NINETEEN

August Rain

Thank you for Seobiee123 for betaing the chapter.


 

Tack. Tack. Tack.

 

It stopped for a while and a turning sound of the heels was heard before another round of tacking heels began again. It kept repeating because the nervousness grew in time. It has been ten minutes since the supposed meeting with the investors had started in the executive meeting room. But her boss was still not seen. Ling mentally screamed in panic. Oh, gosh. Where is he?

 

The sound of the opening door made her stop and turned to the door. Luhan appeared with an annoyed look. “Ling, where’s Suho? The investors are becoming restless. We need him now to give a presentation on the company’s progression,” he hissed.

 

When Ling was about to reply, Luhan’s attention was diverted to somewhere behind her. She turned and saw the said guy half-running towards them. Luhan closed the door. “Yah! Where have you been? Don’t you know what time is it now?” he scolded the younger guy as the latter arrived in front of them. Suho placed his hands on his hip and exhaled breathlessly. “Sorry. I was caught in a bad traffic jam.”

 

Luhan could only sigh upon hearing his reason. No one could blame Suho for the bad traffic jam. Not even the mighty Kris Wu could solve the problem. “Xiumin is presenting the marketing plan to drag some time for you. You will take over after him.” He gave him a brief. “Okay.” “Just get in right away.” Luhan went in again.

 

Suho puffed and realized that Ling was still with him. “I’m sorry for troubling you,” he apologized. “It’s fine. This is the document for your presentation.” She then handed him a folder. “Thanks.” He opened the folder and looked through the document quickly.

 

“Uhm, Sir.”

 

He looked up again at her. “Your…” she pointed at his collar but then decided to help him instead. “Sorry.” She moved forward and fixed Suho’s tie and collar that were slightly crooked.

 

A satisfaction smile was brought to her face. “There. You’re now ready, Sir,” she said before taking a step backward.

 

Suho only smiled. “Thanks again. And could you please make a cup of coffee for me? I think I need it. I couldn’t sleep last night.” Ling nodded. “Alright, Sir.” She then turned, wanting to leave.

 

But Suho quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her to face him again. And the next thing she knew was, Suho had pecked her lips. Her eyes went wide and her body froze in realization that he had kissed her; not to mention, in the office!

 

Oh gosh, Kim Joonmyeon. Did we not make a promise to not show affection in the office?!

 

Ling panicked.

 

Meanwhile, the guy only gave her a lopsided smile and winked. “Thanks. I really need that. Wish me luck for my presentation, okay?” He pecked the girl’s forehead before entering the meeting room.

 

When the door closed, snapped out from her dreamy state. She turned to lean her back on the wall, hands cupping her cheeks to hide her hot flushed face. Her heart was fluttering because of the sudden kiss.

 

Aigoo… that guy has become bolder lately.

 

Ling still couldn’t get used of his sudden act even though they have been dating for a couple of months now. Other than his romantic surprises, his playful teases and his weird way of expressing himself that always kept Ling frowning or laughing while shaking her head; he would also give her a kiss like that sometimes. It never failed in giving her a mini heart attack. But most of time, she found it cute and sweet. And honestly, she liked it.

 

But wait… ah yeah, coffee.

 

Ling pushed her body away from the wall and walked to the executive pantry. She needed to make coffee for Suho. He was still her boss after all.

 

 

 

The meeting went well. The investors looked satisfied with the report. They even wanted to continue their investment for the year. Suho felt relieved. At least, he had managed to keep the investors; it would be a reward for him since he was rather late earlier.

 

Suho entered his office with Chen and Xiumin behind him. He placed the folder on his table and took two envelopes before turning to his friends who have already plopped themselves on the sofa.

 

“Finally it’s over,” Xiumin said as he leaned back on the sofa and turned his gaze to Suho. The latter tapped his shoulder with an envelope and Xiumin took it. “I can finally sleep well tonight.”

 

Suho only chuckled upon hearing his statement. He understood that his friends had worked hard for today. They even did overtime for a few days in a row. “I won’t complain if you want to leave early today.” Suho joined them on the sofa. “But thanks for covering me up, Minseok. I owe you for this one.”

 

Xiumin leaned forward to get his folder and slipped the envelope in the folder. “You’re welcome. But if you want to pay me back, then just give me some time off next week.”

 

A wide smile appeared on Chen’s face. “Don’t tell me that you want to go to China again, Hyung.”

 

Xiumin only scoffed. “Unless Suho can bring Yookyung back to Seoul, I think I’ll still be going to and fro between China and Korea.” Suho only shook his head. “It’s not my decision to make, Xiumin. I can give you a day off on Monday. But I’m expecting you to be here on Tuesday.” “Deal.” Xiumin then pushed himself off the sofa. “I’ll be in my office if you need something.”

 

Suho only nodded. He then turned to Chen and handed another envelope to the guy. “Here.”

 

“What’s this?” Chen took the invitation. “An invitation to my parents’ anniversary party.”

 

“Ah…” the guy opened the invitation and took the card out. “So it’s here again, isn’t it?” he looked back at Suho “How long have they been married? 30 years?”

 

Leaning back, Suho scoffed and nodded. “Yeah, it has been 30 years and they are still in love. I really wonder how they keep their marriage going even until today.”

 

Chen sniggered “Well, perhaps you can if you find the right one. You see how Hana and our Kris, right?” A smile came to Suho’s face as he admitted that Chen was right “Yeah, you’re right.”

 

“Okay then” Chen exhaled “Tell your parents that I’ll be coming for their party.” He stood up and went to the door. But before he left the room, he turned and called the other guy “Hey. Since you’ll be busy at your parents’ wedding anniversary party, do you think I can ask Ling-ssi to be my companion?”

 

Suho quickly dropped his smile and threw him a death glare. “Do you want to die?”

 

Laughing, Chen left the office. Suho only shook his head and stood up from the sofa. He has many things to do today.

 

 

 

Knocks were heard on Suho’s door. He lifted his gaze from the document to the clock. It was already 12PM; no wonder if the knocks came. He could also guess who knocked on his door and the reason as well. “Come in,” he said as he looked back to his documents.

 

The door creaked open and Ling appeared. Suho signed the document and looked up to see that the girl across of him. “Sir, do you want to go outside for lunch? Or do you want me to buy your lunch?”

 

A small lopsided smile came to Suho’s lips. He knew that Ling would come and ask the question. It has become her daily routine whenever the clock strucks 12 and when Suho was still in his office. Suho put down his pen and closed the document. “I think I want to go outside.” She smiled. “Alright.” She turned and wanted to go.

 

“But Ling.”

 

She stopped and turned back to Suho. “Yes?”

 

“Would you be meeting Luhan for lunch?” She shook her head. “Could you accompany me for lunch then?” A pinkish blush appeared on her cheeks and Suho thought that it was cute. But she nodded. “Okay.”

 

“Good,” he then said and stood up to walk towards the girl. “Go and get your stuff. I’ll be waiting by the elevator.” Ling bowed and went out.

 

 

 

Approximately thirty minutes later, they were having their lunch in a restaurant and were talking happily. It was no longer so awkward for Ling anymore to have a normal conversation with Suho although he was still been the one who initiated most of the conversation.

 

“By the way, Ling.” Ling lifted her gaze to Suho. “Has Luhan told you about the party tomorrow?” “Is it your parent’s anniversary party?” Suho nodded. “Yes, he did.” “Will you be coming as well?” Ling tilted her head. “Yes. How could I not come? Your parents are Lu family’s acquaintances. It will be rude if I don’t show up.”

 

Upon hearing her reason for attending the party, Suho tucked his lower lip, pretending to be pouting. “So, you come only for my parents, huh?” “Eh?” Ling was confused by the question. Why would she attend his parents’ anniversary party if it wasn’t because of his parents?

 

“How about me? Don’t you want to see me too?”

 

Ling felt heat rushing to her face immediately after Suho’s question. She quickly dropped her gaze. “Uhm… that…” she was lost for words. Of course, she wanted to see him as well. In fact, she always wanted to see him. But the party was for his parents. “I-I want to see you too. But the party is for your parents, right? So… umm…”

 

Suho chuckled after seeing her blushing so hard and unable to reply him like usual. It always felt so amusing to tease his girlfriend and watch her reaction. She always give him an innocent reaction. Suho raised his hand to touch her cheek, making her raise her gaze.

 

He smiled gently. “I’m sorry. I’m just teasing you.” Ling pouted. Suho only let out a small chuckle. “Let’s eat. I need to get a present for my parents later before returning back to office. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to find any other day to get it.” Ling nodded. “Okay.”

 

After lunch, Suho went to a jewellery store with Ling, hands in hands. The staffs were quick in recognizing him because he was one of their exclusive customer. As the staff went to get his order, Suho turned and walked towards Ling who was standing by the necklace counter. He leaned against the counter and faced his girlfriend.

 

“Did anything catch that beautiful pair of eyes of yours?” The girl whipped her look at him when she heard the question then shook her head quickly. She looked back at the counter to hide her blushing face. “Nothing. I’m just taking a look.” “You know I will buy you one if any really caught your eyes.”

 

She only smiled in return and looked at him. “And do you know that I can afford to buy one too?” She straightened her body while moving a little closer to him to put her arms around his neck. “Joonmyeon, you’ve spoiled me enough. Do you know that?” She said softly, almost whispering.

 

A lopsided smile came to Suho’s face. “What’s wrong with spoiling my girlfriend? Besides, I’ve never given you anything except for our couple ring.” The words struck her and made her silent.

 

Suho was right; she has never allowed him to buy her stuff except for their couple rings. He even grumbled when he found out that Ling had bought a new dress and a pair of heels for their company’s New Year party with her own money. In fact, she never wanted to be depended on Suho. It was her principle and still is to do everything on her own and to be independent.

 

She heaved a soft defeated sigh. “Fine.” A victorious smile appeared on Suho’s face. “But only for this time,” she warned him.

 

Suho shifted his position to face the girl. “I can’t promise you on that one.” He then turned around and called a staff. “Could you get me that necklace?” He asked while pointing to a necklace with a small heart locket chained in the middle.

 

The staff took out the necklace that Suho pointed and placed it on the glass surface. “It’s made with white gold. Many of our customers said that girls like it because of its simple design.” The staff smiled while she explained. Suho only nodded and looked at the staff. “I’ll take this.”

 

Ling gasped in horror upon hearing it. Even though the necklace looked simple, but Ling knew the price. “Joonmyeon, it’s too expensive...”

 

“I’ve seen many things that are way more expensive than this.” He turned back to the staff. “Put it together with my order please.” “Yes, Sir.” The staff guided him to the cashier.

 

Ling could only sigh to see Suho paying for her order. She knew that the wealth that Suho possesses was more than enough to last his next two generations. But she never wanted him to spend his money for her. It never fails to make her feel indebted to him even though he was her boyfriend.

 

Suho then turned to her with the necklace on his hand. “Turn around, Ling,” he ordered. “Are you really sure about this?” She tried to change his mind. “Yes. So, could you please turn around so I can out this necklace on you?”

 

Another defeated sigh came. She complied reluctantly and let him put the necklace on. He fixed her hair before turning her around. “It fits you well.” He praised, making her smile. “Thank you.” “You’re most welcome.” He replied then turned to the staff and took the bag before left.

 

 

 

 

Next day.

 

Ling was looking at her reflection in the mirror. She has chosen to wear a soft pink dress for the anniversary party. Her light make-up was fine and her hair looked neat as well; she curled her hair in big loose curls, cascading down naturally, and added a headband as an accessory. She was also wearing the necklace that Suho had bought her yesterday.

 

But she was contemplating whether she should wear their couple ring or not. Suho’s parents might not know about their relationship but at the same time, she was afraid that Suho might be unhappy if she were to take it off. Ling was confused.

 

Then the knocks on the door interrupted her train of thoughts.

 

Ling, are you done yet?” “We will be late if you’re not coming out anytime soon.” “Yes, I’m almost done. Just give me a moment.” She replied then looked down to her ring.

 

Well, probably it would probably be better if she don’t wear the ring. She could deal with Suho’s unhappiness later. She took off her ring and kept it in her ring box in her drawer before taking her purse, as well as her coat before leaving her room.

 

Luhan was waiting for her in the living room. He wore a suit and a matching tie. Suho has informed them that they would need to wear formal attire since there would be a couple of business partners attending the party as well. Luhan looked at her in awe and smiled.

 

You look beautiful, Meimei.” She smiled in return. “Thank you, Ge. You don’t look too bad yourself either.” He then offered his arm. “Shall we?” Ling chuckled and placed her hand around his arm. “We shall.

 

The party was held at a grand ball room of a well-known and prestige hotel. Ling wasn’t feeling awkward since she was used with parties like this ever since she was young. Besides, she was with Luhan. Nothing could frighten her.

 

As she entered the grand ballroom, she immediately spotted Suho amongst the guests. He was wearing a white suit and was exchanging conversation with some guests. Ling screamed in her head because he just looked too handsome. And when he whipped his gaze at her, she silently gasped; heart fluttering. A gentle gaze with a small smile started to form on his face as he saw her. He excused himself from his guests and approached them.

 

“You are late.” Suho told them when he arrived in front of them. Luhan only scoffed. “You need to be patient if you are living with a girl.” He casted a quick glance at the girl beside him.

 

Suho smiled to see the girl grinning apologetically at him. “I’m so sorry,” she said. “It’s fine.”

 

Luhan only rolled his eyes to see how different Suho was in front of his sister. “Suho,” he called the CEO. Suho turned his gaze to him. Luhan suddenly shivered when his eyes met the younger guy’s eyes. Ugh, Kim Joonmyeon, don’t give me that loving look. “Is Kim Hyeri here as well?”

 

Suho’s face dropped, Luhan only smiled when he saw his reaction. “Hyeri is in Vienna for her concert. So don’t dream to see her tonight.” Chuckles broke from Luhan as he saw how serious Suho was. He was actually trying to crack some jokes.

 

Luhan looked around and saw Suho’s parents in the middle of the room, laughing with some guests. “Suho.” He looked back at the CEO. “Could we congratulate your parents?” Suho nodded. “Sure, go ahead. They would be more than happy to hear that.” The three of them then approached the couple.

 

“Mom, Dad,” Suho called out to his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Kim turned. Somehow, Mr. Kim’s expression went brighter when he saw Luhan. “Young Mr. Lu,” he said as he stretched out his hand.

 

Luhan took the hand and shook it. “Hello, Mr. Kim.” He turned to Mrs. Kim and smiled. “Hello, Mrs. Kim. Happy 30th anniversary.” “Thank you, Luhan.” Mrs. Kim replied him. “It’s good to see you here. How have you been?”

 

“I’m fine. My parents sent their regards to you. They want me apologize on their behalf because they are not able to attend your party tonight.” Mr. Kim only smiled. “It’s fine. I understand that your parents are busy in China.” He then took a quick glance to Ling. “But… who is this young lady?”

 

Luhan looked at Ling and pushed her forward. “She’s my sister.”

 

Ling bowed to the couple and introduced herself. “Hello. My name is Lu Su Ling. Happy wedding anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Kim.”

 

A knowing look came from Mr. Kim. “Oh, I remembered Mr. Lu mentioning about his daughter. So it’s you that he was talking about.” He looked at her from top to bottom then smiled in awe. “Now I can tell him that he’s lucky to have a beautiful daughter like you.”

 

Ling shyly smiled upon hearing the praise. “I’m flattered. But thank you, Mr. Kim.”

 

“Are you working at Wu Enterprise as well, Miss Lu?”

 

“She’s my EPA, Dad, replacing Miss Kim Hana after she has moved to CUBE.” Suho spoke before Ling could say anything. Mr. Kim nodded upon hearing the reply. “Well, I hope my son didn’t give you much trouble, Miss Lu.”

