Chapter 10

My True Self

JONGIN's POV

 
I sat down on our table in the cafe, buried my face in my arms and heaved a deep sigh. Yes, being Chanyeol's 'boyfriend' did cover the truth, but I was afraid that I couldn't handle all of it. Nobody could know that I was the one who told the school about Kris and Chanyeol. Nobody could know that my relationship with Chanyeol was in fact fake, or things would surely get messed up. 
"Uh, Jongin?" Baekhyun asked. I almost forgot he was still at the table. "You said you had a mean teacher for class?"
My heart stopped. Oh , I forgot about the lie i told him! "Uh, oh, right, I found out that he was away today, so I'm back!"
Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and raised an eyebrow, as if he was questioning my answer. Finally, he spoke. "I know you're hiding something, Jongin" he accused.
"What?! I'm not hiding anything!" i retorted. 
 
Baekhyun narrowed his eyes even more. "Jongin...."
 
"Not hiding anything!"
 
"Kim Jongin, your eye twitches when you lie, and its going hyper right now!"
 
"That's nonsense- " I was about to finish, when I realised that my eye WAS twitching. "Fine...", i sighed. Time to lie again. " Chanyeol and I , you know, have been friends for... a while now... and I just want you to know that..... that......" I didn't want to finish.
 
"Go on, cousin".......
 
"That Chanyeol and I are..... DATING!" I let out a breath that I was keeping in.
 
Baekhyun remained silent. I was expecting him to say at least, something, like "Oh, okay!" but no, his expression just dropped as he sat there, speechless. Waving an arm in front of his face, I tried to get him to snap back into reality. "Baekkie??" I asked, confused. The sound of the last two period bell broke the moment, as he looked up, his face pulled into a frown. "I'm happy for you, hehe. You would make a great couple", he murmured as he collected his books and walked off to his class. I stared at his stiff body as it inched away slowly. He couldn't be THAT angry at Chanyeol, could he? Unless... he was .... jealous?
 
********************************
 
CHANYEOL's POV
 
It was the end of day. It was like freedom from jail for me. I thought I had friends but, I guess I was wrong. Suddenly, I begun to recall what happened today. I didn't know you liked each other but it was cute so I ship it! How could I be Jongin's BOYFRIEND, when I was so afraid to be around him? He would just beat me up everytime we weren't in public! My stomach jerked in pain. Looking at my stomach, I could see a bruise in one of its early stages, forming in the middle of by abdomen. A tanned arm tapped my shoulder. Startled, I turned. It was Jongin. He had his death stare actived.
"Okay, Chanyeol you know about the whole boyfriend thing between us? Well, from now on, you and I have to pretend to be a couple in public, so nobody will know the ty truth. If you dare blow our cover, just look down at your stomach and you'll know what I'm talking about. Remember to be extra romantic in front of my cousin"
 
"Baekhyun?" I asked, confused." Why Baekhyun?"
 
"Idiot. From what I know, he's .... lets say, uncomfortable with us being together. The more unhappy he is, the more happier I am, and the more ... bruiseless you will be". He insulted, as his eyes shifted from my face, to my stomach, then back to my face quickly. "Look, Baekhyun!" He alerted, instantly putting his arm around me and forcing my arm around his waist.
 
Before I could turn, there stood Baekhyun, looking like he was trying to smile. "Cousin", he greeted monotonously. "You having fun there with... him?" He said without eying me the slightest bit. He was still mad at me. Jongin raised his chin, and nudged me, as if to tell me to raise my chin too. Nervously, I straightened up, and forced an ugly smile at him. From the corner of my eye, I could see Baekhyun cringe. 
 
"Well, we have to go home and prepare for our outing this evening. We're going to the theme park!" Jongin lied. I rolled my eyes. What a lame lie. Upon saying that, he kissed me on the cheek and walked towards the front gate, looking back at me every now and then to wave goodbye. He was such a good actor. Maybe he would be good for drama class. I was left alone with Baekhyun, who grasped his books until his knuckles were white. He DID look uncomfortable. "I hope you and Jongin are very happy together", he forced a smile, as he turned around and stormed off. Did he hate me that much, that he didn't want me to be near his cousin? Or was he suspicious that we got together as soon as I accused Jongin of spreading word? No, he couldnt be. The only logical explanation was that, he was.... jealous.....
 
************************
 
BAEKHYUN's POV.
 
I made my way to the entrance of the school, my heart frozen from, all this nonsense. Jongin and Chanyeol? They were definitely not a good couple! I mean, they're just friends! If they had something going on, then why didn't either of them tell me their feelings toward the other? I screamed internally. Didn't Chanyeol just walk up to me and accuse Jongin of telling secrets? Didn't they hate each other from that? How could they have possibly gotten together just like that? I had so many questions to ask. But why?! 
 
I spot in the distance Chanyeol and Jongin who had their arms around each other.  My feelings dropped at the sight of their romance. "Cousin" I greeted, as I approached them, trying hard to put emotion into my language, but it was just too hard at that moment. "You having fun there with... him?" I tried not to eye Chanyeol. I felt it awkward if I did. Chanyeol smiled at Jongin, and at the sight of that, I cringed. Jongin didn't deserve Chanyeol! 
 
"Well, we have to go home and prepare for our outing this evening. We're going to the theme park!" he replied enthusiastically. They must be really happy together. He then placed a kiss on Chanyeol's cheek, and hurried away., leaving me alone with Chanyeol. Not knowing what to say, I wished him and Jongin happiness, and trudged off. I wasn't sure why I had felt that way. Was I mad at Chanyeol? Yes, but not very. Did I like Jongin? Yes, he was my cousin! So why was I feeling to tense? Was I .... jealous of Jongin?! B...but, I have no reason to be! It's all so complicated!
 
**********************
 
CHANYEOL'S POV
 
Walking into school the next day wasn't so easy. Coincidentally, I bumped into Jongin at the entrance, and he eyed me. "Ugh. Why did I have to bump into you? Now, I have to come all close and snug!" He sighed heavily, before locking his fingers around mine. I tensed. It was definitely not a good feeling. I could see people stop to stare at what was going on. All I could hear was murmurs saying "Is that Kim Jongin, with Happy Virus?". Happy Virus. I realised that my happy facade was fading. I was no longer trying to force myself to smile. It's almost if, I'm changing. We arrived at the tree that we'd hang out near before school. Kyungsoo, Luhan and Baekhyun were already there. Luhan and Kyungsoo were taking selcas while Baekhyun held a book in his hand. Whether he was reading or not, i wasn't entirely sure. The trio looked up simultaneouly and Kyungsoo and Luhan began their girly squeals.
 
"So cute together!" Luhan screamed, as he snapped a picture on his mobile phone. I looked to the side, and there sat Baekhyun looking as uneasy as ever. I could tell he was trying to avoid our gaze, as he kept looking up then down repeatedly. Letting go of my hand, Jongin sat down on the dirt, and I follwed soon after.
 
"So how was your trip to the theme park last night?" Asked Kyungsoo. "Baekhyun told me about it last night and- " He stopped when Baekhyun cupped his hand over Kyungsoo's mouth, to shut him up. Pouting, Kyungsoo returned to his original position as Baekhyun sighed with relief. 
 
"Oh it was awesome! We ate cotton candy and kimchi together! The rides were amazing! I don't think I've ever had that much fun in my life!" Jongin bragged. "Right Chanyeol?" He looked at me.
 
"Right... totally" I said hesitantly but I must have been too hesitant because Baekhyun eyed me suspiciously, before going back to 'reading' his book. 
 
"I am so glad to have Chanyeol, he's too amazing!" Jongin continued to boast. As soon as he finished, Baekhyun snapped his book shut, grabbed his bag abruptly and stormed off they way he always did. Luhan and Kyungsoo ran after him, obviously wandering what was going on. Jongin turned to me. "Haha, see his expression? That's what we want! Little loser of a cousin!" he jeered. 
 
I could feel anger boiling up. Don't you dare speak about Baekhyun that way. I was about to retort when I remembered that we were still a couple and that Jongin was capable of doing so many things to me. Like 6 years ago when I was 10...... I shook off the horrible memories and nodded slightly, before running away- away from this dystopia.
 
It was hard being with Jongin. I would much rather have him beat me up than go through this. This made me just as uncomfortable, Actually, it made me more uncomfortable, because for some reason, it made Baekhyun uncomfortable too. I was first at the table for lunch. I had hurried to avoid having to hold hands with Jongin. All around me, people were staring. "It's Jongin's boyfriend!" I heard. "They are so adorable!" I heard elsewhere. I was close to exploding. Wouldn't everyone, if they were caught in a situation like this? The sound of a plastic tray slamming against the table woke my train of thought. Hoping it was Baekhyun, my feelings dropped when I saw it was Jongin. 
 
"Seen loser cousin yet?" He asked.
 
"No", I said, resting my head on my arm. "How long is this going to last for? I'm getting annoyed!"
 
"Don't you even think about what I think you're thinking! Remember your stomach-"
 
"Sorry....."
 
"Okay, here comes Baekhyun!"
 
Jongin grabbed my shirt sleeve as Baekhyun approached and planted a huge kiss on my lips. My heart stopped. I wanted to let go. I couldn't do this. It was all to much! I heard the smashing of glass against the marble floor and plastic cups rolling around, before Jongin let go. By then, it was too late. All I saw in the distance was Baekhyun running away, burying his face in his hands. This time, Jongin had gone too far. My guilt began to slowly creep over me, and so did my own tears.
 
*************************
 
BAEKHYUN's POV
 
"Baekkie!! Baekkie wait up!" Luhan called, running after me. Great. All I wanted was some peace and quiet away from Chanyeol and Jongin. Not wanting to turn around, I walked as fast as I could, waiting for him to slowly catch up.
 
"What, Luhan?" I snapped back at him.
 
"What was that all about?!" He questioned.
 
"What are you TALKING about?"
 
"Why did you just leave like that? The story was going fine."
 
I death stared him, . "Don't ask me why okay?! I don't know why I just left! My feelings are messed up!" I raised my pitch, suddenly having the urge to strangle him. Realising that a hallway of people was staring, I lowered my voice and sighed. "Leave. Me. Alone." I said through clenched teeth, before storming off: the way that I always stormed off. It was true. I wasn't sure why I felt so ......envious. After all, I was supposed to be mad at Chanyeol. Maybe there was a tinge of suspicious trying to ooze its way out . That way he talked this morning. It had to mean something, right?
 
I hurried out to lunch from class. I had to talk to Chanyeol. Get him to scoop out the suspicious truth from within. The cafeteria was already half full, but thankfully I saw Chanyeol ALONE at our table. Quickly grabbing a bowl of pudding and some coffee, I put them on a tray before squeezing through the crowd. But I was too slow. Halfway to my destination, Jongin appeared out of nowhere and sat down. I stomped my foot, wishing I could punch something. Oh well. Approaching the table, Jongin eyed me and raised an eyebrow.What was that supposed to mean? I realised when he pulled Chanyeol in and smooched him right on the lips. I felt like I was going to throw up. My brain seemed to stop working, as I could feel my grip loosening on my tray. Before I knew it, it had fallen to the ground and coffee was spreading over the floors with clumps of pudding throughout. This wasn't happening. How could Jongin do this? The way he eyed me. Obviously something was going on! 
 
I couldn't take all of this. It was all too much. Shocked and nauseous, I sprinted away from this dystopia, not sure why I was feeling this way.
_____________________________________
 
A/N: Deep inside, there will always be Baekyeol!!! Anyways, just wanted you guys to know that I'm an intense gamer, and can go on for hours sometimes. Yeah it's probably not good since I'm a girl, but I LOVE GAMES TOO MUCH. So, that's why I don't usually come on, unless I am updating or bored because I got knocked out LOL.
 
Fun fact: The muscles you use when you are fake smiling are different to the ones you use in a natural smile, so people can usually tell when you are genuinely happy or not so genuinely happy. ^-^
 
baekamazingness: and the reason i'm ALWAYS on is coz i have nothing better to do with my life.