SIXTEEN

August Rain

Ding.

 

The sound of the elevator made Ling looked up from her laptop. She could guess who had come. Glancing at her watch, she saw that it was already ten passed 9 AM. He was late.

 

She pushed herself off from her seat and took the tablet before going out to greet her boss. But she quickly stopped in her track because she saw that Suho wasn’t alone. Kim Hyeri was with him. And she was touching the guy’s face.

 

Ling tightly grabbed the tablet as she dropped her gaze; unable to bring herself to see them together. She could feel something rising up from the bottom of her stomach and something was boiling inside her. Anger.

 

“Ah, Ling.”

 

She lifted her gaze upon the call. She saw Suho approaching her with his usual smile; Hyeri was following him.

 

“Is that my schedule?” Without saying anything, Ling handed the tablet to him. Suho thanked her and scrolled through.

 

Hyeri took a peek of the schedule and turned her gaze to him “Oppa, do you have many meeting?” “Uhn.” Suho nodded “My schedule is quite packed today.” The girl pouted “So you can’t take me to lunch today?” She whined, looking disappointed. Suho only chuckled. “You know that I will always find a time for you, right?”

 

Perhaps, if the couple were to notice Ling’s expression, they could probably see anger. How could she not?

 

Suho had come late, wasting ten minutes which he could actually use for reviewing documents. He also came with someone who was not working for the company; an unauthorized person. Ling mentally note that she needed to file a complaint to the lobby security later regarding this matter. Furthermore, the girl was acting all cute at him and he seemed fine with it. Ugh. She could only secretly wish for Suho to not cancel any of his schedules because of the girl’s whine. Ling had tried so hard to arrange his schedule so he could enjoy a few hours to do the documents and rest.

 

“But I want to have lunch with you, Oppa. You’ve promised that you’ll help me find a present today.” She whined again. Suho turned his gaze at her and smiled. “We can go later in the night.” “But I have a practice schedule tonight. Can you cancel the meeting?”

 

That’s it. Ling couldn’t take it anymore. It might sound off rude and stern but she couldn’t care. She took the tablet back from Suho. “I’ll cancel your appointment for lunch meeting, Sir. I think Mr. Wang wouldn’t mind for a dinner meeting instead.” She her heels and went back to her office, almost slamming the door behind her.

 

Ling heaved. She needed to calm down. But when she had done so, she could feel that suffocating feeling again. It had suffocated her till it brought tears to her eyes even though she didn’t want it. She knew that she wasn’t supposed to cry. But it just hurts to see them together.

 

Knock, knock.

 

Ling took a quick glance to her door and quickly wiped away the tears that had rolled down her cheeks. “Please come in,” She said before going around the table to her seat.

 

Suho opened the door as he heard the cue. He saw the girl piling the documents that were spreading on her table. “Ling.” He called her and received an ‘Hmm?’ as a reply. But she didn’t look back at him, still burying herself with her documents “You don’t need to cancel the schedule with Mr. Wang. I can go for the lunch meeting.” “Okay.”

 

Composed, stern and cold. Those were what Suho felt from her reply. It made him guilty, as if he had done something wrong to her. “I’m sorry.” He apologized. But Ling answered him with another ‘Hmm’, still keeping her eyes on the documents in her hands, with frowns on her face.

 

He realized that Ling didn’t look back at him, not even once. Something tugged inside him. It wasn’t like her to act so stern and cold. But he tried to convince himself that it would be better to ask her later so he chose not to say anything and left the girl alone.

 

Another sigh came after the door shut. Ling put down the documents and dropped herself to her seat. What was actually happening to her?

 

Somewhere inside, she felt guilty for being cold towards Suho. But she couldn’t help it since she always felt angry whenever she saw the girl with him. She knew that the guy didn’t actually do anything wrong; she was angry at him without any legit reason. Ling dropped her head to the table. She really don’t understand herself.

 

 

 

Luhan was working on his laptop in the afternoon. Kris had assigned him a temporary room for him to work in Wu Prime so he could still do his job as Wu Enterprise’s General Affair Department Head. He was checking through some documents that Ling had sent him via email. But as he was reviewing a report from one of his manager, he found something was weird so he fished out his phone and called the girl.

 

Hello, Ling.” He shot out when the line picked up. “Yes?

 

The short reply made Luhan’s brows knitted. He sensed that something was weird from her voice. But he decided to put it aside first because he had something important to ask her.

 

Can you check Jang Intae’s report?” He heard shuffling sound on the other line; perhaps the girl was finding the said report. “On page 8 for his agreement, there’s a point about dividend sharing. I don’t think that the share is right. We have given them more than we supposed to give. If they don’t give us more, cancel the agreement.

 

A long pause came before Ling replied “Alright.” with a nasal voice. Something was definitely wrong, his instinct told him. Luhan could sense it through her voice. And he swore that he heard a sniff shortly before she replied. “Ling, did you just cry?

 

He heard the girl taking a deep breath before replying “No.” But he knew that she was lying. He had known her well enough to distinguish her emotion through her voice. Ling was not actually good in lying. “Don’t lie. I know you too well. What’s the matter?

 

I’m telling the truth, Ge. There’s nothing wrong.

 

But she had failed to convince him.

 

But, Ge…

 

Oh, there’s more.

 

I just wonder if I can go back to China.

 

Why?

 

I miss everyone back at home.

 

Luhan felt a tug on his heart when he heard it. He could hear that her voice sounded down, as if she had something that she wanted to tell him but she couldn’t. He realized that she didn’t have anyone in Seoul. His friends have all failed in making Ling stepping out her comfort zone, her timid nature. Somehow, he regretted leaving her behind in Seoul. Perhaps, he wasn’t supposed to bring her to Seoul in the first place. Then he heard another soft sniff coming from the other line.

 

Wait, a sniff? His heart suddenly dropped.

 

But it’s fine. Just forget about it.” Her voice sounded normal. But Luhan knew that she was forcing herself to sound normal. “I’ll check on Mr. Jang’s report and will inform him to make another deal. I still have many things to do. See you, Ge.

 

The line was abruptly cut off before Luhan could say something. Luhan lowered his phone. Something has definitely happened but she was stubborn enough to not want to tell him. Honestly, it always got him worrying.

 

Luhan looked back at his phone and dialled a particular number before pressing it to his ear. The other line answered after a few rings.

 

What do you want, Luhan?” the grumpy voice told him that the owner was bothered. “Yah, Kris. You know that you owed me a big time lately, right? Now it’s time to return the favor.” Kris groaned on the other side “What favor?

 

 

 

 

Ling turned off the car engine then leaned back on her seat while heaving a sigh. She was cursing mentally for what she had done earlier. It seemed that every emotion that had been bottled up inside for the past few days exploded in an instant. She was angry at Suho. And in the end, she just left without saying anything to him.

 

It was all because of Kim Hyeri and her spoiled act around Suho.

 

She knew that Suho was a very responsible guy for his job; that he could draw the line between his work and personal life. But what the hell with acting spoiled to the point that it was almost disturbing his schedule. She knew that Suho will always end up choosing his work before Kim Hyeri. Kim Hyeri also acted as if she knows everything about Suho, as if she owned him. Worst, Ling has started to think that Kim Hyeri might have slept with him. It was really bothering her.

 

Perhaps, she had thought highly of Suho. Perhaps, she had put too much respect and expectation on the guy. Perhaps, she had opened up too much to him. Perhaps, she has been too overwhelmed and thought that the guy might be interested in her.

 

That was why she was getting hurt. Every beat of her heart felt suffocating. She has depended on him too much. Worst, she has fallen too deep for him. Stupid Ling.

 

Ling bit back her lower lip and looked up to prevent her tears from rolling down. She took a deep breath and let it out through her lips. She really needed to compose herself. She heaved another breath before getting out from her car and headed to her condo.

 

She entered her condo just to be greeted by silence and darkness. All the lights were out except for the one on the front door; it was a sensor light that will turn on whenever someone entered the door. But she noticed a dim light coming from the living room. Sighing, she thought that perhaps she had forgotten to turn off the table lamp. How can she be so forgetful?

 

Heaving another sigh, she took off her shoes and placed them on the shoes rack. Being alone in a lavish condo didn’t really help her at all. It made her felt lonelier, thinking that no one would be there waiting for her when she entered. She her heels and walked in with her head hung low.

 

I think I’ve told you to call me if you’re coming home late.

 

A familiar voice made her stopped in her track. She lifted her head and a familiar smirk welcomed her.

 

Do you miss me, Xiao Meimei?

 

Omo, it’s Luhan.

 

Somehow, Ling felt relieved when she saw him. She dropped her bag and coat before hugging his waist. Leaning her forehead on the crook on his shoulder, she allow every tears she had held back to roll down her cheeks.

 

Luhan stiffened upon the sudden act of Ling. He was more surprised to see the girl crying while hugging him. It really got him thinking that something must have gone wrong. He was contemplating whether he should ask or not.

 

Ge.

 

He heard her calling between her sobbing.

 

Can I go back home to China?

 

Curious, Luhan quickly replied, “Why?

 

She didn’t reply him. She only pushed herself away and walked passed him to head to her own bedroom; her head hung low.

 

Luhan wanted to stop her. But he decided to let her be, thinking that she was better left alone for now. He could check on her later when she had calmed down.

 

 

Around thirty minutes later, Luhan knocked on her bedroom door. No answer; he decided to enter the room instead. He opened the door and saw Ling lying on her bed with her back facing him. Luhan heaved a soft sigh and approached her. He sat on the bed and leaned closer. He could see the trace of her tears on her cheek. He pushed the strand of hair back her ear.

 

Are you okay?” He asked. Ling replied with a nod and continued sobbing. “Do you want to eat something?” She shook her head this time.

 

Luhan heaved a sigh before saying, “Come here.

 

He shifted his sitting position so his back was leaning on the headboard and his feet stretched out on the bed. He took a pillow and let her put her head on his lap. From his position, he could see tears gathering on her eyes; it rolled down when she closed her eyes. He lifted his hand and caressed her hair gently. He could see that she was trying very hard to hold back her tears but failed miserably.

 

Should I ask why did you cry?

 

Should she tell him her reason for crying? Should she tell him that she was feeling hurt whenever she saw Suho with another girl? Should she tell him that she was stupid enough by opening up too much for a guy to the point that it was hurting her so much to know that she was actually nothing to the guy?

 

No.

 

Ling was afraid that Luhan would do something stupid. And hurting Suho was the last thing that Ling ever wanted to do. “No,” she finally replied between sobs.

 

A moment of silence break between them. Weird. She knew that Luhan was always able to give her the comfort she wants. He always could. But why can’t she feel the comfort around him now? It seemed that he wasn’t the one that she wanted to comfort her right now. And she knows who she wants.

 

Ling. You do know that I cared about you the most, right?

 

Ling nodded.

 

And you’re an important person to me.

 

Ling nodded again.

 

So you know that I’m willing to protect you from everything, right?

 

Even if it’s to the point of risking your friendship with your best friend?

 

This time, Luhan went silent and looked down at the girl. So it was because of Suho, right, little sis?

 

It was quite disappointing to know that he was never someone special to Ling. But he always know that he couldn’t be someone more than a brother to Ling. So far, he was satisfied with it. At least as a brother, he could take care of her and protect her. And perhaps as a brother, he could help her to make things right this time.

 

He heaved a silent sigh and leaned back his head.

 

Suho, what have you done to my sweet angel?

 

 

 

 

On the next morning, Suho arrived at his office. As he arrived on the center of executive office’s lobby, he stopped and frowned. That’s weird. He whipped his gaze to the door on the side. It seemed that no one was there behind that door. He his heels and walked to that door. Opening the door, he saw no one inside.

 

Where’s Ling?

 

His gaze then fell to the tablet on the desk. He came closer and took the tablet. He the device and scrolled through the data, just to find that it was his yesterday’s schedule. So Ling has not prepared his schedule for today. But where was the girl? It was not her working style to be absent from work, especially without notifying him.

 

Suho fished out his phone and dialled her number.

 

The number that you’ve dialled is not available. Please try again later.”

 

Damn, she turned off her phone. Suho lowered his phone and decided to send her a message instead. It was very unprofessional of her to skip work without notifying him; he was her boss for god’s sake.

 

But he realized that it might be his fault as well. He had made her angry; he could feel it yesterday when Ling suddenly took the tablet away from him and left without saying anything last evening. So he drafted another message, telling her that he was sorry for making her angry and that he could understand if Ling wanted a day off. And if she comes back tomorrow, he wants to take her out for a dinner.

 

He sent the message and pocketed his phone before leaving the room.

 

 

 

Ling woke up and saw that the sun was shining bright through her bedroom's curtain. She looked at her alarm clock; 10.08 AM was displayed. She was late for work. But it was fine for her; she wasn’t ready to meet Suho. She needed time to calm herself. Lazily, Ling stood up from the bed and went to the bathroom.

 

When she looked herself on the mirror, her eyes were red and swelling. Last night, she has allowed herself to cry as much as she wanted until she got tired and fell asleep; she didn’t bother to get changed or to clean up. So Ling decided to have a shower to freshen herself up.

 

After her bath, she went to Luhan’s room to check on the guy. She remembered Luhan telling her that he needs to take a flight back to China in the afternoon. So she really needed to wake him up before he was late for the check-in. But when she opened his door, she found no one inside. Okay, that’s weird. Where’s Han-gege? Where did he go?

 

Wanting to call him to find out his whereabouts’, Ling looked for her phone. She remembered that she had dropped her bag on the living room. Ah, there it was. She found her bag on the sofa. Luhan might have put it there. Ling took it and searched for her phone inside. But she couldn’t find it. She lifted her gaze and tilted her head. She remembered that she had put her phone in her bag. Or perhaps she had brought it to her room last night; she couldn’t remember. So she decided to check. Midway, her steps stopped as she saw the device being placed upside down on the dining table.

 

Taking the device, she pressed the button to turn on the screen. Weird, she didn’t remember turning off the phone. And when she turned it on, two messages popped up; both were from Suho.

 

Ling opened the first one; it was more like a lecture. Suho was asking her whereabouts’ and why she didn’t inform him if she wanted to take a day-off. She guessed that it was normal because Suho was her boss. But the second one… oh gosh, is this how a boss would text his employee?

 

Suho was asking for her forgiveness and also an invitation for a dinner tomorrow. Her heart almost jumped out when she saw the last five words. Take me out for dinner, she repeated the words. Does it sound like an invitation for a date?

 

Then something struck her, making her gasp in realization. Omo, she suddenly thought she knew where Luhan has gone to. Ling her heels and rushed out. She only wished that she wasn’t too late.

 

 

 

Sehun came out from the elevator and walked across the lobby to the exit with light steps. It was almost lunch time and he has decided to get bubble tea as an appetizer. The 9 o’clock meeting did not allow him to do his daily routine.

 

But he quickly stopped his steps as he saw a certain guy entering the lobby. Dooh, that guy was supposed to be in China. So why he was here, not to mention with a look that screamed bloody murder on his face? The employees quickly rushed to clear a way for him, probably has sent his dark aura.

 

Sehun lifted his hand, wanting to greet the guy. But Luhan only walked passed him without saying anything. Gosh, what happened to that guy?

 

He saw Luhan almost punching the up button when an elevator closed its door. The elevator door dinged open again and the employees inside quickly came out. The guy entered and the door closed. Somehow, Sehun felt the urge to go with him. He felt that something bad would happen. So he his heels and went back to the elevator.

 

 

Suho was discussing logistic matter with Lay on the Executive Office lobby when he heard someone calling his name in anger.

 

“YAH! KIM JOONMYEON!”

 

Suho turned and received a punch on his cheek. As he stumbled, he could hear Lay gasping in surprise. What the hell

 

Then grasps on his collar made him face the one who had punched him. It was Luhan; and he looked fuming mad.

 

“You ing bastard. What have you done to my sister?”

 

“Luhan…” Suho wanted to sway his hands away but he pulled him back.

 

“How dare you to make her cry?” Luhan hissed

 

What? Suho was caught off guard and received another punch from Luhan before Sehun came to the scene and pushed the older guy away from Suho. “Yah! Hyung! What did you do?” But Luhan only glanced at him, silencing with his glare. Sehun has never seen him that angry before.

 

Suho wiped the side of his lips as he tasted blood on his mouth. Oh , Luhan had punched him hard. But Ling cried? He felt as if a knife has stabbed him. It was his fault, he just knew. He looked at the older guy. “I’m sorry, Luhan. I’m really sorry.” It was the only thing that he could say right now.

 

“If you’re sorry, then why did you hurt her in the first place?” Suho couldn’t reply the question.

 

Seeing his silence, Luhan stretched out his hand to grab Suho’s collar again. Sehun tried to block him but Luhan was stronger. “You know what? I’ve put her under your care. I’ve let her to be your assistant because I’m expecting you to be the last person who will hurt her.” He pulled Suho closer. “But look what have you done?!”

 

Breaking free from Sehun’s block, Luhan gave the CEO another punch and that made him fall. He wanted to pull him up to give him another punch but a girl rushed to stop him. It was Ling and she tried to push him away with all her might.

 

“Gege, stop!”

 

Luhan was pushed back and he quickly glared at the girl. But Ling didn’t move a bit. It made Luhan unable to do something. He heaved a sigh to calm his anger but he was still angry at Suho. He looked back at the guy. “You know what? It was my fault to bring her into Wu Enterprise. So I’m taking her back to China now.”

 

Ling’s jaw dropped as she heard the words. But before Luhan could grab her hand, someone had taken her hand and pulled her back. Ling turned her gaze and saw someone moving to her front, preventing Luhan from bringing her away. It was Suho and there was a killer gaze in his eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, Luhan” the guy sounded stern “But I am not letting you to bring her back to China.” He whipped his gaze to Lay, making the latter straighten his back in fear. “Lay, tell Tao and Xiumin that I am cancelling their 2PM meeting. Tell them that I won't be coming back for the rest of the day so they can look for me with their concept tomorrow morning.” He then walked away, dragging Ling along with him towards the elevator.

 

Lay puffed through his mouth. “I’ve never seen Suho that angry before. He looked so scary.” Sehun only nodded in agreement.

 

 

Suho pulled Ling into the elevator and he pressed the lower ground button. He was angry; he had enough with all these drama. How could Ling be so dense and not know his feelings? He had dropped countless hints but she had never understood.

 

“Sir, it hurts.” It made him realized that he had grabbed her hand too firmly. He released her hand and muttered a ‘Sorry’. The girl turned to face him. “But what was that? Why are you fighting with Gege?” She looked worried and concerned as she lifted her hand, touching the part where he lips bleed. “Gosh… he really sent hard punches to your face.”

 

Her touch was so gentle. Suho was unable to hold back his feelings anymore. He grabbed both of her hands. “Ling, do you like me?”

 

Her gaze turned into puzzled “Huh?”

 

“Do. You. Like. Me.” He repeated and continued, “Because I like you.”

 

She only blinked and stared at him. Perhaps she was looking for signs of humour in Suho’s eyes so she could consider it as a joke and laugh it away. But no, all she could see was seriousness and still seriousness. But Ling decided to brush it off so she sniggered.

 

“Don’t give me a heart attack, Sir. Of course, you like me. You like me like how you like the other employees of this company. It’s like how you like Hana, Han-gege, Mr. Byun, Mr. Oh…”

 

No, Ling, you’ve gotten it wrong.

 

Gosh, he needed to make her realise what he really meant. Suho pulled her closer and the next moment, Ling’s speech was interrupted as Suho placed his lips on hers.

 

Yes, he kissed her.

 

When Suho broke the kiss, a loving smile bloomed on his face. “No, Ling. I like you romantically.”

 

Gulp.

 

Did he just… confess?


The derp squad who cheered enthusiastically for the confession.

 

Thank you for all the readers, the subscribers, those who have left comments. Please forgive all the grammar errors, it's still un-beta-ed. Thank you, Seobiee123 for fixing the grammars.

And thank you so much for these upvoters: