THIRTEEN

August Rain

 


 

 

Mouth gapped and eyes widened; Ling was practically frozen when she saw Suho in front of her door. And for some unknown reason, she felt her heart becoming jumpy seeing him.

 

“Ling.”

 

The call brought her back to reality.

 

“Open the door” Why is he here? “Ling, I know you’re in there.”

 

Ling quickly unlocked the door and opened it as her boss entered the condo; a plastic bag was in his hand “S-sir.”

 

Suho flashed her a smile “Oh, hello, Ling” “What are you doing here?” He shrugged “I’m just checking on you since Luhan is away” What? “I feel a little bit responsible for tearing him apart from you.”

 

Am I too clingy to Han-gege?

 

Ling frowned at the remark. Yes, she was closed with Luhan but she had never thought that people would assume that she couldn’t live without him. She saw him lift the plastic bag on his hand “Here. I brought you food” he handed it over and she took it in her hands.

 

Ling looked at the plastic bag for a while. The scent of fried chicken immediately hits her nose. It was appetizing and made her to realize that she was actually hungry. She had to skip lunch since she needed to write a report for the internal meeting. The meeting itself lasted longer than she had expected so she sacrificed her lunch to be able to finish the report and to replace Hana for the executive’s meeting. Afterward, she had forgotten her hunger that is until she smelled the appetizing fried chicken in her hands right now.

 

“Thank you so much” Ling mumbled the word but loud enough for Suho to hear. It made him smile “You’re welcome. I’ll be going then.”

 

As he turned to leave, Ling called him back “Sir” she gulped and tried to consider whether inviting him for home-made dinner was proper or not. But whatever, this guy had been nice to her and she wanted to return his favor at least once “Do you…” she paused “…do you want to stay for dinner?”

 

 

Do you want to stay for dinner… Suho repeated the question in his mind. He couldn’t believe that he was actually being invited by Ling. It was a progression and it made his heart pound. And it’s hard to suppress the urge to smile. “Yeah, sure.”

 

The girl tucked her lips as she heard his answer then nodded as she stepped aside “Then, please come in” she said before turning and walking inside.

 

Suho slightly lifted the corner of his lips then took off his shoes before entering the premises. As he arrived at the living room, he saw Ling turning around the kitchen pantry. A small smile crept onto his face as the girl in the kitchen, checking rice cooker and refrigerator. He took off his jacket and slung it on the back rest of the sofa before looking around.

 

Luhan’s condo… it was actually a familiar place for him; he used to treat the place as if it was his place. Well, actually all his friends did the same. But with only Ling alone at the place, he thought it would be improper if he did what he had usually done.

 

“Sir” he turned his gaze to Ling “Do you want to drink?” Suho nodded “Just water, please” he sat on the sofa and looked around some more.

 

He started to notice that Luhan’s condo had become cleaner ever since Ling stayed with him. Well, not that Luhan’s place was always messy; perhaps his place was cleaner than his. But hey, they were all bachelors and what could you expect from bachelors? His attention then got distracted by Ling who had come and put a glass of water on the coffee table.

 

“Thanks, Ling”

 

She withdrew herself with a shy smile and returned to the kitchen to cook. Suho noticed that she still wore her office attire and to think that the attire could be stained, he stood up and approached her.

 

“Hey, Ling” he called her softly, making the girl turn to see him “Why don’t you change your clothes first?”

 

“Eh?” she looked down to her clothes, or more particular to her skirt. It was white and she understood that she would have twice to work with if it got stained “Ah, right”

 

“I can help preparing the ingredients while you’re changing” Suho offered. The girl awkwardly nodded then put down the knife “I’m sorry. I’ll be quick. So can you prepare the kimchi?”

 

Suho took a quick glance to the kimchi that already lay on the cutting board and back to Ling, nodding “Sure” “Just cut them into bite-size” The girl gave him an apologetic look “I’m sorry again” she turned and went to her room.

 

Suho scratched the back of his head after she left. Despite of saying that he would help cutting the kimchi, he was still clueless of what he would do to it. Cut with the knife for sure, but what kind of cut he would need to make. Suddenly questions were running through his mind and all that he could do was staring at the ingredient until a voice cut his thought.

 

“Sir.”

 

Suho turned his gaze and saw Ling, wearing plain loose t-shirt and black leggings with amusing look on her face. Her hair was tied into one on her back. Somehow, Suho thought that she looked… homely. But what’s with the amused look?

 

“Is there any trouble?” she was approaching him.

 

Forcing a smile on his lips, he said, “I’m fine” he looked back to the cutting board; a big piece of Kimchi was still intact whereas he supposed to cut it “But hmm…”

 

A soft chuckle of the girl made him look back to her “You’ve never cooked before, right?” Bulls-eye. Damn, she had hit his pride directly. But yeah, he would need to admit it “Yeah” he sighed inwardly.

 

Instead of saying something, she only shook her head amusingly while stepping to front of the cutting board.

 

“I’m sorry” Suho said as she took the knife. A soft and understanding smile appeared on her face “It’s fine” she expertly removed the thick part of the nappa cabbage kimchi “I’ve seen it coming” “You did?”

 

She only nodded “Since Han-gege can’t cook as well”

 

Cue of a heart getting scattered into pieces. Suho mentally groaned. Why does she have to bring out Luhan into the conversation? He only smiled and leaned his back on the kitchen table “Yeah, I think we’re good in business world but in home chores”

 

She only smiled “Well, no one is perfect.”

 

And Suho only scoffed to hear it as he looked downward. He heard the chopping sound and lifted his gaze to see how Ling handled the knife skillfully as she cut the kimchi, hams and sausages into bite size. She then took a wok and started to heat it before putting butter and stir-fried the ingredients. Finally, she scooped the rice from the rice cooker, put them to the wok, and mixed them all.

 

While she was cooking, Suho decided to set up the table. He knew where Luhan kept his eating utensils after all. After she finished, Ling put them on the dining table, in front of Suho.

 

“I don’t know if you’ll like it or not” she gave a warning as she had sat on her chair “We won’t know unless we try” Suho took the spoon and gave a try.

 

Wow, aside from doing the office work so well, she was good in cooking. Her home-made kimchi fried rice was delicious. It also reminded him that he was hungry “It’s good, Ling” She let out a relieved smile “Really?” Suho nodded “Now I understand why Luhan doesn’t like to eat out lately. You’re a good cook” He caught a glimpse of pink shades on her cheeks as she dropped her gaze “Thank you, Sir.”

 

Again, Suho thought that she was so adorable “And in return, will you allow me to clean the table and wash the dishes?”

 

She immediately lifted her gaze and looked at him as if she wanted to say, ‘seriously, sir’. But Suho flashed her a smile “You’ve cooked. So I think it’s not fair to make you to do the cleaning and the dishes as well” “But…” “I insist, Ling” the girl pressed her lips thin “I won’t break any dish. I’m actually good in cleaning up and washing dishes” he added. She heaved a defeated sigh “Alright.”

 

As he had told her, Suho washed the dishes. Ling brought the dirty dishes to the sink and took the dry napkin to dry up the washed dishes. After he had done, Suho took a quick glance to the wall clock. It was 8PM and he thought that it wouldn’t be proper if he stayed any longer. He turned to Ling.

 

“Ling” he called, making the girl lift her gaze on him “Yes?” “I think I need to go now” the girl blinked “Why?” “It’s getting late and I don’t think it’s right for me to stay longer than this since you’re alone” Ling turned her gaze to the clock and back to him “Ah… yes” she dropped her gaze.

 

Wait, did he just heard disappointment in her voice? Nevertheless, he really needed to leave. He took his jacket and walked toward the door with Ling tailing him. He wore his shoes and lifted his gaze to the girl who stood on the higher platform.

 

“Thank you for accompanying me, Sir” Ling bowed. Suho scoffed amusingly. This girl really needed to learn calling him by his name “I think it’s either way. Thank you for inviting me” Ling purged her lips and nodded without looking at him. Suho looked at her for a moment; a thought of liking her appearance at home had brought smile on his face “See you tomorrow, Ling”

 

He then turned and walked toward the door. But he stopped on his track and looked back to her “Ling” “Yes?” “I was thinking…” he scratched the side of his head as he turned to face the girl “Since Luhan is away, can I take you out for lunch or dinner? At least, until he comes back.”

 

“Sir, you know that you don’t have to feel responsible about Han-gege and me” “No, no. This time, it’s not about Luhan. I just want to take you out” Suho stopped his words in the right time before certain words slipped through his lips… certain words such as ‘for a date’.

 

The girl only stared at him for a moment, probably looking for some clues of what he had done. Somehow it made his nervousness growing. He realized that Ling was a lot smarter than her look and how she behaved.

 

But to his relief, Suho noticed a calm upward curve coming to her lips and she nodded “Okay, Sir” “Then, I’ll call you tomorrow” she nodded again “See you” Suho then turned and left the condo while trying to suppress the urge of smile that always found a way back to his face.

 

Oh my, Kim Joonmyeon… today is a beautiful day, isn’t it?

 

 

 

Luhan closed his room’s door as he had finished his dinner with his parents. He dropped himself to his bed and grabbed his phone. Sliding his thumb across the glossy surface, he unlocked the phone.

 

His brows knitted as his phone wallpaper welcomed him. Okay, that’s weird.

 

Mrs. Lu told him that Ling had called earlier, looking for him. So he was expecting to see many miscalls from the girl on his phone when he opened it up. If he hadn’t known her, he would have thought that she forgot to call him. But no, Ling wasn’t the type of girl who would easily forget something important, especially when it came to work. So there must be something happened. It made him worry to think that he wasn’t there beside her. He pressed the first number on his phone; it was a speed dial to her phone; then waited until the line connected.

 

Hello, Gege?

 

A smile came to his face to hear her voice “Did you call earlier?

 

Yes, I did. I called to report about today’s meeting. I have sent you the report to your email” “Tell me about it.

 

As he heard her reporting the internal meeting today, he noticed something from her voice. Her voice seemed different; it sounded more cheerful.

 

Ling” he interjected “Yes, Ge?” “Did something good happen today?” he could hear her humming “Nothing” Somehow, the way of her replying him grew suspicion on him “Really?” “Yes” “But you didn’t call me afterward.

 

Ah, sorry. Mr. Kim came so I couldn’t call.

 

Suho came to their place, he frowned. He crossed his arm on his chest, making it as a support for his other elbow “He did?” He imagined that she was nodding “He brought me food and I invited him for dinner.

 

A moment of silent since Luhan was shocked to say something. Although he knew that Suho would eventually take his act to get her attention, but it surprised him to know that Ling had invited the guy to have dinner with her.

 

Unconsciously, his gaze shifted to a certain frame on his bedside’s table. To be precise, it was a picture of him and Ling when they were still kids.

 

There, he was wearing a tuxedo while Ling was wearing a white gown with long veil; she looked beautiful even as a child. He remembered that they did it for role-playing but he had promised her that he would marry her when they grew up. It was only a silly childhood promise but eventually he determined to protect her and make her happy; it was something that he had done for years. And after he had fallen out of love for her, he knew that someday he would need to hand over the task to protect her to someone else. So what is this reluctant and bothered feeling that he feels right now?

 

Ge” the call brought him back to reality “Are you alright?” Luhan forced a smile “I’m fine, Ling. Did he do something weird at you? I always can fly back to Seoul to kick his if he did

 

Will you really do that for me?” she sounded unsure and sarcastic. Yes!

 

No way, little sis” he didn’t know why he replied like that “Kris will kill me if I dare to do that” He heard her heaving a sigh “Just as I thought. But seriously, I’m fine here, Ge. Don’t worry about me too much. Besides, Mr. Kim didn’t do anything weird at me. He is nice.

 

Luhan scoffed to hear it. Yeah, he knew that Suho was nice but… “Guys are still guys, Ling” “Yeah, Ge. I understand” she sighed.

 

Silent fell between them. But he was curious about something.

 

Ling…” “Yes, Ge?”

 

He had asked her once. So should he ask her again or not? Hmm… probably he should.

 

Do you like Suho?”

 


Author's Note:

Sorry for this lame chapter. I really dont know what I should write. But guess what, today (June 16th, 2014) is my Third Anniversary here at AFF. Isn't it wonderful??

But thank you so much for reading this chapter. I should warn you that this chapter is still un-beta-ed except for few parts. And thank you for these upvoters: