Chapter 17

Closing the Distance

Sung Joon steps forward and tries to open the door. It’s locked. He looks at me and I step forward. My hand trembles as I enter the passcode in the door. I step back as it unlocks and Sung Joon takes the lead again. He opens the door and walks in. I walk behind him, now gripping the edge of his shirt with two hands. As we enter I can already tell something is off. We get to the living room and things are a mess. The cushions from the couch are all over the place. The TV cabinet drawers are opened and the contents spilling. I turn to look into the kitchen and it’s a similar scene. We slowly make our way towards the bedrooms. Both bedroom doors are open, which is odd because my manager and I always close our bedroom doors when we leave them. Always. Because our rooms are across from each other Sung Joon and I only need to stand in the hallway and turn our heads to see that both our bedrooms are trashed too. 

Sung Joon takes me to the living room and makes me stand by the window. He tells me to wait and he disappears into the bedrooms. When he finally comes back out he seems a bit more relaxed. 

“There’s no one here.” he says and I let out a breath. “But who the hell would do this?” I shake my head and look around as Sung Joon takes out his phone. 

He goes into the kitchen and I can hear him reporting the break in. I look at my phone and try to call my manager again.

“Hello?”

“Oppa?”

“Jae. Sorry I couldn’t pick you up today. I got a call from Busan and had to drive down here to help out my family. Is everything okay?”

“N-No.” I burst into tears.

“Jae-ya? Jae? What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Sung Joon returns from the kitchen and takes the phone out of my hands. He puts an arm around me before speaking into the phone. 

“Hyung, it’s me, Sung Joon. Somebody broke into the house. 

Yeah she’s fine. Just shaken up that’s all. I’ll take her to my place until the police can figure out what happened here. 

Yep. Okay. I’ll call you again. Bye hyung.”

Sung Joon turns around to swing his other arm around me. He rubs my back until I calm down. When I settle down there’s a knock at the door. Sung Joon goes to open it and it’s the police. I stand in the same spot as the police go around the house, checking everything. Sung Joon explains everything to them and they leave me alone. 

Some time after the police are gone and Sung Joon is back at my side, this time with one of my bags in his hand. 

“Let’s go.” he takes my hand and leads me out of the house. I don’t say anything as I get in his car and he drives towards his house. We arrive and he comes around to open the car door for me. When I don’t move he takes my hand and pulls me out. I trail behind him as he leads the way to his apartment. We get to his house and he sits me down on his couch. He disappears somewhere and returns with a glass of water. 

“Here, have some water.” he holds the glass out to me but I don’t take it. Just staring straight ahead. He sighs and the sits beside me. He holds the cup up to my lips and the coldness of the glass snaps me out of my trance. I look at Sung Joon apologetically and take the glass from him. I gulp down half the glass before putting it down on the table in front of me. 

“Where are we?” I say looking around and realising I’m in unfamiliar surroundings. 

“My house. You can stay here until the police are done investigating.”

I stand up and start to look around. There are pictures of him with Soo Hyuk and the others hanging on his wall. There’s a shot from when they were filming White Christmas and Woo Bin had red hair. 

Sung Joon comes up behind me and takes my hand. 

“Come. I’ll show you around.”

He quickly shows me the kitchen and on the way to the bedrooms he picks up my bag. We reach the first room and he opens the door to reveal a big almost empty room. There are his drama posters hanging on the wall and a big bed in the middle of the room. He leads me in and places the bag on the bed. 

“This is the room you’ll be using while you’re here. It’s the guest room. Sometimes the guys sleep in here when they stay over.” I nod as he pulls me out and towards the other room that’s down the hall. He opens the door and the room is similarly set up but more decorated. There are photos on the wall and I recognise some of them from our time in London. He lets go of my hand as I walk around to look at the pictures. There are pictures of his family and some from when he was a younger. I walk to the bedside table and I see a familiar photo in a small frame. It’s a photo from my debut mini album. I pick it up and look at it before turning to look at him, still standing near the door. His head is down and he’s looking at the floor, hands fiddling in front of him. I smile before putting the picture back down and moving towards his stereo. I look through his collection of CDs and notice that my mini albums are on their own shelf - and one of them is signed. 

“How did you get this?” Sung Joon looks up and smiles as he walks over.

“I got my manager to go to your fan signing event and get it.” I laugh and he laughs with me. I leave the room, Sung Joon following behind me. I go into the kitchen and open the fridge.

“Sorry, I don’t have a lot. Are you hungry? Should we order something?”

“I was actually going to cook for you. But you really do have nothing.” He chuckles and takes out his phone. 

“What do you feel like?” 

“Anything. Why don’t we invite the others over as well? I could do with a night of laughs.” Sung Joon nods and he makes a call. After he hangs up he plays on his phone a bit before putting it back in his pocket. 

We both go into the living room and turn the TV on. “Do you want me to make you some tea?” Sung Joon asks. 

“That would actually be great, thanks.” I say. He gets up and goes into the kitchen while I stare at the TV, not really taking in what’s showing. 

Sung Joon returns and places a mug in front of me. He takes a blanket off the back of the couch and lays it out on my knees. I smile at him and he takes his place beside me. I pick up the tea and hold it in my lap, keeping my hands warm. 

“Ah. Why did you call me earlier?” I had the sudden realisation that if Sung Joon hadn’t called me earlier things could have been very different at this moment. 

“Oh. I wanted to see if you got home okay. Or if you maybe went somewhere else with Soo Hyuk hyung.” his eyes shift as he says the last part and can’t help but find his jealousy cute. I ruffle his hair and laugh, making him loosen up a little bit. 

The doorbell rings and the food has arrived. As I help Sung Joon lay the food out the door bell rings again, this time it’s Young Kwang and Jong Hyun. Woo Bin and Soo Hyuk arrive shortly after. 

“So, what’s going on with you two?” Woo Bin asks while we’re eating, eyeing Sung Joon and I. I feel myself start to blush. 

“Us? Nothing. What makes you think something is going on?” I say to him, shifting away from Sung Joon slightly as I speak. 

“Then, no offense but why are you here? I thought Sung Joon was having a hard time after filming WGM again and that’s why he called us over.”

“I’m actually curious too.” Soo Hyuk looks at his watch, “Just 4 hours ago I dropped you off at your place and now you’re here.”

“Well, that’s uhh -” I begin. But Sung Joon cuts me off.

“About that, hyung. How could you just drop her off and leave?” 

“Huh? I saw the look on your face when we left together and I figured you wouldn’t like it if I hung around. Why?” Soo Hyuk says, shrugging it off. 

“Someone broke into her house.” Everyone freezes and turns to look at me.

“Oh my god. Jae, are you okay? I knew I should have walked you up.” Soo Hyuk reaches his hand out and pats my knee. I smile at him and shake my head.

“It’s okay, Oppa. You didn’t know. If Sung Joon Oppa hadn’t called me when he did I don’t know what would have happened.”

“What did the police say?” Young Kwang asks Sung Joon. 

“Nothing much. They’ll let us know when they find something.” 

We continue eating and talking and not long after Soo Hyuk stands up to leave. Jong Hyun jumps up and leaves with him. Woo Bin follows them out as Mr. Top Star has a packed schedule the next day. Sung Joon starts to clear the living room and I go into the kitchen to do the dishes. Young Kwang comes in and drops some more in the sink, before turning around to lean on the bench, arms crossed.

“So what’s the go, kiddo?” I don’t look at him but continue scrubbing the plate in my hand. 

“What do you mean?”

“Are you giving Sung Joon another shot or what?” I stop what I’m doing and look up at him. “Come on, Jae. You have to admit he’s trying pretty hard.”

“I don’t know yet.” I look away from him and continue what I’m doing. 

“I think you should think about it. I know for a fact that he won’t make the same mistakes again. You never know, with you guys on WGM maybe you can just openly date. I’m sure the fans would love it.” I look up at him again and he winks. He ruffles my hair and straightens up. “I’m gonna get going. Make sure you think about what I said, Kiddo. Goodnight.” 

“Goodnight, Oppa. Drive safe.” I smile at him as he leaves. I hear him saying his goodbyes to Sung Joon and then he’s gone. The house is quiet now and I continue to wash the dishes. 

“Thanks. You could have just left them, I would have done them later.” I jump at the sound of Sung Joon’s voice, unaware that he had joined me in the kitchen.

“Jeepers, Oppa. You scared me.” I hear him laugh.

“Sorry.” I finish up rinsing the last few dishes and turn the tap off, drying my hands on a tea towel. I look at Sung Joon and he’s staring at me. I raise an eyebrow as if to ask him what he’s looking at and he smiles. “I could get used to this.” 

“Get used to what?” I ask. 

“Nothing.” Sung Joon turns around, still with that smile on his face.

 

A/N: I'm so sorry I haven't been updating. I've been busy with my GOT7 fics and almost completely forgot about this one. I will do my best to update this one again soon though. Just for my 12 subscribers. 

I was at a bit of a dead end with this story but after being away from it for so long I've got a fresh new insight to it. 

Sorry again, but I hope you guys can bear with me a little bit :)

xoxo