Chapter 4

Closing the Distance

“Jae-ya! Let’s take a picture.” Sung Joon says as he comes out onto the balcony, where I’m taking in the scenery. He has a polaroid camera in his hands and holds it up as he puts an arm over my shoulders. He leans down so that our faces are close together. Blushing slightly I look up into the camera lens as he presses the button. I still couldn’t believe I was in Paris with Sung Joon. “One more.” he says moving behind me. He places his head on my shoulder and hold the camera up so that his arms are on either side of my face. “One, two -” I quickly look up at the camera and smile. Click. 

“Cool. Go get ready now.” he says as he takes the pictures and heads inside. 

“Where are we going?” I ask as I follow him.

“Don’t tell me you were thinking of coming to Paris and not going to see the Eiffel Tower?” he says to me, putting the camera in his bag and then heading over to his suitcase.

“Oh. Right.” I say, heading to my own bag. 

 

An hour later we arrive at the Eiffel Tower. We take pictures underneath it and if anybody else saw us they would think we’re on a date. But I’m pretty sure we’re not. Are we? I don’t know what to make of all of this. Sung Joon hasn’t said much about us and has pretty much gone into tourist mode.

“Haven’t you been to Paris before?” I ask him as we sit on the grass in front of the Eiffel Tower, having lunch. “I mean, if you were a model before you must have come here, right?” 

“You got me.” he says, smiling. Damn that smile. “Yeah I’ve been here before.  A few times actually.”

“Then why are you acting like such a tourist?” 

“I thought you might be too shy to do all the tourist-y things so if I did it instead, you might be more comfortable.” he says, shrugging. I stare at Sung Joon and take in his features. Not only is he handsome but he’s also a genuinely nice person. He was right though. I am a bit shy and I didn’t want to make it obvious to the world that I was a tourist, so if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have gotten as many pictures or have nearly as much fun as I was having with Sung Joon. 

“Thank you.” I say, looking away from him and continuing to eat my lunch.

We spend the rest of the day getting to know each other better and traveling around Paris. Sung Joon goes into tour guide mode and shows me the places he’s been, taking pictures for me and with me. 

It’s late by the time we get back to the hotel. I have a shower first and while I’m in the shower I worry about how I’m going to sleep tonight. There’s only one bed. I finish up in the shower and go out in my pyjamas. 

“You can go in now.” I say to Sung Joon who is looking out the window. He turns around and I feel self conscious as he looks at me. I move to my bag to put away my clothes from the day. I see him out of the corner of my eye grab his towel and enter the bathroom. When I hear the door shut I let out a breath. I zip up my bag and go to the bed. Sung Joon’s phone is on one side of the bed, so I assume he wants to sleep on that side and I pull the blanket down. I snuggle into the blanket and roll over to my side - the side facing away from Sung Joon’s side of the bed. I yawn. After walking around all day I feel absolutely knackered. I hear a vibrating sound from behind me so I roll over and see that Sung Joon has a new message. I ignore it and take my own phone off the bedside table. I open Facebook and scroll through the Newsfeed, checking what my friends are up to. I hear the bathroom door open. I turn to look at Sung Joon. Bad idea. Sung Joon walks up to the bed drying his hair with the towel. He has no shirt on and my eyes travel down his chest to his abs. I quickly look away before he notices I was staring. He picks up his phone and throws the towel onto a chair. He sits on the side of the bed and replies to the message. 

My phone rings. I sit up and look at the screen “Soo Hyuk-ssi”. I look at Sung Joon once before answering. 

“Hello?” I say, I can tell that Sung Joon is looking at me now.

Hello? Jae-ssi? How’s Paris?” 

“Hi, Oppa. Paris is great.” I say. I glance at Sung Joon and he has a questioning look on his face. I smile slightly before turning my body away from him. 

“That’s great. When do you come back?”

“Tomorrow.” I tell him. It’s then that I realise I never told them I was going to Paris. “Hang on. How did you know I was here?”

“Ah. Sung Joon told us.”

“Figures.” I say, looking at Sung Joon who is now staring at me intently.

“We go back to Seoul the day after tomorrow so we were wondering if you wanted to have dinner with us tomorrow night?” 

“I’d love to, Oppa.” 

“Great. I’ll text you the details okay? See you then.”

“See you.” 

I hang up the phone and turn to see Sung Joon is now sitting on the side of the bed, looking at me. 

“Who was that?” he asks. “And when are you seeing them?”

I’m a bit flustered by the way he’s looking at me. There’s an intensity in his eyes and I don’t know what it means. 

“That was Soo Hyuk oppa.”

Sung Joon’s expression eases. “Oh.” he says. “He asked you about dinner tomorrow?”

I nod. 

“Gee he’s impatient.” he turns to sit on the bed properly, scuffling back so that he’s leaning on the pillows. “He messaged me to ask you and he couldn’t even wait 5 minutes for a reply.”

I am now fully aware that THE Bang Sung Joon is laying in bed next to me. Topless. I can feel myself starting to blush and quickly lie down before he notices. I pull the blanket up to my shoulders and say a quick goodnight before turning over to my side. I shuffle as close as I can to the edge of the bed without falling off. 

I hear a chuckle from behind me. “You’re going to fall off.” 

“I’m okay. This is comfortable.” I tell him. 

“I’m not gonna eat you up you know?” he says. I can hear the smile in his voice. My heart starts racing. I decide to pretend that I’m asleep and don’t answer him. “I know you’re not sleeping. I can feel through the bed that your heart is pounding.”