Persuade Her

Show Me

 

“Goodmorning tall thin snowman!”

Hei Ryung looked up from her laptop when she heard the happy greeting. “Good morning Black tall annoying pearl.” She greeted back.

“Yah! That hurts you know.”

She shrugged. “You asked for it.” She stealthily looked at her best friend “Where we’re you anyway? I only gave you a day off. Not a month off.” She asked her.

It’s been a month after their last encounter with the girl called Hwang and a month that Yuri never came back to the office. She tried to call her but all she got is a reason saying that she’s meeting an important person.

“You don’t happen to replace me, do you?”

She looked at her. “What if I did?”

Yuri gasped. “Some best friend you are.”

She shrugged. “Business is business Yul. Work is work. You literally left your boss behind for a month. You we’re hired as an assistant for a reason.”

“Correction. It’s ‘you left your BEST FRIEND for a month’ and it’s ‘you SUGGESTED to be my assistant’…. Form your sentence properly, okay?” she sulked.

“Now you’re ordering me?”

She grinned. “Not really. I just happen to like bossing around. I refused Dad’s offer to start my own firm for you, you know.”

“And I’m supposed to thank you?”

“Yes you should! If you did not only go berserk after that whatshername’s leave, I wouldn’t suggest being your assistant.”

She chuckled. “you really hated her guts huh.”

“That I admit. But I still love her. She was our best friend after all. I just hated her for hurting you like that.”

Hei Ryung smiled albeit the pain. “Thanks Yul…For not leaving me, that is.”

“Awwee my Ryungie.” She sighed dramatically. “I never thought you could be this sweet. But I prefer you not get used to it. I like the sarcastic cold unpredictable you.”

“Should I take that as a compliment?”

“Yes.” She grinned.

Hei Ryung shook her head while chuckling. “Why are you so happy anyway? What happened during your sudden month leave?”

“I met this guy...”

Hei Ryung closed her laptop lid in an instant. “Finally!” she exclaimed.

“Not that kind of guy little freak snowman.”

“Oh.” she popped her chin. “Continue then. Ah wait, I’m too petite for a snowman. Pshh~”

Yuri ignored the protest “As what I’ve said, I met this guy. He was looking for a certain pretty eye-smiling girl.” She eyed her best friend as she carefully said the last sentence.

“Then?” Hei Ryung gestured Yuri to continue when she suddenly stopped talking, just staring at her. Expecting for a reaction.

“You’re  not getting who he was looking for?”

She shrugged. “I have met lots of people with eye-smiles in my whole life Yul. I don’t even recognize some of them anymore.”

“Ahh, I see” A pause “A loud pretty eye-smiling drunk-girl-who-I-saw-you-making-out-outside-the-bar then?”

Hei Ryung straightened up.

“Familiar?”

Yuri did not want a word from the person across her. “I met her father.”

Hei Ryung blinked. “So?”

“The husband of the late Mrs.Hwang. The owner of the Hwang designs that bankrupt after his wife’s death.”

She thought for a second and nodded her head. “I see…So you met her father, and then?”

“I offered him something.”

“And that is?”

“He will design for that product you’ve been stressing out lately and you’ll help him build his own firm once again. You need that certain design to finally own this firm and gain your Dad’s trust, right?”

“Wait..” Hei Ryung leaned on her table. “You bargained something for me without my consent?”

“Yes.” Yuri proudly answered.

“Wow!” Hei Ryung sarcastically exclaimed. “What if dad won’t approve his design? How am I supposed to help him?!”

“Nah. You’re one heck of a rich kid Ryung. You can even buy a company in just a single snap.” Yuri dismissed her.

“You and your exaggeration.”

“I swear he’ll do good. I felt his sincerity. Let’s just trust him with this, okay? You’ll gain your father’s trust and this company in no time.”

She shook her head. Her best friend is really something. Annoying, bossy and nosy sometimes but is helpful in a way. “The next thing I know, you already arranged me a marriage with a hobo.”

“Why not?”

“Yah!”

Yuri laughed. “Just kidding Ryung, anyway, relax a bit. I’m handling everything. I know your very perspective and intelligent in this field, but you kept on panicking when it deals with you father. And an idiot you follows.”

“Hey, that’s harsh Yul.” She pouted.

“True, businessman won’t come kneeling to you begging for partnership if you’re not.  But as what I’ve said, you’re an idiot when it comes to your father. Work it out buddy.” She stood up. “I better get going now; I still need to see his progress. And!” she pointed at her best friend. “Don’t you dare replace me. Got that Ryung? You won’t be able to find an assistant like me.”

“Y-yes Assistant Y-yul.” She playfully stuttered.

“Good. Now go back to work Boss.” She grinned and waved goodbye.

“Bye Yul. Thank you. And please adjust my schedule. I want to meet him in person.”

Yuri playfully saluted and made her way out of the building.

 

****

 

“Fany-ah! Are you fine?!” Sunny leaned her ear on the bathroom door.

She and Jessica purposely took a leave at work when Tiffany suddenly called. Panicking and all.

“I’m fi--”

“Open the door please.” Jessica called as well when Tiffany can’t even complete her sentence.

They heard a faint click and immediately barged in the comfort room.

“Hey.” Sunny approached the leaning girl in front of the toilet.

Tiffany was about to talk when she felt her stomach turn once again. She vomited.

Sunny turned her head to the immobile girl standing near Tiffany. “Bring us a towel and water Sica.” She ordered. She knew what this meant. She had seen the same thing with her older sister.

“Here.” Jessica handed her the towel. She’s still holding the glass of water.

“What happened to her?” she asked Sunny since Tiffany wasn’t able to talk. Thanks to the sudden vomiting.

Sunny inhaled deeply but did not answer. She rubbed Tiffany’s back and helped her up. “Wash your face, here’s the towel.”

She pushed Jessica out of the comfort room and gently closed the door.

“What’s happening?”

“I’m still not sure but I hope I’m wrong.” She sighed then shouted behind the close door. “We’ll be out in a bit Fany-ah! We prepared you breakfast!”

“Hmm” they heard a faint response.

“Where are we going?” Jessica asked when they reached the car.

“Pharmacy.”

Jessica nodded her head. Understanding what Sunny is trying to do.

After an hour, the duo finally arrived just in time Tiffany went out of her room.

“Have you eaten?” Sunny asked.

Tiffany only shook her head. “Not yet”

“Oh okay then, come on, I’ll prepare your food.”

Tiffany followed suit. She felt like clinging on her friends today, and since Jessica is the one near her, she wrapped her arms around the latter’s. “Why are you guys so caring today by the way?” she mumbled.

Her energy is drained.

“We’re always caring Tiff. You just failed to appreciate it.” Jessica grinned and earned a light slap on her arm.

“Here, eat this.”

Tiffany instantly covered her nose. “Eww Sunny-ah. What kind of food is that?!”

Sunny and Jessica exchanged a knowing look.

“That’s your favorite.”

“No.” Tiffany stubbornly crossed her arms. “Get that away from me. That doesn’t smell nice at all.”

“Oh-kay.” Sunny immediately do so.

“What do you want to eat then?”

Tiffany looked at the duo then tapped her chin while rubbing her tummy with her other arm. “I feel like eating pizza.”

“PIZZA?!” the duo exclaimed.

“It’s morning Tiff. That’s not good for you and your bab---”

“Babbling! You and your babbling stomach!.” Sunny cut Jessica’s words.

“Babbling stomach?” Jessica asked innocently.

Sunny glared at the latter and mentally punched her.

Jessica held the glare and after a minute formed an o-shape. “Y-yeah.” Jessica awkwardly smiled and apologized silently to the glaring small girl. “Babbling stomach that is.”

“But I want Pizza!...Wait, no…Ice cream?...and pizza…” she furrowed her brows, she as well doesn’t know what to eat.

Her tummy just wanted to eat those but she really can’t decide which one she wants the most.

“Make up your mind then.”

“Can’t you just buy those two for me?~~” she whined.

“Stop whining!” Jessica warned.

“Grumpy little…”

“I hear that.”

Tiffany only snickered.

“By the way Fany-ah.”

“Hmh?...Wait, I want to eat popcorn.”

The duo sighed.

“Your one heck of an eater.” Jessica mumbled.

“Yah! You can’t blame me Jessi, I literally threw all the foods I ate for a month.”

