o2.

Prisoner of Love
After freshening up, Baekhyun stepped outside and the scent of fresh coffee filled his nose. He made his way down, full of renewed eagerness and hope. There she was, the love of his life, busying herself with breakfast like he imagined. For years Baekhyun fantasized about mornings like this, how she would add a packet of sugar and dash of cream into his coffee, exactly how he liked it, and how he would move behind her secretly to wrap his arms around her waist. Then they would whisper sweet nothings and share a quick morning kiss.
 
But what was fantasy stayed fantasy. Reality didn't work that way.
 
"Good morning," he said, lightly pulling up a chair to sit. Baekhyun didn't even flinch when her back remained his only view. She set the steaming cup of coffee in front of him, as well as breakfast for that morning, before she picked up her purse sitting in the chair across him and made her way to the door.
 
"Where are you going?" He asked as she put on her shoes. She straightened up and gripped the strap of her purse tightly, head hanging. After a beat of silence, she was out the door, and Baekhyun's answer remained in the form of a short melody by the electronic lock on their door.
 
He kept on staring at the door, hoping within him that some part of her would feel sorry for him and come back. He waited and waited, but silence seemed to pull him in even deeper into the pit of insecurity and self-hate. With a sigh, Baekhyun downed his coffee and dumped breakfast into the chute. He returned to the bedroom immediately after, hoping to catch some of her lingering scent through the sheets.
 
As Baekhyun lay on his side of the bed, his fingers traced nonchalant patterns over the emptiness beside him. And he realised, again, that the emptiness wasn't in the bed, it was in his heart.
 
He exhaled loudly and rolled around to face the other side. He picked up his cellphone sitting on the nightstand only to see her again. The wallpaper of his phone was of them, back then they were still in high school, roughly four years ago. Putting that thought aside, he unlocked the phone and typed a message to her. If you need someone to pick you up later, call me. Or call Yixing. Don't trouble yourself with public transport. Be safe.
 
Baekhyun put his phone down knowing he wouldn't get a reply. For some reason, he couldn't get mad at her for behaving like this, much less could he blame her. Everything was his fault, really. He knocked her up at the most crucial year of high school, he ruined her future with his rash decision, he got their son killed in his own house, and he threatened his own wife in order to make her drop the divorce.
 
To put it simply, he was a monster.
 
***
 
"I want a divorce."
 
"What are you- A divorce? Why? I- I've been treating you well, I-"
 
"Did you forget, Byun Baekhyun? The real reason why I married you in the first place?" Baekhyun pursed his lips; he knew, but was there a need to put it out there so harshly?
 
"It was for the baby. You didn't think I actually loved you, did you? I sacrificed so much for the child, my freedom, my sleep, my grandmother, my future, for crying out loud! And you? What did you do? You killed your own son, Byun Baekhyun! You! It was all because of you! If you didn't keep those damned diamonds in the house they wouldn't have come in the first place! Now with the sole reason why I even married you gone, why else should I stay?"
 
She flung a folder at him, successfully smacking him in the chest as some of its contents spilled out and fluttered onto the floor. Baekhyun didn't even want to look at it. "Sign it."
 
"No."
 
"Sign it!"
 
"No I won't!"
 
She breathed heavily and screamed. "Baekhyun! Don't do this to me... Don't do this to me."
 
"Why are you giving up on me so easily? If it weren't for the baby we were still friends, right? We liked each other mutually, so why do you sound as if I'm a stranger trying to tie you down?"
 
"That Baekhyun is my friend. But this- this monster I am talking to right now is not. I'm leaving this place, sign the papers so I can come back and collect my things."
 
"I'm not signing it."
 
"You will once you think it over." She picked up her bag and strode to the door.
 
"You'll regret it if you step foot out that door. You will regret it."
 
"I've already started to regret since the day I let myself befriend you. I should've listened to those warnings. I should've known you'd ruin me in the end." With that, the front door slammed shut. The loud bang behind also came from within him. It was as if something exploded in him, and he felt the need to destroy the house he stood in to mirror what it was like in his heart.
 
He bent down and ripped the papers apart, before promptly hurling the pile at the row of antique vases that sat nearby. Everything fell and shattered, and Baekhyun felt a part of his heart break off and disintegrate. The chairs of the dining table flew all over the place, plates and silverware soon joined the mess.
 
Baekhyun sank to the floor, sobbing for the first time a long while. Despite letting all his anger and frustration out, there was still that ripping feeling in his chest. No amount of broken dishes nor flower vases could mimic the wreckage in his heart.
 
But the wreckage in his heart could not be compared to the destruction he had caused in her life.
 
***
 
Adjusting his jacket, Baekhyun took a deep breath and rang the bell. It took a while for the door to open, seeing as how the only resident was her grandmother. He knew this place would be the last place she would go to. She didn't want to worry her grandmother. The elderly woman smiled at the sight of him; a rare reaction, seeing as how many would take flight, or in her case, she would glare at him instead. He was invited in, and he took a seat on the couch.
 
"How is that girl? Behaving well?" The woman asked.
 
"Yes, she is. I just dropped her off at the shopping mall nearby, having a date with her friends. It's been a while since either of us came back, so I decided to visit. How is everything? Do you feel unwell anywhere? I can bring you for a check-up."
 
The woman chuckled, patting Baekhyun's knee. "I wonder what this granddaughter of mine has done to deserve you. I'm fine, dear, do tell her that too. I wouldn't want her to worry about me."
 
"Both of you are the same, she doesn't want to worry you too. And there really is no need for that, either. We're both living healthily. It's weird saying this myself but, she's happy with me. I'm taking good care of her, you don't have to worry about a thing, alright?"
 
"Thank you so much, Baekhyun. You've been the biggest blessing to us. You're the only one I can entrust her to without qualms. As long as she's with you, I can die without worries."
 
"Don't say that, you'll live to a ripe old age, you'll even see your great-grandchildren's birth." "That would be wonderful. When do you two plan on making one? It's been almost a year since the wedding, I am personally quite excited for the good news."
 
"We've thought about it," Baekhyun said, forcing out a smile despite the dull ache in his heart.
 
The woman laughed, happy to hear that. "You've won her heart, hopefully you'll win her body soon."
 
Baekhyun blushed despite himself. "Yes, hopefully."
 
"I know you'll take good care of her, Baekhyun. There's really no one else I can trust her with, you know? I'm so happy that she married you, I know you'll treat her like a princess."
 
"I will, don't worry." Baekhyun smiled. "Now, is there anything that needs fixing? Faulty light bulbs? Loose screws?"
 
"Yes, the light went out in the kitchen, I haven't had the chance to call the electrician yet."
 
"Don't waste your money on that. Next time, just call me and I'll fix everything for you."
 
"You have to babysit my granddaughter, and now you have to fix my light bulbs." The woman laughed. "Thank you so much, Baekhyun."
 
"It's nothing at all."
 
That evening, Baekhyun called her and said he had the papers signed. She told him it was for the best, and that she would come down immediately to collect the papers. At around eight, the electronic lock beeped a few times, before a short tune played and she stepped through the door. Baekhyun got up and led her to the only two chairs at the dining table; she didn't question the mess.
 
"Before I give you the papers, there's something I want you to listen to."
 
"Baekhyun, I don't have time for this-"
 
"Just listen. A few minutes of your time. I beg you."
 
She stared at him and sighed. "Alright."
 
Baekhyun took out his phone and began playing the recording. Her eyes widened at her grandmother's voice, and she made a move to stand up, but Baekhyun forced her down by the shoulders. As she listened on, Baekhyun felt her shoulders tremble.
 
He didn't want to go this far. He didn't want to wage this psychological war against the woman he loved most. But Baekhyun was too selfish to let her go. A second chance to prove her wrong was all he wanted, and if doing this would make her stay, then so be it.
 
The recording ended, and Baekhyun took a deep breath. "So, do you still want that divorce?"
 
A sob escaped her lips. "I can't believe you."
 
"Answer me." She stood up and flung his hands away from her. It had been a while since he saw such fury and hatred in her eyes. "I will never love you, Byun Baekhyun. Never."
 
***
 
His cellphone buzzed and Baekhyun quickly picked it up. His chest deflated at the caller ID, but he brought the phone to his ear anyway. "Hello?"
 
"Duty calls, Baekhyun. House of Venus, right now. I'm downstairs." Baekhyun went to change and stuffed his phone into his pocket before rushing out. He climbed into the car and it pulled out of the driveway.
 
"So?"
 
"Monkey King is pulling out."
 
"What? We had a deal! We signed the contract!"
 
"Recently a few of his gambling dens got busted, and he lost quite a bit with that. He wants to lay low for now, stay out of the police's radar."
 
"The dealers are pressing me for this batch, if I have no supplier, they'll make noise. Kang has another contract with me, and if he doesn't get the goods I promised him, he has the right to call it off. We cannot afford that."
 
"I know, that's why you have to convince him later. He's easily swayed, just give him a few drinks and talk a little bit and it's likely he'll keep the deal."
 
Baekhyun sighed. "Why such a dirty place? What more in broad daylight."
 
"Hey, it's your own place. And besides, Monkey King likes the women you bring in."
 
"He has a stupid name. Remind me to tell him that."
 
The den was closed and disguised as a barber shop during the day. The employees working at the barber knew the double identity of this place. Number One never came down to visit personally, so they knew he must be meeting someone important. Baekhyun went straight for the back room and unlocked the door that read Storage Closet. But instead of brooms and mops, it was a staircase that led to the basement.
 
He made his way past the graffiti covered walls. The underground pub ion den was almost empty, save for a few employees polishing glasses. The girls are either still sleeping or working their second job. Baekhyun didn't need to know. Yixing told him to turn left to the third door.
 
Monkey King was already there with one of the den's girls by his side. He greeted Baekhyun with a smile, promptly offering a handshake. Baekhyun was hesitant in accepting, who knows what dirty things that hand has touched. But if Baekhyun wanted to convince the man into agreeing to his terms, it wouldn't be in his favor to reject it.
 
"Leave us," Baekhyun said to the girl. She didn't try to disobey her boss. "So I heard about the dens. What happened?"
 
"Ah, long story. And painful to recount, a few hundred thousand." The man sighed. "Since you already know that, I assume you know the reason why I'm pulling out."
 
"I know, staying low." One of Baekhyun's men poured them both glasses of wine at his command. They shared a small toast before Baekhyun took a tiny sip. "But what I don't understand is what happened to your guts. Little things like busted dens would never faze you. What really happened?"
 
"You see right through me. And I should be worried, seeing as how you have the power to crush whatever I have overnight." Baekhyun just smiled. "The dens are part of the reason. But I have a bigger problem. I have a client who is ridiculously unreasonable, but he pays good money. A few days ago he demanded double the amount of ice. I have the amount, but only enough to supply him. I told him no, obviously, I had other contracts, meaning you. But he- ah, you're going to laugh at me."
 
"I laugh at you behind your back all the time."
 
The man narrowed his eyes, but let the remark go. "He has my sister wrapped around his finger. She takes his words like words from God, it's no joke."
 
Baekhyun clucked his tongue. "Who is this guy?"
 
"You know him." "I know many people, Monkey."
 
"Tao."
 
"Ah, the trooper from China. He and his little goons are nothing. I'm surprised I let him survive here for that long." Baekhyun sat up and leaned in. "I can crush him for you. It's as easy as breaking a toothpick."
 
"You don't understand, Baekhyun. He has a backer, a powerful one at that. Multiple sources tell me Big Ben."
 
"Can we quit it with the code names? It's so difficult to recall the actual face. You tell me Big Ben and I think of the clock tower in London."
 
"You're ridiculous."
 
"Your nickname is ridiculous."
 
"That hurts."
 
"Can we get back to the point? What an amateurish conversation."
 
"Alright, alright. It's not like you haven't heard of Wu Fan. He's huge in China, basically your equivalent."
 
"So let me get this straight. You're pulling out of our deal because you need to accommodate to His Highness' orders. You can't say no because he has your sister in his palm, as well as Wu Fan's gang to back him up."
 
"Yes."
 
"I can't let you do that. Those dealers, although insignificant in my eyes, bring in big money for me. They've been waiting months for this shipment, you can't just back out like that and leave me to deal with those starving dogs."
 
"The dogs can wait."
 
"You're adamant about this."
 
"I'm sorry, but I love my sister. Tao can do some serious damage to her."
 
Baekhyun sighed and scrubbed a hand over his tired face. "Fine. Only because she's innocent. I'll find a way."
 
"Thank you Baekhyun."
 
He barely hummed a reply when the phone in his pocket vibrated. Eager to pick it up, he set the wine glass down and fished out his phone. "Hello?"
 
"Pick me up." Baekhyun's heart swelled and he couldn't hold back a smile he knew made him look foolish. He was love's fool, either way. "Where are you? I'll come right now."
 
"My grandmother's."
 
"Okay, see you there." Pulling the phone away from his ear, Baekhyun continued to stare at the caller ID for a while before hanging up and putting the phone back in his pocket.
 
"Your wife?"
 
"Yes," he replied tersely. It was needless to say Baekhyun didn't like anyone talking about her, even if it wasn't anything bad. "How long has it been? Four years? And you still look like a love-sick puppy."
 
"Well, if I didn't love her I wouldn't marry her. I have to go. Hopefully you won't back out on the next deal, because I won't just sit back and do nothing then."
 
"I assure you it's a one-time thing."
 
"Goodbye, Jongdae." With that, Baekhyun stepped out of the room. He barely restrained himself from running up the stairs and out of the barber, and Yixing complained loudly behind him. Ignoring everything, Baekhyun got in the car and drove off, leaving his right-hand man behind in a puff of smoke.
 
The drive to her grandmother's place was rather short, maybe because it was close by, or maybe because he was pretty sure he exceeded the speed limit just to keep her from waiting. Regardless, Baekhyun parked the car and approached the worn out apartment building.
 
The elevator doors dinged open and Baekhyun brisk walked to the unit right at the end. It was exactly the same as when he last visited, around two months ago. Ringing the doorbell, Baekhyun adjusted his collar as he waited for the door to be answered. The clicks on the other side jerked him alert, and he let his hands fall coolly by his sides. She was the one who answered the door, unlike her grandmother, she didn't smile a fraction.
 
"Oh, Baekhyun you're here," her grandmother said from behind.
 
"Hello, how have you been?" Baekhyun smiled as he made his way to the couch.
 
"I'm fine. Time to go home, yes?"
 
"I'll see you soon, okay?" She said to her grandmother, giving the elder woman a tight hug. Baekhyun looked away, still guilty for what he had done during the initial stages of their marriage. It was despicable of him to play with their relationship to make her stay, but love does that to you. When they pulled away, Baekhyun stood up and approached her, discreetly slipping his hand into hers. She tensed up, but didn't pull away for the sake of her grandmother.
 
"Drink the soup, alright? It's good for you."
 
"We will. I'll drop by again as soon as I can."
 
"I'd rather you not see me for nine months and come back with a baby in hand," the woman teased, and Baekhyun tried to fight back a blush. After saying last goodbyes, Baekhyun led them out the door. But as soon as the piece of wood separated them, she pulled away harshly and glowered at him. He remained quiet as she cursed at him with her gaze before walking down the corridor without him.
 
"Nara... Don't do this to me."