Chapter 20

Closing the Distance

The next day I move back home while Sung Joon is out filming his drama. The next time I see him is for our WGM filming. Today is the day that the guys come over for a ‘house-warming’ party. We both arrive at our newlywed house and we start to film our preparations. Now it’s just like the cameras aren’t on us and we’re just hanging out together. 

“Are you going to cook? Seriously?” Sung Joon asks me. I give him a look.

“Why do you sound so surprised?” I say, crossing my arms. He shakes his head. 

“I’m not. Just making sure you’re sure. Do you have everything you need?” I nod. I pull out the ingredients from the fridge to make some finger food as well as a proper meal. I got a message from Jong Hyun earlier saying he expects to be fed rice. 

“Can you clear up the living room and the bedroom while I get started? We can’t let them see the house in the state it’s in.” I say to Sung Joon and he nods. He moves around the house straightening out cushions and sweeping dust off the tables while I start preparing the ingredients. The guys aren’t due for a few hours and we’re expected to film all day. 

I get pretty immersed in cooking and after a while the staff turn the cameras off so that they can have a break. I continue cooking because, well, I have to. During the filming break Sung Joon comes into the kitchen. 

“Do you need a hand?” he asks. I shake my head, eyebrows furrowed with concentration. He leans down to whisper in my ear so that the filming staff can’t hear us. “Baby, you need to interact with me a bit more otherwise we aren’t gonna have much air time.” 

I look up at him and blink a few times. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I just lost myself for a second there. What should we do?” 

“I don’t know. Can’t we talk while you cook?” I nod. 

“I’ll try, Oppa.” 

“I know. Ask me questions about the guys. You’re not supposed to know who’s coming remember?” I gasp and clap my hands together. 

“You’re right! Okay. I’ve got it.” I say. 

Shortly after the camera crew returns from their break and they resume filming. Sung Joon makes an entrance into the kitchen and leans on the counter beside me. 

“How’s it coming along, yeobo?” I smirk at the pet name. It’s only been a couple of weeks since we started calling each other ‘yeobo’ but we decided we’ll only use it on screen so we can differentiate between variety and reality. 

“Just fine. Try this.” I pick up a spoon and scoop some of the soup I’m cooking. I blow on it a bit before holding it up to Sung Joon’s lips. He slurps it up and hesitates for a second. “How is it?” 

“This is really good. My friends will love it.” he says, giving me a thumbs up. This is technically the first time I’ve cooked a proper meal for all of them so I’m determined to get it right. “Do you need any help?”

“I’m okay, thanks.” I say, continuing what I was doing. “Who is coming today?” 

“My friends.” Sung Joon says. I look up and glare at him. He laughs and nudges me. “I’m not lying. But they’re all actors. That’s all I’m going to tell you.” 

“That totally helps.” I say, sarcastically. 

“Okay, I’ll give you another hint. They’re all my hyungs.” I nod. 

“Is there anything I should know about them? I don’t want to give them a bad first impression.” Sung Joon puts an arm around me and I look up at him, raising an eyebrow. I can imagine how the panel in the studio would be reacting right now. 

“You can never give them a bad impression, yeobo.” he says in a tone lower than usual. I squirm away from him, looking at him incredulously. 

“Oww, don’t say things like that. It’s a bit seedy.” I say and he gasps. 

“Seedy? I’m trying to be a nice and loving husband here and you’re calling me seedy?” he says, huffing. “You’re going to pay for that.” 

Before I can process what he’s said he lunges forward and starts tickling me. I squeal and squirm, trying to get away from him. 

“Oppa! Oppa! Food!” I say between breaths. Instead of stopping he picks me up by wrapping his arms around my waist and carries me out of the kitchen so that we’re away from the food and continues tickling me. I drop to the ground and curl up trying to protect myself from his attacks. He doesn’t stop and I start to roll around. Eventually I turn and wrap myself around his feet so that he can’t move and luckily for me, his inflexibility doesn’t allow him to bend down far enough to get me. 

“Enough, Oppa. Please?” I say, looking up at him. He nods and holds his hands out. Instead of taking it I hold out my pinky. “Promise?” 

He laughs before hooking his pinky with mine. “Promise, yeobo.” 

He holds his hands out again and I take them. He practically lifts me up so that I’m standing on my feet again. He pushes some stray locks of hair out of my face while I try to get my breath back. 

“Your hair is a mess.” he laughs and I run my hands through it, trying to smooth it out. 

After I’ve finished cooking and a few more sweet moments for the camera, the sun is starting to set and it’s time for our ‘guests’. 

I offer the staff some food because I’ve made a lot of it and after yet another break in filming and the guys have arrived we begin again. The guys get ready to press the doorbell and pretend like they just got there. 

The cameras are ready to roll and Sung Joon and I take our places in the living room after having set the table. We sit and talk about nothing for a bit while they film the guys pulling into the driveway and walking up to the door. 

We get the signal that they’re filming and a few minutes later the doorbell rings. Sung Joon and I exchange glances before he races to the intercom, effectively covering the screen so that I can’t see who’s here because ‘I don’t know’ who’s coming today. I run past Sung Joon and go straight for the door. 

“Yah!” I hear him call out after me but he’s too late. I’ve already opened the door. 

“Yo!” Young Kwang says. I pretend to freeze as I take in the faces of all the guys. I snap out of it really quickly and bow to them all. I step aside and hold the door open. 

“Please, come in. It’s nice to meet you.” I say as they make their way in, all with knowing smirks on their faces. “Oh! Oppa!” I say, as Soo Hyuk is the last one to come in. 

He puts and arm around me and I put an arm around his waist as we enter the living room. Sung Joon eyes us when we come in. 

“Hyung.” he says, patting Soo Hyuk on the shoulder. 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were inviting Soo Hyuk Oppa?” I ask Sung Joon, looking up at him. 

“Why? Did you wanna dress up for him?” he asks, jealousy clear in his tone. I stop myself from rolling my eyes. 

“Yah. Stop that.” Soo Hyuk says, letting me go and going to join the others. 

Sung Joon pulls me to the side and whispers in my ear. “Do you have to be that close to him?” 

I quietly slip my hand into his and give his hand a squeeze, reaching up to whisper in his ear. “I love you, silly.” That makes him smile and we go over to the living room to get ‘acquainted’. 

“So, how do you two know each other?” Sung Joon asks Soo Hyuk and I. 

“We met at a fashion event in London a while back. Long before Jae debuted.” Soo Hyuk says, not even missing a beat. “We’ve kept in touch since then but it’s been a while since I last saw her.”

“Hello?! We’re here too you know?” Young Kwang says from his position on the couch. 

“Oh right. Guys this is my wife, Jae. Jae this is Young Kwang hyung, Jong Hyun hyung, and Woo Bin hyung.” Sung Joon says as we all bow to each other again.

“What about me?” Soo Hyuk asks. 

“You two know each other already.” Sung Joon says, turning away from him. 

“I’m a big fan of all of you.” I say, gushing a little. I see the very subtle look in their eyes as they try their best to not start laughing at my acting. 

“I’m your fan too!” Young Kwang says holding his hand out for a high-five. I reach out and lightly tap his hand. 

“Ah! I’ve prepared dinner. Come and eat.” I say, jumping up and leading the way to the dining table. 

“You really didn’t have to.” Woo Bin says and I shake my head. 

“Can’t have guests over and not feed them.” I say. 

“She’s great isn’t she?” Sung Joon says, nudging Woo Bin as they make their way over. Woo Bin scoffs at him and quickens his pace to sit down at the table. 

“Did you cook all of this?” Jong Hyun says and I nod. “Wow. Sung Joon-ah, you got lucky with this one.” 

“You hear that?” I say to Sung Joon and he winks at me. “He was doubting my cooking skills earlier.”

“Jae is a great cook though.” Soo Hyuk says as we start to eat. I send him a look and he sends a subtle wink in my direction. I have to suppress my laughter and I can feel the tension steaming off Sung Joon’s body, beside me. 

“When have you tried her cooking, hyung?” he asks, eyeing the elder. Soo Hyuk shrugs. 

“That’s for me to know and for you to never find out.” he says, shrugging as he scoops another spoonful of rice into his mouth. I can practically feel Sung Joon fuming beside me. I lightly place my hand on his thigh under the table and he turns to look at me. I send him a reassuring smile and he calms down a little. 

Once we’re done eating and getting through all the small talk we migrate back to the living room. 

“We have presents!” Young Kwang says with his signature grin on his face. He pulls out a small bag that he had placed beside the couch when he came in and hands it to me. “Open it. Open it!” 