Jessica took the chance to insert the topic she and Sunny had been planning to open up. “Do you know why you vomited that much?”

“Hmmm” Tiffany furrowed her brows. “No.”

“Did you ate or drink something that might result to vomiting?”

She shook her head.

“Can you still remember that unforgettable night?”

“How can I not?!” Tiffany exclaimed. She will never forget that night. Though she’s moving on and is trying to do her usual routine like nothing happened, still, the trauma left her. “What’s with the sudden recall anyway? Now I don’t feel like eating.” She sulked.

Jessica nudged Sunny to talk.

“Err…remember our talk about the child thing?”

“yes?” Tiffany raised her brows.

“I think…” she inhaled. “I could be wrong you know.”

“What are you trying to tell me Sunny-ah?”

Sunny fidgeted. Though she heard Tiffany assured them that she will not hurt the baby, still she’s afraid that it might shock her. Tiffany’s dad was still unaware of the matter. And it’ll be a pressure for the girl to tell him. Not when he is finally recovering. He might grieve and blame his self for neglecting his only child.

“Err…I just want you to know that I could be wrong.”

“Okay Okay you’ve said it already. Can you just spill it out?!” She’s suddenly irritated. She’s not the kind of person who easily get pissed off since she’ll just laugh it off, but today is an exception. She doesn’t feel like understanding others.

Jessica flinched. She never heard Tiffany blew out like that, but told herself that it might just be another effect.

“I’ve seen my sister did the same thing as you did…Every morning.” Sunny inhaled. “We wanted to know why so we bought her to the doctor. He said that it’s not something to panic.”

Tiffany sighed in relief. “See? It’s not something to panic.”

“But!” she quickly added. “He advised us to do something if ever we happen to have someone on the same situation.”

“And that is?”

Sunny reached out for the plastic they bought when they we’re out and handed Tiffany a box.

Tiffany instantly widened. “Are you saying---”

“As what I’ve said I could be wrong.” Sunny cut her sentence. “There’s no harm in trying Fany-ah. I swear I saw the same thing with my sister. Let’s just hope that it’s not what we are thinking right now.”

Tiffany didn’t move. She clutched the box tighter. She knew she had convinced herself that she can do it if ever there really is a baby inside her. But she knows she can’t do it alone. Yes her friends are there, but they are working. What if her tummy will grow? How can she tell her father about it?

“Go on Tiff. If ever she’s really in you, I will give the honor to break my image as an ice cold princess and babysit.” Jessica tried to joke.

“We purposely bought three sets. In case you don’t trust a single result.” Sunny grinned.

Tiffany smiled and did not say another word as she made her way to the bathroom.

The duo is fidgeting right now. Tiffany had stayed inside the bathroom for god knows how long. They badly want to know the result. Positive or not, they don’t care. They deserve to know.

“What’s taking her long?”

“I don’t know. Let’s just wait.”

“But she’s been inside there almost half of the day.”

“She might be waiting for herself to pee or whatever.”

“Gosh!” Jessica slumped her body on the sofa. “This is worse than waiting for the baby to be delivered.”

“Half the worst Sica. I tell you. Been there.”

“You had a child once?!!” Jessica straightened up.

“Anio!” Sunny threw her friend a cushion. “I experienced waiting anxiously for my niece, okay? You really are weird.”

“Sorry. Formulate your sentence properly next time”

“I said it right! You just analyze it wrong!”

They know they are bickering with something not worthy at all. But they have to talk, or else they’ll die with anxiousness.

“Are you saying that my brain processed your words wrongly?!”

“Yes! And---FANY!” Sunny immediately stood up and ran towards Fany who is standing at the door frame. Emotionless.

Jessica followed suit.

“So?”

Tiffany inhaled and exhaled deeply.

“Positive.”

 

 

****

 

“Please talk guys, I don’t like the silence.” Tiffany started.

The three of them are lazing in the living room. All thinking about the things to do now that their assumption is right.

“should you tell your father about this?”

Tiffany sighed. “For the hundred time, No. You know him.”

“But you can’t hide it forever Fany-ah. You can’t hide the baby!” Sunny can no longer take it. They should at least inform Mr.Hwang. It’s his right to know.

“I’ll find another way!” she raised her voice as well.  “To see him blaming his self as an irresponsible father is the last thing I want to see.”

“What’s this so called way then?! Stay out of the country and pretend that you’re working?!” she sighed to calm herself down.  “You should tell him Fany-ah. Atleast someone will help you when we are not around. Anytime from now your tummy will grow, and you are to leave work.”

Tiffany bowed down her head. It hit her. Her friend is right, she can’t do it alone or so she think. But her mind is already set. She won’t be able to take it if she’ll lose the only family by blood she have.

“I-I’ll do work at home…Or s-start an online business..Atleast that way I don’t have to go to work.”

“And struggle alone? No way. What if you’ll get sick? Pregnant people usually get sick Fany-ah, who will take care of you? And don’t you say ‘Me! Who else!’ cause I’m not buying it.”

“I’m pretty sure you won’t leave me.”

“Sigh…We won’t Fany-ah. But you know we can’t be with you 24/7.”

“I don’t nee--”

“You need a hundred percent attention. And I suggest you to tell your father. Who else will be there for you aside from us? You don’t have a boyfriend or a husband to do so.”

Sunny’s last sentence bought them to silence once again. She hates to admit it but she hates what she is having right now. Not that she felt the same towards the baby. It’s the situation and the facts that is killing her; the fact that she has to hide this, the fact that she is a victim of an unforgivable crime yet she is the one suffering. That she has no one to hold on to if her friends are not around.

The only thing that she has right now is guts. She had seen a lot of single mothers but they were able to survive. And she’s going to hold on to that to be able to surpass this as well. That would be hard since she has always wished to do this with a partner. But she believes that she’s not some kind of a weakling who will go berserk if she’ll be left alone.

Truth to be told but this is not the kind of situation she has in mind when she was still young. She expected that when the time comes, she will walk down the aisle and smile widely to the person waiting for her in the altar. Give him that something she had kept safe for years. Have him around when she’s having her morning sickness. Who will stick unto her and do those crazy stuffs that she wanted, talk to her and to her tummy when they are lazing. Have him to go all excited on the day of delivery. Hear him say ‘I’m now a father’. But fate must really hate her; all of it has crashed because of one unforgettable night.

A night that will always haunt her. That one night that crashed the dream she had always wanted in a single glimpse.

Jessica’s sudden snapping of her fingers bought her to reality.

“I have an idea!”

“What is?” Sunny calmly asked.

Jessica smirked. She clasped her hands and supported her elbow on her knees. “I can’t assure you that this will work. But there’s no harm in trying, right?”

They nodded despite the confusion on what the latter is planning.

“You can have someone to pretend to be the father.”

Their eyes grew in instant. “WHAT?!”

“You heard me.” Jessica leaned on her seat once again. “That way, you can freely tell Uncle about the baby without telling him the truth behind it.”

“I’m sorry for saying this Sica-ah but, are you crazy?!” Sunny massaged her temples out of annoyance. “We can’t just ask someone to claim the baby as his! Who’s saint could possibly do so?!”

“Ohohoho. That you can Sunny-ah.” Jessica said confidently.

The duo raised their brows.

“Why say so?”

Jessica straightened and cleared . “Tiff, you said that someone was kind enough to help you when you were drunk right?”

“Errr…Yes?”

“That’s it.”

“Huh?”

“Explain properly Sica-ah.” Sunny reacted. “Our brain is fast enough to understand your slow one.”

“That doesn’t make sense but I’ll ignore the insult for now.” She glared at Sunny. “Anyway, as what this friend of ours said, she-a nobody earned a kind help from a somebody. And that somebody was Kim Hei Ryung who happened to like girls, rich I may add, and a responsible being.”

“OUCH!” she rubbed her head when Sunny hit her with a pillow. “Why so cruel?”

“Can you hear yourself?! She’s a girl Sica! A girl! G-I-R-L! GIRL! How can she be the father?!” she grimaced at the last word. “That’s just so wrong.”

“BABO!” This time, Jessica hit her. “We can always say that the baby is formed artificially. Or should we say that the cell is Hei Ryung’s and is injected to Tiffany!” she expressed her thoughts. “This is a modern world people! Technology connects our life! Heck even babies can form another baby!”

Sunny’s mouth formed an o-shape. She nodded her head in understanding. “And you think she’ll buy that reason?”

“She can be stubborn, harsh, cold and appears to be heartless but she is the opposite when you get to know her. I’m sure enough that she’ll gladly help.”

“And how can you be so sure? Why do you talk like you know her?”

Jessica only shrugged. “I just know.”

“What if Uncle will ask how they met?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “We can always tell him that they were in a relationship for years. Make up a story that is. And about the baby, well, remember that night when Tiffany was nowhere to be found? We can always say that at that time, they had decided to put the cell inside her artificially. I don’t know what method but…yeah…Let’s ask mr.Google about it. And that’s a month till now. Exact span for a baby to be formed.”

Sunny grinned and clapped her hands in amazement. “You really thought about this huh.”

Jessica cockily smirked. “Of course.” She looked at her silent friend. “So, what do you say Tiff?”

Tiffany sighed. “No.”

“But Tiff…”

“I don’t want to take advantage of the kindness she showed me a month ago guys. She did enough. My life was saved from a possibility of another dreadful experience. And to ask her to do this?” she shake her head. “That’ll be too much. This is not something that she can easily say yes. We’re not going to ask her to take good care of a drunk. We will be asking her to take good care of two lives guys. Two lives that she doesn’t even know. A responsibility that she doesn’t have to do. And she’s a public figure. She has reputation to keep clean in public. Should she accept this, how can she explain it to everyone?” she paused for air. “I got your point Jessi, but that’s just not right. Plus, I like guys for pete’s sake!”

“There’s no harm in trying Tiff.” Jessica did not want to lose this argument. She’s confident enough that her idea is the best so far. “Moreover, who says that you have to like girls to do this? This is just plain show Fany, for your father that is. You don’t have to go all sweet and caring like a true girlfriend to her. But you have to tell her that though. Tell her the truth, everything I may add, so she can understand you.”

Tiffany can only shake her head. She admits that her friend’s idea is tempting but she doesn’t know how to persuade the said girl. She paused to think.

“Should I follow your idea, are you going to help me explain to her?” she started.

“Nope.” Jessica immediately answered.

“This is your idea, you should at least help me.”

“you have to do it alone. To show that you sincerely need her help.”

“Hi girls!”

The loud happy greeting stopped their heating conversation.

Tiffany instantly stood up and wears her happiest smile as much as she can. “Hi dad!”

“Hi Uncle!” The duo greeted back.

“I bought food, come on.” He said then proceeded to the kitchen, smiling widely.

“yey!” the three literally ran to follow.

The three we’re beaming, thanks to the food displayed. They grew hungry because of the constant thinking they’ve been having.

Tiffany did not waited for her father to finish serving. She haven’t eaten since morning.

“Wait Miyoung-ah.” Mr. Hwang stopped her daughter who is eating hungrily. “You hate fish right? Why are you eating it?”

“hmh?” Tiffany’s mouth is too full to speak. She eyed the food she is eating, swallowed  and surprisingly grinned. “I’m hungry and they look so yummy.”

Mr.Hwang’s brow raised. To see his daughter eat the food that she hated in her entire life is a mind blowing revelation.

“Ah…Let’s eat!” Sunny interjected and nudged Jessica to start digging.

It’s a good thing that Mr.Hwang did not reacted and ate peacefully as well.

“I suppose you have a good news Dad. You look so happy.” She took another spoonful of rice.

He grinned. “That I am Miyoung-ah.” he placed his utensils down. “Guess who has a new project?”

The three looked at each other knowingly and together shouted. “You!”

“Exactly!” he sighed. “Never thought you could be that smart.” He reached out for a soup.

“That we are Uncle.”

“Wait…I thought you are to build a firm? Does that so-called project is the start?”

“No but yes.” He swallowed the food in his mouth before speaking. “No, this project does not relate to the planned firm, but yes this is the key to start it. I have to make a project first before getting a help from the said owner. The project is not that much of a hassle anyway. I just have to make a design for their new product and that’s it. It is something that I and your mom are used to, so I think I can finish it in no time.”

The mention of her mom made her smile. “I’m so proud of you Dad. And so is mom.”

“I know.” He grinned. “That I am to you as well. You grew up very pretty and very responsible like your mom.” A pause. He lovingly stared at his only daughter. “I had neglected you for years yet here you are. Looking all successful and professional.” He reached to hold her daughter’s hand and looked at the trio. “I’m so happy that you guys are not the same as those kinds of girls who got pregnant without a husband.”

Tiffany choked.

“Oh My God Tiff! Be careful.” Jessica immediately grabbed a glass of water and gave it to Tiffany.

“Cough…T-thanks Jessi” she drank it.

“There there, that’s what you get for eating fast.” He chuckled. “Anyway, since you girls are on the right age, I think I should really tell you this.”

The three stopped eating and looked at the now serious Mr.Hwang.

He leaned forward, eyed the three and whispered. “Don’t let your boyfriend blow it inside you if his not ready with the responsibility.”

“Wha---uncle!”

“Dad!”

“What? I’m stating facts here… Wait.” His eyes widen “Don’t tell me that you don’t have one? And that you never experienced it?”

The duo immediately shook their heads.

“Ahh.” He sighed in relief. “How about you Miyoung-ah?” He grinned.

“H-huh?”

“Are you seeing someone right now? Have you two gone beyond kissing?”

Tiffany’s throat dried up. She didn’t expect that topic and that question. She wants to yell ‘No I don’t have a freakin boyfriend and I already have a baby because of a ert !’. ert . Yes. They can’t possibly if they aren’t a ert and they are not a if they are not a ert. The logic somehow doesn’t make sense but it’s what she believes. She held that thought to herself. She can’t say it.

She felt a kick inside the table and that bought her back to reality.

“I…” she laughed awkwardly and placed a fish in her dad’s plate. “You’re talking nonsense dad. I don’t have a boyfriend.”

He exhaled in relief “I thought you have. You took too long to answer you know.” He grinned and muttered a thank you for the fish. He then pointed his fork to the three nervous girls.“Don’t you dare hide it if you are dating. I have to know. I need to test your boyfriend’s.” He chuckled and looked at Sunny and Jessica. “ I’m giving your respective father’s a favor here. I’m sure they won’t mind.”

“Ah.. We won’t Uncle.” Sunny tried her best to smile. Her eyes kept on glancing at Tiffany who as well is trying to beam her happiest smile.

This is the first time they had meal with Mr.Hwang after years of watching him suffer alone in his room. So, they don’t want to ruin the mood the man is having. Tiffany’s current situation didn’t give them much of a luck, so they have to be extra careful with their plans. Not when Mr.Hwang is finally out there, giving himself another chance to redeem his self as an entrepreneur and as a father.

“Leave the dishes behind. I’ll wash it.” He said when the girls had started cleaning up their respective dishes. “You girls should go and hangout.” He shooed them away, stood up and placed his dirty dishes in the sink before going to his room to change into a more comfortable wear.

The three of them watched the man entered his room and then sighed in relief.

“That was one hell of an awkward and deadly conversation.” Sunny whispered and slouched.

“Precisely! I almost ran.” Jessica shivered. “Anyway, where should we go now? I don’t want to go back to office. It’s too plain and boring.”

Sunny perked her lips. “How about noraebang?”

“I don’t feel like singing or dancing in that matter.” She pouted.

“So what do you suggest to do?”

Jessica shrugged. “I asked you first didn’t I?” she then looked at Tiffany. She’s always hyper with this kind of talks. “Any idea party girl?”

“…”

“Tiff?”

“…”

Jessica nudged Sunny and gestured to the quite girl. She raised her brows and earned a shrug.

Tiffany slouched. “Jessi.”

“Hmh?”

She sighed. She hates what she is thinking right now but she has no choice. “About your idea…”

“which one?”

Sunny scoffed. “As if you have lots of it.” She mumbled but loud enough for the other girl to hear.

“We’re not talking to you Soonkyu, don’t you dare barge in the conversation.” she accusingly pointed her fingers to the grinning girl then tapped Tiffany who is staring nowhere. “So, how about it?”

“Can you…err…” she hesitated.

“go on. We’re listening.”

“Can you teach me how to persuade Kim Hei Ryung?”

Sunny’s jaw dropped for a second. “don’t tell me you’re going--” Her sentence we’re cut short when Jessica shoved her aside.

Jessica smirked.

 

 

 

“I would love to, Tiffany Hwang Miyoung”