My Dear Canary

Silent Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was brought in, part of the concubines, the only male in the cacophony.

 

News about him spread throughout the palace, and they all know of him, an odd selection, like a chicken amongst long tailed parrots.

 

They were all young and beautiful, poised and well-mannered, trained to befit a palace concubine who could please the Emperor, unlike him.

 

He's just a boy, a lost soul. It was by order that he entered the palace, as what he did not know, but he learned as the days passed by. 

 

They dressed him in the royal riches and kept him in beautiful palace walls. He looked out his window, beyond the exquisite garden surrounding his cage and found a bustle of young girls strolling in their embroidered clothings and grand hair accesories. 

 

That was their life, to fight for the Emperor's attention and live a pampered life forever.

 

Daehyun looked down at his hands covered by the most expensive silks.

 

Maybe, this was also his life.

 

He heard news of the Emperor's call for each girl's visit and was at the same time, relieved it was not his turn and also worried that he was not summoned.

 

Was his entering of the palace a mistake? Was he not enough of a joke for the palace?

 

Daehyun believed strongly that it was all a mistake beginning from his into the palace. He lived one of the most expensive lives within this four walls, pampered and spoiled in the most exquisite clothes and tasteful delicacies, yet, he's happier when he was just a boy seeking a living on the streets. 

 

He was hungry but free. All the most delicious food in the palace could not satisfy his hunger for freedom. He longed to be himself again, not a mimicry of another of a palace concubine thirsty and desperate for the Emperor's doting to survive.

 

Weeks passed by. Just when Daehyun thought the Emperor had forgotten about him-- did the Emperor even know of his existence?-- he was summoned.

 

That fateful, nerve-wrecking night where he was summoned into the Emperor's quarters.

 

The other young girls residing near him came out to stare. He watched as they gossiped and murmurred. Some stared at him with disbelief and disgust. Some were laughing in ridicule. Some glared at him as if he was truly a competition for the Emperor's attention.

 

Daehyun scoffed inwardly. He had learned not to show his emotions, especially those of disregard in the palace. Any wrong move could put your head under the blade of death. He had learned to be cautious, living his life on his tiptoes, huddled up and depressed in his own shell of isolation.

 

He entered the building, everything else grander than he had seen. He stared in disbelief at the lavishness and was urged by the eunuch to quicken his steps. He obeyed quickly, afraid and nervous. He sat down by the table, unlike rumours of how concubines were summoned into the Emperor's room. He was relieved that was not his case.

 

He heard a noise, a sound of the door and footsteps. He lowered his head immediately, heart pounding loudly between his ears. The Emperor.

 

His ruler stood behind him, unable to be seen. His mind and his heart raced. What does the Emperor look like? Is he old? Does he have a long beard? Is he kind? Or is he fierce and solemn?

 

Daehyun's thoughts were entangled until he took a seat beside him.

 

He smiled gently and raised the tea cup to Daehyun.

 

Shocked, Daehyun shakily knelt and showed his respects to the Emperor. It was his first time greeting the Emperor. He did a sloppy job.

 

He heard the Emperor chuckle lightly and received permission to rise.

 

The Emperor was not old, neither was he bearded.

 

He was young, but a few good years older than Daehyun. He smiled amiably and spoke little. 

 

Daehyun did not do any of those duties which the eunuchs or maids spoke to him about. He merely drank tea and told the Emperor stories about the world outside, the world he used to belong to.

 

The emperor did not treat him like a concubine, but a hired com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter