❆ ❄ ❅ ➺ Solace || namzUd

❆ ❄ ❅ Big Summer Blowout ❅ ❄ ❆ || Review Shop || Closed || Hiring

Title [7/10]
Solace

Okay so first off, I didn't actually know what Solace means. It's a word I heard once in a blue moon. It sounds nice and fancy on the page yet at first I wasn't quite sure where it was headed or how it really related to the story. I took the liberty of Googling up the meaning of it, and it went along the lines of comfort or consolation at a time of great distress or sadness.

Well, I do guess that in its own way, it relates quite well to your story. And also, you must know. I am a er for one word titles. The only problem with one word titles is that you must know if that one word can relate to your story and make a big impact on the page.

Foreword/Description [17/20]
Well, the first thing I noticed with this story is that it's not finished. And it's been quite a while since its last update. To be honest, I feel as if it has been quite neglected.

But anyways, moving on. I like how you somehow incorporated the meaning of the title into your blurb, seeing as you used the two words: consolation and comfort. Those two words are practically the whole focal point (or is supposed to be) of your story and I like how you've managed to put that in. The essence of your description is nice, too. It doesn't reveal too much, unlike other stories that I've reviewed before. After reading it, it gets the reader to ask all the right questions which, in turn, leads them to open your first chapter.

One thing I'd also like to point out is, your second sentence on your description. 'Skeletons in our closet we don't ever want to look back on.' In my standpoint, I guess it could make sense. But looking at it realistically, I would say, it looks quite nice on the page, yet on the whole perspective of things, it just doesn't make that much sense. I would say that it was an attempt at a metaphor. To be blunt, it wasn't a very good one. I would suggest turning it more into a simile, yet I'm not sure if the essence would be captured thoroughly no one can relate because seriously, who has skeletons in their closet??

I, myself, am not sure if I make sense so I apologize for that haha. I'm a bit braindead at the moment so I can't really-- ANYWAY. The other thing I would like to bring your attention to are your inconsistencies as regard to font size and possibly your font as well. It might just be my laptop ing up again but huh well.

Anyway, besides from those two things that pointed out as regard to your foreword and description, I think it was perfectly fine. Your foreword makes quite a big impact on your reader (or me anyways haha) since it is very well-written. Before I read it, I can already sense that it talks about two lovers who, when one is ready to move on, the other wants to mend it back together when it's already too late to be mended back-- there are pieces that are never going to be put back together, even if they manage to retain those mutual feelings and somehow fit into each other's lives again-- it won't be like the first time. But I especially like the last sentence-- we never had a chance anyway. In short, feel-inducing :)

Now last but not least on which I want to commend you on, is character charts. I'm a believer in not using character charts haha. Although I do use them myself, I would recommend to most that not using one just adds to the mystery of the story, because without one, it adds fun of getting to know the main character and subs. So well done! :D

Appearance [1/5]
Well my donut, unfortunately to say, you don't have much brownie points for this section. I know, slap me if you have a freakin awesome background and I can't see it, but there wasn't really much to it for this category. As mentioned, you have incosistent font and font size on your description, and a bigger letdown is that you have no poster that could possibly compliment the story.

BUT. On the sunnier side of things, at least you went with an acceptable format of the front page which is, 1.) Description 2.) Blurb and 3.) Credits. But haha aside from all those other things I think that's the only thing I can compliment you with :)

Spelling/Grammar [12/15]
K so the first thing I want to comment in this section is that, you have absolutely beautiful descriptions. In your first chapter, you used very pretty, very nice descriptions. Your choice of vocabulary was absolutely impeccable. You used very nice descriptive sentences, such as describing their appearance by just a casual sentence which is very impressive. There is one particular sentence that I would like to point out, which I really liked in the first chapter, "Brightly like lone stars amidst the darkness of the cold night sky." Haha it's very pretty to read, and I sensed just the slightest bit of Shakespearian influence right there lol.

Now, one of my concerns is that, for your first chapter-- don't take it the wrong way, it's very beautifully described-- but some people might have a hard time fully understanding your story, because it's perfectly phrased with big words and ornaments here and there. Aside from that, there are absolutely no changes needed for the first chapter, because it really draws you in as you read it, and I felt that I was inside the story, so good job for that one-- I really like to see authors who put up a lot of effort into their story.

Okay so, having said that, there are still more things I have to talk about. First off, with this kind of beautifully descriptive story, it's easy to lose its magic touch. And what I mean by that is, it is easy for you to become demotivated. I have a story like this myself, and I find that the best way to keep the inspiration and the motivation there is to seek out stories like yours, and take a break from it once in a while. Remember, even though lots of people keep on urging you to update (or no one even does) you have to keep in mind to take it slow. For me, I find it exhausting to write pieces like this all the time. So, just keep on taking breaks. ^^

Now secondly, I notice that you have lack of --or too much-- punctuation and spaces in some places, especially in chapters 3 and 4. For those, I recommend that you proofread your work before posting it up because I promise, it makes all the difference. I'm a person who can't stand typos on the page, and I found quite a bit in your writing from those two chapters. In line with punctuation, I notice that you have the habit of ending the speech marks without some sort of punctuation. An example would be: "I don't know you" she said. Do you see what I mean? You'd need either a comma, a period, an exclamation mark, or a question mark before you close off the speech, otherwise it's all just wrong on the page :)

Thirdly, I think this has to be the most important issue I have to point out. Your Korean words. I don't understand Korean, nor can I read it, or comprehend even the slightest gist of it. At first, I guess it was alright, when they say the common phrases such as, 'annyeong', 'kamsahamnida', 'aegyo' and all that . I guess it was fine. But then you started to take it a bit further, then I was completely lost when she was learning Korean with Chansung. The point I'm trying to say is, there are lots of readers here who, like me, can only understand so much, and then there are others who don't understand anything at all. And if we look at it from another angle, there are lots of actual Koreans here who speak and understand Korean perfectly, so I'm just shedding light on the fact that you have to make sure your phrases are correct-- of course, I'm not judging on whether or not they are, because I don't have the slightest clue. But yes, I would recommend that if you have any Korean words-- any at all-- you must put the meanings of the words/sentences at least at the bottom of the page, that way, there isn't much confusion for your readers and we can enjoy it more.

Haha alright, that was a lot, but asides from those three points, as I have mentioned earlier, I really liked your choice of vocabulary in the first chapter. The third point that I pointed out though, was such a shame, because you'll lose quite a lot of brownie points for that one, since every author should take that into account.

But yes, I think your story has quite the potential, and I would encourage you to keep going :)

Plot [13/15]
Alright so, the first thing that I noticed with your story was:
That you used P.O.Vs. HOLY COW. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just quite different from the normal kpop fanfic. The P.O.Vs and the P.O.V changes stated are the formats that I usually find in anime fanfics! I read a lot of anime fanfics so, I would assume that you have a slight influence, yes? ...or not.

Haha anyways, there are a few things I would like to ask you about, such as in the first chapter. Niddhi said, 'Khun-ah'. May I just ask, since that term is Korean for when they are talking to a younger counterpart, is that what they also say in Indian? Or something? Because as far as I know, Khun is also not Korean, and they're not living in Korea, right? Or are they...?

Lol okay, seriously though, I find it weird how they're both not Korean and can speak perfect English, they call each other with Korean honorifics. Now as mentioned before, I sense that your writing style has to do with the change of P.O.Vs, so I guess that it's acceptable, since it is your style of writing, but a piece of advice on that is, be careful on changing too much and putting in lots of different point of views since it could look a bit messy on the page and a tad bit confusing for your reader. Also, on chapter five, I just need to mention the title. The. Title. I'm sorry, miss, but it is wrong on so many levels. I don't know why your standard of writing suddenly dropped there, I'm sorry to say. But I said that I will be honest, so here I go. First of all, you need capitals in the first letter of your words-- you should know that. Secondly, a space between the comma and the word 'laughter'. Now thirdly, you should know that most titles or sub-titles should have only three words(if main title) or five words(if subtitle). It looks much better, neater, and overall just easier to remember without giving too much away with regards to what you're about to write or your plot.