I open the bag and take out the contents inside. There are two boxes and after taking them out I hand one to Sung Joon to open. We both open it at the same time and look inside. I examine the bracelet that is set inside the cushion in the box and realise that there is an engraving on the inside of it. The one in the box I’m holding says “Property of Lee Jae.”. I stare at it for a second before Sung Joon takes it out of my hands. 

“I think this one is yours.” he says, laughing. “Right, hyung?” 

“If the one you’re holding says ‘Property of Bang Sung Joon’ then yes.” Now I laugh as well. 

“It’s beautiful Young Kwang-ssi. Thank you.” I say to him and he smiles back. 

“Please, just call us Oppa. No need to be so formal. But only if we can drop the formalities too.” he says, still grinning. I nod and he claps his hands together. 

“Now for my present.” Woo Bin says, handing over a big box. “Sung Joon-ah, maybe you should take this, it’s heavy.”

Sung Joon stands up and takes the box from him. He exaggeratedly staggers under the weight of the box and we all laugh at him. He sets the box down beside me and starts to rip off the wrapping. Sung Joon gasps as he reads the label in the box. 

“Hyung.” he breathes, before standing up and spreading his arms. Woo Bin stands up as well and meets Sung Joon midway in a man hug, complete with slaps on the back. “Thanks, hyung.” 

I look at the box and then back at the lovefest going on in the middle of the room. A clay model of the 4 original Pokemon, Pikachu, Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur. It’s huge. I kind of wish I can take it home instead of leaving it here. I’ve always been a fan, but I didn’t know that Sung Joon was too. 

“Jae-ssi, do you like it?” Woo Bin says when he realises I’m looking at them. I nod. 

“Of course I do, Woo Bin Oppa. Thank you. I’m thinking it can go by the window.” I say, skeptically. 

“We should put it by the door where everyone can see it.” Sung Joon says as he makes his way back to the box to eye it excitedly. 

“Yeobo, people would see it even if it’s by the window.” I say. He shrugs. I hear a chuckling beside me and I look at Jong Hyun, eyebrow raised. He nudges Soo Hyuk and leans in towards him. 

“She called him ‘Yeobo’.” he says, loud enough for us to hear. We all turn to laugh at him and his face reddens at the attention. “My turn.” 

He hands us each a package. Mine is wrapped in pink and Sung Joon’s in blue. 

“If this is a couple tee, I swear to god hyung I will hurt you.” Sung Joon says, glaring at his friend. I chuckle at him and open my package. I start laughing. 

“Even better Yeobo. They’re couple pyjamas.” I say, still laughing. I see the colour drain from his face as he opens his own. He groans when he sees the childish pattern and runs a hand through his hair. 

“Go try them on!” Young Kwang says excitedly. Sung Joon glares at him as I stand up. 

“Let’s go!” I say, pulling on Sung Joon’s arm. He turns his glare to me and I raise an eyebrow at him. “Are you glaring at me?” 

His expression automatically softens and the guys all giggle at his change in mood. He reluctantly gets up and we head in the direction of the bedroom. 

“Are you two changing in the same room?” Jong Hyun asks, a look of shock on his face. 

“I’m gonna change in the bathroom.” I say and he relaxes. 

We go into the room where there are no cameras and I feel arms wrap around my waist. 

“Baby,” Sung Joon breaths into my ear as he rests his chin on my shoulder. “Do I have to wear this?” 

“Yes you do. Now hurry and change, they’re waiting.” I say, twisting my way out of his grasp. Before I can get to far Sung Joon’s hands are on my hips as he turns me to face him and pulls me closer. He slouches a little to look at me and pouts. 

“Can I have a kiss first, then? Since I’m practically going to humiliate myself in a matter of minutes.” I laugh at his ‘dilemma’ before taking his face in my hands and reaching up on my toes to place a kiss on his lips. I pull away from him and pinch his cheeks. 

“There. Now change.” I lied to Jong Hyun when I said I’d be changing in the bathroom. We’ve got nothing to hide from each other so we quickly got changed into the pyjamas and as I’m straightening my shirt I hear Sung Joon groan. I turn to look at him and gasp. The shirts are plain but the pants have teddy bears printed all over them and Sung Joon being as tall as he is, the pants only just reach his ankles. Even in such childish prints he looks hot. Damn my former model of a boyfriend, he looks good in everything. I was actually looking forward to seeing him in somewhat embarrassing clothes. 

“I look stupid.” he says. I shake my head. 

“You look good. It’s actually kind of unfair how you can pull off all those looks.” I assure him. He covers his face in his hands and I go over to him and link my hands around his waist, looking up at him. “Maybe we should wear these the next time I sleep over at yours. You’re actually kind of y.” 

He peeks up at me from between his fingers, a smirk playing on his face. 

“You don’t look too bad yourself.” he says. I sigh and roll my eyes.

“I look like I’m twelve.” I say. He chuckles before leaning down to kiss me on the cheek. “Shall we head out now?” 

“It’s now or never.” he says, shrugging. He goes to the door and peeks out. I hear the guys rushing him to come out and looks back at me and smiles before opening the door fully. I step up and stand beside him. We both pose in the doorway while the guys applaud. 

We all break out in laughter as Sung Joon and I stop posing and make our way back to the others. 

“It looks good.” Jong Hyun says. 

“I feel like a fool.” Sung Joon says, shaking his head.

“That has nothing to do with your clothes.” Young Kwang says, earning laughter and high-fives from everyone. Sung Joon glares at him and I reach over and pat his back. 

“You’re not a fool yeobo.” I coo and he bends sideways to rest his head on my shoulder, pouting as he does so. The others see his actions and they all exclaim in disgust. 

“What a baby. Yah, what happened to the cool and charismatic Sung Joon?” Soo Hyuk asks. Sung Joon just shrugs and snuggles up to me a little more. I laugh as the others continue to mouth their dissatisfaction with the sight of us. In the midst of it all Soo Hyuk hands me a bag from beside him. “My present.” 

Sung Joon sits up and watches as I open it. I pull out a polaroid camera and boxes of film. I look up at Soo Hyuk and he just smiles. He nods towards the bag and I look inside again, finding a card. I take it out of its envelope and open it. 

Dear Jae and Sung Joon, 

Use this to record your memories together. I hope the two of you will always be happy. 

Sung Joon-ah, don’t hurt my Jae or I will definitely come after you. 

Jae, don’t be too hard on Sung Joon. He can be a tool sometimes but he’s also one of the kindest guys you will ever meet. 

Love always, Lee Soo Hyuk

 

I hand the card to Sung Joon so that he can read it as I get up and pull Soo Hyuk into a hug. 

“Thanks Oppa.” I say, letting the microphones pick up our interaction. He pats my back gently. 

“You’re welcome, Jae. Now let go of me before Sung Joon shoots me.” I laugh as I let him go and turn to look at Sung Joon who has lasers coming out of his eyes. I go over to him and pull him into a hug too, feeling him automatically relax in my arms. 

The rest of the night is spent playing games that the camera crew suggested and we suggest that the guys come out again some other time. By the end of the night we are absolutely knackered but the staff want to film an ‘aftermath’ section. After seeing the guys out we both make our way back to the living room and collapse on the couch. 

“You worked hard today, yeobo.” Sung Joon says, putting an arm around my shoulders. 

“You too.” I say, letting my head roll to face him. 

“You look tired.” I nod. “Go to bed then.” 

“I need to clean up.” he shakes my head before sitting up and lifting me up, one arm under my knees and the other on my back. He walks me into the room and I notice the cameras turn on in there. He places me gently on the bed and pulls the covers over me. 

“I’ll clean up. You sleep.” I smile up at him as he walk out of the room. I hear him scuffle around and I assume he actually is cleaning up for the cameras. I smile to myself as I let my eyes shut. Shortly after Sung Joon is shaking me awake and I realise the house is oddly quiet. “The staff have already left. Let’s go home.” 

I sit up and rub my eyes. “Everyone’s gone?” Sung Joon nods as he brushes a strand of hair out of my face. 

“They were going to wake you up while they were packing up but I told them to leave you alone. You’ve been appearing on a lot of other variety shows recently haven’t you?” I nod. 

“Do you have to go to your drama filming now?” he shakes his head. 

“Not today. But I do have to go out really early tomorrow, so let’s get going hmm?” He takes me by the hand and helps me to stand up. He grabs my coat and lays it over my shoulders before picking up my bag and clothes that I bought to the set that day. 

The ride home is quiet and before I even realise it we’ve arrived in the underground car park of my apartment building. Sung Joon hops out of the car after me. 

“You don’t have to come up.” I say to him. 

“Do you remember what happened the last time that happened?” he asks. I look down at my feet and nod. He chuckles and ruffles my hair. 

“Then, do you want to stay over tonight?” I ask, still looking down. 

“Really?” I nod. He reaches back into the car and pulls out a duffle bag. “Hyung, go home. Come pick me up from here nice and early.” 

He shuts the door and taps the car before it drives away. I eye him and his bag before raising an eyebrow and staring at him. 

“Did you know I was going to ask you to stay the night?” I say, crossing my arm. He shrugs. 

“A man can only hope.” He slings his arm over my shoulders and we make our way upstairs. “Besides, you’ve been staying at mine up till a few days ago, I didn’t think you’d be able to keep away from me.” 

“I didn’t even know I was going to ask you to stay over. But the set is closer to here than it is to yours, isn’t it?” he nods. “I have to go and start recording some songs for my next album tomorrow and I think seeing you in the morning will put me in the right mood to sing.” 

Sung Joon lets out a sigh and pulls me closer as the elevator doors open. “Since when were you Miss Romantic?” he asks. 

“I was always romantic thank you very much.” I say as I open the door. 

I let the door swing open and gasp at the site in front of me. Everything is the same as it was before except now there is a trail of candles and a pathway of roses that lead firstly, to the kitchen and secondly to the bedroom. I turn to Sung Joon who is leaning on the wall beside my door with a smug grin on his face. 

“Did you do this?” I ask. He nods and moves behind me to wrap his arms around my waist. He leads me forward and shuts the door behind us. 

“You’re not the only romantic one in the relationship.” he says in my ear, leaning further down to place a kiss on my neck. He lets me go and walks ahead, taking my hand in his. “First, dinner.”

“Seriously, Oppa? We just had a feast with the guys.” I say. 

“Don’t worry. It’s not a lot. It’s more like supper, considering the time.” he says, shrugging. He looks so adorable. He pulls out the dining table chair and I sit down. He sits across from me and we start to eat. It really isn’t a lot. Just a simple pasta salad. Once we’re done Sung Joon checks his watch and I do the same. It’s almost midnight. He takes the dishes to the sink and then makes his way back to me. 

“Bed?” I nod. He takes my hand and we go into my bedroom. As expected there are rose petals on the bed in the shape of a love heart. I can’t help but giggle at the sight of it. “What?” 

“For a second there I thought we were in a hotel room for our honeymoon.” I say, reaching out to hug Sung Joon around his waist. 

“We can totally make it a honeymoon.” he says as he reaches down and literally sweeps me off my feet. I yelp as I grip my arms around his neck and shoulders to balance myself. He walks over to the bed and gently places me on it. He takes my hand and places a kiss on my fingers and then trails up my arm, to my shoulder and then up my neck and finally my lips. 

I run my fingers in his hair and pull him closer. He makes himself comfortable as he hovers over me, one hand on my waist and the other cupping my face. He pulls away and leans up to kiss my nose and then the space between my eyes and then my forehead. 

“I love you, Jae.” he whispers as he kisses my lips again. His tongue swipes my bottom lip and I instinctively open my mouth, allowing him to find his way to my own. As things start to heat up, clothes start to disappear. I quickly pull away, panting and Sung Joon looks at me, desire in his eyes mixed with a little confusion. 

“We can’t.” I say, still trying to even out my breath. 

“Why?” Sung Joon says, going down to nuzzle my neck and collar bones. 

“We have to wake up early tomorrow, Oppa.” he chuckles not stopping what he was doing. “Oppa, seriously.” 

“It’ll be fine. I’ll make sure we wake up on time.” he says, kissing and nibbling just below my collarbone. I decide to give in and let him do what he wants so I put my hands on either side of his face and pull him up to kiss him again.

 

 

A/N: Another super late update and I'm sorry! I seriously need to work out my time management skills but things are going to hectic up until November methinks so please bear with me. I will do my best to get this fic updated as quickly as possible. I was thinking of what else I have to do in this fic and there's the wedding photoshoot plus the actual wedding ceremony plus the world finding out about their relationship plus maybe a scandal or two. So basically, I have no idea how much longer until this ends. But to my few subscribers, thank you for being patient with me and I really hope I can make this troy worth your time. 

Much love to you all, always!

xox