Kyungsoo x Amber #1

Amber Oneshots: SM Town Edition

Scenario: Amber and Kyungsoo are close siblings and have been exchanging letters ever sinse Amber left the house to pursue her dreams. (slice of life)

Story told in Kyungsoo's POV.


KyungBer: Letters

I impatiently waited in the heat for the mailman to make his stop at my house. I was expecting a letter from my Noona who moved out four years ago. I used my forearm to wipe the sweat from my forehead. Ah, it’s really hot today.

Down the street I saw the familiar uniform of the mailman slowly making his way to my house. Not able to keep still, I sprinted towards him. “Hyung!” I shouted to get his attention.

He looked up, using his hat to shield his eyes from the bright sunlight. “Ah, Kyungsoo, you’re early today.” He immediately looked into his bag, already knowing what I was going to ask him. He took a second to look inside to see if there were any letters addressed to me. He looked up, and a sad expression appeared on his face. “Sorry, no letter today.” My heart sank. How come? A letter comes every week on this day. Feeling my eyes already getting watery, I bit down on my lip to restrain myself.

The mailman suddenly bursted out in laughter. He pulled out a letter and tapped it on my head. “Just kidding.”

“It’s not funny,” I sniffled, trying to make him feel guilty for playing a joke like that; though it didn’t work because my excitement couldn’t be contained. “Thanks Hyung!” I dashed back to my house, allowing my sandals to fly off my feet before stepping into the house.

“Got a letter?” Mom called from the kitchen.

“Yeah!” I answered, practically leaping up the stairs to get to my room for some privacy. I took a seat on the floor near the opened window. The summer heat was showing no mercy this year. I carefully opened the envelope, making sure not to rip it. For four years Amber Noona and I have exchanged letters and I’ve kept every single one of them in perfect condition.

When she comes back I hope to show them to her. I bet she’ll be surprised that I took such good care of them. I hope she also keeps our letters.

Dear my squishy, crybaby dongsaeng.

Every letter always began with that greeting.

How are you doing this hot summer day? If my A/C ever gave up on me I think I’d melt to death. I don’t know what to write about today. I’m just sitting here, eating a popsicle. Oops! It dripped on the paper!

I spotted a splash of blue on the corner of the paper. I softly chuckled at her childishness of pointing out her mess. I continued reading.

See, it’s so hot that my popsicle is already melting! I just opened it, too. Not cool! Remember when we were kids and I’d always share my two popsicle stick thingy with you?

I remember perfectly. Mom didn’t want me to eat too many sugary things because I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night. But Noona would always sneak me one at night, and then stay with me until I fell asleep.

Well it’s been busy for me, but I’m happy that I decided to follow my dreams. Sometimes I would wonder if leaving home so early was a mistake.

That day was probably the worst day of my life. Out of nowhere you told mom and I that you were leaving to find work. I’m still surprised mom even agreed to such a thing. As you began to load your bags into the taxi I grabbed your arm and told you not to leave. You just gave me an ambivalent smile and pinched my cheeks to keep me from crying. Of course you could always tell when I was about to cry.

You bent down at my eye level and gave me a toothy grin. “We’ll write to each other. I promise,” you said. After that is kind of a blur. I just remember crying for days. I finally stopped crying when I received your first letter. All you wrote was, “Stop crying! You have a pretty face; crying too much will make your eyes red and give you dark circles!”

I then realized that these letters connected us together.

People often can’t make it on their own right after high school, so I think I got lucky.I worked really hard, and sometimes I didn’t get to sleep. It paid off though, and now I’m being promoted! It’s a position I’ve been wanting for a very long time now. Are you proud of me? Sadly, where I’m going means that we won’t be able to send letters to each other.

What?

So no need to reply to this one. Since this is the last letter I just wanted to say: I love the letters that you sent me. Sincerely, the best noona ever; aka: Amber.

I blinked a couple of times, not being able to fully understand what just happened. If we can’t send anymore letters than the only link I have with her will be broken. I looked over to the envelope and saw something sticking out of it. Noona usually only wrote one page. I timidly reached out for the envelope. A photo fell onto the floor. It was her.

It was the first time she had ever sent a photo. So this is what she looks like now. Thank goodness she hadn’t changed one bit. She had the same old boy-ish haircut, same old toothy grin, and same old sparkling eyes.

I may have made up my image of what she was like through the letters, but this person (though looking exactly the same) is different from the eighteen year old Amber I knew in my memories. She looked more mature, like an adult. At that moment she felt too distant.

Tears formed and ran down my cheeks. “This is the only thing I have…” I really did love my sister very much. I roughly patted my cheeks. I’m seventeen now, I can’t keep crying like this.

A sudden gust of wind blew into my room from the open window. “Oh no, the letter!” I gasped. The flimsy piece of paper floated in the air and nearly blew out the window. Luckily the wind quickly disappeared. The page landed on its back, revealing tiny writing.

Ah, I wonder if this is her way of teasing me. I probably would have never found those words if it was for that random gust of wind in the middle of the summer.

I’m home.

And so that night my sister came home.

“Yo, Kyungsoo, I’m home!” She shouted from the front door. I didn’t know what to do. It had been so long, so I remained frozen in place.

“Aw, I was thinking you would tackle me or something,” she laughed.

I took a deep breath, and then calmly walked toward her. Ah, we’re about the same height now. I grabbed onto her wrist with my eyes averted to the floor.

“Hm, what’s up?” she asked. I couldn’t hold back anymore, so I embraced her with my whole being. My tears began to fall again. Amber wrapped her arms around me to hug me back. “You were always such a sister’s boy,” she happily chimed.

Dinner was a little bit extravagant that night to celebrate Noona’s return. Mom cooked a huge meal, and dad came home from work early. It seemed that I was the only one surprised to see her back. Apparently our parents had been in on it the whole time. She will be commuting to her new workplace from home from here on.

She did a wonderful job at tricking me.

We’ll be sleeping on the floor in the living room with our blankets as cushioning lined up next to each other. We used to do this often during the summer because our rooms were always too hot on the second floor of the house.

“Ah, I forgot!” I exclaimed, running upstairs to grab something. I rushed back down and dived into my blanket to cover my whole body. “Here!” I stuck my arm out of the blanket while holding an enclosed envelope. Once I felt her take hold of it I announced, “Good night!”I heard the rustling of her opening the envelope.

This will be the last letter because my sister has come home.

Welcome home.


A/N: Ahhh! I know I still haven't uploaded a HunHanBer and HenBer oneshot yet >< 

But I hope you enjoyed this one! I was inspired by a manga that I randomly found yesterday ^^