First Acquaintance

Crossroad

 

 

 

 

„Who is it, Hongbin-ah?“ his father went to the brown haired boy and looked him over the shoulder. A wide smile appeared on his face as soon as he saw his son.

“Taekwoon-ah you’re here! Please, come in!”


The boy called Hongbin stepped aside at first and then went into another room that Taekwoon assumed to be the kitchen, since kitchen sounds came out of the room. The male entered the apartment and was immediately pulled into his fathers arms, he returned the hug. Taekwoon could say that he felt at peace when he was by his father’s side. They stood in an embrace for a while until a female voice sounded from the kitchen

„Darling, did your son arrive?“ she asked.

The embrace released and his father motioned him to wait as he went to the kitchen and talked to his girlfriend.

Taekwoon used the short loneliness to take off his shoes and look around in the corridor. The room was painted in a light beige and the furniture was glossy white. The wooden floor was brown and matched the white furniture and color of the walls perfectly. On one wall and over the commode hung family pictures. Taekwoon took a closer look and found many pictures of Jaemi and her son and also of Jaemi and his father. Taekwoon noticed that the boy who had opened the door was not the boy that was shown in the pictures. Maybe a friend? He didn’t know but he was sure that he will figure that out later. To his surprise there also hung a picture of him and his father where he had been about fifteen years old.

His father came back with Jaemi, but Taekwoon didn’t noticed her at first. His gaze was glued to the picture on which his father and he were laughing happily.

„I remember that day as if it was yesterday“ Taekwoon said and chuckled „we went fishing and you accidentally slipped and fell into the lake. Your friend took that photo right after you climbed out of the water and laid an arm around my shoulders while I laughed like never before“ His father laughed as he remembered that day „It’s my favorite picture after all“ he said and cleared his throat, getting Taekwoon’s attention.

He turned his head to look at his father and then noticed the black haired woman next to him. The woman was about 168cm tall and had a slim figure. Her hair reached her shoulders and she wore a natural make up look that underlined her high cheekbones and well formed eyes.

„Taekwoon, let me introduce you to Han Jaemi.“

Taekwoon bowed formally „It’s nice to meet you, my name is Jung Taekwoon.“ he introduced himself.

„It’s nice to meet you, too, Taekwoon. Your father had talked a lot about you and I am glad to see you two re-united after such a long time.“ she smiled and Taekwoon had to admit that her smile was beautiful.

She then looked at his father and chuckled „He really looks like you, Darling. He has your good genes, look how beautiful he is“

Taekwoon had never gotten a compliment from the opposite , so he didn’t knew how to respond. Well, his cheeks seemed to know how to as they has gotten slightly rose. The young boy had to pull himself together not to lower his head and stare the ground away to hide in a hole for the rest of his life. Why did a simple compliment make him feel so embarrassed?

„Thank you“ Taekwoon said and smiled awkwardly. Suddenly a low grumble interrupted them and both, Jaemi and his father, looked at the black haired male.

„I guess someone’s hungry“ Jaemi laughed and motioned him to follow her.

„The food is ready but let me introduce you to my son first. I bet you two will get along pretty well.“ she smiled at Taekwoon as she led him into the living room „He likes soccer as you also do and he likes music.“

When Taekwoon entered the living room a light blonde boy was placing a bowl of salad on the dining table that stood right in front of a wall made of glass with the view on the hoped Han River.

„Hyuk, let me introduce you to Taekwoon.“ Hyuk went to his mother and the boy and eyed him interested „Taekwoon, this is my son, Hyuk“ she said.

„Nice to meet you“ Hyuk said and smiled.
He had the same smile as his mother had with the difference that he was about ten centimeters taller than she was but still shorter than Taekwoon.

„Nice to meet you, too“ Taekwoon responded and smiled as well. „Alright, you guys can sit down, I’ll ring the rest of the foo-„ Hyuk’s mother was interrupted by a male voice.

„Attention!“ the boy said and Taekwoon, Hyuk and Jaemi stepped out of the way to let the brown haired male pass, who carried a serving tray with a bowl of rice and side dishes on it.

The boy placed the food on the dining table and turned around to go to Taekwoon and politely bow as he introduced himself „Hello, I am Lee Hongbin“ as he looked at Taekwoon the boy again smiled brightly.

Taekwoon bowed as well as he introduced himself „My name’s Jung Taekwoon, nice to meet you.“ he said.

„Hongbin is a friend of mine and kinda lives here.“ Hyuk started to say „Well, he is over pretty often, I hope you won’t mind.“ The voice of the blonde male didn’t sound like Taekwoon was allowed to have something against Hongbin being over often.

