Work

Loving the Opposite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Twenty-Seven

Jungkook was almost in as much shock as Eunji, holding the limp girl who lay weakly against him. Tears dripped off her chin as both her hands covered her face. The lady could only look at both of them pitifully, as well as other passerbys who could notice their situation with just a glance. Jungkook gently guided Eunji to a seat to let a man behind them up to the counter. He gave a small sympathetic smile towards the two. 


After a few long minutes, Eunji's sobbing gradually became soft hiccups. Hair clung to her face and her eyes and nose were blotched with red. She took shaky breaths as Jungkook continued to pat her back encouragingly. 


"Don't worry, everything will be okay" Jungkook said quietly, though he knew those words had no base. Money doesn't come easily. If it did, his life would be a thousand times easier.
Eunji nodded  but deep down she knew it wasn't going to be easy, not one bit. 
The lady turned her head to them after hearing Eunji's crying was no longer as harsh.

 
"Would you like to see her? She's been transferred to a hospital room, although you can't enter just yet. There's a window for viewing," she said softly. 
Eunji gasped. "Yes, please."
"Sure. You'll both need to have a visitor's pass."


After quickly going through the process, Eunji and Jungkook both rushed to room 0314, the room where her mother was assigned to. 
"Room 0314....0314.." Eunji repeatedly muttered as she anxiously walked through the white corridors. The walls had the occasional painting and the marble tiles seemed glossy from reflecting the light. Everything seemed so clean, so sterilized. An old frail man walked by clutching on to his pole, giving the two a weak smile. Eunji and Jungkook forced a smile back.


As they progressed futher down the corridor, the numbers gradually beame closer to their goal. "0313.." she mumbled as she read a sign. She felt her heart beating rapidly as she looked at the next room ahead of her, the door with a gold sign saying 0314. She gasped and her steps sped up. She paused in front of the glass and hesitantly looked through. Jungkook stood behind her. The room was dark inside, so they could see their reflections through the window. But there was definitely the silhouette of a body lying on the bed. You could make out wires that connected to her arms and a machine monitoring her heartbeat, the bright green line unstable. Eunji gasped and knew it was definitely her mother on that bed, her poor weak mother, almost at the brink of death. 


Money.. money..money


That word repeated in her head as she desperately tried to conjure ways as to how to earn it, how to get it before its too late. 
"How can we get money in time?" Eunji whispered. "Theres no way. 1,000,000,000 won?" Eunji gave a weak, slighty hysterical laugh. "We'll never get that in time. And how about the future costs? We'll still need money afterwards."

"Stop putting yourself down Eunji-ah. We can get it. We just need to think of a way."
"A way!? Its not that simple! Agh!" Eunji clutched her hair as she sunk down the wall. She released her grip. "Work. I just need to work harder. Jungkook-ah, I know you want to help. But you're in need of money almost as much as me and it won't be right of me to force you to help me. So don't. Stay out of it."
Jungkook wanted to deny her offer, but he also knew that he was already struggling enough with money. He had little to give and he needed school so he could get a stable job in the future to help his family. He remained silent, his expression clouded with guilt. 


"It's okay Jungkook, I promise. You really don't need to feel bad," Eunji said with a small smile. 
"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry," he said as he pulled Eunji into an embrace. "I'm sorry. I'll give you what I can."
Eunji shook her head. "No. Don't give me anything." It pained Eunji to say these words but she knew she couldn't be selfish. Her mother meant as much to her as Jungkook's siblings meant to him. 


"Hello there," a deep voice greeted them. A man with a doctor's coat approached them. Glasses framed his face and his black hair was swept up. He seemed quite young to be a doctor but the stethoscope slung around his neck and his badge said otherwise. He held out his hands to shake both their hands. "I'm Doctor Yang, and I've been assigned to the patient in this room. Do you have relations to Mrs Jung?"
"Yes I'm her daughter," Eunji replied. The doctor nodded and looked at Jungkook. 
"Ah, I'm just her friend."
The doctor nodded once again and redirected his attention back to Eunji. "Your mother is in critical condition. I'm afraid to say she needs a heart transplant as quick as possible, but there is also the waiting list to be taken into account. If you pay within the next two weeks, you may make it in time. I'm sorry that we cannot place your mother onto the waiting list before your payment, as other patients are just as desperate to get a spot."
"Two....weeks?" Eunji gasped.
"Yes. That is all the time you can afford." He glanced at his watch. "I'm sorry I have to leave now. It was very nice to meet you both. Your mother may wake in the next few days" He gave a slight bow in which Eunji and Jungkook both returned, and quickly walked past them.
"I have to go. There's no time to waste," Eunji said. She brushed past Jungkook as she mindlessly walked back down the corridor. Jungkook followed behind her quietly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter