Chapter 3 - Magnet

Love at Shot

She had spent a week here in the hot summer of California sunshine, away from her friends and family. She hold the script and religiously reading the lines over and over again, she tried to absorb Cha Eun Sang's character into her own daily conversation. She certainly is a strong girl who struggle to work and study and take care of her deaf mother who happened to work at Kim Tan's household. Rich man, poor girl, Kim Eun Sook Shii really could do better than this, she thought silently. She couldn't complaint either, because the writer herself is a blockbuster writer and always known for making a hit drama. Shin-Hye should be grateful to be in this mega hit project, she tried to calm down. But she still can't get over the over-cheesiness in the lines that the writer wrote.

She remembered Min-Ho Shii spoke yesterday, "Perhaps do I like you?" And he continued with the stare.

"1....2....2.5......3...." Shin-Hye counted silently and prayed hard for Kang-PD to shout a cut for their scene.

"Cut!" PD-nim shouted after satisfied with the acting from both actors.

"You all did great, we will continue the other one immediately," PD-nim continued.

Shin-Hye felt a string of humor and embarassment during the staring, she would like to burst into laughter but Lee Min-Ho Shii looked so immersed with the lines that she could not dare to break the scene. Furthermore, she would like to wrap the shooting as soon as possible. They had been running all over the town today, she felt a cramp on her knees and she afraid it could hurt her more. 

"Shin-Hye, are you done with the practicing?" Soo Young came over and wake her up from the yesterday thought.

"Ar, it is so comfortable to enjoy a night view from this balcony, ar, this is wonderful..." she laid down on the couch across Shin-Hye.

"Yes, the summer night weather is more pleasant than the day, it is so hot during the day, do you think I have any sunburn over my face here?" Shin-Hye tilted her head and showed to Soo Young. 

"Hmmm, let me see, the suncream that I applied to your face is really good, you didn't have much sunburn, don't worry, OMO, ar, I forget that we didn't left much suncream, I should have pack more," Soo Young worried.

"It's okey, you can get that at the store downtown too, I heard they have pretty much everything there," Shin-Hye added up and tried to not blame Soo Young for forget to stock up more for her cosmetic.

"Really, I should get them," Soo Young agreed.

Jun-Oppa agreed to escourt the girls to downtown tomorrow since they do not have any shooting scene tomorrow. Shin-Hye excused herself from the trip since she did not felt good on her knees yet. This was one of the reason why she could not be an athlete, her knees which got injured after the accident 2 years ago tend to betray her. She loves outdoor activities and sports but she has this love- hate feeling with running.

Shin-Hye wakes up after the phone's alarm went off.

"A silent morning," she thought.

It is her habit to wore her T-shirt and short to sleep, she knew that men probably prefer women in soft silk nightgown than a shirt and short, but she couldn't care less since she didn't has a boyfriend yet. She hopes she will find that somebody someday, but she never knew why it is so hard to find the one. She did not dated much, it was less than 2 perhaps, but she had a few crushes along the way. She hectic schedules and her crowded and fun teams that always surround her tend to make her overlook that she need that somebody too, like all her friends. 

"Aishhh," she sighed. She got up from her bedd and slightly opened her bedroom door to peep for some actions outside. There was no one, she curious and walked out to check on everyone else. She can't find her unnis and her manager. She looked over at her phone and saw a text message from Jun-Oppa.

"Sleepy-head, we didn't want to wake you up. We are going for some shopping and will come back very soon. Don't wander around yourself, take care," Jun-Oppa wrote the message while their to the mall.

"Arr, they went for the shopping," Shin-Hye totally forgotten the conversation they had last night.

Ding - Dong (the door bell rang)

"Whoa, they did came back fast," Shin-Hye ran over to the door excitedly and opened the door with a warm smile.

"Welcome back," she shouted but she was surprised because the one stands behind the door is Lee Min-Ho Shii.

 

"Min-Ho, Lee Min-Ho, do you hear me?" Manager Hyung asked again.

"Do you hear me? I'm going now, just call me if you need anything else," he added again after not getting any response from Min-Ho.

Min-Ho opened his eyes and when he saw his persistent manager leave, he continued into his dreamland.

Ring, ring, ring......Min-Ho's phone had been in constant ringing for the last 10 minutes.

Min-Ho blinked his eyes and looked over at Il-Woo picture appeared at the phone screen, "Hello, yes, why?????"

Il-Woo is his closest friend in this industry and they knew each other since high school, so they know each other pretty well, include each other darkest secret. "Ehmmm, yes, I just wake up ya, Il-Woo. You are the one wake me up. Yes, today is the rest day. Yes, let me call you later," he closed his phone and shocked at the time showed at his phone.

12.45pm

He was overslept. His manager and teams left early morning for some downtown trip. He is so curious on how they could still enjoyed shopping trip after those tireful day of shooting. He just wished to sleep the whole day long today, a replacement for all the night deprievation.

He realised he is hungry for some replenishment. He changed and jogged downstairs to grab some good food. 

"Opps, it closed," Min-Ho cursed out.

He read the signboard hang loosely on the entrance door: Operation hours: 8am - 11 am ; 5 pm - 12 am

"Arr, this is really annoying, why you closed it down when I am hungry?" he complained.

He walked back to his apartment but the door was locked. Oh, he just realised that he didn't take the keycard with him.

"Arghhh, what's wrong with me today?" he was mad because he is hungry and now he couldn't enter his room for some sleep while waiting for his manager to come back.

He tried to think of some solutions, first he could probably ask for extra keycard from his production team, but he is not sure if they are available in their room. He went to the next apartment on his left and ring the bell. He waited, and he rang the bell again. No answer, great, Min-Ho pissed. He remembered Shin-Hye's apartment is on his right, he braced himself to ring the bell, at least he could get a spot to sit rather than to wait for his team at the corridor downstairs.

Ding - Dong (the door bell rang)

He was surprised on how she opened the door at speedlight, furthermore greeted him with all that warm sunshine smile.

"Oh, Lee Min-Ho Shii," Shin-Hye looked shocked to see him on the door. Her smile just faded away.

"Yes, is me. Ehmmm, I forget my keycard in the room and there is no one in the apartment and my manager is not here," Min-Ho tried to give his best explanation to appear on Shin-Hye's door.

"Ohh, really, arr, that must be bad, how you forget the keycard? Have you ask for extra keycard from PD-nim?" Shin-Hye questioned.

"Yes, but they are not in as well, that's why I come to you," Min-Ho added. How long will she let me stand by the door? Min-Ho thought

"Arr, of course, please come in," Shin-Hye just realised that she was so surprised to see him near the door that she forget to invite him in.

"I thought Unni and Oppa come back but I get shock to see you instead," she explained.

"They are not here?" he looked up on Shin-Hye.

"They went to get something downtown, so I am here alone," Shin-hye replied. 

 Min-Ho stepped into Shin-Hye's clean and neat apartment, filled with a fresh spring scent, a spring flowery, perhaps a cologne that she used? Min-Ho walked towards the living area, sitted himself on the L-shape couch. He realized a pair of eyes was fixed on his movement.

"Do you want me to make a call to your manager to let him know you forget the keycard?" Shin-Hye broke the awkward silence between them.

"I had been calling him for few times but it went to his voice mail instead, he probably out of battery," he looked over at Shin-Hye who sat on the armchair at the corner of the room, she is keeping a distance from him.

"Arr, is okey, you could wait for him here, furthermore you could accompany me instead," she gave her approval and flash him a sweet smile. Min-Ho heart flustered and he looked away, trying to hide the brief shy smile on his face.

"So what you had been up to?" he asked, finding some excuses.

"Nothing," she gave her short and crsip response.

"Hmm, actually I am late for breakfast today, and I just realized I am starving," she confessed and looked innocently to him.

"Oh, you too? I miss the breakfast too," he looked pitiful.

"Really? You hungry too?" Shin-Hye looked over-excited when she knew he had a same fate as her.

"Let me check for some instant food at the pantry, I remember Eonnie show me all the instant noodle that she brought along, let me see....."she mumbled something while walked herself non-chalantly towards the pantry.

"You know, you doesn't need to do this,I could wait for my manager to come back and have some meal with him later on," Min-Ho felt bad to trouble her for some cooking, even though his stomach was at a tight knot of growling.

"How can I just ignore that? Since you and I didn't have breakfast yet, I could make something fast and simple for both of us, I hope you don't mind to eat instant food instead for breakfast?" Shin-Hye responsed. She busily took out two pack of instant rice and poped it into the microwave. She lighted up the stove and bring to boil the water in a pot.

"Do you need my help?" Min-Ho feeling hungry while looking at her, preparing the meal.

"No, oh, if you want, you could help me to set up the table?" she pointed towards the dining table. She took out a few of tupperware from the fridge, side dishes prepared by her mother. Min-Ho could felt his stomach growled by looking over at the side dishes that Shin-Hye put over the dining table. It had been 2 weeks since he had his last korean meal. He missed his national food.

"Min-Ho Shii, the soup will take a few minutes more, then we could start to have the meal," Shin-Hye updated him while looking at his pale face.

"Yes, but actually you could speak to me more casually, since we will work together and of course I would prefer if you call me casually," he suggested. He would like to break the barrier of seniorship between them. They are only 3 years apart, but she always treat him with a lot of formalities,

"How about I call you sunbae?" Shin-Hye asked him innocently.

"Sunbae? You could be my sunbae. You had been acting over 10 years," Min-Ho added.

"Ar, it is not really that long, I am still has a long way to go in acting career," Shin-Hye humbly denied his compliment while adding up the chopped tofu, fish cakes and kimchii into the pot.

"This look delicious, it had been so long that I have korean food," Min-Ho peeped and stirred the soup slowly.

"Really? Then you should eat more, I hope you like the taste of this soup, I could only find fishcakes and tofu in the fridge," she explained.

"Don't worry, I am sure to finish plate, the smell is so tempting," Shin-Hye laughed at his craving, he looked so insisted that he was fine even though he missed the breakfast but now he revealed his true desire that he was hungry all the while.

They sat across the glass dining table and silently endure the food that Shin-Hye took the shortest time to prepare. She knew how to cook since she always helped her mother out in the kitchen. As the only daughter, her mother looked up to her the most. She always got called into the kitchen to lend her mother a hand. She knew pretty much everything about cooking. She peered at Min-Ho Shii, trying to conclude whether he liked the soup taste that she made. However Min-Ho Shii didn't show any expression yet, he just so busy endured everything in front of him. He must be in a real hunger.

"Call me Oppa ya," Min-Ho voice out.

"Uhh? Oppa ya?," Shin-Hye confused but nodding after she realized the hanging conversation that they had.

"Of course, Oppa," Shin-Hye replied.

Just at the moment, her phone rang. Shin-Hye picked up the phone and answered.

"Yes....you arrived?....I am at the apartment, oh! Really, let me open the door," Shin-Hye walked towards the door and opened it.

"Ya, you can just ring the bell ya, Min-Hyuk! Anyway, welcome, come in," Shin-Hye felt so excited as her friend Min-Hyuk finally arrived. She remembered that when she learned Min-Hyuk was casted as her male friend in this project, she was relieved and excited at the same time. She acted along with him in Heartstring and he is a hardworking younger brother that she appreciated.

"Nuna, I am not sure whether who else in the apartment and I figure out if you are not in apartment, then I could just return to my own place," Min-Hyuk was all smile at Shin-Hye until he saw Min-Ho Shii sat at the dining table.

"Oh, hello, you are here, Lee Min-Ho Shii, how have you been," Min-Hyuk slight bowed while greet with Min-Ho.

"Thank you very much, I am fine, you just arrived?" Min-Ho responded.

"Yes, we just arrived," Min-Hyuk added.

"Min-Hyuk, Min-Ho Shii forget his key into his apartment and he can't reach any of his team, so he drop by here and since both of us hungry, so I whip something up, why don't you sit with us here and have some meal with us too," Shin-Hye try to clear the situation before Min-Hyuk drew any conclusion about them.

"Ar, that's why, I am really not hungry Nuna, thank you, but I see you had improved your cooking skills," he smiled and sat himself next to Shin-Hye at the table.

"Ya, what you mean ya? Did I cook something awful for guys before?" she eyed him fiercefully.

"Nuna, you don't forget that you tried to kill me and Yong-Hwa with your famous chicken stew," he laughed.

Wack...Shin-Hye slapped Min-Hyuk's arm while laughing giddily at his tease, "Ya, Min-Hyuk, what you mean I try to kill you? "

Hahhahha, Min-Hyuk laughter filled up the room. 

Min-Ho looked at the two of them playfully teasing each other, they are completely ignore his presence. "I hope I won't die after I eat her soup," he mumbled.

Shin-Hye and Min-Hyuk turned towards him and laughed at his senseless joke.

"Ya, why you guys do this to me? I won't cook for you guys anymore," She pouted while stand up from the dining table.

"Nuna, thank you for your mercy to us. We will survive at last from the disaster," Min-Ho laughed out loud after Min-Hyuk statement.

Shin-Hye looked towards Min-Ho, "Oppa!"

"You guys clean the table up, I won't talk to you guys anymore," She walked back to her room and slammed the door.

"Ar, her acting is getting really good," Min-Hyuk smirked.

"Don't worry, she will forget that after 10 minutes," Min-Hyuk tried to calm Min-Ho down.

Min-Ho washed the dishes while listened to Min-Hyuk babbling about Shin-Hye. "We shot the Heartstrings 2 years ago, maybe you watch that before? Most people that know her, almost fall head over heels with her. She is like magnet to us that keep us togther. But believe me, most people find that she is so intimidating. But she has a very good heart that people tend to take for granted." Min-Hyuk continued.

Shin-Hye walked out from her room, "You didn't gossip about me don't you, Min-Hyuk? You better don't, I won't let it pass with Krystal then," she smirked.

"Nuna, Krystal and me, we are friends, f r i e n d," he reiterated. 

"I just speak to her over the phone and do you know what I say about you, you should be regret when you know it," Shin-Hye challenged.

"Nuna, you didn't?" Min-Hyuk surprised.

"I told you not to mess with me," she sticked her tounge out over the poor looking Min-Hyuk.

"Oh, oppa, you really clean the dishes up?" Shin-Hye looked guilty after she left all the dishes to Min-Ho.

"Ar, is ok, since you cook, I should clean, anyway, the food is delicious, thank you," he flashed her a smile since she is the one who fed him.

"You are welcome," Shin-Hye sweetly responded.

They laid towards the couch while waiting for Min-Ho's manager to come back. "I dream of ice cream on the day like this," Shin-Hye suddenly spoke up.

They turned to each other and agreed to go out for some ice-creaming trip, Min-Hyuk sneaked out to get the rent car key from his manager while Min-Ho and Shin-Hye waited downstairs. He ran towards them and handed the car key to Min-Ho.

"Hyung, u drive," he let Min-Ho to handle the steel instead since he was not very aware of his new surrounding yet. Shin-Hye sat at the back seat and let the guys at the wheel and passenger seat. They stopped by at the drive thru and ordered 3 ice- cream cones. Min-Ho drived the car and stopped at the Huntington beach cliff, he heard from the other foreign casts that the cliff here has the most beautiful view. They are just in time to witness the gorgeous sunset at the beach. Each of them with their cones, silently enjoy the breathtaking sunset, The red and orange rays tinted on the calm sea make a magnificient view. He was so grateful for the friendship that blossom at the beginning of this shooting. He didn't realized that he kept staring at Shin-Hye, he find something about her that make him want to explore more..more..

Like a magnet, Min-Ho thought.