Chapter 7

Closing the Distance

I see Sung Joon look down at his lap when I ask and the others send odd glances to each other. 

“Our flight leaves at 2. So we have to be at the airport by 12ish.” says Jong Hyun. 

I look at the clock. It’s 1 o’clock in the morning. 

“Shouldn’t you be getting back to your hotel then?” I say. “I don’t mean to kick you guys out but it’s really late and you need to pack and get some sleep don’t you?” 

“We already packed.” says Young Kwang. “We kind of assumed we’d end up spending heaps of time here so we packed early. Our hotel is closer to the airport than here so we can just go past to pick up our stuff from here.”

I nod. I look at Sung Joon and see that he is still looking down at his lap. I take his hand and give him a light squeeze. He looks up at me and gives me a small smile. I smile back and then turn around to the others who have just started their next topic of conversation. 

A couple of hours later and the boys are asleep on the floor. One by one they decided to lie down while talking and one by one they fell asleep. I clear up the food we had as quietly as I can. 

Once I was done I went out to the balcony, looking out at the city lights. The wind was chilly so I wrapped my cardigan around me tighter and kept my arms close around my abdomen. I wondered what the future will hold for Sung Joon and I. It definitely won’t be easy. But I trust that he’ll make me feel like we’re always together. I understand how hard it is to be a celebrity in South Korea so in a way I’m glad we live in different countries. Korean fandoms scare me. 

I feel warm arms wrap around my waist. I look up to see Sung Joon looking down at me. I lean into his chest, taking his warmth in the cold night. He leans down and snuggles his face into my neck. 

“I don’t know what I’m going to do without this.” he says. 

“Hmm?” I say, closing my eyes and savouring the moment. 

“Not being able to hug you when I want. Or kiss you.” he says as he places a light kiss on my neck. I turn around and wrap my arms around his waist, resting my head on his chest.

“I just worry that you’re gonna get so busy you’ll forget about me.” I say.

“I won’t forget you. I may get so busy that I forget to call you or message you, but I’ll definitely not forget you.”

“And what if you forget to message me once and then twice and then I never hear from you again?” 

“That won’t happen.” he says as he tightens his grip on me. 

 

The next day we leave my hotel and stop at the boys hotel before going to the airport. Once they have checked in we stand near the gates. 

“When do you go back to Aus, Jae?” asks Young Kwang. 

“I still have a couple of days left.” I tell him. 

Sung Joon turns me around to face him. “You’ll call me if anything happens right? I don’t like it that you’re here alone.” 

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me. I was by myself before I met you.”

“Well, I’ll call you to check in anyways.”

“Aren’t you going to start a new drama when you get back?”

“Yeah. But I’ll have time to send you a text message at least.”

“It won’t get really busy until a couple of weeks in, Jae. And if you can’t get a hold of Sung Joon, feel free to call one of us.” says Young Kwang. 

“Thanks, Oppa.” I tell him. 

Soo Hyuk looks at the time. “I hate to do this to you guys but it’s time we went in.” he says. “Look after yourself okay, Jae? You can call me anytime you want. Especially if this stick is being a jerk to you.” We chuckle a bit, wary of Sung Joon watching us. I give him a small hug, thanking him for inviting me to sit with them the first day we met.

“Jaesu-ssi!” says Young Kwang, pulling me into a hug. “I’ll miss you, kiddo. Take care of yourself and keep in touch.” He lets go and ruffle my hair. 

“Maybe we can go to Australia for our next holiday.” says Jong Hyun. “Don’t worry Jae-ssi, we’ll keep an eye on Sung Joon for you.” he winks at me and gives me a quick hug. The three men wave and walk towards the gate - giving me and Sung Joon space. 

I move into his arms and hold onto him, not wanting to let go just yet. 

“I’ll miss you, baby girl.” He says. “Promise me you’ll look after yourself okay?”

I nod. “I’ll miss you too Oppa.” He lets go and holds onto my shoulders leaning down to look me in the eyes. 

“I’m gonna make this work. I’m gonna make US work. So don’t give up on me okay?” I nod again. “I’ll come to you as soon as I can.” He hugs me again, tighter than before. I try to hold back my tears. It was only a few days but they were the best days of my life. I don’t remember ever laughing or smiling that much ever. Sung Joon lets go again and leans down to press his lips against mine. I kiss him back as he places his hands on either side of my face. A tear falls from my eye and touches his thumb, that’s on my cheek. He pulls away and looks at me. He wipes away the tear. “I love you, Jae.” He kisses me again and then walks to where his friends are waiting. 

I turn around and watch as they go in. Forcing a smile and waving until I can no longer see them. I stand in the middle of the airport, not sure if I want to go back to the hotel yet. Right when I decide to leave I feel my phone vibrate. I take it out to find a new message. It’s from Sung Joon. “I’ll keep in touch. Promise.”

 

A/N: Ah.. the inevitable split. I know I tend to rush things half way through but I'm a bit impatient to get to the end. I don't think of everything in detail and just go over the important parts skipping parts where I don't know what they'd say each to each other. 

I hope you're enjoying this so far. :)