Chapter 6

Closing the Distance

A few hours later and we’re back in London. We arrive to my hotel and as soon as we step through the doors I hear screaming. I look around to see Soo Hyuk, Young Kwang and Jong Hyun running towards us. Sung Joon lets go of my hand and the luggage and spread his arms as the three men jump into a group hug. I watch them, amused. They let go of each other and start talking to each other - more like over each other while I just stand there watching. I realise they may have forgotten about me so I clear my throat. No response. I cough again - more obviously this time. Sung Joon turns around and looks at me. 

“Oh! Sorry Jae.” he says as he comes and pulls me over, letting me in the circle. 

Now they all turn their attention to me. Asking me how Paris was and some random questions about what happened with Sung Joon. They’re all talking at the same time so I don’t know who to answer. 

“Wait. Wait. WAIT!” I yell, making them all stop to stare at me, wide-eyed. 

Jong Hyun looks me up and down. “Where in the world did that voice come from?” The others chuckle. 

“Let’s go up to my room and talk. You guys are being too noisy here and people are starting to stare.” 

They finally realise their surroundings. 

“You’re right.” Young Kwang says. He puts and arm around Jong Hyun and Soo Hyuk and starts walking towards the elevator. Sung Joon grabs our bags with one hand and takes my hand with the other. We stand behind the guys as we wait for the elevator to arrive. When it does we allow the people on there to get out first before they go in. They turn around and see us hand in hand and start nudging each other, pointing at us as if they’ve never seen two people hold hands before. This goes on for the whole elevator ride.

We get to my room and I let them in and they straight away make themselves comfortable. Sung Joon, Soo Hyuk and Young Kwang taking the bed and Jong Hyun taking the chair. 

“Are you guys hungry?” I ask them. “Should I go out and get something for us to eat?”

“No, no. You stay here.” Sung Joon says to me. “Soo Hyuk Hyung, let’s go.”

Soo Hyuk looks up at him. “Yah! Why me? Go with Jong Hyun.” 

Jong Hyun stands. “Let’s go, Sung Joon-ah!” 

Sung Joon kisses me on the forehead on his way out, giving me silent support for the onslaught of questions he knew would come at me as soon as he left the room. Sure enough, as soon as the door closed behind them Soo Hyuk and Young Kwang were in front of me, eyes b with eagerness. 

“So....” Young Kwang says, pulling off a very convincing Puss in Boots look.

“So?” I turn away from them and start to unpack my bag from Paris. 

“Don’t play dumb Jae-ssi. Or should we call you sister-in-law now?” Young Kwang jokes. 

“It wouldn’t be too much different. We’ll just have to add one more syllable. Jaesu-ssi.” Soo Hyuk says, earning a high-five from his friend. 

“You guys are hopeless.” I say to them, still not meeting their gazes. 

“So are you. Hopelessly in love!” Young Kwang says laughing so hard he slides off the bed. 

“With Sung Joon!” Soo Hyuk joins in. 

I turn around and watch them as they roll around holding their sides. 

“We didn’t even do anything.” I tell them, when they finally calm down. “We did some sightseeing and then he asked me to be his girlfriend.” 

“And you said yes.” Soo Hyuk says. 

“I did.”

“We knew it would happen.” says Young Kwang, “Mind you we did put the plan into action.” 

“What plan?” I ask him.

“As soon as you came into that cafe Sung Joon fell for you.” he says. “We could tell and then we realised you actually knew who we were. We kept telling Sung Joon to go over and talk to you but he wouldn’t. So -”

“So I went over and talked to you first.” Soo Hyuk jumps in. “I knew if we forced the situation and made it look like we were getting close to you he would feel jealous and make a move.”

“Which he did.” says Young Kwang, “when he walked you home. He hated the fact that we had gotten close and that we got your number. So he offered to walk you home to make more of an impression of you.”

“But we knew that you liked him all along.” says Soo Hyuk. My neck was getting sore from facing each man when they spoke. “We saw the way you stared at him in the cafe before you came to sit with us.”

I face palmed myself. “How embarrassing. Here I thought I was being subtle.”

Young Kwang stands up and ruffles my hair. “You were far from subtle, kiddo.” 

We all laugh a little and talk about other things, like their next projects and what I’m going to do when I return to Australia. 

After some time Sung Joon and Jong Hyun return with food. 

“We didn’t want to get anything too heavy because we’re going out for dinner.” says Jong Hyun. 

“Well done.” says Young Kwang, taking the food from them and taking it out and setting it down on the table. 

Sung Joon hands Soo Hyuk the bag of drinks he’s holding while putting his other arm over my shoulder. He leans down to whisper in my ear. 

“They weren’t too hard on you were they?” he asks me. 

“No. They were really nice about it actually.” I say, leaning up a bit so that the others wouldn’t be able to hear. 

“Yah. Sung Joon-ah! We only talked about you for 2 minutes. Then we moved on, so relax will you?” Young Kwang says from across the room. 

With that we all sat down to eat and spent hours talking and laughing with each other. Before we knew it the sun was starting to set. 

“The sun’s setting” I say to them. “Shouldn’t we be getting ready to go out?”

“I actually can’t be bothered.” says Soo Hyuk.

“Me neither. I think sitting here is a lot more comfortable.” says Young Kwang.

“And more fun. We can be as loud as we want.” says Jong Hyun. 

Sung Joon nods in agreement. Like that, we spend the rest of the night talking and ordering more food. Playing games and laughing till we had tears in our eyes. 

As the night deepened I remembered that they leave for Seoul tomorrow. When there is a moment of silence I decide to ask them. 

“What time is your flight tomorrow?”