Chapter 9

What happens when the world ends?

Everyone was sat around the huge mix and match dinner table tucking in to their freshly cooked kimchi rice. They were all chatting and laughing together. There was a real family atmosphere in the underground. All these different young people from different social groupings and standings with different dreams and passions came together when the times got rough and have formed unbreakable bonds with each other that will last as long as they all live. It was beautiful really.

 

Junhyung got up to go to the makeshift kitchen and refill the drinks jug from the table. To get to the ‘kitchen’ he had to walk past one of the empty sub way platforms which opened up to the tracks and tunnels each side. He walked past the platform just humming a little something to keep himself amused along the way. Then he heard a bark, as in a dog. He stopped for a minute and shook his head as if to clear it before listening again. He waited for a good minute and heard nothing then, when he was just about to carry on with his task of going to the kitchen to fill the jug, he heard it again, a bark. This time it was louder and clearer. Now he was sure that he wasn’t imagining it at all and that he really did hear it. There was the possibility that a dog had survived the bombs and had taken shelter in the underground. But there was also the possibility of other human survivors with their pet dog seeking refuge and looking for others in the tunnels. Junhyung thought for a moment and then ran back towards the dining room.

 

~ ... ~

 

“Should we take a trip down the tunnels and have a look?” Nichkhun suggested. Everyone was now discussing what to do about the whole ‘dog in the tunnel’ situation. 

“I think we should just try shouting first. If we can hear the dog it should be able to hear us too” Eli said. T.O.P though about both options and ran them through his mind, weighing the pros and cons for each of the options.

“I think we should go with Eli’s option. If we go down there and the dog is aggressive it may get scared and attack. Also if we shout to it then if we scare it will go back the way it came and stay away or If it is used to people it will come to us” T.O.P explained to the others. They all nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, and if there does happen to be anyone with it then they will hear us and shout back to us. I know it’s a long shot but so was finding Ilhoon and Dara when we went up top” Ravi said hopefully and again everyone nodded.

 

~ ... ~

 

“Hello? Hello, anybody there?” T.O.P shout while stood on the tracks facing the tunnel opening in the direction they heard the barking come from. “Hello?” He waited for a moment and then heard a faint shout back. He looked towards the others stood up on the platform and smiled. They had found other survivors.

“Hello? Are you okay? Is anyone injured? Do you need help?” T.O.P continued moving closer to the mouth of the tunnel in a hope to be able to hear the other person better. This time the shout was louder but he still couldn’t quite make out what they were saying. He thought for a moment.

“Ravi, Eli, Nichkhun, Junhyung, Chansung come with me. We’re going to go in the tunnels so that we can hear them. I have a feeling there is something up, like they’re stuck or something. If they could get closer then we would be able to hear them by now” T.O.P explained and the others nodded. “Eli and Ravi can you please go and find the torches and lanterns?” they nodded and went to do as asked. “Nichkhun and Chansung can you go and get any tools that we have, I have a felling we might need them?” again the guys nodded and then left for their task. “Sunny, can you rustle up and emergency medical kit for us, just in case they are injured?” with that sunny and Sooyoung made their way to the medical wing. 20 minutes later they had all met back up and then were ready to set off in to the dark tunnels.

“Be careful boys” Hyuna said as they made their way into the tunnel.

 

...   ...   ...