K now, also, I would like to commend you on something that  you did in chapter five where you mentioned the prejudism. It was something that I was expecting throughout the whole thing because as most would know, deny it or not, Koreans (and most other races as well) are still quite racist. Compared to other countries, they've only recently just opened up to the rest of the world and they will still look at foreigners quite differently. I don't intend to imply any of this in an offensive manner, but it is a serious issue, and should be taken into account in story-writing, in order to make it more realistic and interesting, which is what you have done here, but I had expected you to mention it a little more earlier in the story. Having said that though, there is still the factor that most authors, more often than not, overlook the fact of racism, even if the interacial character is American, English, British or other kinds of popular race that most other countries would look up to. You've done a relatively good job on this one so I have to give you cookies for this :3

But yes, since you only have five chapters to your story, I can't exactly tell where your plot is going because to be honest, I think this story would look better as a one-shot, since the whole plot of it was basically all mentioned out in your first three chapters. You have to keep in mind, though, that not all stories particularly need a happy ending. I think something like your story would suit a cliffhanger. I also don't know whether I fancy this kind of plotline, since I'm not really much on the drama side of the reading spectrum. But to my point of view, I reckon you did a fine job, and there really aren't any major flaws to be found in this story, so good job!
 

Characterization [16/20]

Allrriighhtt. I have to say, there's quite a lot I have written down for this section as I was reading your story. I find it quite intriguing-- the fact that the main character is not of Korean descent. I'm saying this because, as you know, it's very uncommon in the kpop world and very unlikely it is, too, that it would actually happen in real life. But anyway, my character review for Niddhi would be, as I got to know more about her in the first few chapters, I found out that she was quite introverted, I sensed. She's quite the average girl-next-door kind of girl and she's afraid of most things. The cliche turn to her would that she would also be cold and doesn't speak much, yet people still think she's a gem. She only opens up to people she knows and trusts, and I sense that she's a loyal person. As very obviously stated, she's got a thing with the past and I personally think it's hard for her to put things behind her, although she does try. For me personally, I think that she's quite a good, strong realistic character type to be put into your story. I commend you on that.

Now, onto Nichkhun's character. I don't know, but I just have to say...

He's a freakin softie with a mushy side to him. I mean like, sure he's manly and , but I find him to be a real softie. He remembers about the past fondly, as you mention in chapter two, and brah, he had it bad for her. I think that where your plot is going is to the direction where they would reconcile and be together again, am I right? Because judging from his persona, he still feels quite possessive over his ex, although he tries not to, because he knows his boundaries. Feels are still there for him, and I am quite certain that that is where the plot is heading towards.

I don't really have much to say for the side-characters. They are given quite some depth, most veereed toward Ra-ihn and Chansung, but I will leave it at that, because side characters are only side characters and I feel as if I haven't gotten to know them in a more in-depth manner, seeing as you only have five chapters written down. I wish you the best of luck :)

Flow [5/10]

I don't really have much to say on this section, to be quite honest wiht you. The flow speed was actually pretty slow, and I feel as if you trying to get chapters over and done with in chapters 4-5. Having a slow flow speed can be both a good thing and a bad thing, just please remember not to drag it out.

I have to say though, it must be hard to stay motivated. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before but the your writing style in that story is so good, yet it's very hard to keep something like that, in it's polished state.

I felt as if the crying scene in chapter five escalated much too quickly, as if a poor attempt to bring back the angst.

This section is not one of your strong points, because I saw little flow to your story. It kept on going back to the past, their relationship together, and the connection they used to have. I guess it was good in the first few chapters, but I think it got quite used as you went on.

Overall Enjoyment/Reviewer's Note [2/5]

Oh my god. No one should have to wait this ing long for a review. I apologize so so much. I've been pretty brutally honest here, and I hope you don't mind. I feel like its been a whole year that it's taken for me to finish this up.

These kinds of stories aren't normally ones that I would seek out on my own initiative, but I couldn't say that yours was too bad either. I think you just need that little push to become motivated and inspired once again so that you'd keep on writing and finish this story. I think it has great potentieal, and I enjoyed the first few chapters, due to your incredible choice of vocab and your writing style. It's not in my line of preferred genres, but I think it would be executed way better if you find the time to get back on it again. Best of luck! :)

Grand Total [73/100]


Reviewed by: AwesomeDonut ❆ ❄ ❅


Well, I hope you're not too offended. Remember, upvoting is not a must, but very much appreciated, so if you were satisfied with the feedback, please do so no pressure :D
And remember, these are suggestions for your improvement.
I hope you go far and wide with your writing my donut. Good luck :)