Chapter 8

Closing the Distance

After returning from London I fell back into my usual routine. Working and hanging out with my friends. My relationship with Sung Joon was going strong considering the distance. He would call me at least 4 times a week. We would message each other for hours on end. When he had a night off we would Skype. This carried on for months and everything was great. Sung Joon was about to finish up his drama and he was thinking of coming to Australia to visit me once it was done. I had secretly been saving up to go to Korea to meet him for his birthday. I wasn’t sure if it was safe to do so but I’m sure if I contacted Soo Hyuk and Young Kwang they would help me out. Mind you, his birthday wasn’t for another 9 months. Mine however had just past. 

I received a package a week later and in it was presents from not only Sung Joon but Soo Hyuk, Young Kwang and Jong Hyun as well. That day he promised to Skype me and sure enough he did. I did not expect to see the others there as well. I had kept in touch with them as well. Making sure they were doing okay and looking after Sung Joon. They kept making sure Sung Joon was treating me well and promised to come and visit me together when they could. 

“There’s someone that wants to meet you.” says Sung Joon during the Skype session we were having. “He’s not here yet but he said he’s on the way. He should be here soon.” 

I continued to chat with the four men, making jokes and catching up. It was like that last night in London all over again. We’re interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. Sung Joon gets up to open the door. Next thing you the other three have left the screen and I can hear yelling as they greet the newcomer. I am reminded of the day Sung Joon and I returned from Paris and am glad that they’re in the confines of Sung Joon’s house and not out in public. 

“Jae. Say hi.” says Sung Joon, appearing in the screen again. Another tall figure moves to sit beside him.

“Hi. It’s nice to finally meet you.” he says. I cannot believe my eyes. Beside my handsome boyfriend is another man - just as handsome. Kim Woo Bin. 

“Oh. H-Hi. I’m Lee Jae. It’s nice to meet you. I’m a huge fan.” I say. 

“Why do you look so shocked?” says Sung Joon. I turn my gaze back to him. 

“Huh? No reason. I knew you guys were friends but I didn’t think I’d actually get to meet him.” I say, feeling my cheeks heat up as five of Koreas hottest actors fill my computer screen, watching me. 

“Did you see the end of my drama?” says Sung Joon, snapping me out of my daze. 

“Yeah. It was really good.” I say, remembering the three kiss scenes he had in the one episode. THREE!

“Oh, she isn’t saying anything about the kiss scenes Sung Joon.” says Woo Bin. “She’s a keeper.”

They all laugh. “Why aren’t you saying anything about it, Jae-ssi?” says Jong Hyun. 

“There’s nothing to say.” I say, shrugging. “My boyfriend is an actor so naturally, I have to be accepting of what he does for his career. If I fought with him every time he did a kiss scene we wouldn’t be together anymore.”

“Don’t even joke about that Jae.” says Sung Joon. 

“Swarry” I say, trying to lighten the mood. 

The five men exchange glances before bursting into laughter. I start to laugh too. After finally calming down the others excuse themselves as they go to put on a movie. 

“Ah, is it movie night or something?” I ask Sung Joon. 

“Yeah. I’ve finally finished my drama. Woo Bin hyung just finished his movie. We all finally have a bit of free time so we decided to get together.” he says. 

“Then maybe you should go join them. You can call me again tomorrow.” I say. 

“That’s okay. I can talk for a bit more.”

“But we’re gonna disturb their viewing.”

“Disturb their viewing?” says Sung Joon, laughing at my choice of words. “Whatever you say baby girl. I’ll call you tomorrow okay?”

“Okay Oppa.” I say, waving.

“Bye Jaesu-ssi!” I hear from the background.

“Bye!” I yell back.

“Bye sweety. I love you.” says Sung Joon. Blowing a kiss. I blow a kiss back and wave as he hangs up. 

 

A few months later and I realise something is wrong. Sung Joon isn’t calling me as frequently anymore. He isn’t messaging me as much either. I assumed he was busy with the new film movie he got casted for. I still sent him a supportive message at least once a week - hoping he wouldn’t forget me. Eventually I stopped hearing form him altogether. After a couple of months with no replies I gave up. 

I had already bought tickets to South Korea to surprise him for his birthday. But since it seemed he didn’t want to be with me anymore I decided to take the chance for a holiday. As the day came closer, I started regretting even buying the tickets in the first place. What if I ran into him while I was there? The likeliness was slim but it’s a small world and knowing my luck I would probably run into him on my last day there. I still kept in touch with Soo Hyuk every now and then. I never asked him about Sung Joon and even though I’m sure he knew something was up, he never mentioned anything. 

Eventually the day came and I found myself in South Korea. I had listed down all the places I wanted to go and was enjoying the time by myself. Until one day, when I was sitting in a cafe and someone approached me. He said he was a representative from the music label ‘Music Farm’. He wanted to sign me on to their company. I knew for a fact that I couldn’t sing and that I wasn’t nearly as visually appealing as some of the idols out there, so I assumed it was a scam and walked away from him. He stopped me at the door and handed me his card. He told me to look him up and once I was sure that he was legit, to call him. 

I searched his name and sure enough he had a profile up on the ‘Music Farm’ site. But then again it’s the internet. I knew that ‘Music Farm’ was a legit company because John Park was in it. The chances of me being scouted off the street for the company that John Park is in were slim. So I decided to get some help from someone who could look into it personally. 

I could feel my heart racing as the dial tone kept ringing. I was half hoping that he wouldn’t pick up. 

“Hello?” 

“H-Hello? Soo Hyuk Oppa?”

“Jae? Is that you?”

“Yes. How are you Oppa?”

“I’m good. Is everything okay? You never call me.”

“Actually.. I wanted to ask for your help.”

“Sure. What is it? Though I don’t know what I can do for you from here.”

“Well, I’m actually in Seoul right now.”

“You are? Why didn’t you tell me you were coming? I could have picked you up. Where are you staying? I’ll come over right away.”

I tell him the name of the hotel and my room number and hang up. 

20 minutes later and there’s a knock at the door. 

I open it and Soo Hyuk wraps me up in a hug, lifting me off the ground. 

It’s so good to see you!” he says, before putting me down. He goes into the room and sits down as I shut the door behind him.  

“You didn’t have any schedules today, Oppa?” I ask him as I sit on the bed, facing him.

“Not today.” I nod. 

“You haven’t told anyone I’m here yet have you?” I ask him.

“You called me 20 minutes ago, Jae. Who could I have possibly told?”

“Hey,” I shrug, “News travels fast these days.”

He laughs then slouches in the chair. 

“So what brings you here Jae?” he asks. 

“Well, in all honesty, I bought the tickets ages ago thinking I could surprise Sung Joon Oppa for his birthday. But well...” I say, knowing he knows what happened. Soo Hyuk looks at the floor. “But just yesterday I was approached by some guy. He wants me to sign a contract with his company to be a singer.”

That makes Soo Hyuk look up. “You know half of those types of people are scammers right?”

“I know. That’s why I called you. I Googled him and he seems legit, but then again you can’t always trust the internet either.” I reach over to the bedside table and pick up the business card the man had given me. I hand it to Soo Hyuk. 

“This is his card. Could you find out if it’s legit for me? Please.” 

Soo Hyuk looks at the card and nods. 

“Sure thing. If it’s legit, are you gonna sign?” he asks me, looking up at me. 

“I don’t know. Maybe.” I say. 

We talk for a bit more before Soo Hyuk gets a call from his manager. 

“It’s good to see you Jae. I’m glad you called me.” he says, holding onto my hand with one foot out the door. 

“Thanks for coming so quickly Oppa.”

“I should tell the others you’re here. I’m sure they’d want to see you too.”

I look down at the floor and think for a bit.

“Sure. But don’t tell him I’m here. Please.” I say, looking up into Soo Hyuks eyes. I know he knows who I’m talking about and he purses his lips and nods. He squeezes my hand before letting go and walking out the door, turning to wave once before he disappears down the hall. 

 

A few days later I get a call from Soo Hyuk. He tells me the guy from Music Farm checks out. He messages me the guys details since he has the business card. I decide to call Music Farm and the man that approached me tells me to go to the agency the next day. 

I arrive in front of the building and I start to doubt my decision. I never dreamed of becoming a singer and I know how competitive the industry is, especially in South Korea. In the meeting with the reps I tell them that I have no confidence in my singing or dancing ability and they say that it’s fine and that’s what training is for. They seem keen for me to work with them so I decide to sign the contract. They tell me to move into dormitories the next day and I will officially start training the following week.

 

A/N: Are these chapters too long? :/ 

I don't even know anymore.. Here is a prime example of me rushing through to get to a certain point.. I basically rushed through months BUT I needed to do it.. for the story.. ;) 

xo