Chapter 12

My True Self

It had been a month since Baekhyun and Chanyeol had made up. Conveniently, the middle two weeks of that month was school holidays. It gave them, a chance to become closer, and they did. They are now pretty good friends, and let's start the chapter with the day Chanyeol and Baekhyun took a trip to Caribbean Bay, in Yongin in South Korea.

 
CHANYEOL'S POV
 
It was an early 7 a.m. The sun had only just risen, turning the sky the usual yellowy orange. Although I looked at the same sky every morning from 7 to 7:30, it was something pretty to look at- prettier than the value of life itself. It was the middle of the school holidays, and I could never be gladder: after that incident with Jongin, I just wanted to stay away from school forever. At least Baekhyun and I made up. 
 
Today was going to be different. Baekhyun had offered to take me to Caribbean Bay, the world's largest water park. But I was nervous too. I  had never been to any fun parks, well, when I was five, I was supposed to go with my mother and Kris, but in the end, she only took Kris. I remember not eating food all day that time, and I was crying and crying for them to return, but they did, only after it was too late..... I had passed out from lack of energy.......
 
Shaking off the bad memories, I thought of the big day ahead, and I smiled, genuinely.  I saw my phone light up from the corner of my eyes, and I unlocked it, to see who had texted me. It was none other than Baekhyun. 
 
BYUN BAEKHYUN: Yah, Park Chanyeol! Come to my house now! I booked the tour bus to pick us up at my house at 7:45, and its already 7:20! If we're late, you won't be able to see Caribbean Bay!! And you'll be an ALIEN!!!! Nah I'm kidding, you know I am! See you soon!
 
I stifled a laugh. 'I'm coming, I'm coming!' I thought. Packing my swimwear, some towels, food, water and a change of clothes, I grabbed my bag and quietly tip- toed down the stairs, hoping not to wake anyone. The morning sky was beautiful, along with the fresh breeze that blew in my face. I guess the world is kind of pretty, especially when you aren't surrounded  by evil people. I was at Baekhyun's house in no time at all, and was relieved to see the tour bus parked in front of the building. I was on time! Baekhyun stood at the side walk, chatting away to the driver. They both laughed loudly, like kookaburras. I once saw them in a science documentary, and their laugh was so intense. 
 
I put on my smile, which, wasn't as hard as before and hopped on the bus with Baekhyun. There were other couples already aboard, and I bowed to them and greeted them. Baekhyun and I sat near the back, and put our bags on the overhead compartment. Not long after, the bus engine started, and we began to move. I looked at Baekhyun, who also looked at me. I blushed and quickly looked away. "So, you excited?"He asked, grinning.
 
I shook my head "I'm more nervous. Never been to such a large place before, what if I get lost?"
 
"You won't get lost, you have me! I know the place like it's my home!"
 
I raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"
 
"Oh, right. I used to go the Cabi Bay every summer, pre-summer, post-summer holiday when I was younger. I went with my aunt and you know.... J-Jongin."
 
My emotions dropped. That name just gave me the shivers. I wish I would never have to see him again. "Right."
 
"I can't believe I spent so much time with him, and didn't even know he was such a liar."
 
"Yeah, me neither", I sighed. Oh man, you haven't seen the real him yet.
 
We pulled into Carribean bay at 8:20 a.m, and it was already beginning to crowd. Luckily, the tour company pre-booked our tickets and we didn't have to line up. We hurried to change, to start the big day as soon as possible. At that point, I was starting to get excited, until I remembered my scars. Crap, I gotta wear a shirt over my torso so they don't show. Hoping that nobody noticed, I threw on my rash shirt and hoped that my arm scars weren't that prominent. I was about to look around for Baekhyun, when he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me out. "Let's go play!" He cheered.
 
*************************
 
The day was extremely fun. We went on a ride called the Tower Boomerang. It tilted at a 90 degree angle, and I remember screaming my head off while Baekhyun was laughing and shouting "woohoo!!". We also went on the Tower Raft, Wild Blaster and Water Bobsleigh, which all held a similar concept in us riding in a floating raft, but it was the best experience I had had in my life. The adrenalin, screaming and laughing all came together to make a great trip. The worst part was when our raft capsized after coming out of the Tower Raft, and since I couldn't swim, Baekhyun had to rescue me! It was embarrasing. My favourite ride was definitely the River Way. It involved us floating on circular rafts while taking a course around a peaceful river. Baekhyun and I held hands tightly so we wouldn't lose each other, and the genuine smiles of both me and him still give me sweet dreams.
 
*************************
 
BACK INTO PRESENT TIME WHEN SCHOOL STARTED.
 
CHANYEOL'S POV
 
I slammed my locker door shut, and waited to see if Baekhyun would turn up any minute. Seeing that he didn't, I decided to go to the cafeteria and save a spot for  us. As I passed the bathroom on my way, I looked in and all the memories of my self harm came back to haunt me. The blood, sweat and tears. But I shook it off and kept walking. As I entered the cafeteria, I could slightly make out in the distance Luhan and Kyungsoo talking. Hoping there was no Jongin, I walked towards them and was glad to see no sign of Jongin. I plopped my textbooks onto the table and slid into the seat next to Luhan. 
 
"Where's Jongin?"  I asked. "Not that i'm expecting him to stay after what had happened last term but where is he?"
 
Kyungsoo shrugged. "Over there, with the popular kids, and a group of girls.... of course."
 
I turned to look, and five girls surrounded him, his tanned face, and his mates, were chatting to each other, not noticing what was happening. I guess the girls were glad that he and I 'broke up'. All of a sudden, Jongin's eyes met mine and he shot me a glance as sharp as glass, and I turned around abruptly and pretended nothing happened. By then, Baekhyun had arrived, and he too, was staring at jongin. 
 
"Jerk", he mumbled, loud enough for us to hear. "No more Cabi Bay with him", he continued, flashing a smile at me. I smiled back, and it seemed natural, again. 
 
"Cabi Bay?!" Kyungsoo suddenly shouted. "I went to Cabi bay with Luhan when we were younger, and guess what? Luhan here threw up ALL OVER me on the Tower Boomerang! I had to live with undigested kimchi all over me for the whole day!"
 
Luhan laughed, and so did Baekhyun. 
 
"Neither of us threw up when we went," smiled Baekhyun. Luhan and Kyungsoo's eyes widened. 
 
"You guys went and didn't take us?" demanded Kyungsoo.
 
"Chanyeol had never been, so I thought he should go with someone who DOESN'T throw up," Baekhyun said, giving Luhan a look.
 
They all burst out laughing, while I managed a large cheesy grin. It wasn't the happiest reaction that could come out of me, but hey, it was better than nothing. 
 
**************************
 
Baekhyun and I walked home together every day since we became friends again. I felt like we were getting closer and closer by the minute.
 
"Hey guess what?" Baekhyun asked me. " I called my aunt after lunch and told her about Jongin." 
 
My attention immediately went from the birds in the sky to him. 
 
"What did she say?" I asked, wanting an answer desperately. 
 
"She told Jongin to stay away from you and me! But sadly, I don't think he will."
 
I looked down in anguish. 
 
"But don't worry, we'll help each other get through it!" He smiled, and whenever he smiled, I did too, It just came by nature now.
 
There was an awkward silence, until Baekhyun turned around suddenly. "Chanyeol, we've been close for a while now, and I... I just thought, maybe it's time I found out more about your family?"
 
I felt my pulse stop, and all my blood drain from my face. Yep, it had come. It wasn't that I wasn't expecting it to come, i just wish it had come, a little later. I sighed. "Can we talk about it at your house? I don't think my mother will be very happy if I told you about it at my house."
 
Baekhyun hesitated for a little while, as if pondering what could be so mysterious, but he nodded and agreed anyway. "Come on, let's go," he took my arm and we slowly made our way to his house. I felt as nervous as ever. 
 
**************************
 
None of Baekhyun's parents were home yet, so the house was quiet and empty. It wasn't all a bad thing, since that meant I could talk as loudly as I wanted and nobody would even hear what was going on. I sniffed the fragrance of the lavender candle in the living room as I dumped my school stuff on the couch. Yep, everytime I visited his house, the same smell of lavender would fill my nose. Baekhyun ran into the kitchen to fetch some soda and potato chips, and as soon as he came back, he led me up to his room. His room was nice. I remember visiting it for the first time, amazed at the posters and books he had in there. He even dedicated one corner to his grandfather, who passed away from cancer a few years ago. He sat on his bed, and gestured for me to do the same. Without hesitation, I took off my shoes and plopped onto his soft feather bed.
 
"So, your family?" He asked, the curiosity clearly getting the better of him. 
 
I took a deep breath and nodded. "Let's begin. It's a long story". I chanted.
 
" I wasn't born like normal babies. I wasn't intentional, I was an accident, an accident of a drunken night. What happened on that drunken night, I don't know. When my mother found out she was pregnant, she wanted an abortion, but my father disagreed. He was glad that she had another child coming. When I was born, there was an extra mouth to feed in the family, but my mother was always unemployed. Thus, my father had to work extra hours per day, sometimes not even coming home to sleep, just so I could be fed. One day, he came home with a 40 degree celcius (104 degree fahrenheit) fever at midnight and my mother told him not to work so hard: all he had to do was bring home enough money so I could be fed three meals a day. But he shook his head. He said he'd rather get no sleep at all and make more money, than have me raised with no happiness." My eyes begun to water, and Baekhyun's arms were tight around mine.
 
"It's okay, Channie."
 
I inhaled deeply and continued. "My father would always give me what I wanted. Toys, clothes, if it seemed like i wanted it, he'd get it for me. But this angered my elder brother, Kris and he always took his anger out on objects at home, such as vases and paintings. Then my mother got mad. When I was slightly older, old enough to start school, my mother already hated me so much, and treated me like I wasn't her own. She would always tell me that if I weren't here, my father wouldn't always be away like this, and that if I weren't here, the family would be so much more peaceful. But I was small back then. It just went in one ear and out the other. Kris would always bully me at school with his gang. It was his way of revenge. He would punch me, kick me, and leave me in the playground with blood dripping out of my nose. Nobody came to help me, not even my teachers. I just felt so, helpless and lonely.But the saddest part is, one of his gang members was...... Jongin."
 
Baekhyun gasped. "That son of a how could he, I'm gonna go kill-" I held his hand and gave him a look. 
 
"Don't. It's all over now."
 
"Sorry, continue"
 
"I only got to see my father once a month or so and everytime before he left, he would whisper in my ear: "No matter how hard I work, as long as you're happy, I am willing to die for you". I never realised how special that one sentence was, until it was too late. I was bullied by Kris, Jongin and Sehun for years and years. And for years and years, I just somehow put up with it, coming home everyday with some kind of bruise on my body, but my mother never gave a . For the start of junior high, the gang split. Sehun and Jongin went to different schools than I did, and Kris still went to the same one. He continued to bully me with his new gang, but it all got worse when Jongin returned to the same school as me for Senior High. I made friends with him, because I never recognised him. He had changed so much, even his mother wouldn't recognise him if he left for that long. I had friends, like Luhan and Kyungsoo, but I could never relate to them, so when I was 14, I started self harming. I thought I deserved it. I was the reason for my father working so hard. If I weren't here, things would be so much better. There would have been no difference if I died. I felt like I was worth zero. I felt..... that I'd be happier if I died, but no. I chose not to die. I didn't want to waste all the time and effort my father put into raising me. even if it meant I had to stay a burden for a long time." By then, I was crying. Tears flowed like rivers down my cheek and dripped onto the mattress below. Baekhyun hugged me, and my hair. 
 
"You can stop if you want now" He offered.
 
"No, you deserve to know everything."
 
I wiped away my tears and continued. "I harmed myself almost everyday. The pain gave me joy. The blood...... gave me pleasure. But if people found out what I was really like, they would all think of me as  a psychopath and run away, so I put on a fake smiling personality everyday and came to school. It was so hard, it hurt. Nobody understood how difficult it was to be smiling, when I wasn't loved, or appreciated. Every night, I cried myself to sleep, thinking about the things my mother had said to me. I wished that I was dead. I wished that...... I would just disappear, never to be seen again. I wished that, I could be praised for once, but no! None of my wished ever came true! I prayed day and night, just hoping that one, ONE miracle would come! It never did. Maybe it will come one day, maybe it already came, and I was too busy wrapped up in my thoughts to notice. Maybe, it will just never come at all! The only thing that cheered me up the slightest bit was music. But nobody liked it. Nobody even believed that I could be good at it. All I want, is someone that understands my feelings, and who accepts me for who I am, even if I'm crazy. I want, someone who loves me"
 
I buried my face into Baekhyun's shoulder and cried, as loud as ever, but he didn't care. He hugged me, and comforted me. He wiped away my tears, and gave me a shoulder to cry on: literally.
 
 
BAEKHYUN'S POV
 
"All I want is someone that understands my feelings, and who accepts me for who I am, even if I'm crazy. I want someone who loves me". 
I love you. I appreciate you for who you are.I thought, as I his back and wiped away his tears. 
 
 
NO ONE'S POV.
Little did Chanyeol know, that his miracle had already come. It was right next to him, and was now closer to him than ever. Little did he know, that his miracle, went by the name of Byun Baekhyun.
 
_________________________
A/N: It was time they had, THE TALK hehehehe. Yeah, not THAT talk, this talk. Baekhyun is Chanyeol's MIRACLE IN DECEMBER. Because he doesn't know WHAT IS LOVE, especially not from his MAMA but that is all HISTORY now. HAHAHAHA I'm feeling high today.