July-Do You Like It

The Accident
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey, Jongin, my mom is letting me throw a Fourth of July party/barbeque and you're definitely invited. You can even bring the other members of the EXO club; they sound awesome, so would you wanna come?

 

Hey,_________ :) Can I really? That sounds amazing. I'm definitely coming. Do I need to bring anything special?

 

Swim gear, towels, and extra clothes is fine. We have all the food anyone can ever eat. My mom likes to go overboard with this type of thing.

 

You have a pool? :O Daebak!

 

Haha, yea, we do. I never showed you? But yeah, just bring normal swimming stuff and the rest, we will take care of. It would be really nice if you could come a little earlier to help barbeque, if you don't mind. ^^

 

Of course, of course, what time do you need me to get there? When does the actual party start?

 

You can come any time after 10 and the actual party just kind of starts when it starts. I told everyone to come at like 1 though. :/

 

That's fine. I can be there by 11. I have to wake up, you know XD But I would love to come and help you guys out. All the more time with you, the better. :)

 

Aww, you're sweet ^^ But thanks so much. You're the best! :D

 

I know ;)

 

Whatever, dork. I have to get back to my chores. Just wanted to tell you before I got distracted and forgot.

 

How on Earth could you ever forget about me ;)

 

Simple. Like this, when I get back to chores. Bye~ ^^

 

Bye :)

 

 

Not wanting to return to your chores after such a sweet conversation, you flopped back on your bed, broom twirling out of your hand and dropping to the floor as you stared up at the ceiling, thinking. It had been a few days or even a couple of weeks since you and Jongin had had the relationship defining talk. True, you were not completely sure what you were, despite the butterflies that swarmed through your stomach every time you even made contact with him, but you knew that you liked having the burden of lying lifted from you. He rolled over on his bed and propped himself on his elbow, staring out the window, only hoping to see your face. His heart raced and his breathing hitched as he thought about all the fun the two of you could have in the next few days. He peered at the clock on the wall, wishing that time would stop and that summer would roll on forever just so he could continue to be with you and get closer to you. Though he wanted so much more, he was more than content with waiting on your feelings, wishing that they would turn out in his favor. Bored and searching for answers, he decided to pull out his phone again and text someone he hoped would be able to help.

 

 

Yo, Kris-hyung, I have a new problem.

 

What is it, little dude? :P

 

Who are you calling littler? I'm actually quite tall. Sorry I'm not a giant like your twin tower, Chanyeol. Anyway, got a problem and I need some help.

 

Yeah?

 

So, ____ invited me (and the rest of you dorks) to her Fourth of July party and she even wants me to get here early to help her cook, but 1. I have no idea how to barbeque and 2. What happens if I act like a dork and mess up? Idk, dude, with her, I always feel like I'm doing something wrong or foolish and I can't fix it.

 

Look, you're putting way too much thought into this. You just need to relax and be cool. Being cool isn't even an act if you have the right confidence. Think about what Lulu told you and just take that and morph it with moderate nonchalance about what you look like to other people, including her, and you're cool. Girls love it when guys just take it easy. She doesn't want to feel like she is stressing you out so don't act like it.

 

But is it really that simple?

 

Who said it was hard? Just look at me; I do it all the time and I never seem to struggle with it. Why do you think I am always beating girls off with a stick? Because they love the cool side of me.

 

And then they see that you're actually a big softie with more than a soft spot for Suho :P

 

They never even get that far and who said I have a soft spot for Suho. I'm as straight as an uncooked noodle. XP

 

Yeah, only if that noodle is ramen :P Anyway, aside from your obvious crush for the other leader, how do you expect me to just act cool?

 

BE cool, not ACT cool. That's the first point and just take it easy. Don't think about how you could mess up. Just think about all the ways that you could like save the day or something. Idk, once you get in the mindset, it'll be pretty easy. She already likes you, so that should be even easier for you. Just think about how she likes you and you can't mess up because no matter what, she will love you still.

 

That sounds hard. You know how shy I am.

 

Shy? Says the one who made a bet that he could get her to fall in love with him by the end of the year in... five more months. Or the one that danced his heart out for her in front of pretty much the whole school. Sure, the shy one. Anyway, don't worry, I'll be there to give you pointers. When is this party? I'll tell the others.

Just show up around 1 or so. It's kinda like a kickback so there's no real start time. Also, tell the others to bring swim gear because it's a pool party :D

 

Oh, well hot damn, looks like I'll be on the prowl for pretty girls in bikinis ;)

 

Just don't even look at my girl -__-

 

Oh, so she's your girl now? Well, that escalated quickly. Oh yeah, you're definitely the shy one :P

 

I didn't mean it that way...

 

Sure you didn't XD Anyway, don't worry, I wouldn't be helping you if I wanted her. She's your girl ;) Anyway, gotta go, I have work soon. Talk to you later and I'll tell the others.

 

KK, bye and thanks so much, hyung. ^^ You're not that bad (unlike what Channie says XD)

 

What? He said what? That punk -__-

 

Bye hyung~ :P

 

 

“Darling, do you wanna come here and help with these decorations? These things are a pain in the to hang by myself,” you mother called from outside as you popped the cupcakes and pound cake into the oven. You trotted outside and began hoisting the bright, red and blue streamers as she taped them to the overhead board of wood. “So, when is that nice Jongin friend of yours supposed to come over? You know I won't be doing all the cooking,” she scoffed, nudging you in the shoulder.

“What cooking? You don't cook. I'm the one in this household that does. You're always busy, but he'll get here when he gets here. I told him to come anytime before one,” you replied, shrugging as the two of you finished hanging the streamers.

“I cook... sometimes,” your mother refuted pridefully.

“Mother, the microwave and the convection oven don't count,” you sighed, shaking your head subtly. She cracked a smile.

“Whatever, they make food, no?”

“Not the point.”

“Anyway, so what's going on with you and that Jongin boy? He seems nice and he might have a thing for you,” she giggled as your face turned bright red at the mention of your crush.

“Nothing, he's just a friend of mine,” you lied, heart breaking at the obvious lie and pain of thinking if the two of you were truly platonic friends.

“Are you sure that he's just a friend? I think he has some romantic feelings for you and I can't say that I don't approve. He is an excellent boy with a nice mother and attitude. I think he would be good for you, someone to take care of you and protect you from whatever,” she insisted, scuttling back to the table to string red and silver fringe around it.

“I can protect myself. Did you forget that you send me off to Taekwondo every Thursday?” you reminded her.

“That's not what I meant. I meant protect you from other guys who aren't any good for you. You're gonna be a senior next year and you will meet some very confusing, possibly douchey, guys and you need to be prepared. I don't want you falling for a stoner, or a bully or someone who will end up breaking your heart. If you ask me, I think Jongin is perfect for you,” she elaborated.

“You say that about all of my guyfriends,” you mumbled.

“I do not! But honestly, I think that Jongin is good for you. If you don't like him back, that's perfectly fine, but if I were you, I would keep him close to you. People with pure intentions like that are hard to find nowadays,” she sighed just as your phone buzzed violently in your pocket. You quickly took out your phone and answered it without thinking or checking the number.

“Ah, hi, Jongin. Are you here? Oh good, I'll be right there to let you inor you can come in through the back gate. Kk, hold on,” you rambled. “He's here,” you whispered to your mom, who now busied herself with folding the patriotic flag napkins. “Hi, Jongin,” you squealed happily as you stepped from behind the house to wave at him as he stood awkwardly at your front door.

“Hi,_____,” he replied sweetly, rushing over to you to swoop you in a warm embrace. “I didn't come too late, did I?” he asked, worried.

“No, no, silly. My mom and I were just finishing decorating the backyard. Check it out,” you answered, leading him to the back.

“Hello Mrs. Kim. You did a great job decorating. It looks amazing,” he complimented sincerely.

“I helped!” you interjected haughtily.

“Not enough,” your mother scoffed. “Hello, there, Jongin, you are free to go inside. Everything is just about done back here and in about half an hour, we'll fire up the grill since the party doesn't start for some time now,” she greeted him warmly. “______, let him put his stuff in your room. He can pick it up afterward. I just don't want it to get lost or stolen,” she ordered, shooing the two of you into the house.

“Well, this is my room. Don't mind the mess. I know, I have papers everywhere. It's a small room,” you sighed as you cracked open the door slowly, Jongin standing behind you, anticipating what he would see.

“Wow,” was all he managed as he stared at the posters plastering your walls.

“Yeah, warned you,” you muttered, embarrassed, rubbing the back of your head.

“No, it's not that. This isn't even messy, but what's with all the posters?” he asked, studying the faces of all of them. “Do you really like this many bands?” he asked, still in awe as he threw his backpack of clothes on your bed.

“Uh, yeah, I'm what they call a multifandom Kpop fan. I got most of them as gifts, but some, I just had to buy. I just really like Kpop,” you replied.

“But why? What's so special about them?” he inquired, standing before a VIXX poster, judging every last one of the six members.

“Well, they're cute and they make awesome songs. Kpop gets me through a lot of hard stuff that I have to deal with. All I have to do is put on a song and it'll suddenly change my mood and I will forget any troubles that I have- if only for a bit. It's worth it. Sure, all these posters and merchandise are expensive, but it shows my support for them just as they secretly support me when times get hard,” you sighed, flopping down on your bed to observe him still staring. “I bet you think I'm crazy obsessed now or something, don't you?”

“No, it's not that. I guess I'm just a little disappointed, really,” he responded.

“Disappointed? Why?” you asked curiously.

“Because I'm not the only one who can put a smile on your face. I want to make you as happy as they make you. Sure, I know I will never be the only one that makes you happy, and I don't really want to be, but I do want to be the most important one that does,” he answered, turning to sit with you.

“Wait, are you jealous of K-pop stars?” you asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked up at you, eyes wide with shame and slight hurt. “Jongin, that's just ridiculous. Unlike some other fangirls, I know the difference between reality and them and I know that it is damn near impossible for me to ever meet them, let alone get to know them enough to date or marry them. Would it be awesome? Yes, but it doesn't mean that that's all I want in life. I like reality and, of course, they help me through tough times, but I also have amazing approachable people in my life like you to help me, too, so you don't have to be hurt.”

“Are you sure? I don't even begin to compare to these guys,” he sighed, dejected, waving his hand at the flawless, two-dimensional men on your wall.

“Yes, I'm completely sure. Plus, believe me, if I had the choice between a star and you, I would definitely, without a doubt or second thought, choose you,” you reassured him, leaning over to peck him softly on the cheek.

“_______, do you really

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter