Chapter 4

What happens when the world ends?

The group of people going above ground were all gathered while T.O.P was going over the plan when there was a sudden gasp from behind them. Immediately they turned around to see what was wrong.

 

“Xiumin, there’s others. We’re not alone” a guy with medium length brown hair said to someone behind him that wasn’t yet in view. He had wide eyes, obviously surprised to find others. Moments later a man, presumably Xiumin, with short brown hair walked in carrying a huge box. He came to stand next to the first guy with wide eyes. He put the box down and then hugged who he was with.

“This is great, it’s not just us. This is ... wow” Xiumin said before gently wrapping an arm around the other man and pulling him over to the equally surprised group. “I’m Xiumin and this is Sungyeol. We came here as we thought it would be safer. We didn’t have much hope of finding anyone else alive but, wow, there are so many of you”

 

“Welcome. There are 28 of us living down here at the minute. We are on our way up now to fetch supplies to bring down and to scout for any more survivors. We think there might be people trapped under the debris like a few of the people here were. If so they will probably need medical attention so we want to bring them here to be treated” T.O.P greets the two newbies. While Xiumin and Sungyeol took all the information in Ravi noticed the box again.

“What’s with the box?” Ravi asked. Everyone turned to look at the box and Xiumin went to fetch it.

“My tortoise, Mango, is in there. Somehow he survived the blast and we saw him just walking about. I couldn’t bear to leave him so Xiumin found a box to put him in and carried him for me” Sungyeol said nonchalantly as if carrying a tortoise around, when nearly the whole human race was wiped out, is normal.

“Oh, I’ll be honest, that... I was not expecting” Ravi said looking a little dumfounded. “Why is he called Mango?”

“When I got him he was about the size of a mango and I thought it was cute so that’s what I named him” Sungyeol said, again in a tone which made it seem perfectly normal to own a tortoise called Mango.

“Wait, you treated injured people? Is there a doctor here then?” Xiumin asked having finally processed what T.O.P had said.

“Yes, Sunny is a doctor and her sister is really knowledgeable about medical stuff too” Eli said matter-of-factly

“Great, can you direct me to them so that I can ask them to give Sungyeol a check-up” Xiumin asked. At that moment, as T.O.P was about to ask why he needed a check-up and if he was okay, Sungyeol turned to the side to put his hand on Xiumin’s chest and say that a check-up was unnecessary. That was when it was the groups turn to gasp.

“Oh my, how did we not notice that?” Sungmin asked to no one in particular. Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Oh, did you not notice? I thought you had all seen and just left it to talk about later. He has been stood facing you the whole time though I suppose” Xiumin said, almost seeming like he was talking to himself. Sungyeol looked a little embarrassed now moving his hands to put them on his huge protruding belly as if trying to hide it. “He’s eight and a half months. I want him checked because of all the stress from the explosion, to make sure everything’s okay.  I know having a baby around in these circumstances will be difficult and we don’t want to burden you but can we join you down here?” Xiumin asked sincerely pulling Sungyeol close to him.

“Of course. You won’t be a burden. One of the other couples is currently expecting too but they are a lot less further along” T.O.P said. He liked how honest and genuine Xiumin and Sungyeol seemed. The new couple sighed in relief. “Welcome to the underground” T.O.P said before Xiumin thanked him.

“Eli, can you take these two to the medical wing please and Ravi can you take Mango to Hyuna. She’ll look after him while Sungyeol and Xiumin are busy. She loves tortoises, we used to have one but we lost it during the war” T.O.P said and Eli and Ravi both carried out their tasks before returning and joining the others to go up top.

 

...   ...   ...