Chapter 31

What Is Love?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re here.” Taeyeon state as Leeteuk already busied himself at her kitchen.

 

Leeteuk nodded his head while his hand busied buttering the bread. Taeyeon then stand beside him, start boiling a water. “Tea?” Leeteuk hummed in response. She then prepare two cup of tea and wait for the water to boil.

 

“Shouldn’t you stay with Mr. Park today?”

 

“He told me to spend time with you.” Taeyeon look at him. “I told him.” Leeteuk grin to her.

 

The two then settle on the table as the toast and tea had done. Taeyeon cut the toast as Leeteuk talk with her. “Ah, right, we’ll have dinner later at mansion with appa.” Taeyeon hum in response.

 

“And you’re going with me to Jeju.” Taeyeon frowned at him.

 

“You..” she squint her eyes at him.

 

Leeteuk nodded as he cut the toast and munch it. “Yes, the new year vacation. You’re joining us.”

 

Taeyeon grunted. She never like to join those, yet here’s the lovely boyfriends of her that had ask her, no, more like force her to join the new year vacation.

 

“I’m not going.” she said strictly.

 

Leeteuk shook the fork in front of her. “Oh, no. you’re still coming though.” Taeyeon clucked her tongue. The new year vacation from the company never one for her. But, oh well.. She still had a few days to avoid of coming to Jeju though.

 

“Are you going to orphanage after this?” Taeyeon nodded as she munched on the toast.

 

“Are you coming?”

 

“Of course. What would you do without me?” he said cocky, making Taeyeon shake her head smiling.

 

The two had done their breakfast, and after Taeyeon went to change something warm, both heading to orphanage, not forgetting the cookies that she bake yesterday, and pack it inside box.

 

Seoul was full with snow. The christmas had made every place fill with christmas tree. Not too much car today since people would like to spend day at home. Celebrating christmas with family, having lunch or dinner together, and kids opening their christmas gift.

 

The 45 minutes ride had come to stop. The orphanage only a simple house with one story building, but it definitely really wide as there’s a field behind the house. The Sunshine Orphanage was written in a wood that was decorate cutely at the gate.

 

Taeyeon and Leeteuk went down the car and brought the box of cookies with them. Taeyeon knock the door, and soon a middle age woman came to open the door and smile warmly at Taeyeon. She even hug her in motherly way. Her eyes then averted to Leeteuk which bow to her, and the elder nod her head smiling. She then ushered Taeyeon and Leeteuk to enter in.

 

“Yedeul-ah! Look who is here?” and in matter of seconds, about 20 more kids running to where Taeyeon and Leeteuk were standing. Leeteuk smile as he saw how happy the kids were.

 

Some of the kids run to Taeyeon and gave her a hug despite them can only hug her legs and waist. Taeyeon welcome them warmly, hugging them back.

 

“Taeyeon noona!”

 

“Taeyeon eonnie!”

 

The kids hollered as they saw Taeyeon. Taeyeon recognized the kids. But seems like there’s some that’s new at the orphanage. Well, can’t blame her, she always came either once a year or twice a year. She rub their head and pat their head.

 

“Have you all open the gift?”

 

“Neh!” the kids answered excitedly. Taeyeon laugh. The kids are way too cute.

 

The lady beside Leeteuk then ushered Leeteuk to the kitchen, leaving Taeyeon with the kids. He put the box at the table, and getting the cookies out.

 

“Did Taeyeon bake it?” the lady smile seeing the jars full of various shapes cookies. Leeteuk nodded his head.

 

“I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Jung Soon Hwa.” she offered her hand. And Leeteuk took it. “I’m Leeteuk.”

 

“Heoksi.. Namchin-ee?” Leeteuk chuckled. He nodded his head.

 

Mrs. Jung then smile, and look at Taeyeon. The kids had pulled her to the back of the house, playing snows. Leeteuk can see how Taeyeon laugh and smile freely around those kids. Gone the emotionless Taeyeon, gone the cold and icy Taeyeon.

 

Leeteuk then help Mrs. Jung to prepare the cookies at the plate. Mrs. Jung eyed him secretly. She can sense it though. The moment she saw him. Taeyeon always came here alone. She never brought anyone with her, and only today, the first time she brought someone with her.

 

“How do you know Taeyeon, Leeteuk-ah?”

 

Leeteuk paused. “We.. somehow work in the same company.”

 

“Ah..” Mrs. Jung nodded her head. No wonder.

 

“Has she been good to you?” she asked casually. Leeteuk raised an eyebrow. Shouldn’t she be asking whether he has been good to Taeyeon? Why is it the other way around?

 

Mrs. Jung seems to notice his confused state as she smile. “I know her, she can be rude and cold. Looking at you..” she look at his eyes. “It must be you that had a hard time, huh?”

 

Leeteuk chuckled. “Not really. She’s just being her, and I’m being me.” Mrs. Jung nodded in agreement. It should be like that right? When you’re in relationship, each should act like how they are.

 

“Let’s bring it outside.” Leeteuk then followed Mrs. Jung with two plate on his hands.

 

The wind is quite cold, but the kids are wearing something warm. No worry. Leeteuk then look at Taeyeon, he smile. He then went inside again with Mrs. Jung.

 

“What would you like to drink, Leeteuk?” she ask warmly.

 

“Anything but coffee.” Mrs. Jung nodded and went to make a drink for Leeteuk. Leeteuk sit at the dining room, wandering his eyes around the orphanage. There’s about 8 to 10 room, and there’s also two bathroom. The living room, unexpectedly look glamorous. A home theatre at the living room.

 

“Here, have a drink. Be careful, it’s hot.” Leeteuk muttered thanks to Mrs. Jung and took a sip at the tea. Mrs. Jung took a sit across him and took a sip at the tea.

 

“The kids and Taeyeon are close.” Leeteuk commented as the kids and Taeyeon are playing.

 

“She came here every christmas. Sometimes she also come at lunar day. But she never came here more than twice.”

 

“Because she’s busy.” Leeteuk reasoned out. Mrs. Joo chuckled. The man in front of her really know Taeyeon inside out. “I told her to come here often, but she says she’s too busy with work.”

 

“She really never change.” Mrs. Jung continued.

 

Leeteuk raised an eyebrow. “Did she.. Lived here before?” he suddenly remember Taeyeon words yesterday. She said she ran away from her abusive father. Did she.. Came here?

 

Mrs. Jung nodded her head. “She came here when she’s 16. I thought she was lost that time.. But, she brought a bag with her, her body all bruised. She told me her condition, and I accept her to live here.” she sip on her tea.

 

“She’s a quiet kid back then. She rarely talk, and she rarely play with other kids. All she did was study, doing house core, and study again.” Mrs. Goo shake her head as she remembered the young Taeyeon.

 

She sigh. “She could have a happy family back then.. But she refused to get adopted.”

 

Leeteuk look at Taeyeon. He do understand why Taeyeon refused to get adopted back then. It’s because she doesn’t want to get hurt again, and make the history repeat.

 

“She stay till she’s legal enough. Good things she still came to visit..“

 

Leeteuk look at his own tea. Even Taeyeon habit of being lonely never died. She could stay here without leaving. She could play with kids at here. But she choose to leave.

 

 

Three men came in with boxes in their hand. The mne then put all the meals at the long table at the orphanage. The kids and Mrs. Jung watch how the men did their work. Putting a bowl of rice, more than 5 type of dishes at the table, a can of coke on each side of the bowl, bowls of cookies, plates of desserts, and plate of fruits at the table. The kids watch the mouth watering food at the table.

 

Leeteuk put his hand at the back of her shoulder as he watch the men work. They came right on lunch time, bringing boxes of foods and did their work right away.

 

“Did you call them?”

 

Taeyeon nodded. “I order them.” he raised an eyebrow at her.

 

“At the car yesterday.” Leeteuk nodded understand. He remember what she did at the car yesterday. It took about 10 to 15 minutes for the men to do their job. After done, the men left the house.

 

Mrs. Jung then ushered the kids to take a seat as tidy as possible. Taeyeon and Leeteuk also took their seats among the kids. One of the kids lead a prayer before eat, and the other kids, Mrs. Jung also Taeyeon and Leeteuk followed. After that, they enjoy the meal in front them.

 

The kids eat with joy. Feeling the delicious foods at christmas day. Though it was snowing, all can feel the warm on that day. Nothing is more warm when gathering with people you call dearly.

 

Taeyeon help to fed the kids beside her as she found the kids fumble with chopstick. Leeteuk look at her lovingly. Another side of her, again. He know, Taeyeon has a warm side, but situation and condition that make her hide all her true self. Revealing her cold, rude and icy person that everyone know.

 

The kids had went to the living room, playing with their new toys that Taeyeon bought. Together with Leeteuk. Taeyeon and Mrs. Jung wash the dish. Taeyeon was drying the plate with clothes as Mrs. Jung eye her.

 

“Did you gave him a hard time?” here comes the motherly figure in Taeyeon life.

 

“Should I?” she said nonchalantly.

 

Mrs. Jung shook her head at Taeyeon disapprovingly. She hand her another plate to Taeyeon. “What do you think of him?”

 

Taeyeon slowly wipe the plate as she pondered for a while Mrs. Jung question.

 

“He.. make me more into human.” Mrs. Jung paused as she turn to look at Taeyeon.

 

“Let your guards down, Taeyeon-ah.. You have closed yourself enough. Forgive those that hurt you, and start a new life with them. Your mom.. She may did you wrong, but she’s still your mother by blood.” she gave her a motherly look as Taeyeon refused to look at her.

 

Her grip on the bowl tighten at the mention of her mom. She never did like talking about her. She didn’t felt like forgiving her, even till now. Those years past without her, she had long decided not to wait for her anymore. And forgiving her, those are the fancy thing that Taeyeon would never gave to her.

 

Mrs. Jung seems to know what Taeyeon is thinking. She dried her hand and force Taeyeon to face her. Her eyes look stern to her.

 

“Tell me what are you thinking.” she demanded.

 

Silence. Taeyeon then raised her eyes to look at Mrs. Jung eyes. “I met her.”

 

Mrs. Jung widen her eyes. “Really? But, how did you know it’s her?” she frowned. She remember Taeyeon said her mother left when she’s just 3. And she thought that Taeyeon probably won’t remember her mom face as she also don’t have any photo left of her mother.

 

“I remember her face. I never forget it.” she said stoically.

 

 

Though she just 3 that time, but Taeyeon was born to be a genius. She know how her mom look likes despite her age, she remember what her mom did, she remember everything. And yet, she also took control in her mind whether to forget those memory or not. And the first time she met her, she know, the woman that had left her before, the woman that she had forgot, that time was standing right in front of her eyes.

 

Mrs. Jung look at her sadly. “Have you two.. Talk?”

 

Taeyeon exhaled. Remembering the talk they did at her penthouse back then. She confessed to her, and she apologize. But then, she felt betrayed by her sorry, as she remember their talk at the ball. She willing to left her, but she didn’t willing to left her new family just for her. Did Taeyeon don’t mean anything to her?

 

“I don’t want to talk about her.” she turn around, but Mrs. Jung held her by shoulder firmly.

 

“Sooner or later, the times will come. Clear things out with her. You can’t just let it be like this for your whole life.”

 

Taeyeon shake her head. “Forgiving her.. That’s too fancy for her, eomoni.”

 

Mrs. Jung honestly don’t know what to do to give Taeyeon some sense. She do know how much Taeyeon despise her mother, and she know a mother shouldn’t left their kids. Just like how most kids at the orphanage. Their parents left them. But, she also doesn’t want Taeyeon to regret it later when things are too late.

 

“I need you to remember one thing. You know how much I love you and I don’t want you to get hurt.” she took a breath before continuing. “Don’t do something, that you’ll regret later, Taeyeon-ah.. Cause when that time came, you won’t be able to turn back time anymore.”

 

Taeyeon nodded her head solemnly. She do will remember every words that Mrs. Jung told her. But, the things is, will she be able to do it?

 

 

Taeyeon open the door and look at two baby box in the room. As she passed by the room she heard a baby crying, and she can’t hold herself not to open the door. She goes to the left one, and find a baby boy around 9 months old was crying. She smile upon the baby.

 

She pick the baby boy and look at the name in the baby box. Jang Seojoon. She then cradle the baby carefully, and pat the baby, trying to stop the crying. Taeyeon also hum a song to Seojoon and soon, the baby had stop crying and now look at Taeyeon wide his wide eyes. She chuckled.

 

She then went out of the room and went to the living room. It’s past lunch time, and after playing with Leeteuk, the kids had went to take their nap. She sit at the sofa, playing with Seojoon. And Seojoon would laugh when Taeyeon play a peek-a-boo with him.

 

Leeteuk we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter