Chapter 1

Closing the Distance

I remember when we first met. I was on holiday in London and I recognised him sitting with his friends. He was the stunningly handsome Sung Joon, and with him were his equally stunning friends - Lee Soo-Hyuk, Hong Jong-Hyun and Kim Young-Kwang. I tried not to make it too obvious that I recognised them but I couldn’t help it. My eyes kept falling onto Sung-Joon’s face and I scanned his features. From his jawline up to his eyes. I watched as he picked up his drink- the movement of his lips as he sipped from the cup. His fingers were long and my eyes traced the way from the tips of his fingers all the way up his forearm. I watched his adams apple move as he swallowed his drink. I pulled my eyes away and focused on the drink in front of me. I couldn’t even drink properly, becoming very self-conscious and almost paranoid. I felt like they were looking at me too. It was nerve-wracking. I contemplated leaving the cafe but I wasn’t confident that I wouldn’t trip in front of them and land on my face. 

It took me a while to realise that Lee Soo-Hyuk was walking in my direction. It was like time slowed down as he got closer and closer to me. I wasn’t sure what to do so I pretended to pay attention to my phone - as if I never saw him coming. 

“Excuse me,” his deep voice was mesmerising. I looked up and his deep eyes seemed to glisten in the dim light. 

“Yes?” I say, trying to keep my voice steady. 

“Me and my friends were wondering,” he started. 

Uh-oh. They saw me staring. I thought.

“Do you know who we are?”

I blushed. I looked around the cafe as if searching for an answer. I figured it would be better to tell the truth.  

I rub my hand over the back of my neck and chuckle awkwardly. 

“Ha. I guess you saw me staring huh?” I say.

“Yeah, kind of,” he laughs.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to. I mean, I tried not to but it’s a bit hard to keep your cool when you see celebrities you like in real life.” I say.

“That’s okay. We didn’t think we’d find a fan so far away from Korea. Would you like to join us?” 

I didn’t expect that. 

“Really? Is that even allowed?” I say.

He chuckles. “Of course it is. We’re the ones asking.” 

I look at him and then around him to the expectant faces of his friends. I make eye contact with Sung-Joon. He has a serious look on his face as if he thought it was a bad idea. He looks away. 

“Shall we?” Soo-Hyuk’s voice snaps my attention back to him still standing in front of me, now with his hand held out. 

“O-Okay.” I say as I pick up my bag with one hand and take his hand with the other. We walk hand in hand to his table and he pulls out a seat for me. I sit down and slightly nod at everyone else at the table. 

“Hello. My name is Lee Jae. It really is an honour to meet all of you.”

“Hi!” says Young-Kwang, holding out his hand. “Do you know who we all are? Or do we have to introduce ourselves too?”

“Yeah.” I reply, shaking his hand. “You’re Kim Young-Kwang.” 

The guys respond with ‘ooohs’ amazed that I know him as he hasn’t been in many productions. 

“What about me?” says the smaller of the group, offering me his hand.

“Hong Jong-Hyun,” I reply, letting go of Young-Kwang’s hand and taking his.

“She’s good. I like her.” he says, causing the rest of them to laugh. He lets go of my hand. 

I continue to move my hand around the table. I hold it out to Sung-Joon, slightly more nervous than when greeting the others. 

“Bang Sung-Joon. Right?” I say, before he asks me. He stares me straight in the eyes as if trying to read my soul, not saying a word. My hand is uncomfortable in front of me. I close my hand and bring it back awkwardly. I look away and turn instead to Soo-Hyuk. 

“I’m assuming you know who I am, considering you followed me here.” he says, trying to change the mood.

“Right. Lee Soo-Hyuk. Actor and model.” I say, “Right?”

“Spot on!” he says.

“I’m a fan of all of you.” I say to them.

“Really? Or are you just saying that cos you’re sitting with us right now?” says Young-Kwang.

“No! Really! I am. I watched the drama that you all did together - White Christmas. I loved it.” I say, frantically. 

Young-Kwang pats me on the head. “It’s fine, kiddo. I was just messing with you.” 

“Ah.” Is all I can say, still buzzing at the fact that Kim Young-Kwang touched me. I was on the verge of fangirling like crazy but stopped myself in case they ditched me. I mean, it’s not everyday 4 of South Koreas hottest actors ask you to hang out. 

“So where are you from?” Asks Soo Hyuk. 

“Australia” I reply. That earns a couple of wow’s around the table.

I realise that Sung-Joon still hasn’t said a word so I look at him. He is still staring at me. I look around at the others and they realise I’m uncomfortable.

“Yah! Sung Joon-ah, you’re gonna scare her away. Relax a little will you?” Young-Kwang says.

“Hyung.” Jong Hyun says, touching his shoulder. 

Sung Joon snaps back to reality, turning to look at Jong-Hyun. “Oh? Sorry.” he says, looking around the table. He holds his hand out to me. “Sorry Jae-ssi. It’s nice to meet you.”

I shake his hand. His hands are warm and memorise the feel of it in mine. He lets go and I feel a bit sad. That’s when I realise, I feel way too much for this guy. 

We spend the rest of the day getting to know each other and then sight-seeing together. Taking pictures and laughing at everything and nothing. They were all great, except Sung-Joon. I don’t know why but it was either that he didn’t like me or I had something on my face the whole time because I always caught him looking at me. He hardly spoke to me and hardly ever joined in the conversation. I did see him talking to the others sometimes. But it seemed like they were arguing about something. I figured he didn’t like the fact they had invited me out and was trying to get them to send me away. 

When it was time for me to head back to my hotel Soo-Hyuk, Jong-Hyun and Young-Kwang each gave me their numbers so that we could hang out again before they left for Seoul. We said our goodbyes and as I was about to leave a hand grabbed my elbow. I turned around to find Sung-Joon standing there holding my arm and looking at the floor. 

“I’ll walk you.” he says as he lets go of my arm.