o1.

Prisoner of Love
Baekhyun never liked going to the extent whereby a life hung by its thread while he held a pair of scissors in his hands. But in the cold, dark basement of Club B, where supplies and goods were rightfully stored, he took it upon himself to exterminate good-for-nothing’s of society. Violence, unlike others who lived a life like his, was not his first option. As much as possible, Baekhyun preferred using words and black and white contracts to seal his deals. But when people overstep the boundaries and take him for a fool, he never hesitated to show them why he was the leader of South Korea’s most notorious mafia.
 
Blood to Baekhyun was poison, so he left most of the beatings and killings to his men. What amused him most were the people who make stupid assumptions that he was incapable of attacking or defending himself. And that was when Baekhyun proved them wrong, only none lived to spread the word. But when it came to people like him, where unspoken murders and various trafficking rings were the norm, blood and violence came in a package.
 
Usually he only used his fists when his physical being was directly provoked. However there were those rare occasions, when he came across the lowest of the low, and despite himself, Baekhyun would feel ashamed to be labeled human. Menial issues like debt repayment would never reach his ears—they were too insignificant for his time and Baekhyun obviously had better things to do. But it seemed as if someone high up there had arranged for him to meet a lowly scum that Baekhyun wondered how he managed to set foot inside his club.
 
He was scheduled to meet up with a supplier that would provide him with the magic powder, and the deal had gone well. But as he was about the leave the venue, one of his men approached him saying someone had something of worth to offer to him. Feeling good about the successful deal, and seeing how he had time to spare, Baekhyun allowed that someone to come forward.
 
The man was in his late forties, and according to him, owed some of Baekhyun’s men a large sum of money. One look at his client’s bruised face and Baekhyun knew his men had done a good job trying to extort payment. The man, Jang Inguk, had a beautiful daughter. When asked, he said his daughter was the famous actress Jang Hanbyul, and even had hard evidence to boot. But when Jang Inguk said he would offer his daughter as a bride and Baekhyun spared a glance at the photo slid across the table, a low chuckle of disbelief escaped. Even his men, the few who were closer to him, found the situation incredibly ridiculous. And they knew for sure that Jang Inguk had met his end.
 
With a crook of a finger, Jang Inguk was led down to the basement. Baekhyun personally shut and locked the door once his men left the room. His client looked noticeably more anxious now that he was alone with the most dangerous man of South Korea. Baekhyun turned around and offered a smile; if he was the man Jang Inguk would see right before he breathed his last, then Baekhyun wanted to leave a pretty impression.
 
"I have heard much of your daughter, Mr. Jang," he said slowly, a sly smirk spreading across his lips. The more he thought about it, the more sorry he felt; not for the daughter who was getting sold, but for Jang Inguk himself. "But it’s saddening to know that you haven’t heard much about me."
 
"I- I’m sorry?"
 
"I don’t know where you got those guts from, perhaps it was through your blatant ignorance, but offering such a deal to me is a very, very big insult."
 
"Wait—"
 
"Shh." Baekhyun brought a finger to his lips to silence the stuttering fool. "I don’t like it when I’m interrupted. As I was saying; personally, I don’t proactively conceal the fact that I am already married." The look on the man’s face was enough to send Baekhyun doubling over in laughter if it weren’t for the situation. "And my wife, whom I love very dearly, is more than a billion times more beautiful than your lowly actress of a daughter. Compared to my wife, your daughter is trash."
 
Baekhyun stopped pacing about the room and looked straight at the man. "Like father, like daughter, right?"
 
He could almost hear the sound of Jang Inguk swallowing down a shriek over the beat of silence that ensued.
 
“But there’s a very big difference between you two. Ask me what it is.”
 
"What- what is it?"
 
Baekhyun chuckled quietly before closing in on the trembling man. “It is the fact that your daughter worked her off to get to where she is today, while you are a good-for-nothing scum that can’t even repay his own debt."
 
The blow Baekhyun delivered sent the man tumbling to the ground. Adrenaline rushed through him as he cracked his knuckles. Baekhyun turned his back to him and clicked a silencer onto his gun. “To me, my dear Inguk, there are two types of fools. The ones who don’t know they are one, and the ones who know they’re fools, yet choose to stay a fool. Which type do you think you are?”
 
"The- the first one…?"
 
"Wrong," Baekhyun replies smoothly, spinning around and levels a gun against the man's forehead. "You have one more chance before I put a bullet through your head."
 
"The second! The second one!" Jang Inguk received his answer in the form of a loud bang, before his body folded in defeat and his life began bleeding out of him.
 
"You are the type of fool that deserves to die." Baekhyun wiped the speck of blood off his cheek and unlocked the door. His men had knowing smiles on their faces as they assured him they would take care of the body. Baekhyun buried his trembling fists in his pocket as he watched the lifeless body of Jang Inguk get dumped into a trash bag.
 
"Send someone to Jang Hanbyul, and tell her that her father’s debt has been cleared. Also, do mention in great detail how her own father tried to sell her off. Feel free to exaggerate." The thought of the young actress’ conflicting emotions evoked an amused smirk from both Baekhyun and his men. "Have a good night, boys."
 
Baekhyun made his way out of the club without looking back. Outside, his car and personal assistant awaited his arrival. His assistant quickly got into the driver’s seat, while Baekhyun took the passenger’s.
 
"I saw the supplier leave much earlier than you did. Was there a hold up?"
 
"Something trivial. Nothing that I can't handle."
 
"I am aware of that. But are you aware that you have blood on the cuffs of your blazer?"
 
"Stop the car." Yixing obeyed immediately. The cars behind him honked, some of them began cursing at them. He wound down the window and threw the blazer out without second thought before they left it behind in puffs of smoke."Thanks. She would’ve hated me more if she saw that."
 
"I can’t believe this. The most dangerous man in South Korea whipped by a petite woman that barely breaks five feet."
 
Baekhyun just laughed. “Love does that to you.”
 
"Does what? Imprison you?" Baekhyun’s silence meant that Yixing had overstepped his boundaries
 
"You talk too much."
 
The man sighed. “I know, I know. Sorry.”
 
The drive back to Baekhyun’s home was long and quiet. He lived in the outskirts of the city, as it was safer for her that way. He wondered if she was already sleeping or waiting for him to come home despite the late hour, or early morning, depending on how you looked at it. But somewhere in the back of his head, he knew these thoughts were worthless, and he should find himself pathetic for even thinking like a newlywed.
 
He would come back to a dark and silent house, just like all the other days. And he would finally take a shower and climb into bed, hoping that that night would be the night she could accept him, just like all the other nights his hopes had not become reality.
 
The car pulled up in the drive way and Baekhyun took a few seconds to gather his thoughts. Yixing removed the key from the ignition and stepped out along with Baekhyun. He skipped the three steps up his veranda and entered his password. Yixing stood watch from beside the car, wondering how the man could be so eager to get home knowing he would get ignored once again. And he decided he should stop trying to figure it out and settle for Baekhyun’s simple answer; love just does that to people.
 
The living room was pitch black as always, and Baekhyun didn't need to turn on the lights in order to maneuver through the furniture. He climbed up the spiral staircase and turned left, where his bedroom was. With the help of the moonlight, he spotted a mess of black hair sticking out from under the duvets. A small smile came naturally to his face as he shut the door behind him as quietly as possible. Baekhyun grabbed fresh clothes and took a quick shower.
 
With still damp hair, he climbed into bed gently, so she wouldn’t be woken up by the movement of the mattress. He lay completely still and distant for just two minutes, before he gave in and turned to his side, wrapping his arms around his petite wife. If the woman had felt it or woke up, she didn’t show it. Comforted, Baekhyun relaxed in the scent of her honey and pine scented hair.
 
His hand rested over her lower abdomen, and despite him trying to push the thought away, it still came back to haunt him. About four years ago there used to be a tiny bump. People wouldn’t be able to notice it if she wore loose clothing, but to Baekhyun, it stood out. Within that bump was a beating heart, one that he played a part in creating, as well as destroying.
 
***
 
tw; ambiguous mention of , please skip the first flashback (italics) if uncomfortable
"Baekhyun, we need to talk." Although the girl had not said that very loudly, all the heads in classroom turned in her direction. Any sentence with Baekhyun in it was automatically amplified in this school, and she should’ve known better. But at that point, she was barely containing her rage and fear from seeping through the pores of her skin.
 
The said boy stood up almost immediately, following after the fluttering hem of her uniform skirt like an eager puppy. They walked to the staircase at the very end of the hallway. Her back was turned against him. After a minute or so, he noticed her frail shoulders trembling, and he could hear the telltale sniffles. He quickly approached her, asking what was wrong. Baekhyun received his answer in the form of a plastic stick falling down the stairs. He bent down and picked it up, staring long and hard at the screen to make sure he wasn’t seeing things.
 
Two lines. Positive.
 
"You’re… pregnant?" A choked sob escaped her lips. As the words began to clog up in his throat, Baekhyun thought back to the time they could’ve done it together. And he knew he was the father.
 
About two months ago he brought her to a club only because she said she had never been to one. The trip was purely exploration, Baekhyun wanted nothing but to show her a little bit more of the kind of world he lived in. He allowed her only one shot, but a staff needed him to settle some matters. A stranger took the chance to approach her, and Baekhyun had come back to her slurring, as well as a man frightened out of his wits. The stranger fled, leaving an eighteen year old Baekhyun to deal with things.
 
Baekhyun took her home right away. He knew where she lived, he came over multiple times before. Her grandmother was asleep, making them the only two conscious ones in the house. He intended to leave after making sure she was okay, he really did. But when she held him back, curling into his chest, Baekhyun knew he couldn't.
 
Looking at the trembling girl now, no amount of self-reproach could ever atone for what he'd done to her. She trusted him and he abused that trust. Baekhyun wanted to say a lot of things, that he didn’t mean it, and that he was sorry. But it was all useless at this point.
 
"I’ll take care of you."
 
"That’s not the point!" She screamed at him. "This- this thing has ruined everything! You knew, Baekhyun, you knew about my dreams. How am I going to achieve them with this thing in me?"
 
"You can still work on your dreams, just a little later. Please, please don’t kill it."
 
"That’s not possible. It will haunt me anywhere I go; whether I kill it or not, this thing has ruined everything. You ruined everything. Right before I took the test my grandmother said I had mail, do you know who sent me that? The company. The entertainment company I auditioned for! I passed the goddamned audition, Baekhyun, but what does that even matter now? It’s pointless now, everything is pointless because of this thing in me!"
 
"I’m so sorry…" Sobbing quietly, she sank onto the floor, face buried in her palms.
 
"Sorry won't solve anything," she murmured. "What do we do now?"
 
"We… we go to a gynecologist, to get a confirmation. There could be a chance the test result was wrong."
 
"What will your father say?"
 
"He doesn’t care what I do. Your grandmother is the question. Will she be able to handle the news?"
 
She leaned against the wall and shut her eyes, trying to stop her lips from trembling as she whispered, “I’m not going to tell her. I have to move out when I can’t hide it anymore.”
 
"You can live with me. No, you have to live with me, I’m responsible for you now. There’s nothing we can do but move forward from here. I’m sorry, I wasn’t careful, but what’s done is done. We can do this. I’ll take care of you, I’m not running away, alright? You can count on me."
 
She looked at Baekhyun with desolate eyes, and his heart hurt that he was the one who did this to her. He was truly sorry, but knowing that his flesh and blood lived within the girl he loved made him feel a form of clandestine happiness. He offered his hand to her, to which she hesitantly accepted before getting down the stairs.
 
The corridor seemed longer than usual, as well as darker. And despite the light the poured in through the many windows, she felt afraid that something was lurking around, something that would destroy both herself and her child.
 
***
 
"Would you like to know the gender of your baby?"
 
The question had them both stunned as they glanced at each other. They weren’t prepared for it, today was her regular monthly check-up, not revelation day. Baekhyun looked at her for approval, which she gave in the form of an unsure nod. He took her hand in his as the doctor smiled.
 
"Instead of that, why don’t you two tell me what you want the gender to be?"
 
"Boy," Baekhyun answered eagerly and the doctor looked at her for her answer.
 
"I want a girl," she said softly.
 
"Ah, conflicting expectations. Happens all the time. Are you ready to know?" They nodded their heads as the doctor picked up the ultra-scan. “Congratulations, it’s a boy.”
 
Baekhyun’s grip on her hand tightened instinctively as they shared a smile despite her wanting a baby girl. Whatever the gender, the effect was the same; it still ruined her career prospects, but it was a mother’s instinct to love her own child. They looked at the scans as the doctor pointed out the features of their child. She was finishing her 15th week of pregnancy, and the doctor was about 99% sure it was a boy. Although all this happened so abruptly when neither of them were prepared for it, they couldn’t deny that there was a burst of joy and pride. The young life, yet to officially enter this world, was already so well-protected. What with a powerful man for a grandfather, an amazing fighter for a father, as well as two round the clock bodyguards.
 
But she knew that having protection from these people also meant she would be put in the same amount danger. She didn’t know much about her husband's illicit activities, but she was sure they'd have no shortage of enemies and people who wanted them dead for varying reasons. Many wanted the group to perish, and for that the leader had to be eliminated. Although Baekhyun had yet to take over, he was still in tremendous danger because of his father, and so was she.
 
The five months spent with him and the baby had been quiet, and so had the one year of knowing Baekhyun as a friend. She settled into a time of peace and comfort, trusting that Baekhyun would never let anyone touch a strand of hair on her head.
 
But certain things were unavoidable.
 
"Looks like dad has to donate all those baby girl clothes and toys he sent over," Baekhyun jested lightly as they drove.
 
"Yeah."
 
"Are you upset?"
 
"No, just tired. You know I’m like that during this period."
 
"I know. Get some sleep, we have a long drive home."
 
She exhaled heavily and rested her head against the window. Sleep took over her during the rare moments when nausea and body aches left her. Baekhyun woke her up when they arrived. With great care, he helped her out of the car and guided her to the door step. She had mentioned multiple times that she wasn’t that heavily pregnant to need so much attention, but Baekhyun only responded with a bright smile.
 
What greeted them was a wreckage; drawers left open, papers strewn everywhere, furniture overturned and vases shattered. Baekhyun knew exactly who did this and why.
 
"Wait in the car. Stay low." She nodded and headed out the door, only to scream bloody murder and be shoved inside mercilessly by their attacker. Baekhyun caught her and put her behind his back as the two burly men closed in on them.
 
"I finally get to see the wife. Gorgeous lady, boss would love her to bits if we took her."
 
Something snapped inside of him and Baekhyun didn’t hesitate to roundhouse kick the man down. The second one came for him immediately after, and he put up quite a bit of a fight. She took the chance and ran upstairs, heading for the cabinet Baekhyun told her was for emergencies. But first she needed to unlock it, and her trembling hands did not do much to speed up the process.
 
The padlock finally clicked, but before she could open it, her hair was fisted violently and she was swung aside. A cry escaped her lips as she crashed into the corner of the sturdy mahogany desk. Black dotted her vision and her knees gave way while she clutched the area where a tiny heart once pounded; her white dress now stained red.
 
A loud bang resonated throughout the house, and for a moment she thought she was shot. The man seemed to have found what he came here for; he now had a black duffel bag slung over his shoulders, as well as a shotgun to boot.
 
He pointed the daunting barrel at her.“Women are such a liability.”
 
The shot went off, but perhaps it was because she was already in so much pain, she couldn’t feel a thing. Blood splattered across her arm and cheeks as the man collapsed into a bloody heap on the floor, and Baekhyun came into view by the doorframe. He shouted her name and rushed over, scooping her into his arms.
 
"Daddy will save you. Daddy will save both of you." Was the last thing she heard before her mind told her that was enough lies for the day.
 
***
 
"How is she?!" Baekhyun snarled in question as soon as the doctor stepped out.
 
"She's past the critical zone, but we couldn’t save the child. We are very sorry."
 
Baekhyun didn’t even have the willpower to get angry anymore. His fists fell limply by his sides and he stumbled back at the force of those four words: we are very sorry.
 
With heavy footsteps, he made his way over to the door of her ward. The doorknob felt cold and unforgiving in his palm, but he twisted it and pushed forward. The girl was awake, but she looked weak and ready to faint as she stared at the wall across her in a dazed-like manner. Her head slowly turned to him, and Baekhyun prepared himself to hear her scream at him. But instead, only tears fell, and he knew she too, had not the willpower to get angry.
 
Her quiet sniffing turned into desperate sobs as she repeated over and over again, “he’s gone, he’s gone, he’s gone.”
 
Baekhyun couldn’t bring himself to approach her. He was afraid that if he did, not only would he lose his own son, but he might lose his wife as well. After all, he brought this upon them.
 
"I’m sorry." He looked into her eyes again, but this time, those glassy orbs were filled with all the resentment, abhorrence and fear in the world.
 
"Sorry won’t solve anything."
 
***
 
Baekhyun woke up the next morning to an empty bed and sunlight burning reality into his eyelids. And suddenly he felt like setting this house on fire, along with himself in it.