The Sound of Waves

Silent Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fantasy/

 

 

The clouds were dark but silent on the day they met. The wind was blowing in his ears and the waves were crashing like a distant cry. All he heard was the sound of the sea when he saw the strange sight washed up on the sandy shore.

 

Yongguk took the boy home, a place with the smell of the sea outside his window. The boy awoke and spoke no words. He only watched with inquisitive eyes. He did not know where he came from and who he was. Yongguk could only let him stay.

 

Washed up on shore and with nowhere to go, the boy became part of Yongguk's crew, serving visitors in the small restaurant beside the sea. Yongguk gave the boy a name. His name was Daehyun. Daehyun did not know how to speak and Yongguk wasn't a talker. They sat on the sand and Yongguk played his guitar, watching the waves gliding across the horizon like a silent movie. Every time they did so, Daehyun would sit with his hands on his knees and his eyes seem to see something Yongguk could not in the sea's vastness.

 

One night, Yongguk felt the strong currents of the sea curling around his limbs as they dragged him down towards the dark twillights. He was engulfed and paralysed by the silence of the waters, and he began to panic when his breathe was running out. But there was a sudden light and he opened his eyes to find himself on his bed, hands patting down his dry and unharmed body. An abrupt cry of thunder frightened him as he turned towards the blinding light outside his window.

 

The wind was threatening to overturn everything and the rain was a crashing torrent-- there was a storm outside. Another flash pierced through the window and Yongguk ducked away from the light. It was a frightening sight outside. Yongguk marvelled over the power of nature and feared at the same time as he stepped towards the window for a better look. Through the downpour, he spotted a figure in the rain. He squinted his eyes and felt his heart lurch.

 

The sea was not in a good mood. Yongguk could see the murky dark grey of the furious sea but Daehyun was standing before the crashing waves, almost about to be swallowed up into the currents.

 

Yongguk dashed out to the shore, searching through the hard wind and crashing rain, bare feet running on heavy sand as his heart thumped with trepidation, but when he stopped before the steep rocks, Daehyun was gone. He shouted Daehyun's name and only heard the sound of the enraged sea. He backed away slowly and worried for the boy who did not speak.

 

The next day when the skies have cleared, Yongguk found Daehyun in the restaurant, replacing the white flowers at the counter, looking like nothing had happened the night before. Yongguk didn't ask. He smiled but glanced back at Daehyun secretly.

 

Things started to turn peculiar very soon as the seas suddenly had no fish and the people could not carry out their daily lives. The small town that depended on the sea had no more fish and no more catch. The fishermen's nets were empty and the boats were unmoving. Business was a still and Yongguk sat outside his restaurant, the sea an eerie silence from afar.

 

People started speaking of the sea'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter