ONE

August Rain

 

 


Kim Joonmyeon, or Suho as his friends had called him, was just one of the shareholders of the Wu Enterprise. He was recently being appointed as the CEO of the company, replacing Kris who had just got promoted in becoming the company’s chairman.

 

He got everything; life seemed awesome and nothing seemed to be lacked in his life.

 

But no, if there was something that Suho lacked for, it would probably be companionship or love.

 

For countless of time, Suho felt envy of Kris and Hana’s relationship. It was true that he had been going out with women and had even slept with them. But it was simply an act of fun and he never felt more than that.

 

Suho never really the emotion of falling for any of them and needless to say, commit to any of them. Well, it wasn’t always in every occasion he didn’t want to commit himself. There was a time or two that he did felt ready to commit with a certain girl, but then he would always end up losing them and again, he was hurt by love.

 

---

 

His first crush was a pretty girl of his class in High School. They went out for a period of time but he soon realized that she was only dating him for his wealth. As much as he wanted to keep their relation, he knew that she wasn’t the right girl for him. The two eventually broke up after a year or so.

 

The next girl that he fell for was during his college days. She was beautiful and kind.  Suho was very much in love with her despite of his young age. However, how their relationship had ended and how he had lost her was something Suho refused to recall back.

 

One thing for sure was that, Suho had completely changed after that particular relationship. He became more focused in his work at the Wu Enterprise and meanwhile, he started hooking up with girls for his own fun and pleasure. Why don’t just enjoy life since there’s no girl to make his heart fluttered like before, or so he thought.

 

But that day had indeed triggered his emotion and that was something very different for him.

 

---

 

It was originally fine sunny day when the sky suddenly started to have a downpour. Suho mentally cursed since the rain had prevented him in returning the office located in Shanghai.

 

Yes, he’s currently in China together with Luhan and Tao for a business trip. He sighed for the Nth time as he looked up to the sky and had his palm facing upwards to feel the rain drops.

 

Weather forecast was definitely very inaccurate. It had said that the day’s supposed to be a sunny one since to say, it’s a freaking hot August summer season! The weather was indeed an unpredictable one.

 

The rain didn’t seem to stop any sooner so Suho decided to wait for it to subside at a near-by café, he’ll be able to enjoy a cup of warm coffee while checking some paper work too. 

 

At first, he had thought that the rain would probably subside soon; he actually hated rainy days. But as the time goes by, the rain seemed not to have any signs of stopping. Giving no options left, Suho fished his phone out of his pocket and dialed a number. He waited patiently until the line was picked up.

 

“Yes, Suho?” Luhan’s voice came across from the other line.

 

“Ah, are you still at the office?”

 

“Technically, yes. Why?”

 

“Can you pick me up? The rain is pouring hard and I have another meeting to rush after lunch so I need to go back as soon as possible. I’m at the coffee shop near YG Enterprise Shanghai’s branch.”

 

“Ah, I wish I can. But I’m in the middle of waiting for someone to come.”

 

Suho squirted his eyes upon that line. It was weird since he knew that Luhan didn’t have any appointment.

 

“I thought you don’t have any other appointment in the afternoon?”

 

The older guy chuckled slightly, “It’s personal. I just want to meet an old friend of mine. It has been so long since I met her. We nearly lost contact so I don’t want to miss the chance of meeting her right now. Why don’t you try to call Tao? He could probably send someone to pick you up…”

 

Suho somehow couldn’t seem to focus on what Luhan was saying as something interesting caught his eyes, well, more like someone.

 

He saw a petite girl was running closer to the coffee shop to hide from the rain. It seemed that her broken umbrella had forced her to find a shelter. She pouted at the sky and heaved a defeated sigh after checking her damaged umbrella. It seemed that she wanted to hire a taxi as she threw a gaze onto the street, only to find none and she puffed another breath through her lips.

 

She might look like an ordinary girl but Suho find her amusing, he felt something warm rising within him as he looked more at the girl.

 

“…ho. Suho! Yah, Kim Joonmyeon!” Luhan’s voice finally drove him back to earth and he realized that he was actually still on the phone. “Yes?”

 

“Are you still listening?”

 

 

Suho was still looking at the girl, “I’ll call you later” He had abruptly ended the conversation and placed his phone onto the table. She was still standing under the shelter outside café while attempting to flag a taxi.

 

He examined her face carefully. She’s definitely good-looking but he would rather describe her aura as sweet and cute rather than the word ‘beautiful’. Suho could tell that she’s really young with her semi-long black hair which was just slightly over her shoulders. Her light beige skin had made him really curious if she’s actually Chinese.

 

In general, she’s just an ordinary girl. So why couldn’t he tear his gaze away from her?

 

He continued watching her while placing his chin against his right hand to observe her. She seemed to be in hurry since she kept checking her watch restlessly.

 

Just then, their eyes met. He was definitely a little overwhelmed. Her crystal clear eyes revealed the maturity that didn’t seem to match her age. It was difficult to read them. Wisdom, pain, hardship, there was such a mix of feeling being expressed was. But he had also caught something; there was a sense of comfort which was sincerely honest.

 

For a moment, Suho felt lost in her eyes.

 

Suddenly, the girl broke off their gaze as she answered her phone. He saw her smiling dearly upon the contact shown on the phone screen. And at the same time, she had finally managed to get a taxi.

 

There was a tremendous urge coming out of nowhere from him in stopping her from leaving. It was a little too late though, since the rain was simply too heavy and she was long gone when Suho ran out of the café.

 

They were just strangers and yet, those forgotten emotions seemed to have been triggered once again.

 

---

 

*Knock Knock*

 

“Yes?” Suho looked up from the report to the lady who had just entered his office.

 

 Kim Hana, Head of Finance department and also his executive assistant and last not least, Kris Wu’s girlfriend was smiling at him.

 

She passed his some documents to sign and gave him another set of folders too, “And these are the reports you’ve asked for”

 

He was indeed impressed at the neatly arranged work; she’d always made sure that everything was perfect, “Thank you, Hana”

 

“And there’s one more thing” Her words made him looked up at her again, “Luhan-shi would like to remind you about the interview today. He insisted very much for you to come.”

 

“It’s starting in 5 minutes, right?”

 

“Yes sir”

 

He closed the report on his hand and leaned his body forward towards the documents. “I better get all the signing done then” The girl nodded and replied with a smile.

 

---

 

There was an interview for a candidate being arranged in the afternoon. To be honest, Suho thought it was totally pointless since it was a fact that this particular person was bound to join the company.

 

But still, they need a form of official procedure to make this ‘unofficial’ employee as an official one. On the other hand, Suho was indeed curious about the mystery employee too, since he was personally recommended but Luhan.

 

At first, he was a little confused why everyone present except Chanyeol, Baekhyun and D.O weren’t. Then the realization hit upon him. Right, they were currently in various areas for business trip too.

 

“Tell me again” Suho turned to Sehun and asked, “Why Luhan needs an assistant?”

 

“He’s working alone ever since you got promoted” The dear dongsae of his explained, “The workload had increased quite a lot so yeah, I quoted him to find an assistant to offload some burden”

 

Suho simply raised his eyebrows and then landed his gaze on to the folder and take out the resume, “Who is it though?”

 

“I just know that she’s someone from Luhan’s household”

 

She? So a female employee then. Hmm..

 

“And quite a beauty too, from what I heard” Kai let out a smirk followed by a grin. Suho could only roll his eyes at the Casanova. The guy’s still pretty much the same after encountered lovelorn when Hana had rejected him officially (in a nice way).

 

Okay so back to the story. It’s still pretty much a mystery of how this new employee managed to enroll in the company that easily. But then, Suho know Luhan well too, he knew the guy would never recommend anyone who’s incapable.

 

So what’s so special of her?

 

Tao took the resume out from the folder, “Her resume is pretty good though” He took a look at it, “She major in Management and had worked in a reputable company in China for 2 years and earned a position of assistant manager” Tao read out her degree and past positions and looked at the boys, “I also heard that she eventually resigned and went to work as an executive assistant fo Luhan’s father”

 

Chen nodded, "That sound good” and Xiumin interjected with a frowning face and continued in a monotone,

 

“She sounds like Hana”

 

The door was suddenly opened and Luhan entered, signaling the interview was starting.

 

“She’s here?”

 

Luhan nodded at Sehun’s question and signaled them to wait for a while. He turned his gaze to behind the door and was smiling. Suho could hear him whispering in Chinese. He managed to catch a line like “Don’t be scared, they’re actually pretty friendly” and “You’re already beautiful”

 

Suho noticed Luhan had a really genuine smile as he looked back at them. “Sorry for waiting” He finally push the door open as a the smile went even wider,

 

“Allow me to introduce my new assistant to you all”

 

The moment Luhan gently pulled that someone behind the door and brought to their sight, Suho let out a silent gasp. He felt it, he felt that warm feeling again and his heart began to beat faster. He felt surreal upon seeing the girl standing in front of him.

 

It was her

 


Author note:

Sorry for the update notification. It's not actually an update. I just revised the chapter (thank you polariskpop for the revision). But I really wish that you can enjoy the fic. Please remember that this story is just a side story of XOXO by skittsebony. If you haven't read XOXO and its sequel, Ah Love, please do, so you can understand more (or probably loving Kris and Hana more??). And don't forget another side story about Xiumin, Baby Don't Cry.

And I have a confession to make. Actually, I intended to give thanks personally on my subcriber's wall. But since I got plenty of subbies overnight, I don't think I can do it anymore. So sorry~ :'(

But I really thankful for every subscribers. Thank you so much for subscribing to this story and I hope you enjoy reading the story. Hum... should I do chapternapping like skittsebony did for XOXO and Ah Love?? Hehehe...