This is...unbelievable

Show Me

It’s a bright Wednesday morning and Hei Ryung and Yuri are on their way to a certain restaurant to meet the new designer.

Hei Ryung had decided to meet the said person. She wants to talk to him personally.

They made their way to their destination in silence since the latter is not feeling well.

“Are you sure you can talk to him properly?”

She briefly nodded. “I had met bigger clients in my worst state Yul. There is nothing to worry.”

Yul exhaled. “Sometimes I wish you’re not too obsessive with work.”

Hei Ryung grinned. “Just accept it Yul.”

A cheerful employee greeted them as they made their way to the reserved table. A man in his 50’s instantly stood up and bowed.

“Goodmorning Miss Kwon and Miss Kim.”

“Goodmorning Mr.Hwang.” Hei Ryung greeted back professionally.

Yuri just grinned at him. She had been comfortable to him because of their constant meeting and she admits that she likes him like her father.

“Let’s order for breakfast first before talking.” Hei Ryung said.

Yuri immediately gestured for the waiter to come along.

“Oh Miss Kim. I had taken breakfast already.” Mr.Hwang politely declined.

“I insist Mr.Hwang.” She briefly smiled.

“No one refuses a Kim Hei Ryung, Ahjussi.” Yuri whispered to the man and earned a light chuckle. Good thing Hei Ryung did not hear it or she’ll have to deal with her wrath.

The waiter came in an instant and took their orders swiftly.

“How are you ahjussi?” Yuri started the conversation while waiting for their foods.

“Same old Yuri-ah. You? You’re looking good than last week.”

“Oh stop it you.” She playfully nudged the man.

Hei Ryung watched them in silence. The interaction is quite amazing. It’s not something to be shocked about Yuri since she really is a cheerful friendly person.

He chuckled. “True. You look so inspired.”

“Just happy ahjussi. It’s just quite surprising that Hei Ryung decided to meet you. She’s not the kind of person who asks clients or whoever to meet her.”

“Yuri.” Hei Ryung gave her a stern look.

“Oh sorry.” Yuri grinned and earned a chuckle from the man once again.

Their foods arrived in no time and they soon found their selves in a comfortable breakfast.

“What do you do Mr.Hwang?” Hei Ryung asked as she placed her chopsticks down.

“I’m just an average father Ms.Kim.” he smiled. “Before my wife died, we had this firm that produces all kinds of designs since she really was good at it. But there are circumstances that I have to deal with so the firm bankrupt, unfortunately.”

“So I heard Mr.Hwang. I’m sorry about that.” Hei Ryung sincerely apologized.

“Oh no. No need to apologize Ms.Kim. That’s something that I had already accepted.”

“Accepted and planned to build up again.” Yuri interjected with a proud grin.

Mr.Hwang smiled.

“Why do you want to build it up again Mr.Hwang?” She asked directly.

“The same thing why your friend here wanted me to design for you Ms.Kim.” He answered as direct as her with a smile.

“I see.” She finally smiled. “I like your bluntness Mr.Hwang. It is something that can twist a person’s tongue. No wonder you once had a successful business.” And a blunt cheerful daughter.

“Great minds think alike Ms.Kim.” He chuckled then drank her coffee.

“I actually want to meet you to personally say thank you.” She smiled briefly and decided to open up. She’s not the kind of person who mixes business and personal life. But to tell him the truth behind it is the best thing she can do. “I had been working on this for almost half a year. But my stubborn father just kept on rejecting it. Saying that it isn’t the best.”

“As what I’ve told you Ahjussi. This girl is the best in all the things she does but can be the worst when it comes to her father.” Yuri scoffed.

“Yuri-ah, stop saying that I’m the best then later change it the worst will yah?” Hei Ryung pouted, unintentionally letting out her usual bickering with Yuri.

Mr.Hwang was quite surprised. True, Hei Ryung is very professional. He had heard a lot about her and all were saying how cold and unfriendly she is. But he is seeing the total opposite. At first he thought the same. But right now, she reminded him of her daughter. Stubborn but cute.

She realized her sudden outburst and briefly bowed to the amused man. “I’m sorry for the rude behavior Mr.Hwang.” she apologized and wears her poker face again.

Mr.Hwang chuckle. “It’s fine Ms.Kim. I totally understand. You must be full with Yuri’s teasing.”

“True. She got nothing better to do than to tease me. It’s a good thing that she doesn’t in front of the workers or she’ll go home jobless.” She snickered.

“Yah Kim Hei Ryung! Is that how you thank your best friend? I got the best designer and a threat is what I’ve got?!”

Mr.Hwang laughed.

“Eat Yul. That might help you turn fair.”

“This grumpy little…” she pointed her chopsticks to her best friend. “You eat! That might help your skin tone down!” she sulked.

Mr.Hwang just shook his head and continued eating. He can’t believe that he’ll deal with the same scene at home and outside.

They ate in silence and only engaged in small talks like how should he start the firm, how many employees does he need and some memories he had with his wife and daughter.

“Oh I remember.” He reached out for his backpack when the waiter had cleaned their table. “Here. This is just a rough draft but I hope you’ll like it.” He handed her an envelope.

Hei Ryung accepted it, opened and took out a drafting paper. She smiled widely at the sight and took time to admire it. “This is…” she looked for a proper word. “perfect Mr.Hwang”

He sighed in relief. “I suppose that you like it?”

“Very.” She placed the paper back inside and handed him back the envelope grinning. She gave her a confident encouraging smile. “I might consider asking you to tutor me.”

He laughed. “Your skills are better than mine Ms.Kim.”

“Don’t say that Mr.Hwang” she politely dismissed him. “My dark friend here won’t get you if you are not.”

“Thank you.” He placed the envelope back to his bag. “I’ll give you the final design maybe by tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? That fast Ahjussi?” Yuri exclaimed in amazement. She looked at the two who are enjoying the conversation. “If I don’t know any better, I would say that Hei Ryung here is your daughter. She works as fast as you and as obsessive as you.”

“Should I take that as a compliment?” Hei Ryung looked at her.

“Up to you.” She smiled.

“Anyway, meet me at the office when you’re done Mr.Hwang. We might also talk about the deal. Just bring the information and plan and we’ll discuss about it.”

He nodded. “Is tomorrow fine?”

“Tomorrow it is. Shall we call it a day?”

“Sure.”

The three of them went out of the restaurant while constantly exchanging conversations.

“Where are you heading to Mr.Hwang? We can drop you there.”

“Oh Thank you Ms.Kim. But I’ll just take a cab. I don’t want to hassle you.”

The sentence reminded Hei Ryung about the man’s daughter.

“You have a daughter, right?”

Mr.Hwang looked at her confusedly but still nodded.

Hei Ryung sensed the confused stare so she immediately reasoned out. “Yuri told me about how you two met and it concerns about your daughter.”

“Ah. I see. Yes I have. I bet you three will be friends in an instant. She’s loud but friendly.” He smiled. “Maybe someday you’ll get to meet her.”

“We will Mr.Hwang.” she smiled. I hope not.

She wants to ask why his daughter hated cab when he is somehow okay riding it. But she decided not to, she doesn’t want to sound nosy. Not that she’s thinking about her. She just so happen to think why the said girl seemed to be frightened even in her sleep.

She shook the thought off. She has nothing to do with the girl anyway. She helped her and that’s it. Nothing more.

“I’ll be going now Ms. Kim” He then looked at the person beside the latter. “Yuri.”

“Bye ahjussi! Call me if you’ll go to company.” She grinned.

He nodded and entered the cab that stopped right in front of them.

“He’s nice.” Hei Ryung commented then took her way to the car with Yuri trailing behind, smiling.

 

 

****

 

“Miss Kim?”

“hmm?”

“Someone is looking for you.”

She rubbed her tired eyes, closed her laptop lid then looked up.

“Who?”

“Ms.Hwang”

Her brows raised. Ms.Hwang? Not Mr.?

Anyway, she met him three days ago to discuss about the plan. The design was done and as promised, they met up at the office.

 As far as she remembered she hasn’t had an appointment with the said girl. Plus, it’s kinda surprising for her to come to the office when they don’t even know each other aside from their respective names.

But then again, Ms.Hwang could be there in behalf of her father to talk about business. She pretty much expected it though. This kind of meeting, that is. She is the daughter after all. She can always replace her father’s.

“Let her in.”

The secretary nodded and there in a pretty girl in her usual bright smile.

“Hello!” Tiffany greeted cheerfully.

“Hello to you too.” Hei Ryung greeted passively. She gestured the girl to sit.

“Thank you.”

“What brings you here, Ms.Hwang?” she leaned on her sit and crossed her arms. She's not that fond of small talks.

Tiffany instantly jerked up. Surprised that the girl still recognized her. Did she remember me or just because the secretary mentioned my name?.

“Eeerr…” she started to fidget. The confidence that she has been wearing since the day she woke up immediately sunk. All the constant practices on how to persuade the young businesswoman melted in the air, exchanged into messy ideas.

Hei Ryung just observed the lady in front of her, waiting for her to talk.

“I don’t have all the time Ms.Hwang.” she impatiently cut Tiffany’s silence.

“Oh. Sorry.” She bowed down a little. “Uhm. To start with.” She cleared . “Can you still remember me?” She awkwardly smiled.

Hei Ryung nodded once.

At least I don’t have to go through events to remind her. Tiffany sighed in relief though heart kept on beating so hard because of nervousness. Plus, the intense empty stare the girl in front of her is not helping..

 “Oh-kay.” She inhaled deeply. “I’m gonna go straight to the point.”

Hei Ryung kept silent as she reached out for her bottle of water placed near her. She felt the need to drink since she really hasn’t taken lunch and dinner.

“Marry me.”

Hei Ryung choked. “Cough!…cough!”

“Oh my God!” Tiffany exclaimed.

She grabbed a napkin from her purse and ran towards the choking girl. She took the bottle out of the latter’s grip, closed the lid and placed it on the table.

Hei Ryung took the napkin then dismissed the girl by the hand.

Tiffany immediately went back to her seat. Looking at Hei Ryung concernedly. She’s not dying, is she? .She asked herself when Hei Ryung’s coughing hadn’t stopped at all.

After a few seconds, Hei Ryung was able to breath normally again. She blinked her eyes, inhaled deeply then looked at Tiffany who is biting her lower lip. “What did you say?” she asked as calmly as she can.

“Look.” Tiffany straightened up, ready to explain. “Honestly? I’m not asking you this because I want to. But because I have to.”

“Excuse me?”

“Remember that night when you saw me drunk at the bar? I was honestly trying to drown myself in liquor hoping that it might help forget those unwanted memories.”  She started to explain. “I don’t have any choice but to do this so please help me?” she fidgets her fingers. She knows that her explanation is not enough, and that Hei Ryung would probably ask more.

Hei Ryung looked at her in disbelief. She was asked to marry the said girl, almost died because of coughing due to shock and is now told that the latter is doing this because she doesn’t have a choice. She shook her head. Her blood starting to boil up. “Do you think I’ll marry you because of that?! Can you hear yourself?!”

Tiffany flinched at the loud voice.

Hei Ryung immediately averted her eyes outside her glass office. She doesn’t want anyone to walk pass them and hear their conversation.

“Look Ms.Hwang…In case you didn’t know, marriage is a crucial thing. You can’t just ask someone to marry you out of the blue because you just felt the need to do so. You have to balance the costs of such an action.” She sighed to calm down herself and observed the girl. She shake her head. “You must have read the article about my preference…if not, you won’t be here asking me boldly.”

Tiffany nodded her head.

She scoffed. “This is insane.” She mumbled. “What made you do this Ms.Hwang? I bet that that certain memory you are saying is not a good one.” She remembered the night when she heard the latter’s mumbles in her sleep. Her face softened. This girl might be holding it for long that she can’t escape even in her supposed to be peaceful state.

She decided to be friendlier, maybe at least that way she can understand her. “Care to tell me?”

“I’m…” Tiffany breathed. She has no choice but to tell her. That was the plan anyway. To tell her honestly so she can be understood. “I’m pregnant.”

She blinked.

“Didn’t you hear me? I’m pregnant.”

“What?!” Hei Ryung finally caught up the sudden revelation.

“I’m carrying a month old child.”

She tried to sink in the information. She had never buffered in her life but this. She might have never known more about the girl but hearing her say it, her mind turned blank.

There then she remembered about the girl’s father. “Does your father even know about it?”

Tiffany looked up. Eyes wide. “Y-you know him?!”

Hei Ryung raised her brows. So she doesn’t know that I’ve met and have had business with him? “Does he?” she avoided the question. She doesn’t want to say ‘no’ cause it would be considered lying and can’t say ‘Yes’ either cause Mr.Hwang might have some other reason for not informing his daughter.

A shake of head.

She sighed loudly. “Why did you keep this away from him?”

“I…” she bowed down her head. “I don’t want to hurt him.” She mumbled.

So he really was clueless. No wonder.

“But do you think you’re not hurting him right now? He has the right to know about the child. He is going to be a grandfather soon.”

“I know. If only I can just blatantly tell him, I will. But…sigh… you don’t understand.”

“Then make me.”

Tiffany looked up. The once shocked look Hei Ryung had changed into a gentler one. She gulped. “Just marry me Hei Ryung.”

“Why should I marry you when you can’t even give me a proper reason to do so?” she tilted her head. “How would I know that you are not some kind of a gold digger…”

“am not!” Tiffany cut her.

“…who is just acting up to gain the prior motive?” she continued. She knows she sounded heartless but she can’t let her guards down, not when she’s totally unconvinced.

“Wh-what?!”

“you heard me.”

“I’m not that kind of person!” she stood up and childishly banged the table.

Hei Ryung jerked.

“I’m not after your money Kim Hei Ryung! I don’t care if you poop gold or you pee coins! All I want is to have this child a father, get it done and that’s it!”

“Woah! Woah! Easy there.” Hei Ryung tried to calm down the flaming woman. Workers might happen to pass by. But she admits that it’s her fault for making the latter heat up.

After a few minutes, Tiffany finally caught her composure back. She hated what Hei Ryung had said but she doesn’t have to fire up. That was a pure assumption and she can’t blame her since she really did not tell her the story behind it. Not when she’s not sure enough that the woman will marry her. Who knows the girl will spread it. “So, what do you say?”

“about?”

“Proposal.”

Hei Ryung scoffed. And you call that proposal. “It’s quite refreshing to have someone propose to me late at night, here in the office and almost killed me with a shock.” She chuckled. “And I admit that you’re pretty.”

Tiffany instantly blushed; both because of embarrassment due to her bold move and because of the unexpected complement.

“I can say that you’re quite a good catch. Physically I mean…But I don’t think I don’t have any reason to marry you and claim your child as mine” she flinched at the last word. She’s aware of the artificial methods but she still can’t believe that she’s saying it. It sounds so wrong.

“B-but….”

“It’s a no Ms.Hwang.” A pause. “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m still a human. I’m not a thing that you can just use whenever you need to do so. Business aside, but this is an insult in my part.” A sigh. “It’s a pleasure talking to you.” she inhaled deeply to calm down herself “I believe that I had given you an answer. So please go home safely. I still have things to finish.” She politely dismissed the stoned girl and proceeded to turn her hibernated laptop back on.

Tiffany sighed. She’s disappointed.  Sad.  Rejected. Down. Retched. Dejected.

She had never experienced rejected. Much more to a girl. Not that she had tried confessing though. She is always the one being asked. Not the other way around. I guess beauty doesn’t apply at this state, huh?

Hei Ryung sensed the girl’s sudden gloomy aura. She somehow felt bad. “Have you brought your car this time?”

Tiffany looked up only to see a typing Hei Ryung. She nodded though she knows the latter might not see it.

“Okay then.” Hei Ryung looked at her. “Drive safely.”

Tiffany puffed her cheeks. I’m not giving up Hei Ryung. This is for me and the baby…And If I can’t make you agree tonight then I’ll try tomorrow.. There are still lots of tomorrows anyway before my tummy grows.  She beamed her eye-smile “Be seeing you Hei Ryung.” then walked out of the room.

Hei Ryung was left shocked. Is she some kind of a bipolar? Or just plainly crazy? “Tsk tsk tsk…What a loss.”

She shook her head then bought her attention back to what she was doing.

“Ah wait.”

The voice made her look up once again.

Tiffany is back inside the office then looked at her for a second with a sly smirk. “I heard your father’s coming next week.”

Hyei Ryung furrowed her brows. “Who told you?”

A smile.

“What are you trying to say Miss Hwang?”

A shrug. “I just want to say that I can’t wait to see my future father-in-law.”

“huh?”

She smirked. “Be seeing you in a week Ryung-ah.” And she took her graceful exit without forgetting to wink.

“Y-yah!” Hyei Ryung harshly stood up from her seat, almost toppling her seat in the process. “Miss Hwang!”

She was about to run to stop the girl from leaving but her phone suddenly rang. She cursed. “Crap!”

She harshly picked her phone from her table and answered without looking who the caller is. “What?!”

“Is this how you answer a phone call Kim Hei Ryung?” The voice from the other line said.

Hei Ryung’s brows furrowed. She took the phone away from her ear to check the caller, only to see an unknown number. “Who’s this?”

 “So forgetful. I just walked out from your office.” A chuckle. “Anyway, be a good girl this week Ryung-ah…And don’t forget to give my regards to your father. Take care!”

The call ended.

Hyei Ryung stared at her phone in this belief. Brows furrowed, eyes widened and mouth agape. “This is…unbelievable.”