011

Fate Often Mistook

Here came the day where they would attend their first day in exam. The first subject to be tested would be mathematics, one of several killer subjects. Once you came to the class at the morning, all students were busy sitting with their books, reading and learning problems, sometimes they would learn in a group.

Hoseok himself was sitting alone at his chair; his table was full of math notes and books. He kept on writing and writing, reminding himself about what Taehyung told him and reading until he didn’t realize the presence of Jimin.

“You changed,” Jimin said, suddenly appeared behind Hoseok.

Hoseok only took a glance at Jimin, but then he continued working again. “I changed?” he muttered without even thinking.

“You turned into a diligent dude,” Jimin replied, he sat on a table behind Hoseok’s chair. Hoseok just mumbled halfheartedly and he flipped several pages on his book before began writing again.

“Really?” Hoseok answered halfheartedly again, he kept on writing.

“Does falling in love change someone like this?” Jimin asked again, and then he laughed. Hoseok who was finally could rid himself off the math book turned around and stared at Jimin in confusion.

Because Jimin didn’t respond for a moment, Hoseok spoke, “Oh, my Jihye? Yes, she motivates me the most,” with a wide grin on his face.

Jimin gapped his mouth for a while before finally sighing and shaking his head. He muttered lowly, “You don’t even know your feelings, how could you understand someone else’s…”

“Huh?” Hoseok instantly stood up with a wide smile on his face. “So Jihye likes me? Jihye likes me back?!” he immediately held Jimin’s hand and shook it.

“I didn’t say that!” Jimin yelled. “It’s not her!”

Hoseok widened his eyes in pity and asked, “Then who?” he went back to his chair to sit and he tried to guess what Jimin meant when suddenly he remember a confession.

A confession did by his best friend when he was drunk saying that the friend liked him. A confession that friend told him to hate his loved one.

 

I hope you hate Jihye!

Because I like you, foolish!

 

Was that… for real?

“Ah, you ,” Jimin muttered and smacked Hoseok’s head.

Hoseok was about to smack Jimin back when suddenly an idea came up. He turned around to face Jimin and he said, “Hey, Jimin-ah.”

“Hm?” Jimin muttered in confuse.

“Mind to tell me the signs if someone is falling in love with you?” he asked, hoping that Jimin would answer him. Jimin raised his eyebrows, chuckled and shook his head.

“That person doesn’t show that he cares about you, but you know he does,” Jimin said, giving a strong hint by using a ‘he’ that referred to Taehyung. “That person often curses you with bad words, but he doesn’t mind showing tears to you.”

Hoseok’s eyes immediately went blank and he replayed some moments at the past. Jimin glanced at him with a smirk, and then he continued.

“Blushes… yes, blushes. That person might show some shy acts and reddened cheeks when he is with you; it means that he might act different towards you. When you are talking about another person, make sure that he looks jealous or angry.”

Hoseok nodded several times once Jimin finished speaking. When he was about to ask anything else, suddenly the class’ door opened from outside and Taehyung entered the class.

“Oh, Taehyung!” Hoseok immediately yelled and waved at Taehyung with a grin.

Taehyung smiled from ear to ear and waved back at Hoseok, and then he immediately ran to approach Hoseok. “Are you learning?”

Hoseok nodded with a smile. “Your explanations yesterday really work!”

Taehyung nodded still with his eyes locked on Hoseok’s handwriting on the book. He soon closed Hoseok’s book and said, “You really do it well!”

“Really?” Hoseok stared at him with widened happy eyes, and Taehyung nodded with his thumb raised. “Good job!”

Jimin who was still sitting behind them stared at them just like he’s being a nuisance and abandoned. He faked a cough, and those two boys immediately glanced at him and seemed to be a little bit surprised.

“What’s the matter?” Jimin mumbled between his chuckles once he saw those two stared at him. Hoseok just laughed, but Taehyung seemed to be a little shy.

Suddenly the bell rang, which signed that the exam period had begun. All the students immediately closed their books and prepared the exam tools for the first exam, math.

Jimin jumped down from the table to go back to his place. Unfortunately, Taehyung’s seat was quite far away from Hoseok’s. He patted Hoseok’s back and said, “Fighting, hm?”

Hoseok was about to normally say yes and sit down, but please blame his mischievous ideas. “I don’t think I will do well,” he sat down and whined, tried to look a little depressed.

Taehyung laughed. “Of course you will.”

“I don’t think I will do well unless you do me a favor,” Hoseok looked up at Taehyung in pleading pathetic eyes which was actually wanted to laugh and smile. Taehyung raised his eyebrows and said, “Well, what do you want me to do?”

In an instant Hoseok pointed at his cheek. “Kiss.”

Taehyung’s face immediately turned red and he widened his eyes. “W-what the heck, Jung Hoseok!”

“Kiss me so that I can do well,” Hoseok said and widened his smile, still pointing at his cheek. “You know, mental preparations are very important. It’s not like it’s our first time to ki-“

“You’re insane!” Taehyung yelled with his face all red. He immediately turned around and walked towards his table without even looking back.

Hoseok laughed and folded his arms with his eyes looking at Taehyung. He was about to yell and made fun at Taehyung again but then he suddenly remembered Jimin’s words.

 

“Blushes… yes, blushes. That person might show some shy acts and reddened cheeks when he is with you; it means that he might act different towards you. When you are talking about another person, make sure that he looks jealous or angry.”

 

Shy acts? What did shy acts mean?

He turned around to face the front and supported his face with his palm, his gaze wondered blankly. Was what Taehyung did a shy act? Well, it seemed to be a little shy in Hoseok’s eyes, but did it really mean the person liked you?

 

“That person doesn’t show that he cares about you, but you know he does.”

 

Hoseok frowned and bit his lip. If Taehyung cared, he would have done what Hoseok asked such as kissing him on the cheek and stuffs, although it all were just jokes. But he pretended not to care, and although he acted so, Hoseok knew he cared a lot.

 

 “That person often curses you with bad words, but he doesn’t mind showing tears to you.”

 

Hey, Taehyung just called him an insane!

Hoseok started to bite his nail. Taehyung often called him insane, foolish, and et cetera, but once in a lifetime Taehyung dared to show his tears in front of Hoseok.

 Ah, this is so complicated! Hoseok messed his hair and sighed. It’s not that he was afraid that he might turn into a… gay. It’s because he’s afraid that he won’t reply Taehyung’s feelings, he’s simply afraid that he might break Taehyung’s heart.

Or had he broken Taehyung’s heart too often that he didn’t even realize it?

Hoseok stole a glance at Taehyung. Taehyung was turning around to talk with Jungkook who sat behind him, and both of them laughed. When Taehyung was about to turn around again, accidentally his eyes met with Hoseok’s. Taehyung smiled and waved at the latter boy.

Hoseok chuckled; he replied Taehyung’s smile and wave in an instant. Taehyung mouthed a ‘fighting!’ and he balled his fist. Hoseok chuckled; he showed his thumb with a grin.

Although he seemed to be happy and cheerful towards Taehyung, inside he was still thinking hard. What if every time he acted romantic towards Jihye Taehyung’s heart got broke?

You are indeed a foolish, Jung Hoseok, he thought. Taehyung had given him almost everything, and he still felt unsure in returning the other boy’s feelings. But his crush was Jihye, and it would always be her!

This was the moment when you confused yourself. Hoseok chewed his lip in nervous, and suddenly the door got opened from outside, revealing their teacher. And soon enough, the exam had started.

It wasn’t an easy exam (well, math had never been easy), but almost all of what Taehyung taught him were written on the exam paper. He started reading the problems just like what the others did, and he began to answer.

Here began a moment where you could only sit down and think about the exam, not about another thing and you didn’t even say a word, a moment where you’re totally immersed into the exam and you kept on writing things on the paper.

All the students didn’t even realize that two hours had gone, and it was the time for them to collect the papers. Hoseok reread his answers once again, and the class president yelled his name from the front of the class. “Hoseok, collect it!”

“A second, please!” he yelled back and revised an answer he had written. On the other side of the class Taehyung was staring at him nervously, thinking whether the boy could answer all of the problems or not.

After a moment correcting his exam, Hoseok ran towards the front of the class and handed the class president the paper. He slowly walked back to his seat, silently he felt super happy because he could answer most of them.

“How was it?” suddenly Taehyung appeared beside him. Hoseok looked at him with a wide grin, he was about to say that all he learned really worked on the test but his naughty side acted faster. “I can’t…” he muttered and sighed, only to tease Taehyung.

“What?” Taehyung looked at him in disbelief. “I believe that all I taught you were on the exam!”

Hoseok mentally laughed. He sat down the chair, bended his back down to bury his face in his arms, and then he shook his head. He tried to sound pathetic, “Remember when I told you about mental preparation? I guess I hadn’t ready yet.”

Taehyung suddenly felt anxious and scared that Hoseok’s failure was caused by him. He nervously patted Hoseok’s head, and Hoseok pretended to whine loudly.

At the behind of the class, Jimin folded his arms and stared at those two boys. He shook his head, chuckled a little and muttered, “When will you guys be honest to each other?”

The second day had come. All students were studying again as well, maybe a little harder since today physics was the one that would be tested. They were reading notes and repeating things inside their mind, maybe it had driven them mad.

Just like yesterday, Hoseok sat down alone with his notes in front of him. Taehyung had taught him all of these, but he was still unsure that he would pass it.

“Just be calm,” Taehyung who stood behind him spoke, cracked the silence atmosphere around Hoseok. Hoseok looked around and said, “Can’t! All the kids are studying crazily, and I don’t want to be the only one who only gets six at the exam!”

Taehyung nodded, he didn’t know what to answer. He just kept on staring at Hoseok’s book, but then he pointed at one thing. “Yah, this is wrong.”

“Where?” Hoseok immediately widened his eyes and looked at the problem Taehyung pointed at, but then he mumbled an ‘oh’ and fixed it.

He continued studying like that until suddenly the physics teacher passed their class. All of them immediately ran out of the class to ask her about hard problems, but Hoseok just sat down at the class until it was only him and Taehyung left there. Taehyung was actually quite confused because Hoseok was learning his off minutes ago, but when the teacher went by he didn’t want to ask her.

Hoseok just sighed and closed his book. “Ah, I’m so tired of it.”

Taehyung chuckled and patted Hoseok’s head. “Well, let’s just hope that you will do well in the exam.”

Hoseok turned around and stared at Taehyung. It was a very long stare that Taehyung felt nervous, he moved backwards a little and he asked, “What?”

“Do you want me to do well in this exam?” Hoseok asked with his eyebrows raised and lips smiled. Taehyung confusedly nodded and answered, “Of course.”

Hoseok didn’t say anything else, he just pointed at his cheek. Taehyung immediately felt blood rushed inside his cheeks when Hoseok so, he just shook his head briefly.

“Come on! It’s only us two in the class, people won’t see!” Hoseok whined still with his finger beside his cheek. Taehyung just looked down with super reddened cheeks, and then he shook his head again.

“What if I fail it like yesterday?” Hoseok began to pout and showed his puppy eyes. “Mental preparation is important!” he juxtaposed his cheek to Taehyung’s face.

“O-only once?” Taehyung began to stutter, he played with his own fingers. Hoseok nodded with happy face and he tapped his finger on his cheek. “Come on.”

Taehyung’s face was all red until his ears were also red. Slowly he approached Hoseok’s cheek and placed a fast, light peck. He immediately pulled himself away and ran towards his seat, still with his palms covering his face.

 

And Hoseok felt the flutter.

 

 

...

a/n: HAAAI o/ i just realized that vhope is this cute ugh.

thank you for those who had read, subscribed, commented and upvoted this story! you guys are really the best!