April- Money Isn't the Only Thing That's Green

The Accident
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “So, gramps, what are you going to have me do, now?” Jongin asked nonchalantly as he slumped in his wooden chair, arm slung over the back carelessly as he stared up at the older and shy male at the club meeting the next week.

“First off, I will have you stop calling me gramps. I may be just a little older than you, but I am still as lively as the others,” Suho scoffed indignantly. “Do you want me to help you or not, lover boy?” he snarled only half heartedly.

“Ah, yeah, you're lively. Why don't you tell him how you like to play golf on the weekends in your khaki pants and your sweater vests. Yeah, that's always fun,” Chanyeol piped up, eliciting a collective snicker from the rest of the group, including Jongin and Kris, who always supported the fellow co-president.

“That's beside the point and shouldn't you be making out with Baekhyun? We went over this last week. Leave me alone,” he shot back, flipping his hair to the side, trying desperately to regain his somewhat cool composure, which was dwindling by the second. “Anyhow, I'm not even going to bother taking you outside to tell you what to do, Jongin,”he began.

“That's because you can barely walk there, old man,” Sehun shouted from the back of the room, smirking arrogantly at the elder. Suho only huffed as the entire room erupted into a low “Ooooh,” at the remark.

“No, it's not that. Thank you, Sehun,” Suho growled caustically. “At least I have already gone through puberty,” he added sassily, causing the other spectators in the room to sound off an “Ooooh” once more at the burning remark. “Anyhow, Jongin, there is an easy way to approach this problem. She's a girl and girls love guys with money. Just do something really expensive for her and she'll be eating out of your golden hands,” he shrugged as if everyone was blessed with as much as affluence as him. The only person who was even close was Luhan and even he didn't have that type of money to burn and neither did Jongin, who's mother was struggling both with adjusting to America and getting a job. Not only that, Jongin did not completely feel comfortable with his plan, knowing that something this superficial would never work unless he truly showed that you meant much more to him than a simple bet. Over the months, Jongin fell deeper and deeper in love with you, growing more and meore desperate every second that he was not with you. You were more than just a friendly face to him. He hadn't known it then, but he had actually meant what he had said when he first stuck the bet with you. True, he could not think of an original way to make you his, but he knew this was more than likely not the most appropriate way to do so.

“So, you want me to buy her, is that it?” he asked curiously. Suho didn't even flinch.

“No, it's nothing like that. You're not buying her because she's not a toy that you can play with and buy like that. No, it's not like that at all. It's just that if you put a little effort into making an extravagant evening for her or something like that, making sure that money is no issue to you, she will appreciate it, I guarantee,” he explained as best he could.

“Well, what do you call an extravagant evening and how do you expect me to pay for all of this? You do remember I just moved here not too long ago, correct?” he asked, worry creeping into his voice as he thought of how he would implement the plan while also showing that you were not an item at all to him, but the girl who was slowly burrowing your way into his heart unknowingly.

“Oh, I don't expect you to pay for anything. She only needs your time, that's the only thing, promise. I could pay for everything for you, no worries,” the other shrugged carelessly, always eager to spend the large sums of money at his disposal.

“Always wanting to spend your money and show off how much richer you are than us, huh, gramps? Sounds like an old person move to me,” Tao jeered, rolling his eyes.

“No, I just want to do something nice for him. Geez, guys,” he replied earnestly. “Anyhow, well, I could buy out the theater for the night, you know, the one with the really nice chairs and the really awesome screens, and have someone cater to you both for dinner. All you have to do is just take all the credit,” he added, noticing Jongin's wide eyes and expectant stare. “Does that sound good to you?” Jongin nodded fervently, his blood warming with excitement at the plan. Though he felt a pang of regret for knowing that he would be stealing credit from the kind, gentle Suho, he warmed up to the idea, playing out several scenes of what he wanted to happen in his mind- his arm around you, your soft hair tickling his neck as you rested your head on his shoulder as you peered up at him with your sparkling and innocent eyes as the movie played in the background, fading away as you focused only on each other.

“Wow, are you really okay with all of this, especially me taking all of the credit?” Jongin asked, the pang growing as the scenes playing in his mind grew more and more romantic and heart warming.

“Of course I am. I am a leader and I am used to making sacrifices. As long as this helps you reach your goal, I have reached mine and I am happy as long as you are happy,” Suho smiled sweetly, meaning every word, making Jongin grin shyly at the generosity. He was never accustomed to such benevolence, always being the one that made the sacrifices for other people- letting his friends snag his crushes because he saw how much they yearned after them, having to work back in Korea to help his mother put food on the table, having to take time away from his busy schedule to tutor others that were not as gifted as he was in English and history. Now, he would not take a sacrifice. Now, he was actually chasing after and determined to reach his goal, you.

“Oh, someone give you an Oscar for that dramatic speech,” Chen drawled sarcastically, rolling his eyes and starting a slow clap. “Just help the poor lover boy and stop all the drama,” he added, earning nods of agreement and smirks from the other members. Suho ignored their jeers.

“Anyhow, I'm glad that you agree. So, this Friday, you will take her to the movies and everything there will be just for the two of you. Don't worry about anything. Just have fun. I will rent the theater for as long as you need, starting at 5. Don't worry about anything. I'm here to help you, promise,” Suho assured him just as the bell rang. Jongin slowly rose to his feet, somewhat frozen with disbelief at his circumstances and his luck for knowing such a kind leader, taking his stuff carefully in his arms as the other members filed out of the classroom, save for Kris and Suho. He glanced up at the still smiling and angelic Suho, who simply nodded before Jongin turned away and walked towards the door. As you stood waiting for him, ignoring the quick glances from the other members, he turned back to look at Suho.

“Have fun, remember, Friday!” he called back as Jongin gave a firm nod, though his cheeks burned red, and turned back to you.

“So, what's going on Friday?” you asked cheerfully, in a relatively good mood for it being a Monday.

“Ah, about that, how would you like to.... maybe go on a date with me... on Friday?” he asked nervously, his palms starting to sweat.

“Sure, where? When?” you asked, genuinely interested in whatever plans he had made since you never had much to do with your days after your homework was completed.

“The movies, at 5. We can have dinner there and everything,” he answered slowly, studying your face for any sign of positivity or objection.

“Dinner at the movies? Never done that before, but yeah, it sounds fun. I never have anything going on anyhow,” you shrugged, bright smile plastering your face as you both walked to your next class. He said not a word. “Are you okay, Jongin? You look a little nervous. I said yes already. Calm down,” you urged, grabbing for his hand, making his heart thump louder within his chest that felt as if it were constricting with every breath he took. His fingers danced over yours as he tried to calm himself down, not sure why he was so nervous since he had always displayed such confidence with you before. Then again, he had never gone on a real date with you before. Though he had acted as if everything would go swell with you two, he had never accounted for the awkwardness that he was sure would arise with just the two of you alone. “Jongin?” you asked, trying to break him from the shell he had huddled inside of. His head jolted so that he was looking at you, staring deeply into your eyes, expression otherwise blank. You started feeling uncomfortable. “Jongin?” you choked out once more.

“Sorry, it's just that I didn't think that you would actually say yes. It's so strange to me, but I'm actually nervous about all of this,” he admitted, deciding it would be easier to confess his insecurity rather than conceal it and hope that you would not find out despite his obvious and awkward behavior.

“Ah, that's what all of this is about?” you chuckled, sighing a sigh of relief, knowing that you weren't actually a problem. “Don't be silly. We're going to have fun and you won't have to feel so nervous. It's really no big deal,” you assured him, squeezing his hand tighter, causing him to look back up at you with twinkling eyes of hope. You beamed back just as you reached the door to his classroom. “Don't be so nervous. I'm actually really happy that you asked. I haven't been to a movie in ages and you're a really fun guy. I'm looking forward to it,” you grinned, letting go of his hand, only to pull him into a deep hug. “But right now, you've got to get to class and so do I. Don't sweat it,” you whispered, pulling away to notice the pink tinge coloring his cheeks.

“O-Okay,” he croaked meekly as you skipped down the hall, desperate to make it to class on time.

Though you tried to focus on the schoolwork piled on your desk as your teacher droned on and on about the Gilded Age, a topic of United States history that you loved, all you could think of was how peculiar Jongin acted today. His light blush and adorably gummy grin replayed over and over in your mind like a broken movie reel. Why would he have to be so nervous about asking me to movies? I am just a friend after all. It's not like he should be scared of anything like that. What does he think is going to happen, anyhow?

“Corruption in politics and markets and industries. Capitalist billionaires were known as robber barons ,” your teacher mumbled.

He robbed my heart, that's for sure. Wait, what do I even expect to happen? It's not like this is some romantic chick flick where he'll put his arm around me and we'll stare into each other's eyes and fall in love on the spot. I don't even know what love is. Maybe, we should watch a chick flick so I can find out. I'm feeling something, but I know that I can't be in love with him, you thought, staring out of the window as if the blue sky held the answers to the questions bombarding you.

“People knew the problems, but they would not address it until years, decades later.”

No, that's a problem. I can't possibly like this guy. I'm just his friend. though that he has to be so darn cute like he is. Little sack of . Aww, why am I being so mean? It's not his fault that he's so sweet like that and I like him.

“People would often think that everything was well and there was no problem instead of dealing with it head on. This is why it was called the Gilded Age.”

I don't have a problem. I don't like him, no, not at all. Not possible. It's so much harder to say that I like him, because I don't, than to just act like this isn't happening. Why me? You groaned mentally, physically frowning as you stared into space.

“Ms. Bae, cane you at least act like you're paying attention. I for one, think that this is a very important section and I know that this will be on your AP exam in a few months. Did you even hear a word I just said, or were you too preoccupied counting how many eggs the little birdie had in it's nest out there?” your teacher snapped, causing you to jump in your seat at the sudden attention and the vast amount of stares placed upon you.

“Of course I did,” you lied, hoping that she would be satisfied.

“Then recount what I just said,” she urged, tapping her foot as she impatiently awaited your response.

“You were talking about how people in this era would ignore the problems, of working conditions, of market and industy, of politics, to carry on with their normal lives. You talked something about how there were so many problems just under a thin surface of gold. In other words, people couldn't deal with their problems and distracted themselves so that they wouldn't have to deal with them,” you recited, every word oddly resonating with you as if this was exactly what you were feeling. It couldn't be. It wasn't, was it? Her eyes widened and her eyebr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter