Chapter 4: There's A Way?

Secret (Discontinued)

Taeyeon was laying on her bed looking around her room. It was getting late but she kept thinking about what was going to happen tomorrow at school. It was Thursday tomorrow. She was thinking she could fake being sick and not have to go to school but her mom would probably make her. Taeyeon kept looking at the clock and watched every hour pass by. She wanted to go for a walk so she got up and without taking a cote she was ready to jump out of her window.

“When you jump it wont hurt.” The other part of her said.

“How do I know your telling the truth…..what if I jump and break a leg. I cant trust you. Not after everything you’ve done to make everyone hate me.” Taeyeon said thinking more clearly of what she was about to do. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea.

“Like I’ve said before, I want to help you.” Taeyeon thought about it and she decided to jump out of her window. She needed to be somewhere else but home. When she jumped she landed on her feet and she didn’t feel any pain. She didn’t feel anything. It didn’t even feel like she jumped out of a two story building. “See? It didn’t hurt.”

Taeyeon began to walk in whatever direction. She didn’t even care where she walked. It began to rain, but she didn’t care. Because of the stunt the other part of her pulled she had lost the only person she really cared about….Tiffany. Now Tiffany probably hated her too. Taeyeon hated herself. When she stopped she was at the playground again.

“Why can’t they take this stupid playground down. It just keeps reminding me of what happened.”

“Why is it so hard for you to admit that this is the real you? I’m the real you. I’m what you’ve had buried deep inside you, and that day you let me out.”

“Because I’m afraid.” Taeyeon said. She was soaked. It was freezing outside but she had bigger problems to think about. She didn’t care if she got sick or died right there and then. To her she had lost everything,

“Let go and you won’t feel any of that. I can make your life better.”

“If you’re here to make my life better then why are you doing all these things. Because of you no one recognizes me anymore. I‘m a completely different person.”

“I’ve done all these thing because you’ve been fighting me. All your doing is fighting yourself. I’ve tried to let you do things the easy way, but you always choose the hard way.”

“That’s because you make me do things I don’t want to do.”

“I want to make you realize that you don’t need anyone but yourself. They might call themselves your friends, but are they here? No. Did they stick by your side?”

“…….No.” Taeyeon said letting tears fall out.

“But I’m still here. I will always be by your side. Having people just keeps you from doing things you want. How many times did you have to do what Tiffany wanted? Huh? You never had a say in things, and now you don’t have to worry about her anymore.” It told Taeyeon. Taeyeon hadn’t been eating much and she had no energy, not even to cry. Her tears just fell by themselves and she didn’t have enough strength to cry. She’s done enough crying. Her vision began to get blurry and then suddenly everything went black. She had fainted because her body couldn’t take all that fatigue.

(At the hospital)

Someone had found Taeyeon the next morning while they were taking their morning run and that person called 911. When she was brought to the hospital they called her parents. They asked them if they knew how their daughter had gotten there, but Taeyeon’s parents had no explanation. They didn’t even hear the door open and if she would have jumped out of the window she would have been seriously injured. They had no idea how she had gotten out of the house.

“Doctor why isn’t she waking up?” Mrs. Kim asked worried.

“She is very fatigued and she needs to rest.”

“Is that why she fainted?” “Mr. Kim asked.

“ Yes, that could be a reason. Can I ask you two some questions?” The doctor asked.

“Sure, anything.” Mr. Kim said.

“Has your daughter ever showed any signs of depression? Or has she been stressed out?”

“Not that we’ve seen. But she has become a little aggressive sometimes, and she’s been behaving differently.” Mrs. Kim said

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t know what happened but when she was little she was a sweet little girl and then out of nowhere she began to do things she wouldn’t normally do and she was mad all the time.” Mrs. Kim told the doctor.

“I see. If you’d like we can keep her here for a little while and observe her behavior. One more question. Does it ever seem like she has a split personality? Like she’s two different people?”

“Yes, it happens all the time. She can be mad at us for every little reason and then it’s like she never did it. She’s mean and then sweet.” Mr. Kim said.

“Okay we will keep her here and when she wakes up we’ll inform you so you can tell her the news that she will be kept here for a while.” The doctor said.

“Doctor I don’t think we’ll be able to tell our daughter that. We can’t bear to see the look on her face when we tell her. I think it would be better for all of us if you were the one to give her the news. We just cant.” Mr. Kim said and Mrs. Kim began to cry. They went into the room where Taeyeon was to take a glimpse of her before they left because who knows how long it would be before they came back to see her. They didn’t want to leave her there and they were afraid that if they came to visit her soon they would take her out of that hospital the chance they had. But they thought if she stayed there she would get some help and they might get their daughter back. They left crying.

Taeyeon was having a dream. She was with Tiffany and they were in the playground chasing each other. They were both smiling like old times. Taeyeon actually felt happy. Tiffany was by her side and she had no worries. They were playing with the ball and then Taeyeon realized she was dreaming what had happened that day she got the mark. It was like she was watching a movie. She was looking at herself play with Tiffany. That’s when the ball went into the street.

“N-no Taeyeon. Don’t leave Tiffany.” She tried yelling at the little Taeyeon. She saw how Tiffany laughed at the boy who fell off the swing and then all his friends started walking her way. “ Taeyeon go back!” But it was no use. She knew what was going to happen. When little Taeyeon came back she just stood there in shock. She looked scared. “Do something. Go ask for help.” Taeyeon knew she couldn’t do anything to stop what had already happened long ago but she still tried. Then little Taeyeon became a different person. She was able to take those kids off and she could see the rage in her eyes. All that anger. Then that feeling of killing came back. She hadn’t felt that way since that day. The feeling of killing someone made her want to do it. It was like she could kill someone right now and she wouldn’t have any remorse. “No Taeyeon your not like that. You would never kill anyone….WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!!” Taeyeon slowly tried opening her eyes and the first thing she saw was a white sealing. She wasn’t sure where she was. Her head hurt a lot and every time she moved her head it would feel like someone was punching her brain. She was still tired and wanted to go to sleep but someone came into the room.

“Oh your awake Miss. Kim.” The nurse said. She was very polite.

“Wh-where am I-I.” Taeyeon said grabbing her head.

“Your in a hospital. Do you have a head ache?”

“How long h-have I b-been here?” Taeyeon said feeling weak.

“Let me see.” The nurse was looking at her medical papers. “You’ve been here for five days. I should say you’ve been asleep for five days. The good thing is that your awake now.”

“Wh-what?! I’ve been here for that long. Why?” Taeyeon said once again grabbing her aching head.

“Someone found you passed out next to a playground and the ambulance brought you here. Here is something to relieve the pain.”

“Passed out next to a playground?” Taeyeon began to remember what had happened. She drank the pills she was given to relieve the pain. She looked around the room to let everything sink in and realized there were flowers.

“There pretty aren’t they?”

“Are those for me?”

“Yes they are.”

“Who are they from?”

“This girl has been bringing them everyday since you’ve been here. She seems really sweet. I didn’t ask for her name though.”

“So you don’t know who it is?”

“Unfortunately no, but she might come today? Sometimes while you were asleep she would sit by you and talk to you like if you were listening to her. She will be very happy to see you awake.”

“Could it be Tiffany?” Taeyeon said in a low voice.

“If you don’t mind me asking, is she your girlfriend?”

“Huh? Ummm no I don’t have a girlfriend.……I don’t even have friends anymore.” Taeyeon said looking down.

“Well the person that came to see you sure looked like your friend. Or why would she come and visit right?”

“I guess. When can I leave? Where are my parents?”

“Oh look at the time, I have to go. I’ll come and check on you later. It was nice to meet you Miss. Kim.” And the nurse left in a hurry. Taeyeon wasn’t sure why the nurse had left in such a hurry. After a few minutes the doctor came into the room.

“It’s nice to see you awake. How do you feel Taeyeon?”

“I’m not really sure how I feel…..I guess I feel confused, tired, sad?…”

“I see.”

“Where are my parents? Are they here?”

“Taeyeon I need to tell you something your not going to like.”

“Okay, what is it?”

“First of all your parents aren’t here, and second you will be staying here for a while.”

“What? Why do I have to stay here? I feel fine now. I need to call my parents to tell them where I am.” Taeyeon said trying to get up, but her body was too weak and she almost fell to the floor but the doctor helped her get back in the hospital bed.

“You shouldn’t get up too fast. Your body hasn’t fully recovered yet. You need to rest.”

“Is that why I need to stay for a few more days?” Taeyeon thought that was the reason she was going to have to stay because she needed to recover but that wasn’t the case.

“Sure, that’s why.” The doctor had to lie to her because he knew she would get upset and it could be bad for her health.

“But I still don’t understand why my parents aren’t here to see me. I really want to see them.”

“The first chance I get I will call them, okay? Now go back to sleep and rest up.”

“But I’m not sleepy anymore.” Taeyeon said. The doctor injected something into her iv to make her sleep.

