Chapter 8

My True Self

BAEKHYUN'S POV 

"Alright, put him on this bed", the school nurse instructed, as Kyungsoo and I carried a badly bruised Chanyeol into the nurse's office. I felt so sorry for him. He was still semi- conscious, with occasional whimpers coming from him. "You may leave for class if you want boys", the nurse offered. Kyungsoo had a mean teacher for the last two periods, so he couldn't afford to show up to class late. He said goodbye and ran out of the room. I stayed beside Chanyeol. Why would Kris do such a thing to his own brother? There's definitely something that Chanyeol hasn't told me. I squeezed his cold hand with both of mine, and held on tight. "You'll be okay, Chanyeol, I'm here", I whispered quietly, as the nurse came with some disinfectants and a large pack of ice cubes.
She placed the pack of ice on his forehead, where there was a purple bruise the size of a potato and injected the disinfectant into his arm. "He'll regain consciousness soon, when he does, please give him these", she said, handing me a pack of blue coloured pain killers. With that, she left to tend to a boy who looked like he was going to pass out. I waited........ waited........ and waited. Finally, after 10 minutes, Chanyeol's eyelids flickered and his eyes slowly opened.
 
**************************
 
CHANYEOL'S POV
 
The world was a blur. All I could make out was a blue room, and someone's face looking at me. I had a large pack of icecubes on my forehead, which helped with numbing my pain very well. Sitting, up, I felt the blood drain from my face and felt a wave of dizziness. I held onto the side table to balance myself. My nose still hurt a little, but it wasn't bleeding anymore. Blinking away the blurriness, I soon found that I was in the nurse's office, and the face belonged to Baekhyun. I was glad to see him at first, but then I realised that he had betrayed me. HE was the reason for me being here. I lied back down and ignored him. 
 
"Oh my gosh Chanyeol, I'm so glad you're okay, I can't believe this happened to you I-"
 
"Go away, you've already done enough", I said calmly
 
"What do you mean? I carried you from that classroom ALL the way here, and you give me this?"
 
Suddenly I begun to cry. I can't trust anyone in this world anymore. Why do I have to go through this!? Why can't I just die instead?! But I'm afraid: afraid to die, so early and young.The nurse walked in at the worst time possible and she was just in time to see me cry. "There there, it will be okay, you will be healed in a few weeks, but first take a few days off". She stood me up and along with Baekhyun, helped me to the door. "I've tried contacting home but nobody's answered. So, Baekhyun, since you live near Chanyeol, please walk him home".  But my mum WAS home. She probably just wasn't bothered to answer the phone. No matter how much I didn't want to see Baekhyun, I still wanted to go home and not see anyone ever again. Who knows what Kris will do to me the next day? Who knows who else will turn against me? Mrs. Jung? Jongin? Father? 
 
*******************
 
There was an awkward silence on the way home. I just continued to sniffle and cry out loud, and Baekhyun seemed to get a little annoyed. "Please stop crying, it's over now, and you can't change the past", he kept saying, but I didn't care, what else did he expect me to do? Laugh?! People walking past us eyed us like we were lunatics, some even tried to walk as far away from us as possible. "Chanyeol, why would Kris do that to you?" Baekhyun asked suddenly. Upon hearing that, I cried even louder, and the people on the opposite side of the street turned to look. 
 
"Chanyeol"
 
I kept on crying
 
"CHANYEOL"
 
I cried even louder
 
"CHANYEOL!"
 
My cries turned into screams. 
 
"PARK CHANYEOL!!!!!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, and I believe the whole world heard that. "WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME? HUH? FROM DAY ONE, YOU'VE BEEN ACTING SUSPICIOUS, YOU HESITATE WHEN TALKING ABOUT YOUR FAMILY, AND TODAY, KRIS BEATS YOU UP-"
 
I turned arund. "What right do you have to scream at ME? I TRUSTED YOU AND TOLD YOU KRIS WAS MY BROTHER. NOBODY ELSE APART FROM MY FAMILY AND MY CHILDHOOD BULLIES KNOW THAT. YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO KNOW SUCH A BIG SECRET. AND, AS SOON AS I TELL YOU, YOU TELL THE WHOLE SCHOOL, THEN KRIS BEATS ME UP, ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!" My throat hurt.
 
"ME?! I didn't tell anybody! Why would I tell anyone?"
 
"Well, since nobody else knows, then it could only be you!"
 
"Excuse me?! From what I see, you don't trust me at all. You didn't tell me why your mom screamed at you when I was at your house?" 
What? He knew?
 
"What about you and Kris? I thought you got along well! How about the-" he cut himself off. 
 
"Please leave me alone. I'm going to lock myself in my room and hope that ONE DAY i can trust somebody". 
 
With that, I walked into my house, crying a river of despair. At least he didn't know about my scars and my facade.
 
 
 
*****************************
 
BAEKHYUN's POV. ( just a short one! T.T)
 
I was taken aback. I hadn't told anybody about Kris being Chanyeol's brother!! What was the fat deal anyway?
"Excuse me?! From what I see, you never trusted me at all. You didn't tell me why your mom screamed at you when I was at your house. What about you and Kris? I thought you got along well! How about the-" Scars on your body? I decided not to continue. It was best if he didn't know I knew, I guess.
 
****************************
 
CHANYEOL's POV
 
I hate everyone. I hate everyone. I hate everyone. I repeated that basically a hundred times a day. Well it was true. I can't trust anybody. This world isn't fair. It had been 3 days since Kris beat me up at school, and the fight with Baekhyun. When I returned home that day, my mother didn't even ask if I was okay. She just commented on how ugly a purple bruise looked on my head. I was going to go back to school today.I had to face it sometime. Packing my bag, I left an hour early, so I wouldn't have to see Baekhyun or Kris. In fact I didn't want to see their faces ever again. I was hungry today, so I went into a cafe and ordered some take away banana bread. As I placed the order, the cashier looked at my forehead, where the bruise was. I sighed. "From basketball, I take it way too seriously", I laughed, and lied. She nodded in understanding.
 
Banana bread tasted so GOOD. The sweetness of the sugar melted in my mouth, as I looked up at the sky, there was a small plane. It was one of those planes that wrote words. I remember when I was younger, my father would take me on little walks every month or so to look at the words that were written in the sky, to take my mind off the bullies. Today, it wrote "Faith". Great, something that I'll never have .
 
As I entered the school, it was very quiet, not many people hhad arrived yet, and all I could hear was the trees moving. I walked inside and sat down in the corridor, as the bathrooms were being cleaned and the classrooms were out of bounds. Plus, I didn't want some guy to come and bash me up for no reason in a classroom again. I closed my eyes, and begun to think of my perfect life, that i will never get. I would walk into the house, into the arms of my mother, who would smile and pat my head, and ask me about my day. I would then walk into Kris, and he would wink at me and say: "I like your style lil' bro". Then I'd walk upstairs to my father's room, where he'd always be, since he was self employed. "Yeol? Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol?" Came a voice, echoing at the back of my head.
 
Looking up, I saw Jongin running to me, and sitting beside me. "Chanyeol, are you okay? I can't believe what happened the other day!" 
I smiled. "It's past now, i just want to forget it."
 
"Look, if you need me, I'll always be here for you, okay?"
 
"Thanks, Jongin "
 
"So did your body scars get hurt when you got hit?" 
 
"Well, not really I gue-" My face got warmer. How he did he know about my scars? Nobody except Kris and my childhood bullies knew, because they used to take my shirt off and beat me up. Jongin frowned. I recognised that frown, but where was it from? Gosh, think, Chanyeol, think. Then I remembered
 
(FLASHBACK)
 
"You little piece of junk, why are you even on this earth?" A boy with tanned skin threatened, as he pulled my shirt off, seeing my scars.
"Nice rainbow scars, moron, they look so pretty!" His wide eyes stared at me, as he pulled his face into a wrinkly frown.
 
(END OF FLASHBACK)
 
I looked up at Jongin. And at his tanned skin and wide eyes. A flash of realisation hit me. He was one of my childhood bullies. He'd been friends with Kris all along. 
"IT WAS YOU!" A flash of anger hit me, and I tried to shove Jongin to the wall, but he only pushed me to the ground. 
 
"Now you remember huh? All those good times we had, ohhh boy. I watched you and your  facade every single day since you and I started hanging out together. Man that was entertaining". He laughed evilly.
"You... y-y-y-y-y-you..."
"Yes, it was me, idiot! I framed your darling Baekhyun, so you'd think that he told everyone. And I framed you, of course, so your precious brother would think that YOU told everyone, but no, I, was the one who told the whole school, and if anybody hears a word about this, you my friend, will be gone."
By then , I was very afraid. I backed away, and I felt like throwing up. Running away at full speed, I hoped to get away as quickly as possible.
 
****************************
 
Baekhyun stood at his locker, still shaken up from the fight, I guess. I had to apologise. He has to know I understand, that it wasn't him. that it was wrong of me to accuse him like that. Walking up to him, I gave him a soft pat on his shoulder. He turned around in shock. His expression dropped when he saw me. "Chanyeol, glad to have you back", he said expressionlessly
 
"Look, I'm sorry Baekhyun", I muttered
 
"You're what?!" He looked very surprised
 
"I know you didn't tell the school about Kris"
 
"And now you believe me." He rolled his eyes.
 
"I just got all angry, and I took my anger out on you, because I thought you were the culprit"
 
"It's okay, Chanyeol"
 
I hugged him, for the first time, holding his head against my neck. I wrapped my arms around his back, and closed my eyes. But then he let  go. 
 
"Wait, then who told the whole school?"
 
"Your cousin, Jongin, but please don't say anything, unless you want me -"
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"I said, it was Jongin who told-
 
"Yeah, yeah I heard you the first time!"
 
"Then why are you questioning me?"
 
"I've known Jongin, since i was.... 5! He would never do anything like that!"
 
"Oh, so now YOU don't believe ME?!"
 
"I can't just stand here and let you accuse MY FAMILY of doing things to you, when I know they're innocent!"
 
"Oh, now you're just being obnoxious!" 
 
"Stay away from me.... please...."
 
With that, Baekhyun walked off, head down and silent. But I WAS telling the truth!!! How could he not understand? 
Well, I guess I now know how he felt when I didn't believe HIM....
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
baekamazingness: hey! howtotrainyourkris wrote this chapter but i just wanted to ask you guys, how old do you think we are?