Chapter 6

What happens when the world ends?

T.O.P and his expedition group were the last to return due to how far away they were and how long it took to convince the girl, whose name as Dara, to come back with them. They hadn’t managed to reach the underground until 8:45 meaning that they were pretty late. They got back to the entrance to the underground to find Bom, Sunny, Himchan and Luhan stood waiting with anxious faces.

“What are you doing up here? Your safer and warmer down there” Gongchan tells Sunny while grabbing her hand and pulling her into the tunnels. Chansung and Himchan just link hands and follow the previous two. U-kwon gave his boyfriend a sheepish look and apologised to which Luhan sighed, kissed him on the cheek and then pulled him down into the tunnels. 

“Where the hell have you been? I was worried sick. You said 8 o’clock. You’re 45 minutes late. You had better have a good reason” An angry Hyuna shouted to her boyfriend. He put his hands up in front of him in surrender.

“We found someone and we were trying to convince her to come with us. She wasn’t sure so it took us a while to get her to agree. I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to worry you” T.O.P said trying to convince his girlfriend that it wasn’t his fault. She stared him down for a moment before rolling her eyes and hugging him.

“Okay, I believe you. It just scared me, that’s all, especially when everyone else got back early” Hyuna admitted.  

“How did the others do?” T.O.P asked her

“They all managed to get loads. They did really well” Hyuna answered and T.O.P nodded his head, satisfied with the day’s work.

“We even got a new person and two couples out of today’s expeditions” Hyuna added to which T.O.P raised his eye brows.

“Oh, speaking of new people. This is Dara and her daughter Jade. We managed to convince her to come and stay here with us” T.O.P said while gesturing to the girl who had been stood awkwardly behind him this whole time. With the mention of the child Hyuna was straight over there cooing at the little girl who giggled back. T.O.P smiled at them. Dara asked Hyuna if she wanted to hold Jade and she nodded eagerly taking the little girl into her arms while Dara watched closely but did have a small smile on her face.

“Anyway, who is the other newbie and who got together?” T.O.P asked.

“Sungmin and Eli are together now” Hyuna said and T.O.P’s eyes widened a little in surprise. He definitely, like everyone else, didn’t see that one coming. “The other is Victoria and the boy she found today. His name is Ilhoon, by some miracle he was completely unharmed under the rubble, just trapped” He nodded his heads before making their way down the stairs to the tunnels that were now their home.

 

~ ... ~

 

Down in the tunnels the men had moved the furniture they had brought back to where it needed to be. The total furniture haul for the day was:

  • 26 double beds with mattresses

  • 12 single beds with mattresses

  • 10 spare mattresses

  • loads of bedding

  • 7 wardrobes

  • 14 sets of draws

  • 10 sofas

  • 8 armchairs

  • 4 stoves

  • 6 rugs

  • 13 boxes full of knickknacks such as ornaments, vases, posters, paintings, fake plants, toys, packs of cards and board games

  • 6 boxes containing cutlery, cooking utensils, pots, pans, mugs, cups, plates and bowls

  • 5 dining tables

  • 40 dining chairs

  • 1 bath tub

  • 1 floor standing mirror

  • 2 cribs

  • 5 book shelves and loads of books

  • 3 coffee tables

  • 8 bags full of clothes

 

The wardrobes, standing floor mirror and 10 sets of draws were moved into a spare room along with the clothes so that everyone could use the room as a walk-in wardrobe. The cookers were moved in to one of the huge empty rooms along with the dining tables and chairs, cutlery, cooking utensils, pots, pans, mugs, cups, plates and bowls. The remaining 4 sets of draws where in here too as storage. This would be the new kitchen. The food had all been moved into the store room with the food they already had stored up. Another room was filled with all of the random boxes of knickknacks to be sorted out later. Either a single or double bed was put in each of the rooms being used as sleeping quarters. Sungyeol and Xiumin’s room and Luhan and U-kwon’s rooms had the cribs put in too. All of the dining tables and chairs were put into a large empty room to be used a dining room. The bedding that was not used on a bed and spare mattresses were put in a spare room for storage. The arm chairs and sofas were placed in an inward facing rectangle in the huge main room of the tunnels. The rugs were put in the middle and the book shelves, now in the process of being filled with the books, along the far wall of the room. The coffee tables were placed dead center on the rugs in the middle of the rectangle. All of the toiletries and the bath tub were moved into the toilet/shower rooms and the medical supplies were all taken to the medical area.

 

Everything was in its place and although it was a bit messy and nothing matched, there was now the homely, community feeling that hadn’t been there before. Everyone was now sorting out the boxes of knickknacks, clothes, and food into some sort of system. They were doing this when T.O.P and the others came down into the tunnels.

 

~ ... ~

 

“Hey boss. Glad you guys made it back safe” Junhyung said while following CL with a box of stuff. For some reason the boy had taken to calling T.O.P boss and as much as he talked to the boy about it T.O.P couldn’t get him to stop.

“Dara! Is that you? Dara?!” Someone shouted causing everyone to look around to see what was going on. Dara was looking around frantically, her wide eyes searching for the voice. She obviously recognised the voice. As quickly as the person had shouted Dara was up in the air being spun around. T.O.P was surprised at the sight, especially when he saw who had shouted, but just watched on.

“Oh my god. It’s you. I’m so glad you’re okay.” the guy put Dara down and then was plastering kisses all over her face “I looked for you but you weren’t in the shelter and it had been totally demolished so I feared the worst. Especially when I saw Jade’s hat lying on the ground ... wait, where is Jade? Don’t say...” the guy said his eyes welling up at the thought of losing his daughter.

“She’s okay, I brought her with me. We’re all okay. God, I’ve missed you. I knew that we’d find each other again. I’ve been looking for you but I was starting to think that maybe you were gone forever” Dara says with tears now in her eyes too. The two hug each other for a while before being startled by Ravi’s loud voice.

“Suga? You’re her boyfriend? Now that’s more of a shock than Eli and Sungmin getting together” Ravi said not really needing an answer. At the same time Hyuna made her way over to them with their daughter and handed her to Dara. Jade immediately reached her hand out and laid it on Suga’s cheek.

“Hello honey. Daddy missed you so much” Suga said smiling to the little girl and putting his hand over his daughters on his cheek. Suga pulled his family in close and wrapped his arms around them. They stayed that while for a long time, happy to be reunited and together once again.

 

...   ...   ...