 

“Honey.” Mr. Kim turned to his wife. “I believe that Mr. Lee wants to talk with you and Joonmyeon.” Mr. Kim turned his gaze to the middle aged man who stood not too far away from them then back to his wife. “Thank you, Darling.” He looked back to the younger ones. “Well, looks like I need to excuse myself.” He offered his hand to shook Ling’s, in which the girl returned too. “It’s nice meeting you, Miss Lu.”

 

“It’s my pleasure as well, Sir.” Mr. Kim withdrew his hand and patted Luhan’s arm. “Enjoy the party.” He then looked at his son. “Come on, Joonmyeon.” He pulled Suho along and the three of them left.

 

Ling watched as they walked away until she felt a tug on her hand. She turned to Luhan. “Yes, Ge?

 

That’s Mr. Xiao.” Ling took a quick look at a man who was talking to Lay as Luhan pointed at him. Ling recognized him as Lu family’s lawyer. She has met him a couple times while she was in China. “There’s a problem with Lu Company’s branch in Hongkong. So I need to talk with him.

 

Ling understood and looked back at Luhan as she nodded. “Is it serious?” Luhan smiled at her reassuringly. “Nothing serious, actually. Papa only wanted me to talk with him regarding the matter since he’s in Korea for a month. But you don’t need to worry about it. Just stay here for a while, okay?” Ling nodded and saw the older guy walk away.

 

She heaved a sigh and looked around. Most of the guests looked familiar to her; she has met them when she was in China or some of them when she was already in Wu Enterprise. But it seemed that none of them has bothered to even take notice of her. Well, Ling has expected that. She was only an assistant in Wu Enterprise and her boss was here as well. She looked down to the floor and heaved again.

 

“Care to tell me why is a beautiful lady standing here alone?”

 

Ling whipped her gaze to the side when she heard the low whispering sound. Her sight was met with a young man with a charming smile. She smiled as she recognized him as her boyfriend. “Gege went to talk to our family’s lawyer. He’s happened to be in Korea and come to this party.”

 

Suho understood. “That explains why.”

 

Ling frowned when she realized that Suho was supposed to be with his parents, meeting an acquaintance. “But… are you supposed to meet Mr. Lee with your parents?”

 

Suho touched his ear. “Well, I told them that I have to greet another business partner.” He looked around, ignoring Ling who had opened to complain. “This place is filled with people from business world. So it’s easy to find a reason.” He looked back at her. “By the way, you look beautiful tonight.”

 

Ling felt heat rushing to her face. Suddenly, she forgot what she wanted to complain about. She dropped her gaze, gulping. “Thank you,” she said then looked back at him. “And you look great as well.”

 

A mischievous smirk appeared on Suho’s face. “I always look great.” He self-praised, making Ling scoffed sarcastically and eyed him suspiciously. “Do you?” He s his hand around her waist. “Well, honestly, I always want to look great since I have met a great girl.”

 

Ling straightened her back when she felt his hand around her waist. She quickly shoved his hand away. “Joonmyeon, your parents will see us,” she hissed under her breathe. Suho only chuckled to her reaction. “Okay, fine. Sorry.” He moved a step backward, making the girl heave in relief. “But mind to tell me why are you not wearing our ring?”

 

GulpBusted!

 

“I… Aaa…” She heaved a sigh then looked at Suho. “Do you think that it’s the right time to let your parents know about us? We’ve only started dating for 6 months. I honestly think it’s too soon.” “Well, Kris introduced Hana to his father after they went out for about 3 months.” “That’s different. I’m not ready yet...”

 

Upon hearing her last statement, Suho only sighed inwardly. He had made a promise to himself to put her before him. He knew that the girl could be stubborn and painfully shy sometimes. So if she said that she wasn’t ready to reveal their relationship and to be introduced to his parents as his girlfriend, he would respect her decision and wait for her; no matter how long it would take.

 

He lifted his hand and brushed her bangs gently to the side, thinking how he could he love her so much. To have her so close to him, it always felt comforting. It was always amusing to see how she acted. And he has considered himself to be very lucky to be able to see a different side of Ling which she has never show it in front of everyone. He caressed her cheek and rested his hand on her shoulder.

 

“Alright,” he said softly. “I didn’t mean to rush you. Let’s tell my parents about us when you feel that you’re ready.” Ling only nodded but guilt was eating her up inside. “I’m so sorry, Joonmyeon.”

 

He only gave out an assuring smile as he patted her head before turning while lowering his hand and pocketing it. “So, now what shall we do?” He looked at her. “Have you eaten?” Ling shook her head. Suho took out his hand and grabbed her arm gently. “Then, let’s get you some food.” He then pulled her to the buffet table.

 

After a while, Ling wanted to get a drink. So she went to the drink counter alone. But when she almost arrived there, her step halted immediately. Her eyes widened and her heart dropped as she saw someone in front of her.

 

There, stood a woman in her 50s, dressed in a piece of expensive and elegant dress. Her hair was bun up in a neat and elegant way. Everything on her screamed expensive and luxury. But her presence had brought shiver and fear to Ling.

 

Ling quickly turned around. Her instinct immediately told her to avoid the woman. She raised her gaze and saw Luhan coming. She quickly approached him. “Ge,” she said as she grabbed onto his suit. “Can we go home?

 

Luhan frowned to see Ling. She was behaving strangely; shivering and looking scared. “What’s the matter?

 

Can we go home, please?” She repeated her question. Her voice was shaking.

 

Even though he was confused, he agreed as he saw how terrified she looked. “Okay,” he said as he nodded.

 

Ling quickly released her grip and walked fast paced toward the exit. Luhan looked around for the last time, trying to find out the cause. But he didn’t notice anything particular. He heaved a sigh then turned to follow the girl quickly

 

Outside, Luhan told Ling to wait at the front lobby while he collects his car. Ling took the moment to send a text message to Suho, apologizing that she and Luhan had to leave early. When she had sent the message, she noticed a pair of pumps stopping beside her. She looked up. But her eyes widened in horror as she realized who had stood beside her.

 

Oh no, not her!

 

“It’s very rude to not greet someone whom you haven’t seen for so long.”

 

The woman beside her turned her gaze to Ling in arrogant manner. Her eyes were filled with despise and hatred. And when the woman opened again, Ling heard the name that she had long ago, left behind. But the way the woman called the name in such low tone had sent shiver down her spine.

 

“Park Yoori.”

 


Just because the gif is so cute and sweet in the same time. And I'm squealing like crazy whenever I see it XD

 

How is it? Do you enjoy the fic so far? I really hope you enjoy it although the story is lacking in many ways. And for your info, this chapter is still un-beta-ed.

Thank you skittsebony for giving me the chance to write this fic. Thank you for polariskpop as well.

Thank you for Seobiee123 for becoming my beta-reader and editor for the past chapters (I'm so sorry for always rushing you and because I keep on updating without you beta-ing the chapters beforehand). Thank you for fishprincess for becoming someone who I can talk with.

Thank you to all the subscribers, the silent readers and for all the 55 upvoters that I got so far, thank you so much. Thank you for liking this story. Thank you for the time that you've spent for reading this fic. 324 Subscribers and 55 upvoters are the most subscribers and upvoters that I have ever gotten for a title. It always gives me motivation to keep on writing.

For those who put comment, thank you so much. I really really appreaciate every comments that you've made. You really don't know how much each and every comments mean to me. Whenever I was feeling lost or down, I always re-read all your comments. They've never failed to bring back the smile onto my face and cheer me up. Your comments never fail to encourage me.

I guess each and every one of you have given me the strength to keep on writing and do my best. I thank you all sincerely from the bottom of my heart. But no, it's not the end of this story. I just want to let you all know about how I feel because I'm having hard time lately.

So.. thank you so much.

And I just want to share this song for all of you.

 

 

Sincerely,

Alize Sakura (@AFFalize_sakura and alizesakura @ instagram)

 

And for these following upvoters, thank you so much.