can’t control his laugher anymore. 

 

 

 

“Happy Birthday Kim Woobin!” Eunhyuk and Hyungsik cheered before clinking their glasses with Woobin. 

 

“I never got to say this but thanks guys for all these years.” Woobin said, almost whispering. 

 

“Woah. I’m not gonna die tonight, right?” Hyungsik playfully said. “I never expected to hear it from you.”

 

“Even I was surprised.” Eunhyuk joined the teasing.

 

“Woobin-ah, I bet you enjoy being married.” Hyungsik playfully teased Woobin while he followed Hyungsik’s gaze. 

 

It was Sora! She was walking to her friends in the pool side wearing a red bikini top and short shorts. She was baring a lot of skin. 

 

“That psycho...” Woobin mumbled and stood up from his seat leaving the two guys shocked. 

 

 

 

 

Sora was about to dip in the pool when she felt  someone grabbed her in the arm. 

 

“W-wae?!” Her heart started to pound like crazy when their eyes met. She didn’t know why but he looks so mad. She tried her best to pull her arms from his grasp but she failed. 

 

“Let’s talk.” He replied before turning away leaving the girls worried.

 

“Woobin’s eyes were scary.” Yeonseo whispered at Sora. “What’s his problem?”

 

“Do you want me to come with you? He’s so scary.” Sena added.

 

“No. He’s not like that.” Sora, though confused, defended her husband. “Catch up with you later.” She said and followed Woobin. 

 

Sora followed her husband until they reached the villa’s garden. They were quite far from the pool side and they could occasionally hear some car passing in front of the villa. 

 

“What?” Sora asked Woobin. She could only see his back until he faced her. His face was screaming anger. 

 

“What are you wearing?” He said calmly but his eyes were glaring.

 

“This?” Sora laughed. “I really don’t know what had happened but luckily I found this on my way to the car and I grabbed it. Nice, right?”

 

“Go and change.” He said, still glaring.

 

“Change? Wae?” Sora said and chuckled.

 

“Didn’t you hear me? Go and change.” His voice was more of “ordering” than “asking.”

 

“Yah, as much as I want to change... I can’t. I don’t have anything else to wear.”

 

Sora was struck with what Woobin did next. He removed his shirt and threw it on her face.

 

“Yah Kim Woobin!” 

 

“Wear that.” He said. “I didn’t throw those stupid whatever for you to have that.”

 

“See! I knew it. I knew it was you all along!” Sora crossed her arms in front of her. “You mean jerk! How could you do that to my precious things!” Sora said as her eyes narrowed in anger.

 

“Just wear that shirt or do you want me to put that on you?!” His voice was starting to get loud too.

 

“I don’t care!” She shouted back. “And what is it to you? I want to wear this and I will wear what I want!” 

 

“Yah, as long as you’re my wife you’re not going to wear anything like that, you idiot.” 

 

Sora’s knees started to tremble. What did she just heard? 

 

Since Sora didn’t move an inch, Woobin took the initiative to put his shirt on her while Sora was just staring at him. He smiled a bit and looked satisfied when Sora finally had his shirt on.

 

“See. If you just listen to me from the start then there wouldn’t be anything like screaming and cursing. Let’s go.” Woobin was already few steps away but Sora was still standing behind. 

 

“Wait. Did that psycho got mad at me?” Sora mumbled by herself. “Wae? Because I wore this?” She said and examined her clothes.

 

“Yah Kang Sora.” Woobin called out. “You’re mine, arasso?” He even winked before walking again.

 

“Oh my dear heart.” She could just only mumbled as her knees started to tremble again! “Falling is not allowed, Kang Sora. It’s definitely not.” 

 

Everyone, even Lee Jonghyun, was already sitting in one table when Sora came. They were surprised to see Sora wearing Woobin’s shirt but Sora was more surprised when she finally realised that Woobin was half ! 

 

“Yah, sit here.”

 

She felt electrify as soon as Woobin’s hand landed on her arms, pulling and trying to make her sit. 

 

“Can’t you put a shirt on?” Because you’re distracting me, she wanted to say but instead she sat beside him. 

 

“Wae? Eunhyuk and Hyunsik’s like this too.” 

 

Sora’s eyes wandered. He’s right, but she didn’t realized that they were. 

 

“This is the first activity I prepared for Woobin’s birthday.” Park Hyungsik said excitedly. “Spin the bottle, Park Hyungsik style!” 

 

“Yah, what are we- high schoolers?” Yeonseo asked with her raised eyebrow, feeling annoyed.

 

“Ani. But with these!” Hyuksik cheerfully pulled a bucket filled with beers, whiskey, wine and champagne dipped in ice.

 

Sora shook her head heavily, not “spin the bottle” or “truth or dare” again especially with that amount of alcohol. She’s in so much trouble because of that game!

 

“Let’s just do something else. How about we swim? We don’t want to waste this precious villa Park Hyungsik and his family generously lend to us.” Sora was all smile as she suggested but her hands were shaking. ‘say yes, say yes’ was her non-stop thoughts. 

 

While the wife was busy worrying, Woobin from the side can’t hide his smirks since he knew why Sora suggested it. But instead of helping and understanding her, he never plan to help her. 

 

“Sora’s right. Let’s just swim and wander around.” Jonghyun said as his eyes were on Sora. 

 

“Don’t worry Sora-shi and Jonghyun-shi, my parents didn’t lend me this. I just took the keys.” Hyungsik said while smiling like a mischievous boy before posing with a v-pose.  

 

“As expected from Hyungsik.” Eunhyuk laughed as he clapped his hands. 

 

“Of course. Who do you take me for?” Hyunsik proudly answered while Eunhyuk flashed him his heart fingers. “So, let’s spin the bottle - Park Hyungsik style!” 

 

The bottle spin as well as Sora’s heart and brain. 

 

“Yah, are you ok?” Woobin whispered.

 

“Ssshh. Shut it.” Was all she could manage to reply while Woobin laughed annoyingly. 

 

As if the whole universe and stars aligned to tease the nervous Kang Sora, the bottle’s mouth pointed at her.

 

“Kang Sora-sshi, it’s your time.” Hyungsik said with a wide smile plastered on his face. “You have to answer our dear question or drink this.” He said as he mixed both the wine and beer in a big mug. “And the question for you..” 

 

Sora’s heart was thumping so fast as if it will explode. 

 

“When was your last kiss?!” Hyungsik excitedly asked followed by everyone’s teasing and giggles. 

 

Sora, as if not thinking, quickly pulled the mug and drank the whole contents of it, surprising everyone around.

 

“Woah, daebak!” Hyungsik clapped his hand. “This girl can drink!”

 

“Ya, you didn’t put drugs in it, right?” She asked after putting down the mug, drinking everything in one shot. 

 

“Are you ok?” Jonghyun, who was sitting beside her, asked while Sora nodded in reply. 

 

“I was surprised when Sora drank it.” Sena said.

 

“Me too.” Yeonseo agreed. “Was it really that hard to answer and you needed to drink it in one shot?”

 

Sora’s face turned red. “Y-ya, why are you still asking when I already drank it?”

 

“But when you look from this side, Woobin’s also blushing!” Eunhyuk added making Woobin blushed more.

 

“You know I’m naturally like this!” 

 

“Ok. Let’s move on.” Hyungsik said and put the bottle on the table. “It’s already confirmed-Sora and Woobin kissed RECENTLY.” he said stressing the last part.

 

“Ya!” The two both shouted, making everyone teased them more. (except Jonghyun:p)

 

The bottle spin and it pointed out to Eunhyuk, Yeonseo and Sena.

 

The bottle spin again until it pointed to Jonghyun. The group looked at each other, as if hesitating to ask.

 

“Oh, it’s Jonghyun! It’s Jonghyun!” Yeonseo exclaimed. “Ya, we haven’t see you since... I don’t know!” She laughed. 

 

“Aissh, she’s becoming really annoying.” Eunhyuk said while scratching his head. “As if the ‘undrunk’ Yeonseo is not annoying enough. We shouldn’t let her drink. She’s really the worst when drunk.”

 

“Ya, Lee Sena’s namja. I can hear you!” Yeonseo shouted. 

 

“Let me smack this woman for once!” Eunhyuk playfully raised his hand. “For sure she won’t remember any tommorow. It’s revenge time!”

 

“Let’s just focus on one man today... and it’s Lee Jonghyun, the guy who just lost his love because of you!” 

 

Sora’s eyes widened when Yeonseo pointed at Woobin. “Ya, Yeonseo’s drunk. L-let’s just stop here.”

 

“Ani, Sora-ya.” She said and smiled sweetly. “This is my question for Jonghyun. Have you moved on? I mean, I know everyone here is just as curious, they just don’t have the guts to ask. How- just how did you manage to be here when you know that Sora and Woobin’s here.”

 

“Y-you don’t have to answer, Jonghyun. She’s definitely drunk.” Sora mumbled, almost whispering.

 

“I’m also curious.” Woobin said eyeing at his glass of beer. 

 

“Ya, Kim Woobin..” Sora hit his arm lightly to stop him.

 

Jonghyun released a soft chuckle. “I haven’t thought about that.” He said. “Whether I had moved on or not, but all I know is that I want to see her even if it means I need to ‘gate crash’.”

 

Everyone was silent, even the jolly ‘class clown’ and the drunk ‘sharp-tongue’ woman. Kim Woobin was still eyeing at his glass, occasionally twirling it.  

 

“Y-you didn’t have to answer that, Jonghyun.” Lee Sena broke the ice. “L-let’s move forward, shall we Hyungsik?”

 

“O-of course!” Hyungsik laughed awkwardly. He grabbed the bottle and spin it once more. The bottle spin again until it pointed to Woobin.

 

“Kim Woobin, the birthday boy.”

 

He slowly lifted his eyes off the glass and stared at the bottle. He was enjoying their game but got pissed all of a sudden. 

 

“Kim Woobin-sshi, we all know the ‘luxury life’ you have but please tell us about your first love.” Lee Sena asked courteously. 

 

“Well, we’ve been friends but now I realised you haven’t really tell us about it.” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Right!” Hyungsik joined the teasing.

 

Sora was also curious but she kept silent.

 

“Don’t be a kill joy. Everyone answered so you should do your part.” Jonghyun said coldly.

 

He smirked. “Arasso.” He put the glass down, folded his arms in front of him and leaned his back on the chair. “My first love? I guess on lower school?” 

 

“I was this sickly, thin transferee and everyone in my class was always picking on me.”

 

The group was surprised to find out that the bully was actually bullied in lower school. 

 

“They would pull, push, smack me in the head and showered me with the trashes from the bin. Since I was so small all I could do was to glare at them, they will get angry so they’ll kick me in the stomach.” He said. “One day, those stupid kids came to me again. They told me how they failed their tests and how their parents are gonna scold them so they need something to vent on. They started to punch and smack me until I fell on the ground, then they started to kick me. But then, this girl came.” 

 

Sora’s surprised at how his face lit up. It was just moments ago when his face was all gloomy, but lit up instantly with just the memory of his first love.

 

“She was a lot bigger than me but I knew her since we’re from the same class. She stopped those stupids and beat all the guys herself. At the end, they left because of her. I remember her scolding me for not standing up for myself.. and for allowing them to look down on me. She even told me she would kill me if she saw me being bullied again. From that day, I told myself that that will never happen to me again.”

 

“So your first love inspired you to become the bully you are now.” Sora said all of a sudden.

 

“Why? Are you jealous?” He asked with an evil smile plastered on his face.

 

“Jealous, my foot.”

 

“Ya Sora-ya, put aside your jealousy.” Eunhyuk teased. “But did you tell her you like her?”

 

“Ani. I transferred again during the next semester.” 

 

“That’s kinda nice story.” Eunhyuk commented. “Did you meet her after that? I wonder where she is now.”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s married. It’s been years.” Woobin said.

 

Decades. Sora wanted to interrupt but she didn’t.

 

“Really? Aissh, it would be nice if you two would meet up and then she’ll know how she helped you to become the monster you are now.” Sora said.

 

“Ya, you don’t have to be that bitter! That’s all in the past now!” 

 

“Hah! Yeonseo sure is really, absolutely, no-question-asked drunk right now.” She said as she fanned herself. “Let’s get going. It’s getting hot.”

 

“Thank you Kim Woobin.” Sena said gently. “It must be difficult for you to tell that story but still you did. It was nice to see and hear this side of you.” 

 

 

 

After their game, everyone went to their rooms. Sora helped Sena to bring Yeonseo to their room while Woobin hang out with Eunhyuk and Hyungsik in their room. Jonghyun insisted to stay outside, maybe because he wasn’t comfortable to be with his ‘brother.’ 

 

Jonghyun was in the villa’s garden, where Sora and Woobin talked earlier. The view and the cold wind was making him feel at ease.

 

“Jonghyun-ah.” 

 

He looked back to see Sora standing behind him. He was surprised but a shy smile crept on his face.

 

“Sora-ya.” He mumbled. “Have you been well?”

 

She nodded. “How about you? Are you still attending school?”

 

“Yes.” He replied. “It was tiring but I need to do it. I’ll graduate next year. You’re coming, right?”

 

She nodded. “We will come.” 

 

“I miss this.” He said while staring at her. “I miss us.” 

 

“Honestly, I miss this too.” Sora said and stood beside Jonghyun, facing the view of the city. “I miss talking to the calm and relax Lee Jonghyun.”

 

“Wae? Is he not treating you well?”

 

“He does. He treats me so well.” She said and smiled. “I just forgot everything and talking to you here making me realized how much I miss the things I enjoyed before.”

 

“Do you regret it? I mean, getting married?”

 

“It’s for my family, so I don’t.” She replied shortly.

 

Jonghyun nodded slowly. “Do I still have a place in your heart, Sora-ya?” 

 

Sora was taken aback. She didn’t expect their ‘casual, and friendly’ talk to escalate to this serious talk. 

 

“I mean, I can see that you’re falling for him.” 

 

“Ya, t-that’s not true. He’s really annoying.” She replied though her heart was beating fast. 

 

Jonghyun gave a short laugh. “We used to laugh together like that... and you used to look and smile at me like that.” 

 

“J-Jonghyun-ah...”

 

“I’m ok. Don’t worry about me.” He said and smiled. 

 

“Jonghyun-ah, remember that day when I told you to not wait for me-“ 

 

“My answer’s still the same, Sora-ya.” He said and cut her. “I’ll wait until I love you.”

 

 

 

Sena’s on the way to get Yeonseo a cup of coffee in the kitchen and was surprised to see the displeased Kim Woobin, glaring at something from a far. Her eyes widened when she realised he was staring at Jonghyun and Sora.

 

“Kim Woobin-shi.” She said. “Are you waiting for Sora?”

 

“Ani, I just went here because the room is stuffy.” He replied without taking his eyes off the two.

 

“I’m on my way to the kitchen, do you want something?” 

 

“No, thank you.” Still, he hadn’t remove his eyes off the two.

 

“Wouldn’t it be nice for them to have to a closure?”

 

This time, Woobin turned his back and saw Sena smiling at him. 

 

“Everything came in a bliss, they didn’t have the chance to talk and straight things out between them.” She said eyeing at the two from afar. “Then, I’m off.”

 

Woobin followed her gaze with annoyance. If it wasn’t for Lee Eunhyuk, she’s already crawling in pain. 

 

 

 

Woobin was already in the room when Sora came back from talking to Jonghyun. He was laying in the bed, with his eyes shut.

 

She quickly grabbed something from her bag before sitting next to him.

 

“Ya, are you sleeping?” She asked. “Kim Woobin, are you sleeping?” She poked him too.

 

“Ya, are you sleeping?” This time, she hit him hard.

 

His eyes suddenly opened and was glaring at her. But he was surprised to see Sora, wearing a party hat, was holding a small cake with a lit candle.

 

“Happy Birthday, Woobin!” She said and quickly put on his birthday hat.

 

His heart melted but he can’t show it. 

 

“You woke me up because of this?” He lied because he wasn’t really sleeping. He was still annoyed because of what he saw and at the same time, waiting for her. 

 

Sora frowned. “Okay, I’ll take it back.”

 

“Ya! How can you take something that’s not yours.” He quickly grabbed Sora’s hand and moved closer to her.

 

Sora was pleased. “Close your eyes and make a wish before blowing the candle.”

 

“Ha, what am I? A kid?” He said sarcastically.

 

“I said, CLOSE YOUR EYES AND MAKE A WISH.”

 

“Arasso, arasso.” He obliged. The birthday boy closed his eyes for a second before blowing the candle. 

 

“This...” she shyly pulled a small box behind her. “Is my gift for you.”

 

In an instant, the gift was in Woobin’s hand. Like a kid who just received his first gift, he swiftly opened it.

 

“I couln’t think of anything else because you already have everything...” Sora said. “But then, I realised that you were always the first to come and help me, anytime. That’s why I thought of a watch.” 

 

But still, Woobin didn’t move. He was just staring at the watch he received.

 

“Give it back if you don’t like it!” She said and tried pulling it from his hands. 

 

“I didn’t say I don’t like it!” He said and pulled it back. “Ya, you do have a habit of taking back everything you gave!” 

 

“Aissh.” Sora frowned but then grabbed her phone. “Let’s take a picture. Who knows, this maybe the first and last to celebrate your birthday.” Sora moved closer to Woobin as she extends her arm to take the picture. 

 

“One, two, three!”

 

The picture came great - with Sora smiling beautifully and Woobin planting a kiss on her right cheek.

 

 

 

Days after Kim Woobin’s birthday, he and Sora’s back to their house. Sora was in the kitchen preparing their breakfast, while Woobin was upstairs taking a shower. Suddenly, the door swung open.

 

“So you’re Woobin-ah’s wife?” 

 

“Excuse me, who are you and how did you get in?” She asked the annoying woman who looked at her from head to foot. 

 

“Yah, what are you doing here?” Woobin shouted as he was going down the stairs. “Get out! Get out!” He shouted while pushing the woman out.