Can You See Me Now?

Silent Sails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am Jung Daehyun.

I died three years ago.

I was twenty-six and I've never aged since then.

My premature death left a couple of things uncompleted. My work, my dreams, my goals, my family, my friends.

I miss them. And I watched them cry for me. Watched my physical self disappear marked the end of my life and my mom cried the hardest.

Three years have passed since I've taken my leave from the world, but hey, I'm still here.

 

I wonder why.

 

 

 

 

 

There's somebody who misses me quite a lot. I've watched him since the first day I died. And his love for me can probably contest that of my family.

It's strange and a little maddening.

Why didn't he tell me while I was still alive?

Yongguk hyung. I whisper in his ear for the umpteenth time and he can't hear me.

I watch him do everything. He's a boring man. He sits at his desk writing his lyrics and music for the whole day. He goes out and plays basketball sometimes.

Sometimes, when he's with the rest, somebody mentions me casually and they sink into some sort of sickening silence which I hate. Himchan would break the silence awkwardly and I would scoff. But at least he does.

People like Yongguk mellow silently and it irks me.

 

But still, I like to follow him around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

One day, I realise that I could enter Yongguk's dreams if I lay beside him while he's sleeping. 

He's running on a stage when I interrupted. He sees me and smiles brightly.

Daehyun, he says, how are you?

I say, I'm fine. How are you?

He smiles. I miss you, he says.

I tell him, I know. I've been watching you. Why didn't you tell me when I was still living?

His smile disappears and he becomes quiet.

I'm dead, Yongguk hyung. I'm a ghost. I entered your dream to talk to you. But you can't see me in real life. 

I tell him the truth and he looks surprised.

Then, he wakes up and I bounce out of him abruptly. I lay beside him, watching him as he stares into the dark, looking overwhelmed by the conversation we had.

He must be thinking it's just a dream, a certain conversation in some corner of his mind he'd love to have. But no, it's real. And I'm a ghost that will haunt him for as long as I want now!

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, every night, I go into Yongguk's dream and talk to him. Sometimes, I remind him about the fact that I am a ghost watching his every move. He stops getting surprised anymore so we could actually talk more. 

He's opening up a lot more and he loves to smile at me. It's pretty nice, I guess. I think we're less awkward after I'm a dead man. How funny is that. He's probably more entertaining to a dead person, hahaha. How funny. If only Youngjae could hear my joke.

Yongguk keeps our conversation to ourselves. He never tells the others how he's dreamt of me all this while and talked like I was still alive.

I think he's still in the stage where he believes I'm just an imagined form from his brain.

One night, I decide to make it clear to him that we would have worked out if he tol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter