Chapter 19

Closing the Distance

A couple of weeks go by and we make it through our WGM filming each week like professionals. We ‘move in’ to our newlywed house and pretend to be awkward with each other as if we’re living together for the first time even though I haven’t gone back to my house once in the last two weeks since it was broken into. Security cameras found that it may have just been one of those sasaeng fans that really popular idols have. I’m kind of glad that I only have one of them unlike the hords of girls that stalk those boy groups. Sung Joon is reluctant to send me home but one day I decide it’s about time I moved back home. 

“Babe, do you have to?” Sung Joon pouts for the millionth time today. I’m packing my bags while he sits on the bed beside my bag. I’m not getting anywhere because every time I put something in my bag, Sung Joon takes it out again. 

“Oppa, stop it. It’s not like I’m moving back to Australia. I’m going two neighbourhoods over.” I say, huffing as I repack the things Sung Joon has taken out of my bag. 

“But I like living with you.” he says, still pouting. He bats his eyes at me and I sigh. I plop myself into his lap and place my arm along his shoulder and place my other hand on his cheek.

“You’re forgetting that we’re both celebrities. If word gets out or we get caught what are we going to do?” I say to him. 

“We’ll admit to it. The fans love us. They want us to be real. We have a SungJae fan club.” he says, putting his arms around my waist. He’s right. After 3 episodes had aired a fan club was formed and a majority of the fans want us to become a real life couple. 

“Oppa, even if we do admit to it I don’t think it would look good for us to be living together.” I explain to him. He pouts, again.

“Fine.” I pat his cheek and climb off his lap, continuing to pack. “Can you at least stay one more night here?” 

I sigh. “You do know I was going to move back tomorrow and not tonight, right?” 

“Really?” His eyes light up like a little kid who’s been told that he’s allowed to have ice cream. I roll my eyes. 

“You don’t even listen to me anymore.” I grumble. He stands up and pulls me into a hug. 

“Did you say something?” he says, laughing. I playfully hit his arm before hugging him back. 

An hour later I come out of the room and find Soo Hyuk and the others in the living room, lounging around as if they were always there. 

“When did all of you get here?” I ask. They all just look up at me and shrug in sync. I look over at Sung Joon and he shrugs too. I glare at him and he caves. 

“I called them over to celebrate you moving back home.” he says, rubbing his nape. 

“Celebrating? I thought you didn’t want me to go back?” I ask, making my way over to him and sitting on the arm rest beside him. I put an arm around his shoulders and he slings an arm around my waist. 

“I don’t but you won’t listen to me, will you?” he says, smiling up at me. Even with me sitting a level higher than him we’re about the same height. 

“Too right, my dear.” I say, ruffling his hair. 

“Will you two please stop that?” Jong Hyun says, rolling his eyes. “I bet you called us over so that you can show off the fact you have a girlfriend and we’re all single, right?” 

“How’d you know?” Sung Joon jokes, earning 3 cushions to his face. 

“I hope you guys put those back in their places because I am not cleaning up after you guys again.” I warn and they all reach out to take their cushions back. “Ah, you guys are coming on WGM this week right?”

The others nod, eyes glued to the TV. 

“So, it’s only Soo Hyuk hyung who will know Jae from before her debut, right?” Sung Joon asks and they all nod again. “Are you guys even listening?”

They all nod again as if on repeat. Sung Joon looks at me and we both sigh. They’ll ask us again on the day. I just know it. 

I go into the kitchen to get some snacks ready when Soo Hyuk comes in and joins me. 

“You look happier these days, Jae.” he says, leaning on the counter beside me. I nod. 

“I am happier these days.” 

“That’s good. I hope you guys don’t fight anymore. Ever.” he says and I look up at him. “You’re both my friends so it’s a bit hard for me to be in the middle of it all. Not that I’m not happy to help but it’s difficult being the middle man.” 

“I know Oppa, and I’m sorry.” I say, sighing. “I’m sorry for dumping all our drama onto you. I’m forever grateful to you. I hope you know that. If you ever need my help with anything, anything at all I’m here for you.” 

“I like to think we’re like siblings. Is it okay to think that?” he asks, shyly. It’s a new look on him but I think I like it. I stop what I’m doing and wrap my arms around his waist. 

“Of course, Oppa. You’ve always been a brother to me. If I had a real brother I wish he’d be just like you.” He hugs me back but quickly lets go when we hear someone clearing their throat behind us. I turn around and find Sung Joon leaning in the doorway. 

“Care to tell me why you’re hugging my girlfriend, hyung?” he asks. He doesn’t sound or look angry. But it doesn’t mean he’s not jealous. 

“We’re having a sibling moment here. Can you not ruin it please?” Soo Hyuk says. 

“A sibling moment?” he asks, looking more confused than ever. Soo Hyuk and I laugh at him before I turn back to continue preparing snacks for them. “Never mind Sung Joon-ah. Let’s go.”

The two leave the kitchen and shortly after I follow them. The night is filled with laughs and small talk before the guys head home. 

That night as Sung Joon and I lie in bed cuddling Sung Joon voices his concerns.

“Jae?” 

“Hmm?” I hum, drawing patterns into his abdomen. 

“Babe?” I lay my hand on his chest and tilt my head up, resting my chin on my hand. 

“What’s wrong, Oppa?” I ask him. He doesn’t look at me but continues staring at the ceiling. 

“Do you like Soo Hyuk hyung?” he asks. 

“What?” I don’t know if I should be annoyed or guilty. Honestly, I’m a little annoyed that even after all this time he’s still jealous of his best friend. I sit up, sighing frustratedly. He sits up too, running a hand through his hair. 

“Are you jealous of my relationship with Soo Hyuk Oppa?” I ask. He nods, still not looking at me. “I’ve already told you that we’re just close friends. That moment you saw in the kitchen? I had just told him that if I had a real brother I wish he would be like him. We both agree that we’re nothing but a brother and a sister to each other.” 

Sung Joon still doesn’t look at me but nods, staring at the mattress now. 

“Oppa, don’t you trust me?” I ask, genuinely upset now. He finally looks up at me and I see his eyes flicker when he realises I’m on the verge of tears. 

“I didn’t mean that. Of course I trust you. It’s just that...” he struggles to continue his sentence. 

“It’s just that you don’t trust me.” I say. He quickly grabs my hands, holding them tightly in his. 

“No, baby. Don’t say that.” he pleads. 

“Then you don’t trust Soo Hyuk Oppa?” I ask. He shakes his head again. 

“I lost you once before and the person who was there for you then was Soo Hyuk hyung. I don’t want to lose you again because if I do, you might end up going to him and I won’t be able to bear seeing you with him. I don’t think I can bear to see you with anyone honestly.” he says. I put my hands on either side of his face and make him look at me properly. 

“I love you, Oppa. You. Not Soo Hyuk Oppa. Not Young Kwang Oppa. But you. Yeah, we’ve been through a lot. But the amount of time I spent without you was the worst time of my life. I have you back now. You’re right in front of me. Why would I let that go?” I say, letting a tear fall down my cheek. I let go of his face and wipe it away. I go to get off the bed but Sung Joon stops me by grabbing my wrist. 

“Where are you going?” he asks. He sounds scared. 

“I just need a moment. I’ll be right back.” I say, turning to him and giving him a small smile. I pull my wrist out of his grasp and walk out of the room. I go into the guest room and lie down. I don’t like the fact that Sung Joon is being so insecure about our relationship. If he has doubts every time I get close to a friend, how can I trust him to trust me and our relationship. I don’t think I can lose him again and I start to cry just at the thought of it. I hate the fact that I’m just as insecure as he is. I can’t keep crying over ‘what ifs’. I need to take charge of my life and make sure our relationship works no matter what. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep this relationship going. I just hope that there aren’t too many obstacles in our way. 

I hear the door open but I don’t look up. 

“Jae?” My back is to the door and I hear Sung Joon walk in. I assume he’s going to sit on the bed beside me but instead he comes around to my side and kneels in front of me. He sees that I’ve been crying and I go to turn around, wiping at my face. He stops me from turning and wipes my face for me. He places a kiss on my lips and leans his forehead against mine. “I’m sorry, baby. Please don’t cry.” He whispers. 

We’re both silent as I calm myself down. Sung Joon just my hair soothingly until I stop crying. 

“Will you come to bed? Please.” he asks once I’ve stopped. I nod. He stands up and I follow him. He goes to lead the way out when I wrap my arms around his waist, hugging him from behind. 

“I’m sorry, Oppa. I’ll do better. I’ll be a better girlfriend from now on. Just promise me you won’t give up on me.” I say, trying to hold back more tears that are threatening to come out. Sung Joon turns around and leans down to look me in the eyes. 

“You’re perfect, baby. I was just being stupid and jealous. I love you.” he says, kissing my forehead as he stands up. He takes my hand in his and pulls me back into the bedroom. We both climb into bed and lay down with our backs to each other. 

For such a big bed with two people in it, I feel eerily cold. Right before I fall asleep I feel Sung Joon shift followed by warm arms wrapping around my waist and pulling me closer to the middle of the bed. I feel Sung Joon’s chest on my back and I sigh with relief. I turn around too and wrap my arms around him. My head is tucked under his chin and I look up, placing a kiss on it. 

“Goodnight, Oppa. I love you.” I say and I see the corners of his lips curl up. 

 

A/N: So... busting out 3 chapters didn't work. I barely got this one out and I have about half of the next one ready. I have no idea when I will update this one next but hopefully I won't keep you waiting too long :)

Much love to my readers! 

xoxo