“This will help you sleep.” The doctor told Taeyeon and she fell asleep again. Then the nurse came in. “Can you call her parents to inform them she’s awake? If the patient asks you when she will be leaving, you know what to tell her. Also don’t let her suspect the real reason of why we’re keeping her here. Understood?”

“Yes doctor I understand.”

“Good, now let her sleep and check on her every once in a while.” The doctor said. Then they both left. When Taeyeon fell asleep she appeared in a dark room with one single light bulb and there was a girl sitting in a seat in front of her. She had her back to Taeyeon. She wasn’t sure if it was the center of the room since she couldn’t see anything else but that spot where the light was shinning.

“H-hello? Wh-who are y-you?”

“……..” There was no answer from the girl. Taeyeon decided to walk up to her to see her face. When Taeyeon was able to see the girl’s face she couldn’t believe her eyes. The person sitting there in the seat was her. She was basically looking at herself. Except her eyes were cold, she looked dead. She had no emotion.

“It’s me?” Taeyeon said in disbelief. “I must be dreaming.”

“You’re asleep, but I’m as real as can be.”

“Why am I here?”

“Like I said before, I’m what you’ve had trapped deep inside you. In the dark. I’ll be here until you stop fighting yourself and become who you really are.”

“I’m going crazy. You can’t be real. This is just a bad dream in need to wake up from.”

“Come on Taeyeon, how long do you think you’ll be able to keep fighting me? Look what happened to you, and now your in a hospital. Just stop and let go of who you think you are and become what you really are. All your worries and troubles will go away.”

“But if I change people will start to notice something’s wrong.” Taeyeon said. She was slowly starting to become convinced. Taeyeon thought that maybe if she did what it asked her to do then things wouldn’t be so hard to deal with.

“Let them think what they want. You just have to remember you cant tell anyone about me because-”

“It’s our secret.” Taeyeon said finishing the sentence.

“That’s right, it’s our little secret.”

“I need to wake up. I don’t want to be here anymore.”

“Well when you finally decide to stop fighting me, all you have to do is fall asleep and I’ll bring you back here. Don’t make me wait too long. Sooner or later you’ll see you need me.” Every word she said convinced her even more that she was right. Did she need her? It was even more believable because she was basically saying it to herself except it was the darker side. Was she really like that? Taeyeon didn’t want to keep thinking about all this and tried waking up. Everything turned completely dark, but she could hear someone talking to her.

“You’ve been asleep for a few days. They told me you woke up, but I wasn’t here in time to see you open those pretty eyes of yours……I brought you more flowers. I hope you like them.” Taeyeon couldn’t really tell who the person talking was. “I don’t know if you can hear me but I’m-” She was cut off by the nurse who came in.

“Excuse me miss, but visiting hours are over. I’m going to have to ask you to leave. I’m sorry.”

“It’s time already? *Sigh* Bye Taeyeon, I really hope to see you awake.” And she left. Taeyeon was so close to hearing her name. Why did the nurse have to come in right when she was going to say her name. Taeyeon was finally able to open her eyes slowly but surely. When she opened her eyes the white light hurt her eyes. And she had the head ache again.

“Your awake. You sure sleep a lot.”

“Who…..was the….person that was….here.” Taeyeon said hardly being able to speak.

“Sorry I didn’t ask for her name. Here you go.” And the nurse gave her something to drink and to take the pain away.

“Where are…..my parents.”

“They came to see you while you were sleeping.” The nurse lied.

“How long have a been out.”

“For two more days miss.”

“Are you kidding me? What did that doctor give me?”

“He gave you something to help you sleep. It seems your sleep deprived because that just helps you sleep for a few hours and you slept for two days. Good thing your getting some rest.” The nurse said closing the curtains because it was dark outside.

“When the person who comes to see me comes back and I’m asleep, can you please ask for her name?”

“Sure thing.”

“Thank you. Where’s my phone?”

“We’ve taken you personal belongings and put them in a safe place. You’ll get them when you leave. I’ll be back to check on you later.”

“Wait.” But she had left. “Seriously I can’t even have my phone? What is this?” Taeyeon said annoyed. She decided to get up and try to walk around since she had nothing else to do. She had some trouble getting to where she wanted but she was able to make it to the window without falling. She looked at the few people walking outside at night and wanted to be them. She hated the hospital smell. She then remembered what happened when she was asleep.

“Secret? I’ve had to keep more than one secret. I’ve been lying to everyone for so long. If I give in all my troubles and worries will go away. Should I just stop fighting it? It seems so much easier to just give up and let her, me, it, whatever I should call her have her way.” Taeyeon was really bored and began to grow inpatient because she was tired of staying in that room. It felt like she needed to do something but didn’t know what. While she was looking around the room she noticed there was a camera observing her. ‘Should that be there?’ she thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(At Yuri’s house)

“How has the tutoring been going?” Yuri’s father asked.

“I’ve only tutored that person once.”

“Really? How come?”

“They haven’t been coming to school.” It was rare for Yuri to have a conversation with her father. They never got along. Her mother passed away when she was little and only has her father now. Her dad was very strict sometimes. Yuri had to be the perfect daughter and live up to his expectations.

“Well you shouldn’t worry about one person. Just worry about yourself and your studies. You can’t let someone bring you down for their mistakes. If people need to be tutored then why should they come go to school in the first place.”

“How can you say that? You have no idea what that person is going through and why they’re falling behind in their studies.”

“It’s true. What’s this person’s name anyways?”

“I’ve lost my appetite, I’m going to my room.” Yuri said getting up. She was tired of listening to her father.

“Yuri! Sit down. I am not finished talking to you.”

“I am, I have to study, good night.” And Yuri left to her room. Yuri needed to talk to someone. “Hello? Jess?”

“Hey Yuri, what’s up. Is it your dad again?”

“Yup, like always. I just can’t see how he can say such things.”

“What did he say this time?”

“He asked me about he person I’m tutoring or was.”

“Who?”

“Do you even listen to what I tell you?” Yuri said annoyed.

“Yes, but if you told me in the morning you know I’ll forget it. I’m not a morning person.”

“Right. Taeyeon, the person I was tutoring is Taeyeon.”

“Oh yeah I remember now. Why aren’t you tutoring her anymore?”

“She hasn’t been coming to school for a few days.”

“I’ve noticed you’ve become very interested in her. Why?”

“Believe me I’ve asked myself that question since I met her.”

“Well you better be careful.”

“Why?”

“If your dad finds out your into a girl, he’s going to freak. You know he wont approve. Did you tell him who you were tutoring?”

“Your saying it like we’re in a relationship. I barely even get a chance to talk to her, and no I didn’t tell him who the person was.”

“But that doesn’t mean your not interested, am I right?”

“Yes, I am very interested in her, but the problem is I don’t know why.”

“Well there must be a really good reason because I’ve never seen you so interested in someone before. Especially in someone you just met or in a girl for that matter.” Jessica said. Then Yuri heard footsteps coming her way.

“Hey Jess I gotta go. See you later. Bye.” And she hung up in a hurry before she heard a response from Jessica. Yuri put a book in front of her a acted like she had been studying the whole time. Her dad opened the door without knocking. “I’ve told you a hundred times to knock before you come in.”

“Why should I knock if you have nothing to hide.”

“I would still like to have some privacy.”

“You still haven’t told me the person’s name you are tutoring.” Her dad said ignoring what she had said.

“It’s not important. Now can you please leave and make sure you close the door when you leave.”

“Why are you always talking back to me. I am your father and you need to respect me. I try to have a conversation with you and it ends up in a argument. Do you hate me that much?” He almost sounded hurt, which never happened.

“I don’t hate you. It’s just that the things you say are cruel sometimes, and I don’t like it. You talk about people like if you were better than them. You‘re just like everyone else.” Yuri was surprised because that was the longest conversation or more like an argument they’ve had.

“I am better than them. How dare you compare me with those people?”

“See this is what I mean. You show people a completely different side, and you have the decency to say your better than them. I don’t want to be rude but I want to be alone, please dad, can you please leave?” And Yuri took her attention away from her dad and back to the book. He was angry as well and didn’t want to have this conversation anymore so he left to his room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(In the hospital)

Taeyeon was still sitting on a chair by the window staring at the camera that was on the other side of the room. Was she under surveillance? If she was, why? She didn’t like to be watched. She thought of how she has been there and began to feel a little scared. She wanted to go home. There was a little window in the door and she was able to see people walk by. She wanted to ask someone if they knew when she was leaving. She got up but her legs gave up and she fell to the floor. She tried to stand up but had no success. Thankfully someone came in and saw her on the floor.

“Here let me help you.” A boy said rushing over to her side. He lifted her up like she was a doll and put her in the bed. He went to get a wheel chair that was in the closet. “You can sit here.” He said helping her into the wheel chair.

“Thank you.”

“What were you doing on the floor Miss…..” He didn’t know her name.

“It’s Taeyeon. I was getting up and my legs gave out.”

“I can see why.” He said looking at the untouched food. “Why haven’t you eaten?”

“Because hospital food is disgusting and you never know what they can put in it.”

“Don’t you think your just a little paranoid?” He said laughing a little.

“No I don’t think I’m being paranoid, I’m being cautious…..You look a little young to be working here.”

“Well thank you. I’m a nurse. I wont tell you how old I am but I will tell you that I graduated already.”

“From high school or college?”

“From high school and I’m in college, I’m not that old. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing here?”

“I’ve asked myself that same question for the past few days. I want to leave.”

“How about I find out why you’re here when I have the chance and I’ll tell you, how does that sound?”

“That would be great. Thank you.” Taeyeon thought he was really sweet. She actually enjoyed his company.

“Since you aren’t eating this food, I’ll go ask if I can take you outside and get something else to eat. And it would be nice for you to get some fresh air.”

“Do you think they’ll say yes?”

“Of course. I always have a good excuse….I’ll be right back. I hope I don’t find you on the floor again.” He said laughing a little.

“Haha so funny.” Taeyeon said sarcastically. She was excited she was actually going to be able to go outside, but tried no to get her hopes up because there might be a possibility they might say no. While she was waiting she tried moving her legs but they barely had any strength at all. Then the boy came in.

“It’s your lucky day, let’s go get some fresh air shall we?” He said. Taeyeon didn’t understand why he was so happy. He always had a smile on his face. They were outside and she loved the smell of fresh air. “Why do you keep looking at me? Are you checking me out?” He said jokingly.

“What? No…..I just don’t get it.”

“Get what?”

“Why are you so happy?”

“Why not? Everyone deserves to be happy.”

“Not everyone……I don’t remember the last time I was happy.” Taeyeon said remembering all the miserable times she went through.

“How come? You seem like a nice person.”

“Something’s wrong with me. I hurt the people close to me, and all I do is lie to everyone.”

“Wow that …..what secret are you keeping that makes you so sad?” He said stopping by a river near by.

“It’s called a secret for a reason. I can’t tell.” There was some wind which caused Taeyeon’s hair to go to the right side exposing her mark.

“Wow, what’s that?”

“N-nothing, you weren’t supposed to see that.” She said trying to cover it up as fast as she could but it was too late.

“It looks like a butterfly……did you get a tattoo?”

“Uhhh…..yeah I did.” Taeyeon said awkwardly.

“Are you sure? You seem too young to get a tattoo……I have one too, see.” He showed Taeyeon the left side of his neck. It looked like wings.

“Yours is a tattoo?”

“Well not exactly….if I tell you my secret, will you tell me yours? It would just be between us.”

“I don’t know…..” Taeyeon said thinking about it. Should she trust him?

“It’s up too you.”

“….Fine.”

“It’s not a tattoo, it’s more like a mark. I wasn’t born with it either. Something happened and all I did was get angry and a voice started to talk to me.”

“Why did you get angry.”
“My parents were abusive and they would always hit me. Sometimes they hit me just for the fun of it. I can’t remember how many times I went to the hospital. I was tired of it and I felt enraged……the voice asked me if I needed help and I was young so when I thought it could help me I didn’t even think twice and said yes. Suddenly this mark appeared on my neck and it told me I’d have this as a symbol of our bond. As I got older it began to cause problems for me and I couldn’t live with it anymore, I was scared to even go outside or speak to anyone. Soon I realized the voice was my voice….except it was the worst part of me. It kept telling me that was me, but I didn’t want to believe it……thankfully I found I way to get rid of it, but I was left with this mark.”
When he said the last part he seemed happy that he had gotten rid of it but at the same time he looked regretful about something.

“What happened to your parents?”

“I told you mine and now it’s your turn.” Taeyeon told him how everything started and what has been happening to her.

“How did you get rid of it? There’s a way?” Taeyeon asked. He looked at his watch and realized they had been outside for a while now and Taeyeon hadn’t eaten yet.

“I lost track of time and you still haven’t eaten, I’ll go get you something really quick. Don’t move I’ll be right back.”

“Wait you still-……great. I need to know how he got rid of it, I need to.” Taeyeon couldn’t believe there was actually I way to become herself again. She might still have the mark, but she didn’t care as long as everything went back to normal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author’s Note:

Hello there everyone. Hey guess what……it’s my birthday today and I graduate tomorrow. Anyways, I feel like the story is dragging for some reason…..is it? Who do you think the guy is? Can she trust him? I might change the title from Secret to The Other Part of me……should I? Or do you guys like the title as it is, please comment. How is the story so far, good, bad, , I really love the comments people have posted, it gives me even more inspiration to keep writing. I know I talk/type and ask to much questions, right? Peace Out and keep supporting my fanfics. Thanks you a guys a lot. Kaepsong!!!