Chapter 11: Why Now?!

♦♦PRISM

Chapter 11: Why Now?!

 

 

 

The room fell silent, apparently none of us wants to talk, our eyes just continued to scan all around the room and to the person sitting right in front of us. His eyes continued to judge us, staring at us from head to toe. His lips formed an unpleasant smirk as he introduced himself to us.

 

“Hi girls. I am Kang YoHoon, you’re soon to be manager.” He said while he extended his hands towards us with a plastic smile on his face, and here I thought only girls are plastic. “It’s nice to finally meet you”

 

“Well the feeling is not mutual.” Shin said as she rolled her eyes and glared at Mr. Plastic.

 

“Shin. Manners.” I hissed then I looked at Mr. Plastic who seemed to be amused than irritated.

 

“Where’s Mr. Jung?” I asked in an impatient tone. “He’s supposed to be our manager.”

 

“Yes, he’s your Group Manager..While I am..” he answered but Ai made him stop.

 

“We don’t need two managers, you’re free to go.” Ai said while she glared at him while Seo Yeon pulled her back to her chair.

 

“You are in NO position to dismiss me young lady.” Mr. Plastic said while his eyes formed slits. “And would you all please let me finish.”

 

Nam just looked at him while I on the other hand felt like I’ll sink down on the floor as I recalled a clause on the contract that we signed. Why the freaking Owl did I forget that clause and not even discuss it to them?!

 

“I’m appointed to be HER manger.” Mr. Plastic finally said as he pointed at me, “She’ll debut first.”

 

As startled as I am, the other girl’s eyes widened and looked at me.

 

“Can I refuse that offer?” I answered.

 

“No. you all agreed to the contract.” Mr. Plastic said. “Or did you not even read the Solo Debut part?”

 

The girls shook their heads, “No.”

 

“Before all of you can debut as a group, you’ll be promoting as a SOLO artist, with NO strings attached to each other, in other words, You need to separate ways.” He continued.

 

“Can I still say No?” I asked again.

 

“No.” He answered sternly, “Or do you want to be sued with breach of contract? Please bear in mind that your career haven’t started yet.”

 

Then he left us after he has handed out my new schedule, Silence once again fell on us. To be honest I wanted to run away right now, well to be specific I want to run out of the room and knock Mr.Plastic’s head off.

 

“The Clause..” I started to break the silence, “I have read it..but only after we have signed the contract..I..I don’t want to ruin your happiness so I just chose to stay silent but then I forgot about it..and..”

 

“You could have told us..” Shin said clenching her fist in a tight ball.

 

“I..don’t want to debut alone.” I muttered, “I don’t want to leave you guys..”

 

“Nobody is leaving!” Nam shouted as she paced back and forth inside the room.

 

“I thought we’re going to debut?..as a team..” Seo Yeon suddenly burst out in tears.

 

Shin on the other hand was looking at me, and a pang of guilt hit me like a bullet train. Ai, the one who is just silently sitting in the corner then walked away. This is not what I wanted, this is not what I predicted would happen.

 

“We are going to debut as a team.” I said, “I’ll try my best to convince Mr.Plas-Mr. Kang that I would never debut first.”

 

Days passed by and apparently Mr. Plastic did not waste any time. A ring on our door bell was the first sign that he is really planning to break us apart. As soon as he entered the apartment, the scowls were evident in our faces. And I guess Ai wanted to throw him out and kill him mercilessly.

 

“You ready?” He asked without even greeting us. “Where are your bags?”

 

I looked away, I still haven’t packed anything yet and I am not planning too, I ain’t gonna move from this spot where I am standing. But then all of a sudden he pulled me and whispered.

 

“If you’re not going to move or do something I might make some drastic measures to make sure that none of your friends is going to debut.” He said then he pulled away flashing me a smirk. I so wanna strangle him to death.

 

I looked at Nam, I know that she would understand first, she gave me a small nod and I started to move towards my room and start packing.

 

“Be ready in 2 hours” Mr. Kang shouted before he closed the door behind him.

 

Packing my stuff has never been this hard, I normally finish packing in just 5 minutes but right now it seemed like I don’t know how to pack anymore. I opened my closet and started to pull out all of my clothes, I know that this is only temporary but the fact that I hate is that I have no idea when they’ll let the others debut, when they’ll let us perform as a group and not as an individual. With a heavy sigh I closed my 2nd suitcase. The other bags are now on top of my bed.

 

“Unnie..” Seo Yeon suddenly popped out of nowhere, and up until now I don’t know how she manages to sneak up. She then handed me a picture frame, I looked at her as her eyes started to get teary. “Come Back..” she sniffed and now my walls started to break as I hugged her.

 

“I will I promise..” I said while I stared at our photo, it was take just a few months ago, Shin was wearing her trademark smile, Ai posing with her hands forming that of a wolf, Nam smiling straight at the camera, Seo Yeon with an aegyo pose while I was smiling brightly at the camera while my arms were draped on their shoulders.

 

As Seo Yeon and I left the room with her hand still holding mine, I noticed Shin standing at her room’s doorway looking at me. I smiled at her and opened my arms and then there she came in rushing towards me enveloping me in a tight hug. “No matter what happens even if our communications will be cut off we’ll still be friends right?”

 

I nodded and I hugged her back. Nam then came into view, “He’s already downstairs waiting for you.” She said in a weak voice, “I’m gonna miss you..” She added while she held my hand tightly, and this is freakingly awkward, it’s as if I’m their mom that is about to leave them for another family. Oh, right I am their mom. But Hell should freeze first before I leave them for another.

 

“Ai..” I called her name from outside of the bathroom, “Open up..please..”

 

But still she stayed silent.

 

“I’m leaving..” I added as I took heavy steps. “But I’ll come back.”

 

Unlocking the door and opening it seem like a heavy burden, As I twisted the knob a pair of hands suddenly held me by my waist, “Kajima..” the voice behind me said. “I promise I won’t be that much of a glutton..” she whimpered making me chuckle as I remembered the first fight that we had. And then a decision hit me.

 

When I looked up once again, I saw them holding each other’s hands while there I was standing not far from them carrying my bags and was about to leave. The door flung open revealing Mr. Jung.

 

“Why are you all crying?” He asked.

 

“Mr. Jung!” we all cheered, our last ray of hope of still becoming a team arrived just in time. But our cheer faded away as Mr. Kang appeared behind him.

 

“If I won’t debut with them, then I’d rather leave the company.” I said in a dignant tone, making Mr. Jung look at me.

 

“Jin, you’re just going to debut as a..” Mr. Jung tried to explain.

 

“No! I promised them that we’ll debut together. That we’ll stand on the stage all at the same time!”

 

The girls behind me just stayed silent.

 

“Jin, you’ll be sued if you’re going to be that-“ Mr. Jung worriedly said.

 

“Then Sue me!” I shouted, “I don’t care! Just…” I added while I looked back at the girls. “Just make sure they’ll debut as a group..” I smiled.

 

Mr. Jung and Mr. Kang’s eyes widened at my decision.

 

“I guess the next time that we’ll meet will be in the court room..” I added as I smiled bitterly at the two managers.

 

“Sue us too!” the girls shouted from the back.

 

“If one of us leaves, then we all will.!” Seo Yeon said as she ran to my side.

 

“We’re a package so deal with it.” Shin simply said while she looked at Nam.

“Mr. Jung..we are happy that you chose us, over hundreds of hopefuls but we don’t want to debut if we’ll be separated, this maybe our dream but we will not be happy if we’re separated.” Nam elaborated while Ai stayed silent and walked towards my direction.

 

 

A smile slowly crept on Mr. Jung’s face which really made me so confused, we’re leaving and here he is smiling at us.

 

“Told you they’ll stick together. They’re like super glue..” Mr. Jung chuckled.

 

“You passed.” Mr. Kang simply said, “let me introduce myself again girls.”

 

We looked at them and I guess all of us has this imaginary question mark hovering above our heads.

 

“I am Kang YoHoon, your Lyric arranger..” He smiled but this time no pretense can be seen or felt.

 

“What?” I asked raising my right brow up.

 

“Nobody’s leaving girls..” Mr. Jung laughed.

 

“But the clause..” Ai said as she recalled the exact words that Mr. Kang said a couple of days ago.

 

“Well, the contract that we gave to Jin was just a part of this plan..” Mr. Jung chuckled. “We purposely added a fake clause on the contract making Jin think that it’s legit.”

 

“So you made me pack my stuffs just to say that this was just a test?!” I shrieked.

 

“So that’s why you were carrying those bags..” Mr. Jung said while he seemed to be amused of the situation. “But, I did not…” he stopped as he looked at Mr. Kang who was now smiling.

 

“What? I only did it to make it more realistic..at least now we know that they’ll selfless enough, and that they’re willing to sacrifice for the sake of the other party..” Mr. Kang shrugged.

 

“Wait..we’re going to a party?” Seo Yeon suddenly said making all eyes land on her.

 

“Shob?..you okay?” Ai asked Seo Yeon who nodded vigorously.

 

I actually tensed up, not because of the situation but because of a certain person clenching and unclenching her fist while gritting her teeth and gahd! That sound on gritting annoys me to death!

 

“Shin!” I hissed,what?! I am easily annoyed by those stuff. She also shot me a glare and then continued in what she was doing, well minus the teeth gritting to be exact.

 

“You.Made.Us.Cry.Like.Babies!” Shin clenched her fist, “You.made.us.be.emotional.” she added.

 

“We were just testing how tightly bonded you five are..” Mr. Kang shrugged not completely understanding the predicament that he currently in.

 

“We are really close…” Nam hissed under her breath.

 

“Really really really close..” Ai repeatedly chanted.

 

“To the point that we all want to do the same thing..” Seo Yeon said with a hint of mischievousness in her voice.

 

“And what thing might that be?” Mr. Kang asked.

 

“I really wished that you just did not ask that..” Mr. Jung said as he stepped back.

 

“It’s to strangle the living lights out of the two of you..then we’ll make it look like an accident..” Shin and I chorused.

 

“Wha--?!” Mr. Kang opened then closed his mouth.

 

“You girls have seriously watched too much CSI films..” Mr. Jung said while he continued to step back.

 

“Yeah..and after we’re done with both of you..we’ll just go to YG, JYP, CCM, Pledis, Starship, TOP, BigHit..and all other entertainment agencies…” I added as I continued to enumerate almost all of the entertainment companies.

 

“Girls..that is not a great idea..” Mr. Kang halfly whispered.

 

“I’ll give you an idea…” Shin smiled brightly “why don’t you run like what Mr. Jung is doing right now..and maybe you may have a chance to live..”

 

And just as what Shin said, Mr. Kang ran for his life while the five of us ran after them inside the entire building until we have reached the ground floor and out of the streets, in every passerby’s eyes we may seem crazy because we were laughing while chasing our manager and our Lyric arranger. But who cares about them? We’re happy that we can at least debut together as a group.

 

I looked back at the other girls who were happily smiling as they ran Shin with her pupleish black hair laughing hysterically, Nam who seemed just twice as hysterical as Shin, Seo Yeon who was the ever silent one in the group was laughing much louder that all of us, our sweet little Ai was screaming the words ‘comeback here and let me kill you’ on top of her lungs.

 

 

 

We all sat in the nearby park as we tried to catch our breaths, I really hope that we can be as carefree as this once we debut, I really wish that we can stay like this, like nothing else matters but our friendship and our dreams.

 

“I ever so congratulate all of you for making me, for the very first time run that much.” Mr. Kang said as he laughed, “and I’m sorry if I was stingy at first..”

 

“Not stingy..you’re annoying, you really did get on our nerves..” Nam said as she fanned herself.

 

With Nam’s last comment we laughed earning stares from the other people around us, and even Mr. Jung laughed loudly as possible.

 

“Wait, if he was annoying at the very first time that you met him, how about me?” Mr. Jung asked, “what was your first impression?”

 

“Hmmm…let’s just say we thought we found our long lost dad in you..” I said while I stared at the other girls who nodded in agreement.

 

“Dad?..” Mr. Jung asked again, “do I look that old?”

 

I looked at him, and no, he was not old, he just gave off this vibe that we can certainly trust him, that he can take care of all of us just like a parent would. With his brown locks all styled up for business, his business suit still left uncreased by all that running, paired up with his smiling eyes, he really did seem like a dad, only younger of course.

 

“By the way girls, he’s older than me..” Mr. Kang laughed.

 

“Really? I thought you were older than him..” Seo Yeon innocently commented, earning a glare from Mr. Kang and a new set of laughs sparked in our group.

 

“I am younger than he is..” Mr. Kang answered back giving Seo Yeon a glare.

 

“But..you look….” Ai sniggered but did not finish her sentence as she ran as soon as she saw Mr. Kang standing up.

 

And thus another round of ‘catch me if you can’ started.

 

“Hello.” Mr. Jung phone suddenly rang breaking the laughter. “Yes, I’m with them now. Yes..I understand..we’ll be there.”

 

“Who was it?” I asked.

 

“The old man..” Mr. Jung sniggered, “I mean Soo Man..he called..asking if you could come to the office..”

 

“You..i think you mean all of you..” I said as I stared at the other girls.

 

“No..just you..” Mr. Jung said in a strange serious tone. “He said he needs to see you. and I’m not joking..”

 

I looked at the girls who in turn gave me a nod.

 

“Hey..YoHoon Hyung!” Mr. Jung shouted making Mr. Kang stop running after Ai. Then glared at Mr. Jung. “Office now..”

 

 

After a half an hour travel to the office my chest heaved up and down faster than usual as my breath hitched automatically. He was staring at me in the most intimidating way, but I just can’t let him see my nervousness.

 

“You’re going to debut soon” Mr. Lee said as he pulled out a folder from his desk, “But I need you to do this first.” He added as he gave me the folder

 

“This is..a..” My eyes widened, as my mouth gaped wider.

 

“Yes a contract for Caribbean Bay.” Mr. Lee finished, “they want a fresh face so I’m giving you this project consider it as a predebut project for you.”

 

“For me and my group.” I answered, “I won’t accept this project without them.”

 

“There’s five of you and the other two are younger than the specified age.”

 

“Then give them a project to work on to, not just me.”

 

“Here.” Mr. Lee once again took another folder, “but this case 5 of you will work for that project”

 

“W-mag..” I muttered under my breath.

 

“Yes, for their summer issue, they need models and judging with your groups height and features it suits your group well..and I have heard from Mr. Kang about the scene this morning..that was touching I might say..” Mr. Lee smiled.

 

I smiled back at him.

 

“And oh, your group needs to write a song..” he said breaking my smile.

 

“You mean, we need to write a song, compose a song…” I muttered.

 

“Yes. I think I need to dismiss you now, I still have a meeting to attend to.” He said as he waved his hand completely dismissing me and Mr. Jung who was so silent all this time.

 

Silence once again reigned between me and Mr. Jung. He clearly knows that when I want to think about something I need to be alone and thus he left me on the streets walking back to the dorm. I walked silently while thinking of a song, a song that could possibly reflect the five of us our journey, everything that has happened with the five with us, everything that we have been experiencing.

 

“Miss excuse me.” A girl with black hair while wearing a red shirt stopped me in my track as she handed me a flyer containing a picture of an airplane. “K airlines has the—“

 

The salesgirl did not have a chance to finish as I hugged her suddenly. “Thank you so much, plane promoting girl and I ‘ll ask my friends about this..byeeeee!!!” I said as I let her go stunned as I ran towards our apartment.

 

---------------------------

 

“PRISM! Family meeting!” I shouted as soon as I entered the room and took off my shoes, every door flung open as they gathered in the living room. I explained to them the details about the photo shoot and the Caribbean Bay contract and about the song.

 

“So..let’s first discuss the song…what would be the theme?” Nam said as she pushed Shin and pointed at the pen and the paper.

 

“Why me?!” Shin shouted as she feel on the floor.

 

“You’re the secretary.” The four of us chorused making Shin stand up and repeatedly curse under her breath asking how the hell did she get the part of being the secretary.

 

As soon as she sat down, Nam instructed her to write every word I manage to mutter as they arranged the sequence of the song and with the help of Mr. Kang the melody of the song might be added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Title: Take Off

Album Track Number: #5

Album: Pixie Dreams

Vocals: Jin, Seo Yeon, Nam

Lyric arranger: Kang YoHoon

Rap: Ai, Shin

Duration: 03:21

 

 

‘Meeting you wasn’t fate

With our dreams we bind

Our dreams can be seen

shining in our eyes

We keep on marching forward 

Towards our bright light

 

(I’ll be) wherever you are

(With you) cheering you on

I promise this(You and me)

(Please be) Together we’ll stay (with me)

Even if we fail

Together we’ll open the door

To our bright future

 

Chorus:

(be)Ready ready for the take off

As we head to fulfill our dreams

(so) So don’t let go of our hands

(be)Ready ready for our take off

To that place where our dream is our goal

(so)

Hold on, tightly, as we, fly high

 

 

When they pull us down

Just don’t worry

and show them what we got

and push them back

 

(Please be)Just tell me(with me)

That magic word

that will give me

Courage to stand up

 

Chorus 2:

(be) ready ready for the take off

Heading to that bright light

At that place

Where our dreams

can come true

(be)Ready ready for our take off

Let’s head to the place

where we stand

as one

 

 

 

Rap1:

Now go go go with the flow

We got our future (hold on tight)

Let’s make that and get up

Let’s jump up, up up

 

Rap2:

We’re gonna go high, one at a time

Yes, we’ll get it, we want it

Oh my God!

Everybody we’ll show you how

Everybody let’s do it now

Grab your dreams and shout!

 

Rap3:

Baby it’s our dream, I thought I was just joking

Let me hear your voice, shout to the sky

It’s our choice

Are we ready? Let’s take off!

 

 

Our dream, we’ll reach it

As we move forward

Heads held high

 

(we’re) ready ready for our take off

Let’s take off to the place of our dreams

Just hold on, tightly, as we, fly high…