TWO

August Rain

 


 

It’s mid-summer and yet it was a heavy rainy day with sky covered with dark clouds. Suho glanced across the street, only to see a girl in white dress standing not too far away from him. She too, had her gaze fixed on him.

 

Suho found her rather familiar and he felt really comfortable with her presence. He had expected her to smile but was only greeted by her teary eyes instead. She looked so hurt, so disappointed and it broke Suho’s heart to see her in such vulnerable state.

 

Guilt, that was all he felt when he saw her afflicted complexion.

 

Her lips quivered a bit and Suho could tell that she was trying to say something but he heard nothing.  Suho raised his gaze again and panicked upon seeing the girl running away opposite across the road. He wanted to run after her but then a car had just appeared out of nowhere right after he stepped forward.

 

Her body had fallen to the asphalt from the impact of the car crash and there was fresh blood was covered her body.

 

It was then he felt that part of his heart had been taken away.

 

---

 

“Mr. Kim.”

 

The gentle soothing voice woke him up from his dream. There was someone shaking his shoulder, Suho opened his eyes only to have the sight of report greeted him.

 

Right, it was just a dream.

 

He was evaluating and analyzing the financial report from DSP Trade and Co. to review if they have any potential for Wu Enterprise to invest on them. Guess he fell asleep in the middle of it.

 

“Sir” the soft voice brought his sense to realize that he wasn't alone. He looked up and saw Ling’s concerned eyes, he could tell that she’s worrying for him.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Are you alright, Sir?” She retreated her hand from his shoulder, “You look tired” Suho nodded and let out a light smile, “I’m fine. Just a little lack of sleep these few days”

 

“Want me to go and come again later?” Why is she always speaking in such soft tone?

 

Suho shook his head at her question, “No, it’s fine. Luhan will need to get back to the others regarding the DSP case right?”

 

Ling cautiously nodded and Suho let out a sigh. Is he really that scary that she always acts so timid around him? “Mr Lu will need to meet the DSP representatives this afternoon”

 

He looked around, searching for a certain person who had let her entering his office, “And where is Hana?”

 

“Miss Kim is delivering reports downstairs. But she had asked me to remind you about your lunch date with FNC Corporation. Miss Kim had made a reservation under your name in the restaurant”

 

Suho nodded and then had his gaze focus onto the report before looking up to her. “Can you wait for me while I review the report?” He asked, “I won’t be long”

 

Ling nodded and sat on the chair across his desk. For a second or two, she was looking at Suho but had quickly dropped her gaze and pretending to look at her planner when he looked at her with a gentle smile. She felt awkward and her cheek pinked up a bit while Suho chuckled silently upon her reaction. That’s rather adorable.

 

Suho didn’t know why he had asked Ling to keep him accompany. But he wanted to since he had never seen her for more than a minute ever since she had been joining the company for 2 weeks.

 

He realized that she’s really shy and tends to be awkward when it comes to interaction with people. And as far as he could recall, she’s always looking downwards onto the floor while holding files against her chest, walking hurry in the lobby or along the corridors.

 

If to say there was a time she walked without looking downward, it would be when she was walking with Luhan. Suho was indeed curious about Ling and so he made used of this opportunity to observe her. (and yes, while he review the papers. What a multi-tasker huh?)

 

Ling was… Suho would describe her beauty as a subtle one; her beauty was filled with purity and gentleness. Her medium long black hair fell to her back, in which she usually tied them partly just like today, and her bangs made her looked rather young. People might even misunderstood her as a high-school girl.

 

Just to add on, all women that Suho ever went out with or slept with were definitely gorgeous. But they’re pretty much all the same - thick make-up, flirty dress, sultry beauty that they always used to seduce men like him to bed.

 

But Ling was different, she seemed so innocent and pure with her light make-up. And yet, her simplicity didn’t make her less attractive. In fact, Suho was somehow thankful with her style.

 

In conclusion, Lu Su Ling was very different. And somehow, her shy and quiet nature made Suho curious about her.

 

“So how’s work so far” Suho asked as he shifted forward, somehow knowing that the girl would directed her gaze back to him. There was confusion in her eyes as she furrowed her eyebrows, “Yes?”

 

“Is it hard to work under Luhan”

 

“No sir”

 

Suho had expected her to say more but Ling merely shook her head. She’s definitely not a talker. Call him mean but he wanna push her to talk more.

 

It was a known fact that Ling was the one who always prepared Luhan’s presentation or reports and yet the girl had never present or joined the meeting once. And Suho admitted that Ling was indeed a talent, all of her work was detailed was efficiently well-done efficiently.

 

“What do you think about our deal with DSP.” He raised his gaze to her again and found her blinking at him. Okay, she’s really cute.

 

You’ve reviewed the report before giving to me” Suho props his hand and placed his chin on his palm. “So what do you think? Do you think we’ll benefit from this deal?”

 

*DOOR OPEN*

 

Luhan entered the room and Suho realized Ling had quickly jolted from her seat as soon as she saw Luhan, “Mr Lu”

 

She looked rather panicked and Suho didn’t know why. “Ah so there you are, I thought you have left me for lunch” Ling didn’t reply but only looked downwards with an apologized expression, “I’m sorry, Gege. The document for DSP –“

 

“I’m still working on it” Suho continued her words and Luhan looked back at the guy who raised the folder in his hand. Luhan looked back at Ling and let out a small smile while patting her head gently, “It’s fine”

 

“Ah-hum” Suho coughed a bit and raised his eyebrows at the guy, “We’re still at work, Mr Lu” Luhan let out an embarrassed chuckle and set his eyes on to the report again, asking in a serious tone,  “So what do you think about the deal?”

 

Suho replied carelessly, “I was asking Miss Lu the same question before you came in” He turned at the girl. Luhan smiled lopsidedly while raising a brow on her, “And what did she say?”

 

“Nothing, because you came in” Suho rolled his eyes, “But to be honest, I’m concerned if it’s necessary to extend our investment with DSP since they’re on down slope now”

 

“You need to know DSP is a world-wide ranges enterprise. They’re only troubled in some areas but that doesn’t mean they’re screwed. They do still give us benefits every now and then” Luhan replied after a deep thought

 

“And so do Wu Enterprise” Suho retorted, “We give them benefits too, in fact, we give them A LOT of benefits” There was a tension between both men when a female voice interrupted, “Hmm…” They both looked at Ling and Suho smiled at her, “So what do you think, Miss Lu?”

 

For a moment, Ling took a glance at Luhan then exhaled. “Although Mr. Kim is right about DSP having their own down slope with their current problematic management, Mr Lu is correct about them being world-wide range. DSP definitely has more experience in globalized trading business. So having them in our company is definitely resourceful. We can always use them to expand our business more than before”

 

“What do you suggest then?”

 

Ling shrugged her shoulders and replied, “Perhaps giving them a condition that we will continue to invest as long as they fix their management problem?” Luhan let out an interested smile upon her suggestion, “And what if they threaten us?”

 

“I don’t think they’re in the position to refuse our offers right now” Ling heaved a sigh while Suho frowned and leaned back to his chair, “What makes you think so?”

 

“We all know that DSP won’t last longer than 6 months with their current situation. They were closing some of their branches and many shareholders are releasing their shares. That means more investments are needed and they should know it won’t bring them any good if they act up in front of us”

 

Suho gave an impressed and let out an amusing scoff as he looked at the doe-eyed guy, “I like her, she’s smart”

 

“Told yea she’s good”, Luhan smiled proudly.

 

“Ling”

 

The girl seemed really surprised upon Suho dropping the formality at her, “Yes?” Her utter awkwardness made Suho smile, “It’s kinda weird to hear someone keep calling me Mr. Kim. Just call me Suho too”

 

She was about to protest but Suho already interjected her, “I insist” Yup, she has no choice but to obligate with it.

 

It didn’t take long for Luhan and Ling to both exit the room. On their way out, Suho managed to catch part of their conversation (which was in Chinese), he knew Luhan was praising Ling and he smiled at that.

 

But then his heart sank when he saw Luhan rounding his arm across her shoulders as a certain sentence from his conversation with Luhan the other day was playing on him mind, Ling is not my sister. She’s coming from my household and I grew up with her, yes. But she’s not related to me. She’s my housekeeper’s daughter. A disturbing tug was inside his heart and his smile disappeared.

 

It was then Suho realized that it’s been too long since he had such feeling. He shouldn’t feel it, he don’t deserve to feel it.

 

Love is something he doesn’t need now.

 

But unknown to Suho, the feeling might be just slowly invading within him.

 


Author note:

Sorry for the update notification again. It's not actually an update. I just revised the chapter.

Thank you so much for subscribing, commenting and reading this story. I hope you enjoy reading the story.

And Okay, this is time for CHAPTERNAPPING. Ransom for the next chapter please~

PS: Check out new side story about Do Kyungsoo, Still You. Hope You enjoy it~