„Why should I mind?“ Taekwoon asked in response.

„Good.“ Hyuk replied and then noticed how passive aggressive he sounded „I hope we can become friends, too“ he added and he also meant it.

„I hope so, too“ Taekwoon said.
He really hoped that he and Hyuk will get along well, since he will move in soon.

„Okay boys sit down, let’s eat“ Taekwoon’s father went from the kitchen into the living room and placed the last side dish, Kimchi, on the dining table.
Hongbin, Hyuk, Jaemi and Taekwoon sat down on the table and they started to eat lunch together.

 

 

 


                                                                                                                           *   *   *

 

 

 


While they were eating, Jaemi asked Taekwoon different kinds of questions, for example what his hobbies were and what he wanted to do in the future. Taekwoon answered that he liked playing soccer, boxing and singing. Since singing was had become his biggest passion after he had to cancel being a professional soccer player due to an injury, and that he wanted to become a singer. Jaemi talked about how Hyuk also had a passion for music and was randomly singing in his bedroom every day. The blonde boy then started to explain that he was fascinated by the combination of singing and dancing and that he wanted to become an idol one day. Taekwoon admit that he thought about it, too but feared that he would lose his passion for music under the pressure and strictness of an entertainment.

They continued to talk about the music business but Taekwoon couldn’t concentrate on the conversation. He felt the soft gaze of Hongbin on him, that made him feel nervous and awkward but somehow not in a bad way. Taekwoon couldn’t tell what it was but a feeling started sneaking out of the back corner of all the emotions that existed inside of him. 

He lowered his chopsticks and put them on his plate. Jaemi immediately noticed it and looked at the boy „Everything okay?“ she asked and Taekwoon nodded.

„I’m fine and it was very delicious but unfortunately I’m about to explode when I eat more“ he lied and the woman believed him.
What else should he say? ‚Well, Hongbin is making me feel in a way that I forgot it existed?‘ - No, that was not an option.

He hoped that the remaining people on the table also believed his lie, especially his father. But he seemed to be only concentrated on eating, for Taekwoon’s sake.

 

 

 


                                                                                                                           *   *   *

 

 

 

 

After eating lunch, Hyuk suggested to show Taekwoon his bedroom and to play a game on his playstation.
Taekwoon accepted the offer and went with Hyuk and Hongbin to the blonde male’s bedroom.


His bedroom was bigger than Taekwoon’s and his walls were painted in white and his furniture was a mixture of black and white. Hyuk led them to the black leather sofa that was standing on the opposite of the flatscreen TV. 

The three male sat down on the sofa and Taekwoon looked around a bit more. He had to admit that Hyuk’s bedroom was pretty stylish and that he liked it. Neither Taekwoon nor Hongbin nor Hyuk said something. The silence between the three male was pretty awkward and uncomfortable. Taekwoon would have preferred the comfortable kind of silence and he was sure that the other two males would have too.

After an eternity of silence Hyuk cleared his mouth and got Hongbin’s and Taekwoon’s attention. It was obvious that the boy felt uneasy with what he was about to say but Hyuk felt like he had to. He wanted to know it. He took a deep breath and asked what was on his heart.

„Taekwoon-hyung I’d like to ask you something. Please don’t get mad at me, okay?“ Taekwoon wondered what Hyuk might wanted to ask him that it was possible to get mad. The black haired male nodded, giving Hyuk the sign to ask the question. „I don’t want to seem rude or want to hurt your feelings… but… was it okay for you that your father suddenly moved in with us?“

Taekwoon didn’t answered at first. He sat there and let the question sink in. Had it been okay for him? Probably not but not because of Jaemi or Hyuk, but because Taekwoon didn’t know what was going on. Hyuk could see how surprised the male was at his question. He was about to apologize, when Taekwoon started to answer his question.

„Honestly, I didn’t know about you and your mother the last six months“ now Hyuk was the one who looked surprised, he didn’t expected that Taekwoon didn’t knew about it. „And also, I didn’t knew what happened to my father until he suddenly stood in the corridor yesterday.“ Taekwoon honestly answered „You must know, six months ago my father suddenly disappeared and I had no clue where he could be. My mother always blamed him for everything but in the end she was the one who kicked out my father and cut the contact.“

Taekwoon’s answer left Hyuk speechless. He felt like he shouldn’t have asked the question.
Did it hurt Taekwoon to talk about it? He couldn’t tell since the boy had a pokerface no one could look through. 

Taekwoon noticed that Hyuk felt uneasy and started to talk again „Don’t worry, if I were you I would’ve asked the same question.“ he said „Let’s just get to know each other so we will get along well in the future.“

Hyuk slowly nodded „I think we will“ he smiled. Taekwoon returned the smile and added „But don’t hate me when I destroy you at playing soccer“

Hyuk grinned „Are you challenging me?“ he asked.

„Maybe“ was the answer given by Taekwoon and Hongbin could feel the tension that was building up.
It wasn’t a negative tension though, but still a tension.

Suddenly the ringtone of Taekwoon’s phone interrupted the boys. He took out his phone and looked at the display. As soon as he saw who was calling he pressed the red button and put his phone on the coffee table in front of the sofa.

„Don’t you want to answer the call?“ Hongbin asked, wondering why he didn’t answer the call.

„If I would’ve picked up I would sit here for the next thousand years. My friends talks a lot.“ Taekwoon responded calmly, fighting back the awkward feeling that was slowly crawling up inside of him whenever he looked at the brown haired male.

Hongbin and Hyuk laughed, they also knew a person who talked a lot and the friend Taekwoon was talking about reminded the two friends of the person they knew. The awkward feeling drastically increased when Hongbin smiled his beautiful smile again.Taekwoon gulped. Suddenly his phone rang again and he shot an annoyed glare at it.

„Go ahead and answer it, in the meantime I’m gonna get us something to drink“ Hyuk said as he left his bedroom to go to the kitchen.

„Well, but don’t complain if the call takes forever“ Taekwoon mumbled and picked up the call.
“Hello?” Taekwoon said annoyed.

“Taekwoon-ah?” the voice calling his name didn’t sound like Hakyeon’s.

“Eunkwang? Why do you call me from Hakyeons cellphone?”

„Well, the battery of my phone’s empty and I don’t have a charger with me.“ the male said and chuckled „As always, you know“

„And you’re calling me to tell me that your phone battery is empty?“ Taekwoon asked, raising an eyebrow.
Hongbin chuckled beside him.

„Uh, no.. I guess.. Well, I’ve talked to Hyori and told her that you had an important appointment you forgot about.“

„Ah, yeah I know I’ve talked to her earlier.“ Taekwoon said „She gave me her number and I’ll text her later.“

„Uh la la, Taekwoon-ah!“ Eunkwang laughed.

Taekwoon rolled his eyes „Shut up, it’s nothing serious at least not for me.“ he said.

„Then tell her early before she fully falls for you and you break her heart.“

„Who said that she had fallen for me?“

„You’re blind aren’t you?“ Eunkwang chuckled

„You’re so innocent, my little Taekwoonie“ Hakyeon shouted from behind.

„I am wha- Hakyeon-ah, I’m not innocent and how often have I told you to not. call. me. Taekwoonie.“ he growled.

Hongbin laughed quietly, the conversation must amuse him more than Taekwoon. The black haired male had to fight his own laugh away, he had to admit that the conversation was kind of funny.

„Eunkwang-ah I need to hang up now. I’m still at my dad’s apartment you know?“

„Ah yeah, right! Sorry I forgot about that.. Well, then have a good remaining time and we’ll talk later“ he said and said goodbye afterwards.
Taekwoon said goodby as well, pressed the red button and put his phone back on the table.

„Well, if that have been thousand years then they went by super fast“ Hongbin teased with a little grin on his face.

„Eunkwang doesn’t talk as much a Hakyeon“ Taekwoon replied.

„Cha Hakyeon?“ Hongbin suddenly asked and Taekwoon nodded.

„Wait.. you know him?“ the black haired male asked surprised.

„Yup, he’s a friend of mine since elementary school. I’ve met him at the local dancing school.“ Hongbin explained „Hyuk also knows him“

„Who do I know?“ the blonde boy placed the cups on the coffee table as well as the bottle of water.

„Cha Hakyeon“ Hongbin answered the blonde’s question.

„Why didn’t he introduced us sooner..“ Taekwoon thought out loud.

„Why?“ Hongbin asked and Hyuk also looked at the handsome, black haired boy.

„If he would’ve introduced us sooner it would have been easier now I guess“ he explained.

Hyuk thought about it for a second before he replied „Makes sense"

„We should exchange numbers to stay in contact. Maybe we three can meet up“ Hongbin suggested and Taekwoon handed him his phone.

„Well, Taekwoon’s moving in next week, we’ll see each other every day then.“ Hyuk said.
Hongbin pressed ‚save‘ and handed Taekwoon his phone back.

„Oh, really?“ he asked surprised and Taekwoon nodded.

„My dad wants me to stay with him and let’s be honest my mother isn’t home that often.“

„Ah, okay.“ Hongbin bit his lower lip and wondered if Taekwoon’s mother was a sensitive topic.
Taekwoon didn’t seem to be pleased about talking about her.

„Let’s not talk about that any further, let’s do something fun.“ Hyuk said excited „We can watch a movie or play video games or do karaoke“

„I’d go with playing video games if you have soccer“ Taekwoon said and Hongbin hummed in agreement.

„Of course I do“ Hyuk chuckled and went over to his playstation to turn it on and put the CD for soccer on it.
He then the TV and handed Hongbin and Taekwoon a controller.

„Oh.. it looks like one of us has to sit still while two of us play against each other“ Hyuk said.

„No, you two versus me.“ Taekwoon said and grinned.

„Isn’t that unfair for you?“ Hongbin asked and Taekwoon shook his head.

„It’s not, I’m quite good at soccer“ he answered.

„As you wish“ Hyuk chuckled.

 

 

 


                                                                                                                           *   *   *

 

 

 


„Quite good of soccer he said.“ Hyuk stared at the screen.

„We are two… TWO and he is one person… how is it possible for us to lose?!“ Hongbin asked dumbfounded.

„As I said.. I’m quite good at soccer“ Taekwoon was proud of himself, that he won against two people at the same time.

„Wanna play another round?“

Hyuk shook his head while Hongbin said „Sure, bring it on! Hyuk and I will kick your !“ he laughed and looked Taekwoon challenging in the eyes.

Taekwoon couldn’t hide the grin on his face „As if.“

Hyuk laughed „Hongbin has warned you let’s-„
Suddenly Taekwoon’s phone rang again.

„…I’ll kill him“ he mumbled as he grabbed his phone. As soon as he read the name on the display he excused himself and wen out of the bedroom.

Hyuk and Hongbin exchanged a confused look and both male shrugged their shoulders.

It took a while until Taekwoon came back. He seemed to be replaced by another Taekwoon. The look in his eyes wasn’t playful anymore, it was dead serious and slightly angry.

„Did something happen?“ Hongbin asked carefully and Taekwoon sighed deeply as he let himself drop on the couch next to Hongbin.

„Well, my beloved mother seems to be drunk and called me to tell me how much fun she has“ he answered.

„Oh..“ Hyuk said „Wanna talk about it or better distract you?“ he asked.

„Distraction, please“ Taekwoon answered.

„How about karaoke? You said that you like to sing“ Hyuk suggested.

„Perfect“ Taekwoon answered.

„You also okay with that?“ he asked Hongbin.

„Well, I don’t think of me that I’m the best singer but it’s fun so let’s do it!“ he said motivated.

Taekwoon had to admit that he hadn’t had so much fun for a long time and that he was happy that he met Jaemi, Hyuk and Hongbin.
Even though Hyuk and he have to see how living together will turn out, since both of them had always been only-children but Taekwoon is looking forward to it. And Hongbin, well, he is still making Taekwoon feel weird but in a positive way. He hadn’t felt the way he did for, like, forever and it makes him a bit scared. He wasn’t sure if he could call the feeling he felt ‚falling for Hongbin‘. Even when Taekwoon was a person who believed in love at first sight, he was unsure about that certain feeling. Did it really meant that he was falling for him? For a guy? And what if Hongbin didn’t liked him back? Will he even tell Hongbin how he felt like? He didn’t know yet and he was sure that he will wait and see what the future brings.

Meanwhile Hyuk had started the karaoke and Taekwoon was looking through the book with song titles.
He picked one and told Hyuk the number. He had chosen a ballad, since he could put all his feelings into it while singing.
Taekwoon felt nervous, he didn’t sang on front of people often and he was afraid of their reaction. The music started and he took deep and long breaths,
making himself ready in his mind to start singing the song. And he did.

 

 


"Sometimes, there are those days
When I miss you even more
I can’t explain any more, I’m fall in love
Like a boy in love
The more time passes, I lose my rationale"

 


Taekwoon slowly closed his eyes to let himself sink into the song and to put everything he got into it.

 

 

"I only want to be with you
I only want to hug you
I don’t care about other’s eyes
As if we’re alone right now"

 

 


He continued singing the ballad with all his passion until the last words left his lips and his voice became more quite and soft.
When the music stopped he opened his eyes and was met by Hongbin’s and Hyuk’s big eyes that were looking at him.
Taekwoon frowned, was he so bad?

"What?" He asked confused.

"Y-Your voice is.. amazing." Jaemi’s voice suddenly appeared and caught the attention of the teenagers.

Jaemi and Taekwoon’s father were standing in the doorway, looking at them, while Jaemi looked touched and amazed and Taekwoon’s father's gaze was a mixture of dead serious and amazed.

„I don’t want to ruin the mood“ his father started speaking „but Taekwoon your mother wants you to return home immediately.“