7.

Coincidence or Destiny ?

          On the next day, Su Bin came at our home with Tae Woon. She had forced him to take the day off as she wanted to go out with me and my mother. According to her, it was a good way for the two of us to get to know each other. I decided to get changed to look better. I wanted to spend a good day, to be a strong woman. I wouldn't let what had happened destroy me. I would be the stronger one and let everyone know about it. I didn't know what pleased Tae Woon but I tried to make the best out of myself.

 

 

When I got back down Su Bin pinched my cheek softly while complimenting me. Tae Woon's expression didn't change but it didn't matter. My goal wasn't to make him fall for me, I just needed to be his friend so we could have a good marriage.

We first went to the cinema to watch a romantic comedy. I sat next to Tae Woon and the olders sat on my right side. The lights soon went off and I heard him sigh. I sat closer to him hoping that we could start a conversation however it didn't work. Then, an idea popped in my mind. I asked the women if they wanted to eat some popcorn and of course the two agreed. I grabbed Tae Woon's arm and dragged him out of the room with me. I wanted to say something however I didn't know what. Which subject should we discuss about ? He didn't seem like a talkative person which made it harder. I took the two bags of popcorn the young man was handing me before turning to Tae Woon so he could hold them while I paid. Once we were walking to the room, he finally broke the heavy silence.

 

Tae Woon : how... mmm... how did it went yesterday ?

You : with Zico ?

Tae Woon : yeah

You : it's okay now.. I'm trying to get over it

Tae Woon : don't show him that you're hurt. You should be tough

You : I know but I think it'll be hard to be robust in front of him

Tae Woon : life goes on ~~~~-ssi. You don't need to do anything else but to be happy

You : I wonder if I can still be truly happy after this

Tae Woon : I know that getting married to me isn't what you want but I'll try my best to help you forget about Zico. As a friend

You : you accept this wedding ?!

Tae Woon : unless you want me to refuse

You : ani ani ! I want it as well

Tae Woon : jeongmal ?!

You : I mean... I have no reason not to marry you

Tae Woon : does it mean that we are officially engaged now ?

You : mmm I think so..

Su Bin : did I heard it right ? Aigoooo my kids~~

Tae Woon : Eomma ? Are you stalking us ?

Su Bin : aniyo~ I was searching for you because the movie is about to start. Let's go back, I have to announce this to Ye Rin

 

Without words, we followed my mother-in-law, how weird to call her that, inside. Luckily the room wasn't illuminated because I felt my cheeks burning hot when Su Bin presented Tae Woon and I as a couple. It had always been an habit of mine. I would blush each time a guy charmed me, or when there was a rumor that I loved someone. Even though I wasn't in love with Tae Woon, the way Su Bin said it made me embarrassed. I sat down one more time, holding the bag of popcorn tightly. I tried to focus on the movie while eating these chocolate flavoured sweets when I felt fingers brushing mine. Instantly, I looked at Tae Woon and so did he. We stared at each other for a few minutes before both taking our hands out of the bag. He let a light chuckle out so I giggled too. I could feel our parents' gaze from the side. Their stare was burning me.

 

You : you take if you want

Tae Woon : you too. Don't mind me

 

I nodded and kept on eating. Half an hour later, I was almost falling asleep in front of the movie. Old movies were really something. The quality was nothing compared to modern things. The plot was interesting but the way it was done and the video's quality spoiled the story line. Even if I tried my best to stay awake, my boredom was stronger than me. I ended up falling asleep with my head against Tae Woon's shoulder.

A long time later, I felt something squeezing me. Opening my eyes slowly I recognized my mom. She was trying to wake me up as Su Bin did the same with Tae Woon. Too lazy to move and because of Tae Woon's head's weight on mine I decided to close my eyes again.

 

Su Bin : kids these days don't know how to appreciate good things

Ye Rin : you're right. When it comes to loud music they are okay but when it's calm, they get bored

Su Bin : Tae Woon-ah ! Tae Woon-ah !

Ye Rin : at least they have something in common

Su Bin : that's a really good thing. It means that they will get along well

Ye Rin : I hope so because I want my daughter to be happy

Su Bin : trust me Ye Rin, Tae Woon is a caring boy. Maybe just too shy

Ye Rin : I'll pray for their well-being

 

          After a great meal at a big restaurant, we went to their house where we had some tea with cookies. Su Bin had given me the family album to show me pictures of Tae Woon when he was a kid. Some certainly were funny. On almost all the photographs there were him and Zico.

 

   

 

You : you haven't changed

Tae Woon : ah really ?

You : nae~ your face is the same

Tae Woon : I don't know if this is a compliment

You : I think so

Tae Woon : you'll have to show me your childhood photos ok ?

You : anii~ I looked so bad

Tae Woon : come on, you're a beautiful girl. You must have been a cute child

You : you won't think like this anymore if you see them

Tae Woon : you have to show me anyway

You : wae ?

Tae Woon : almost all couples do that and we are one

 

Su Bin chuckled with happiness. I bet she was proud to see us like this. I was glad as well, it felt nice to be close to him. We had to be good friends. We kept on going through the pages of photographs when someone got inside. It was my dear enemy, Zico. He was drop dead handsome with his black jacket and several thin gold chains. He had a new haircut which made him more handsome. My heart skipped a beat when he flashed me a smile even though I tried to keep control. I shouldn't let him know the effect he had on my weak person. Tae Woon sat closer and put his hand on my knee. I gave him a questionning look but he only smiled. I knew he was someone I could trust so I focused on the album again.

 

Su Bin : do you see that Ji Ho ?? I was right ! ~~~~ is the perfect woman

Zico : Hyung, you've fallen so easily for her ? You should be careful. A person can have several faces

Tae Woon : don't worry Ji Ho-ah, I'm not in love yet

 

Zico just laughed before walking away. I wondered what he thought. Was it a good decision ? What else could I do anyway ? My father wanted me to marry Tae Woon and nothing prevented me from doing so. I had no choice anymore but I could use this marriage to rebel against the playboy who thought that everything belonged to him, that I was his toy. I was determined to prove the contrary. And for this, I knew Tae Woon would help me. On the one hand it was hard to accept that I would deal with Zico every single days of my life. On the other hand, it was a chance given to me by God to punish Zico for being such a flirty man who never cared about girls' feelings.

 

Ye Rin : kids, are you both really okay with the wedding ?

You : yes Eomma

Tae Woon : for sure Eomeonim

Ye Rin : then... do we have to announce it to the media ?

Su Bin : oh yes ! You're right Ye Rin !

Ye Rin : we should celebrate the engagement

Su Bin : then, we'll invite some journalists

You : do we need such a fancy party ? I mean, we're not this famous

Ye Rin : we are ~~~~. Maybe not us, but the brands are

Su Bin : they are known in the whole country

You : I never thought we were so famous

Tae Woon : you're not marrying a nobody

You : ssshh boastful

 

The front door was strongly closed. It made such a loud sound as if someone had taken his anger out on it. I asked myself whether Zico had eavesdropped our conversation. Perhaps he had been angry after finding out that Tae Woon really got well with each other. I was lost in thoughts when Su Bin brought me down to earth by calling my name. I was thinking too much.

 

You : yeah ?

Su Bin : how about doing some shopping today to find the perfect dress ?

You : can't I wear a simple dress ?

Tae Woon : come on ~~~~. The whole Korea is going to see this

You : then.. can I just go with Tae Woon ? I don't want to bother

Su Bin : erhh you already want to be left alone with him

Ye Rin : I didn't thought that they would get so attached

Su Bin : I told you, this is a perfect couple

You : should we go tonight ?

Tae Woon : why don't we go now ?

You : mm it's not a bad idea~

Tae Woon : then, we'll be leaving now

 

Tae Woon got up and showed me his hand. I took it with a smile while Su Bin clapped her hands. Both of us left the house to go shopping.