What Do I Do Now

The Accident
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He stumbled in, tanned frappucino brown skin glistening smoothly with a sheer layer of sweat from his running earlier, his hair frazzled yet shining in the sunlight streaming from the windows, his beautiful dark brown eyes half lidded with exhaustion, and his broad, muscular chest heaving as he struggled for air, bent over with the weight of his satchel. You stared at him, wondering why he was so late to class and knowing that you had never seen him around the halls of your magnet high school before. He must be new you thought to yourself as you watched him struggle to find a seat. To your surprise, he took the seat next to you and beamed brightly despite his ragged breaths.

"Well, how nice of you to finally join us today- uh, what's your name, young man?" your teachers, Mr. West addressed the wretched boy who shot up out of his desk like a spring at the sound of his voice.

"Ah! Choesanghamnida (Sorry, formal/ to show deeper apology than Miyahnhae)," he managed, bowing awkwardly much to the laughter of the class. "My name is Kim Jongin. I am a transfer student from Korea," he added, huffing loudly but wanting to maintain a decent image. He looked down at you for support, making your heart beat of your chest at his cute stare. Why was he staring at you? You hadn't even said two words to him, but, you had to admit that you were glad that you were the only one so far that he trusted.

"Oh, that's nice. Well, if it's not too much trouble for you, can you come up to the front of the class and tell us a little about yourself. I understand from the other teachers that you don't understand English very well, but, that's no matter. We'd just like to hear a little bit more about you so we can welcome you to the family," Mr. West beamed in response, beckoning politely for him to walk to the front. With one last smile flashed your way, he slowly made his way to the front, eyes scanning the murmuring classroom for any other friendly faces. "Well, you can begin anytime you want. Just take your time," he added, smiling at the young boy to make him feel more comfortable in the foreign environment.

"Well, I'm Kim Jongin. I come from Korea which is... very different from here, America. I don't know many people here and I have no friends yet, but, I would like to learn much about your culture and make many friends," he managed, speaking slowly as he articulated the words in his mind, trying desperately to sound coherent, let alone create a cool image for himself.

"That's very nice. I think that you will be able to make very many friends while you're here. For one, the girl you sit next to there," he pointed to you, making you blush and wish that you could slam your head down on the desk since you were never one for attention, "__________, is very friendly and will be glad to help you with anything that you need. Also, the rest of these kids are also very kind. You will do just fine," he assured him. "Now, go on back to your seat and then we can begin the lesson. Lucky for you, this is the first day of AP Chemistry. You will do just fine, Jongin." The timid boy did as he was told and made his way back to his seat, back to you. Throughout the lesson, you noticed that he would glance your way, a light blush crawling over his cheeks when your eyes met. You wondered about him, about what kind of person he was, about his family, about his hobbies and how he expected to get along in this new land. Deciding to take the initiative like the helpful social butterfly that you were, you decided to quickly scribble out a note for the new student, hoping that your gesture would at least make him feel like he had a friend. This will either make him feel comfortable or, make me look like a total creeper. Not my fault that he's so beautiful but, I think he'll see the friendliness behind this you thought as you threw out your learned vernacular you had gained over the years of taking advanced English classes and replaced it with simple but effective words that you knew he had to understand.

 

Hi there, Jongin. I'm _________ and it's nice to meet you. I hope that you have a wondeful next year and a half here and, if you need the help, I would be glad to be your guide for the rest of the day and show you around this school. I'll be seeing you around ^^

 

Stealthily, you slipped him the heartfelt note and watched his reaction only to see his face light up with glee at your words. At least he understood. Aww, he's so cute. It's really just a note and he acts like I just gave him gold...or chocolate.. That's gold in itself you thought, digressing as you heard your stomach growling though it was only ten in the morning. Upon hearing the wolves in your stomach and still excited over the note, he looked over to you and smiled mirthfully, his eyes turning into sparkling crescent moons and his teeth gleaming a pearly white.

"Thank you," he whispered softly, making it even harder for you to understand his words of gratitude with his thick accent. Either way, you smiled back, nodding your head in reassurance.

"Excuse me, _______, but can you and Jongin talk after class. You should know from last year that you have a reputation to uphold in this class. Please pay attention," Mr. West snapped, sounding exceedingly polite with his gentle voice, something that you had grown accustomed to over the last two years. You nodded back, knowing that he was serious and that you had to prove yourself this year.

"I'm sorry," Jongin piped up, loud enough for the whole class to hear and turn their eyes his way. He blushed under the weight of all the eyes on him but bit his lower lip as he glanced at you, sincerely sorry for getting you into trouble. You reached over to pat his shoulder lightly, silently telling him that it was alright as the other kids burst into stifled snickering and laughter. Mr. West only cocked his head in surprise but smiled kindly shortly after before nodding and returning back to the lesson. The remaining sixty minutes passed with Jongin shyly glancing over to you, his own heart beating loudly. You tried your best to focus on the lesson but he was much more of a distraction that you would have liked to admit. Briiiiiiiiiinnnnggggg the bell startled you out of your diligent note-taking. As you stood to pack up your things, he stood awkwardly beside you, waiting until you were done to try to gain your attention.

"Uh-uh, _________, can you still be my guide and show me around the school? I could use the help. I'm so sorry," he blabbered, bending down into a cute and nervous bow as if he were a disturbance to you.

"Oh, no problem, Jongin. Well, it's lunch now so, if you would like, you could hang with me and I can show you some of the open clubs around here so you can meet even more people," you suggested, grabbing his wrist and smiling gently. He nodded slowly, looking down at your hand wrapped gently around his wrist. He blushed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't have done that," you apologized genuinely, retreating your hand and nodding towards the door, gesturing for him to follow you out. He did. "Bye, Mr. West!" you called before the two of you were walking down the hall and to the cafeteria. You didn't see it but he only smiled back in response, shaking his head as he smirked.

"It's simply meant to be with those two. They're just an accident waiting to happen," he huffed to himself as he sat at his desk and proceeded to grade summer assignments.

 

 

 

"I know the food isn't that great here- nothing like the delicious Korean food- but, it's something," you chuckled as the two of you walked around the campus, hands full with respective lunch trays of slop and mystery meat. "So, do you want me to walk you around to all the club meetings that open today? Don't worry, anyone can join any club so you'll fit right in," you grinned. He nodded silently, just enjoying being by your side. "Well, this one is the EXO club. I think that you will like this more than any of the other clubs I mentioned since it has to do with your culture. In here, they discuss Korean music, culture, style, food, everything," you informed him after you had passed by all the other clubs and finally made it to this one. "So, what do you say?" you asked, nodding your head at the wide open door. "Even better, there's mostly guys in there so you don't have to worry about being so nervous," you added. He looked at the room of laughing boys that was decorated in Korean flags, posters, and miscellaneous trinkets then back at you as if you were his caretaker. "It's okay, go on ahead. I'll m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter