Lee

Sweet like her perfume

We drove home in her range rover, comfortable, at ease, happy to listen to her singing. Unnie drove again and overcame her accident after a number of sessions with a psychiatrist. We had a quiet day, and an early lunch in bed. If the simple declaration. It was too deep, too high, too sensual and warm to leave. I couldn't comprehend the happiness of being in love with Unnie. I knew it was the worst possible truth that I could do. I'm not sure if my family would be ready to be filled with the discovery about our engagement.

 

We stood at the door 

 

 Chaerin:"I'm nervous"

 

Dara:"We should practice." Unnie  glanced at me"

 

Chaerin:"I think I could handle it with my own words"

 

Dara:"How about if I give you a good hug now?" Unnie  said as she moved closer 

 

Deeply inhaling her warm sweet rose scent, I limited my actions as I hooked one arm around her neck and squeezed for all she was worth.

 

The door opened before I could press the smartbell 

 

Harin:"Unnie!" She nodded virously, smiling "Umma! Appa! We have famous

visitors"

 

My Umma rushed over to give us a quick hug and a kiss. She was ignoring items she held on the floor.

 

Umma:"Hurry Chaerin, don't keep you Appa waiting, he misses you a lot" 

 

Unnie  held my hand... I'm dumbfounded..

 

Dara:"Appa!" Unnie  greeted, 

 

She was very close to him

 

Appa:"Sandara!" My Appa called her in humor with an ascending accent Unnie  was familiar with

 

I watch her move among my family, my mom and my sister drew her through my baby pictures. 

 

Umma:"Dara-shii  do you eat gumbo?"

 

Dara:"No.. But I would love to try" Unnie hesitantly smiled

 

Appa:"You'll like it. It has sausage, shrimp, chicken and rice, and lots of other good stuff that Umma perfected when before we left the US."

 

Umma:"Appa stint in New Orleans restoring old school building with his friend that gave us the taste for a little Cajun cooking." 

 

My Umma loved my Appa's awkwardness when they stared at each other smilling and nodding as they carried the conversation on the dinning table. 

 

Dara:"I like your home" Unnie  said as she looked out the open French windows to the porch. 

 

Chaerin:"It's quite cool out there" I told her before I swallowed a mouthful of food

 

 Appa:"Yes, I think I will use that lovely porch" He took his a glass of pineapple orange juice that Harin made for dinner.

 

Umma:"Perhaps next time Dara-shii visit, she could stay with us" Umma offered attentively

 

My Appa sat quietly, drinking  it all in.. Unnie  joined him surprisingly as they talked in comfort. I realized that Appa shrugged and grasp both of her hands. 

 

Harin:"Unnie, your face is red, and your eyes wouldn't blink more than 3x per 10seconds,"

 

Chaerin:"I can't help it" I muttered in humor "Genetic weakness"

 

Harin:"What could Appa lectured with aeyo Dara-unnie this time?" She spoke my mind with a warm grin

 

Chaerin:"Why do you know me so well? I guess I can't throw you away and you know all of my secrets" I patted her head but her words made my blood race into embarrassment..

 

Harin:"Including your crazy girl crush with Dara-" I subconsciously hugged her tightly depriving her air

 

Chaerin:"Not all of my secrets" I whispered "I'm going to marry her"

 

Harin:"When did Unnie liked girls?" Harin asked in disbelief "Unnie , you're the most clean freak slash most feminine slash workaholic person I knew"

 

Chaerin:"Are you mad because I'll marry a girl?

 

Harin:"No, I'm just afraid that you might get hurt of what others would say behind your back"  She paused for a few seconds "How can Unnie  explain this to Appa and Umma?"

 

 --Porch

 With a hand that was trembling slightly, Unnie  caressed my cheek with her fingertips. The desire to wrap her up and hold her forever was an ache in my poor heart. We have to tell them that in my hands... This girl beside me is my puzzle piece that had been missing from my life. I knew I would never feel complete without her. 

 

Chaerin:"Appa, Umma.. Unnie  and I .. We .. Love each other..

 

Unnie  lifted a smile and the love shone in her eyes were warmer than the sun as we each other's glance.

 

Dara:"I have no excuse of letting Umma , Appa and Baby Harin take a part of Baby-rin and I have left. I can live with what we are, but I don,'t want to live without your daughter.. I knew too much ugly side of this life that may lead us but I don't regret my heart .. 

 

Her words brought tears into my eyes, her heart had always been a nourishment to my starving soul..

 

Chaerin:"Umma.. I love her"  I reached my mother's hand and she hugged me in return "Please let me love her"

 

I felt safe in my Umma's embrace as she rubbed my back and patted my shoulders. When Umma lifted her head I saw her tears and the relief of her smile

 

Umma:"I have something for you"

 

My Umma lifted her hand as she release her most precious band and handed it to my opened hand. 

 

Umma:"Ask her to marry you" She said pushing me gently to face Unnie 

 

I stared at Appa who nodded and smiled

 

Appa:" I will always support you.. my Chaerin"

 

Chaerin:"Finally we came up with this" I stared at her eyes and move to swatt down, but her hands held me in place. "Why are you crying? I thought you'd be happy"

 

Dara:"I am.." Unnie  smiled in a megawatt smile that melted my bones "I love you..I'll cherish you"

 

Chaerin:"Silly, I'm going to propose.. Not you" 

 

My family laughed at the awkwardness of our proposal

 

Chaerin:"Three months is too long.. I don't want to burden you instead"

I placed the diamond solitaire ring into her palm and her hand and closed her fingers around it. I felt the gold band warm from her body and the sharp edges of the cut stone. 

 

Chaerin:"I promise to love you as long as I am able to draw breath. I will always respect and trust you and not control the situation, I want to marry you in a week if you will have me"

 

Dara:" I do, but its not..a burden"

 

Chaerin:"Fine, I can make it 3days"

 

Dara:"What?"

 

Chaerin:"Good! We have a deal, I think we should seal it with a kiss"

 

I looked into her dark brown eyes and clasp her face..

 

Dara:"We would figure it out as we go"

 

Chaerin:"I must be crazy" I muttered before placing my mouth over hers.. Jarred alert with electricity, she could only sway me into her arms..

 

Dara:"Delicious" She whispered "I'm horribly falling more in love with you and your family"

 

---

 

Please enjoy .. Huhu forgive my typo errors editing is hard for me..