May-Some Lessons Aren't Taught in Books

The Accident
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Well, that was lame. The date didn't even go as planned. That stupid Minho,” Jongin grumbled as he slumped in one of the chairs of the classroom as the other members stared at him and this new expression that he had never worn before. It was one of guilt, one of anger, one of desperate frustration over something that he had little control over.

“Whoa, somebody better call Snow White and tell her Grumpy the dwarf is missing because he's right here,” Sehun scoffed, flipping his hair to the side as he continued to observe Jongin's defeated state.

“You shut your mouth, maknae. I will come over there and punch you in the face. I'm not in the mood for jokes,” Jongin growled solemnly, causing the other to shudder at the sudden force from the usually cheerful and optimistic older male.

“I was just kidding, geez. Suho, he was being mean to me,” he whined, looking up to the leader with pleading eyes. Suho only shook his head.

“You deserved that one, but there will be no violence in this room,” he boomed authoritatively.

“Yeah, take it outside the room, Tao snickered.

“Tao, hush, okay, this is serious. You don't want another punishment do you?” Kris snapped, glaring halfheartedly at the other male who shrunk underneath the weight of his piercing stare. “Alright, so what went wrong? We're not going to spend all lunch meeting just yelling at each other and passing low blow jokes. So, what's up?” Kris asked, voice growing low with concern as he squatted down next to the tan male, who still wore the face of a failure.

“I messed it up. I could tell that all she was thinking of that night was Minho and how he worked there and how amazing he is. The night . The only memorable part was when we kissed,” Jongin sighed desperately.

“Wait, you guys kissed???” Baekhyun squealed as he clapped his hands together excitedly. “You should have just said that! Oh. My. God. I want all the details now!” he exclaimed. Jongin averted his eyes from the overly excited elder, wondering how it was possible that he was, in fact, older than himself.

“You have to excuse him. He's just a little too into the chick flick type romance. He thinks everything should be worked out like a Korean drama. He's a little odd,” Sehun tutted, flipping his hair as the elder male settled down and shot a soul piercing glare. The youngest merely shrugged at the failed attempt at being threatening.

“Anyhow, that's good. You two kissed, which means it's a start, but there is one very important question; did she kiss you or did you kiss her?” Suho asked expectantly.

“Well, we kissed twice and we both kinda kissed each other. What does this have to do with anything, especially beating Minho?” Jongin asked skeptically.

“Ah, that's great! That means she likes you, too. She wouldn't voluntarily kiss you is she didn't like it. This is great news! I think we can actually fulfill this goal!” Suho exclaimed joyously.

“What do you mean we, hyung? Your time helping him is over. It's my month now,” Lay piped up from the back of the classroom, where he was slumped in a chair, staring out of the window at the fluttering birds.

“Pfft, how is it your turn? I bet you forgot what month it is, Mr. Forgetful,” Sehun scoffed.

“I think I can help him and leave me alone, you little punk,” Lay stated surprisingly calmly.

“Did you just call me a punk, you, the all gentle and all oblivious unicorn?” Sehun shot back. Lay simply nodded,his lips curling into an innocent smile, flashing his dimple at the irate maknae.

“Anyway, Jongin, I think I can help you get her mind back on you. All you have to do is take a part in her interest. You said she tutored, yes?”

“I'm surprised you could remember that much,” Sehun mumbled, rolling his eyes. Lay shot a pointed look at the disrespectful, younger male. Jongin simply nodded as Lay made his way up to him at the front of the classroom.

“Okay, good. She is one of the really kind females who like helping people and, since finals are coming up at the end of the month, you should ask her to tutor you. This way, you get one-on-one time with her, as well as learning more so that you can impress her with your scores. How does that sound?” Lay asked calmly. Jongin pondered all the scenarios that he could carry out if he did so- cuddling with a chemistry book between them as they drank soda or lemonade. Just the thoughts of such a sweet scene forced a smile on the younger male's face. “I take it that you like it. Good, so, after this meeting, find her and ask her to tutor you in three different subjects. One that you know extremely well, one that you struggle in and one that she likes. No matter what subjects they are, you are bound to keep her attention all the time focused on you. Got it?” Jongin nodded earnestly just as the bell rang. “Good. Now get out there and good luck, friend,” Lay grinned, patting him on the back before returning to the back to get his things. “Remember what I said!” he called as Jongin made his way out of the door and into the hall to find you.

“He will. Too bad you can't remember what you said,” Sehun snarled as he brushed by him, only to get smacked in the head by a disapproving Suho.

 

 

“Ah, hi, Jongin. How was the club meeting?” you asked enthusiastically once you finally caught up to him after squeezing your way through the crowded hallway.

“Ah, it was fine. They had me talk all about the date we had,” he replied nervously, his voice cracking as he stood awkwardly before you. “I hope that was alright,” he added hastily after quickly scanning your face for any sign of approval or disapproval.

“It's fine. I'm flattered that I've become so popular in your club. Little ol' me isn't very popular,” you chuckled, grabbing for his hand, something that had become almost an instinct with you over the months. You found comfort in the skinship, in the warmth, in the easily provided affection that sparked between the two of you even with small gestures like that. You looked up to see him blushing wildly as he tried his best to keep his eyes off of you. “Honestly, silly. I'm not angry; I really don't mind if you talked about me. So, what did they say, at least?” you asked curiously as you strolled along.

“Well, they thought it was really lame that the date didn't go as planned, but I told them that you had a good time,” he answered honestly. “You did have a good time, right?” he asked insecurely.

“Of course, I did. It was really fun and sure, it didn't exactly go as planned, but it was still a great night. You're such an adorable gentleman and I'm glad I got to spend more time with you,” you grinned sweetly, stopping shortly to tip toe and peck at his cheek, causing him to gulp loudly. You only tittered at his nervous response.

“What's so funny?” he croaked.

“You are silly. How many times do I have to tell you that you don't have to be so nervous. I can guarantee you that I am one of the most easygoing girls here on campus. You really don't have to be so shy. C'mon, we've known each other for a while now. Relax,” you cooed as the two of you approached your next class. “Now, try to get your mind off of it and get to class. I really must hurry,” you smiled, giving him a quick hug before skipping away.

“Wait, _____________,” he called. You immediately stopped in your tracks to turn to look at him, curiosity riddling your face. Soon, he was dashing towards you just as the two minute bell rang.

“Yes, Jongin? I really have to go. My class is on the other side of the world,” you reminded him.

“Ah, I'm sorry. I just wanted to know if you could tutor me sometime. I know that finals are coming up and you tutor people. I really need to get my grades for the end of the year. Please,” he pleaded.

“Oh, of course. When do you want to start?” you asked, forgetting all about the rushing students and barking teachers reminding your peers to get to class. The world slowed as you stared at each other, lost in each other's gaze. “Jongin?” you asked again, snapping your fingers as you realized that time was ticking by.

“Whenever is okay with you,” he responded meekly, surprised that you were allowing him to choose.

“Well, I'm going to dinner with my family tonight so can you come over tomorrow? I know it's a Saturday, but we can make it shorter than usual,” you asked. He nodded sweetly, biting his bottom lip as he was close to exploding with an excitement you would never see.

“Great, I'll see you tomorrow then. Bring all the books you need to as well. Bye, Jongin,” you grinned, just as the tardy bell rang.

“Oh, I'm sorry. Are you going to be late now?” he asked.

“Ah, it's fine. Mr. G likes me anyhow. You should really be getting to class since you're late, too,” you reminded him, nodding your head in the direction of his classroom, the door locked. He sighed as he noticed that he wouldn't be able to get back in.

“It's fine, I can walk you to class if you'd like,” he offered, grabbing for your hand.

“But, your class is right there and you really don't want to get detention for being so late, do you?” you asked innocently.

“It's worth it. I don't want you roaming the halls alone when no one is around. Plus, what's the point? I'm already late. What's a few more minutes going to do to me?” he chuckled pulling you along. In the moments that followed, it was just the two of you, strolling along, enjoying each other's company, completely ignoring the world around you. You didn't mind the quiet ticks of the clock or the noisy classrooms you passed; all you cared about was being with him, savoring each second as if it were your last. You hated to admit to yourself, but you didn't want to leave, didn't want to go to class, just wanted to be there with him, living in a moment that was ticking by much too quickly. Honestly, you wouldn't mind if you both got detention- you hated going to dinner with your family anyhow.

“Are you going to be okay without me?” he asked smugly as he stood with you outside the door of your classroom, his hands clasped tightly around your own.

“I think I'll manage,” you retorted, sticking your tongue out at him. He thumped you lightly on the forehead. “Hey, that hurt!” you growled sarcastically.

“Sorry, not sorry,” he teased. You merely pouted, throwing your arms over your chest and pursing your lips.

“Ah, I'm sorry, come here, you big baby. You know that I don't want to leave you either, right?” he whispered as he pulled you in for a tight, comforting hug.

“Thank you,” you murmured. “Thanks for walking me to class. Hope you don't get into too much trouble,” you sighed, pulling away from the hug, though your body protested angrily against it.

“Like I said, it was worth it. If I go to detention, I'll just be thinking of you,” he smirked, bending down to give you another quick kiss on the cheek before departing. As he walked down the desolate hallway, you couldn't help but to stare at the way his form disappeared from sight, a form of grace, of inner as well as outward beauty and of sweet compassion. Your heart threatened to flutter out of its cage as thoughts of being in detention with him bombarded your brain, though you did nothing to stop it. You sighed deeply, realizing that you were slowly falling for him and there was no way out. You decided to finally turn to the door of your classroom, trying desperately to get your mind off of him before entering the classroom, though you knew you wouldn't be in trouble. You glanced into the classroom, noticing some of your friends working diligently away at worksheets placed before them. Hmmm, that's odd, Mr. G never gives out worksheets. I guess he must not be feeling too well and doesn't want to lecture you thought as you reached for the handle of the door. Once you opened it, you froze solid as the dozens of eyes fell upon you, including the teacher's.

“,” you cursed loudly. The sub looked at you, flabbergasted.

“Ah, well you must be _____________. So nice of you to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter