Chapter 5: I'm a big girl now!

A Place To Call Home
"Hana, what are you going to do if you're dad says no? I mean we all know him, once he says something he will never back down. And besides, the classes are going to re-open in three days..." Sunny chided worriedly in a soft tone. They had moved from the garden to the living room, while the maids served them chocolate chip cookies and milk to go with.

"I'll try and try, I'll make sure that he's going to agree with me this time!" Hana replied, full of determination, her eyes sparkling. She perfectly knows that her dad will really say no. But she'll keep persisting without the lack of hope, she even thought of having a hunger strike until her dad will change his mind.

"If you're thinking of going on a hunger strike, don't do it" Hana's eyes widened at her best friend, surprised that she knows what she was thinking. "How did you---"
 
"I'm your best friend duh!" Sunny cut her off with a grin. 

"Yah Kim Hana! Don't even try to risk your life in this matter!" Sunny scolded her again. Hana's smile faded and she sighed, "I'm desparate to gain freedom Sunny...I'll do whatever it takes..." she calmy explained with a solemn face.

"HANA! I'm sure your home school lessons and teachers are not that bad---" Sunny was cut off by Hana's glare "Okay... so they're really bad" she continued. 

"Sunny... believe me, if you were in my shoes right now, you would do the same." Hana sighed while dipping a cookie in to the milk and munched on it.

"Hey! I'm perfectly against your imprisonment in this house! It's the hunger strike that I'm not okay will!" Sunny defended while she herself mirrored Hana's actions.

Just as they finished their snacks, a maid walked in, towards them, "Miss Sunny, you're driver is here" she bowed.

"Aish, really? It's 8 already?! Huh...I never noticed" Sunny's eyes widened in surprise and softened when met with her friend's face. "Hey... don't be sad. I'll see you again sometime, ok?" she cheered, trying to lift her spirits up.

Hana found the head interesting as her head drooped down, "Yeah, and that would be next week. Curse Dad for not letting you even visit me anytime!" Hana growled in irritation, deeply frustrated with his Dad's actions.

"Hana...It'll be okay...And don't worry. I'll pray that your dad will hear you out with what you want. You're his daughter after all... Just stay strong 'kay?" Sunny held Hana's hands, trying to hold on those tears in her eyes. Sunny hated her friend's situation. She knows that Hana's way of life is already killing her and she hopes that one day she could have at least enjoyed her life. 

Hana looked at her friend with eyes full of thanks for her friend's prescence, "I hope so...Thanks Sunny...Bye" and with that the two hugged. Hana pulled her away softly, "Go on, your driver must be waiting..." Sunny nodded and went outside. The maids closed the door as Sunny left.

Silence... The house was nothing but silence, yet again.

Hana remained seated still looking outside, *Someday, I'll be going outside too* The thought lifted her spirits up. But not enough to hold her tears. She cried alone, wishing Sunny didn't have to leave and was comforting her. She wiped her tears away and stood up. She'll be going to her room again, and end the day in there doing whatever that might kill her time. She was about to step at the stairs when the door suddenly creaked open.

It was her dad.

"Dad!" Hana ran towards her father in a fluffy. She was going to hug him but her father cut her off, "Don't run! Try to act like a lady, better yet, be a lady!" his dad coldly scolded. Hana frowned. Again cursing at her dad in her mind. 

Her dad walked pass her and Hana called him, "Dad!" 

Her father not even looking at her asked, "What do you want?" Hana walked infront of her dad. Looking at him face to face, she first breathed in and said "Dad, I want to go to a school. In. A. Normal. School." she stressed out her words.

Her father looked at her with eyes full of bubbling anger and confusion. "Why?" Hana tried to remain calm facade, not letting her dad see that she's already scared. "Because I want to have a normal life" she mustered all her courage saying this. Hana looked directly at her father's angry eyes.

"Normal life?!" Her father shouted and his voice echoed. Hana flinched already feeling her heartbeat speed up. "KIM HANA! YOU ARE ALREADY LIVING THE PERFECT LIFE! YOU HAVE MAIDS AND BUTLERS ALL AROUND YOU! YOU CAN EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT! YOU HAVE A MANSION AS YOUR HOME! WHAT MORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT??" outraged at her wishes his voice raised with every word and so as his temper.

Hana maintained her gaze directly at her father's eyes. She desn't want to lose this thing this once in a life-time chance, "Dad, I don't want this life. Yes! I have all that I need. But Dad I'm not free, I don't have any friends except for Sunny! And I can't even see her anytime. I'm locked in this house Dad, and it kills me!"

"I already told you! You can't leave this house unless you're mature enough to run our business! Wait for that moment Hana! Don't be a kid! Once you have succeeded that moment, you can have a life of your own!"  Her dad said,already red because of anger. He doesn't understand why her daughter is being like this. *She's acting like her mother*, he thought. *She's being selfish*

"And what?! Spend my whole life running your business?! DAD! I don't even want to run the company?! Have you ever thought about what I really want in the future?!" Hana can feel her cheeks hot now, her vision already covered with tears. But she refuses to let any of those tears fall.

"Well to inform you Hana! Your future has been already decided! Whether you like it or not, you'll be running the company!!" His dad walked pass her, Hana nailed at the same spot. She wants to curse! To shout! How can her father be so selfish?!

His dad stopped at the 5th step of the stairs, "And about the matter of you entering a normal school...It can't happen.No. It will never happen" And her dad continued to walk upstairs. Hana felt like her legs became jelly and she sat on the floor. She placed her hand in her chest and her heart aches more. Her tears won't stop. She bit her lip trying to stop all those tears from falling. She wants to stand up and face her father again. But her feet betrayed her. She's feeling hopeless and alone...

*All I want is freedom...Thats all...* She closed her eyes and let the tears fall.

*Mom, how could you leave me here?! HOW COULD YOU??!* She felt anger at her dad, even at her mom who left her with him. Suddenly in her mind, she recalled the last words her mom have said to her, "You're a big girl now, you'll be okay. Just do what your heart tells you too. Do what you think is right"

Hana stopped crying. "My heart tells me I need freedom Mom" She said to herself, hoping her mom was here to hear that.

She stood up and looked at the enormous door infront of her, "I'll live my own life. I'm Kim Hana, and no one can control me anymore" she whispered to herself and then went upstairs to her room.

____


Hana opened her cabinets.

Tons of clothes welcomed her, but Hana didn't. She don't need those fancy dresses. She put about 10 set of clothes in her luggage. She also picked a pair of doll shoes, sneakers and a slipper.

She opened her drawers and took her credit cards, her wallet and the music box her mom gave her. It was simple, once you opened it a lovely tune will play with a butterfly at the center. It was decorated with small gems and was pure gold. After admiring it. Hana put it in her luggage's pockets. 

As she finished placing all the things she needed in her luggage she made a contented nod. Her luggage was not that big and it was not that heavy too. She grabbed it and carefully opened the door. She examined if there were any maids outside and when she made sure there weren't she silently went downstairs. She tried to open the door but it was locked. She opened the windows but they're locked too.

She sighed. She placed her luggage near the sofa and tried to think of other ways, *How can I go outside...Think Hana...THINK!....AHA THE BACK DOOR AT THE KITCHEN* She was about to grab hold of her luggage and dash to the kitchen when a maid saw her, "Ms. Hana?" 

Hana became nervous but she realized that the maid haven't saw the luggage near the sofa yet. She must have not realize that Hana is trying to escape.

"I'm hungry" Hana said trying to sound as normal as she can be.

"Oh, should I get you some food?" the maid asked.

"Nah! I'll be the one doing it. You can continue whatever you're doing" and with that the maid bowed leaving Hana alone again. She grab her luggage and went to the kitchen. Luckily no one's there. She quickly tried to open the door but it was locked too. "!" Hana cursed she was about to turn her back when the door suddenly opened. It was one of her butlers. "Ms. Hana?" The butler asked, then he looked at Hana's hand holding a luggage. His eyes became wide, "MS. HANA YOU'RE TRYING TO--- PAKKKKKKKKK" Before the butler could even stop her, Hana hit him with her luggage making him lose consciousness. Hana smiled and made a peace sign,then hurriedly ran to the gates. 

She saw one of the guards and quickly jumped to the bushes so that he won't see her.

"I need a plan...I could try hitting him again, but he's too  bulky! It might not be enough to let him fall asleep!" She whispered to herself. Hana looked everywhere, and then she noticed the tree near the wall. *If I climb that thing I may be able  pass through the wall* Without much thinking Hana climbed the tree and when she was close enough to the wall she transferred. She looked at the guard and saw he still haven't been able to notice. *Gosh, Dad recruited useless guards* She smiled but when she looked down her eyes become wide. *Its too high! How can I go down now!!*  It was about 10 ft. Hana felt hopeless when  suddenly he notice the vines in the wall.

*I should thank the gardener!*  Hana dropped her luggage down. The luggage was made with a soft material so it didn't gave a sound. She carefully climbed down the vines. Just when she's concentrating a dog barked and she lost hold of the vines. She fell  first. Luckily she's not that far from the ground, but her  still hurts. She quickly grabbed the luggage and looked at her surroundings. 

"I'm free..." She whispered to herself. She ran at the edge of the neighborhood and called for a taxi.

She gave the address to the driver and the driver nodded and started the engines. She's going to stay at their condominium for a while where Sunny is also staying. She looked outside from the window and felt very happy. It's been a while since she saw these busy roads and the bright lights of Seoul. She felt her heart pounding in joy. 

When she arrived she quickly went to Sunny's unit and rang the bell.

"Oh boy the pizza---HANA?!" Hana chuckled at her friend's reaction. "Yes its me. The one and only!" Hana proudly answered.

"Wait you're here! MEANING YOUR DAD LET YOU????!" She asked with eyes big because of surprise.

"Nope...I kinda....escaped...." Hana said looking down while grinning.

"YOU ESCAPED??!" Hana quickly covered her friend's mouth. "geez you're noisy!" Hana said then let go. Sunny pulled her in and closed the door. "Wait you really escaped?! HANA! YOUR DAD WILL BE FURIOUS FOR SURE!" She shouted, not caring of her volume.

"Sunny, lower it down will you? Yea I escaped, and Yead dad will be furious. So?" Hana crossed her arms.

"So???????? Oh dear Hana! You're a--UGH!" Sunny can't even find the right words right now, she stomped her feet in frustration. "So where are you staying now?" she asked, still finding it hard to sink in her friend's escape.

"Well we have a unit here, I'll be staying here for a while. I'll enroll myself tomorrow in Seoul National University then I'm happy!" Hana happily explained.

"Yeah, I think you are" Sunny softened seeing her friend so happy. She hugged her tight, "Sunny not too tight I can't breath" Sunny then pulled her away. "You're really something Kim Hana!" Sunny said.

Hana smiled and scratched her head. "Well...I guess I should go in my unit now"  Sunny nodded. Hana went outside and Sunny closed the door for her. Her unit is located in the same floor, two units away from Sunny's. Hana entered the code and the unit opened. She put her luggage at the side and went to the balcony of her unit. She breathed in and out, and watched the busy roads of Seoul from above. A tear fell from her eyes and she whispered, "I'm a big girl now".