FOURTEEN

August Rain

Update : fixing grammars. Thank you for Seobiee123 for becoming beta-reader and editing this chapter.



 

 

Ling, do you like Suho?


Ling dropped her forehead to her table and mentally groaned as the question came into her mind again. It has been five days since Luhan asked the question and she still couldn’t get the question out of her mind.


Actually, Ling was confused. She didn’t know how to answer the question. She definitely didn’t dislike Suho. In fact, she likes his presence around her; he was fun, nice, and an interesting young man, not to mention that he was handsome too. Ling felt comfortable with him. But to say that she had fallen for him, she wasn’t sure about it.


Yeah, you could call her innocent since she was clueless about love.


But seriously, Luhan’s question had made her feel awkward. If she were to meet Suho right now, she definitely doesn’t know how to behave. Lucky for her, Suho seems to be occupied by work and Hana lately, so he hasn’t called her. It was a relief since she wasn’t ready to see him yet.


Aish, Gege, look what you have done. Ling groaned again. Great, how can I work with him now?


“Miss Lu.”


Ling literally jumped and gave a gasp. She lifted her head and turned to the one who had called her. To her relief, it was a girl from her department; she looked amused to see Ling’s jumpy act.


“Uh, I think I didn’t call you that loudly” she said, making Ling felt embarrassed “I’m sorry” She dropped her gaze and heard her colleague snigger. “Whatever. By the way, Mr. Byun was looking for you while you were in a meeting earlier” “Why?” “He says that CEO Kim needs you upstairs.”


Upon hearing the name, Ling looked back at her friend with wide eyes; her heart started beating faster again. “CEO Kim?” her colleague nodded. Badump. Oh calm down, heart “What is it for?”


Her colleague shrugged “How would I know? But I suggest you to go there quickly. Even if the CEO is not Mr. Wu anymore, if someone is caught slacking within the company, you can lose your job. So, hurry.”

 

Ling nodded and replied with a quick “Alright” before she grabbed her phone and head towards the elevator. When she wanted to press the up button, her action stopped. How do I face him? Yet again, the question came to her mind and she felt her heart beating beyond the normal rate. The thought had made her wanting to run away. She still wasn’t ready to see him yet.


But Ling quickly shook the thought away. As much as she wanted to run away, she couldn’t put her career on the edge. Kim Joonmyeon is her boss for god’s sake. She needed to think of him as her boss. Ling pressed the up button and went into the elevator when the door opened.


Finally, she arrived at the door of the CEO’s office. She stopped and took a deep breath to calm herself down. You can do it, Ling; she encouraged. She puffed then lifted her hand to knock on the door.


“Come in.”


For a second, Ling felt as if her heart had jumped out from her chest. Nevertheless, she opened the door and found him shuffling through the mess on his table. She stopped by the table, “Are you looking for me, Sir?”

Suho lifted his gaze and flashed a smile. But he’s one damn gorgeous boss who can make your heart beat flutter. Oh, shut up, subconscious; she scolded mentally. But, yeah, Suho was still gorgeous despite being messy right now. Oh, Ling was referring to his table; documents were scattering everywhere across his table; but the gorgeous part was definitely referring to his appearance.


“Oh, yes, Ling. I am” he looked relieved to see her. “Hana is not here today. So I need you to take over her.” He frowned “But where were you? Baekhyun told me that you were not on your desk earlier.” “Ah, I’m so sorry. I just ended a meeting, Sir” He smiled and nodded. “Then it’s fine” He said and went back to what he was doing before.

 

“But, may I ask where Miss Kim is?”


Suho stopped shuffling through his document and heaved a sigh. “Apparently, our Chairman is back in town and decided to snag her away.”


Corners of Ling’s lips tugged upward upon hearing his complaint. It was kinda adorable to see him being worried about Hana, but it also made her felt a little bit envy to the said girl. She saw him taking a document out from the pile and handed it to her.


“Can you please deliver this to the Legal department? I’m pretty sure that Chen needs it right now.” Ling took the document from his hand, “alright, Sir.”


“And when you are back, please go to the Finance Department and collect the finance reports from Miss Victoria. Just tell her that I’ve asked for the documents that Hana emailed her yesterday.” Noted. Ling nodded.

“I have a meeting later on at 1.30PM for finance report. So, I need you to prepare the meeting room.” Meeting after lunch, noted.


“Is there anything else, Sir?” Ling asked as Suho sat down and took his pen. “No, I think that’s all. I’ll call you again when I need something.” “Then, I’ll get going now.” Ling bowed then turned to walk away.


Suho called her again when she was almost reaching the door. The CEO was frowning at a paper on his hand. “Come to my office again afterwards so we can have lunch together.” What?


The guy looked at her and Ling only blinked at him “It’s almost 12pm, Ling.” Suho said as he pointed at the wall clock. Ling took a quick glance and back to Suho. “Yes, I know, Sir.”


Her reply had his brows knitted. “You’re not going to say no, are you?” I was. “No. I-I mean… uhm…”


Her sentence was interrupted by Suho’s phone buzzing on the table. The CEO quickly took his phone and answered it. “Yes, Sehun?” A frown soon grew on his face as he listened to the other’s explanation. “You’re kidding, right?” He went silent again.

 

Judging his expression, Ling knew that it might be something important. So, perhaps, she would need to excuse herself. “Sir, probably I shou—“she was cut off as Suho raised his hand at her, signaling her to wait.


“Alright, call the others and meet me in the meeting room” he said then lowered his phone and turned his gaze back to her. “Ling, I’m so sorry but there’s a sudden meeting that I will need to attend to right now” he said in a hurry. He pocketed his phone and took his jacket before walking towards the door. He then stopped as he arrived in front of her. “The meeting room is available now, right?”


Ling tilted her head. She hadn’t checked the meeting room’s availability. Logically, since it was an executive meeting room, it was supposed to be empty. “It supposed to be” she sounded unsure but Suho only smiled and said “Thanks”.


He started walking again but stopped for the second time as he remembered something. “And can you free my schedule today for about…” he looked at his watch “…three hours from now? Try to reschedule them and inform me about the changes. I’ll be back as soon as possible”. Ling only nodded, “Yes, Sir.”


Suho turned and walked out the room. Ling puffed, feeling relieved. At least, their lunch ‘date’ was cancelled because of the sudden meeting. She looked at the document in her hand and thought that she could give the document to Kim Jongdae’s secretary instead; she had guessed that he would come to the meeting and leave afterward as well. But…


“Ling”

Kim Joonmyeon’s voice was heard again and made her gasped in surprise; she turned to the door and saw him smiling at her. “Yes, Sir?”


“Try not to end my schedule late today.” Ling was confused by the request, “Why?” “Because I want to take you out for dinner.” Badump. Suho flashed a gentle smile “See you later, Ling” he said and left.


Omo, it seemed that she can’t avoid him this time.



Later in the afternoon, Ling was organizing the documents in Hana’s office. She has pushed Suho’s schedule to tomorrow and has delivered all the signed documents to the respective departments; Suho had put them on the signed box so she knew that the documents were free to go.


Her phone rang and her attention was diverted. She took it and noticed the caller ID. She swiped her thumb on the glossy surface of the screen and answered the call.


Hello, Gege?


Ah, Ling. Do you know where the guys are now?

 

The question brought a frown to her face. “I don’t know. Have you tried calling them?


I did. I called almost each of them but none of them picked up. Are they having a meeting right now?


“I’m not sure, Ge. Mr. Kim left in a hurry before lunch. He also told me to free his schedule for three hours.” Then she heard a ding sound from Luhan’s side.


Ah, wait a second, Ling. I think I got a message.PauseIt’s from Sehun.Pause again. Ling guessed that he would read the message now.


Bull !


She heard a loud curse from the guy; it was so loud that she needed to keep her phone a distance away from her ear. She put her phone back on her ear, just in time to hear him whining “Ling, can you believe it? They are playing Paintball right now.Wait, what? Paintball? “Sehun sent me a picture of them after the game. It’s just so unfair. I’m working my off here in China. They’re supposed to take me along.


Ling rolled her eyes, “Ge, don’t be so dramatic. They must have their reason” Ling calmly said.


Kris must have taken them!” Ling face-palmed “Ge…” “Call you later, Xiao Meimei (red: little sister, in Chinese). I think I have an idea to get back on them” “Ge—


Click.

The line was cut off from the other side. Ling lowered her phone and heaved a sigh as she stared at her phone’s screen. Aigo… sometimes, she really doesn’t know who was actually older between them.


But again, paintball…


It sounded fun although it wasn’t really an ideal definition of fun for Ling. She was more of a homey type unlike Luhan. So the idea of hunting and shooting people was way out of her league. She put her phone on the table and returned to her work, but was interrupted by a ringing sound. She looked at the line phone on the table; the light was blinking so she answered it.


“Executive Office. This is Lu Su Ling speaking.”

 

Miss Lu, I’m calling from lobby receptionist. There’s someone here who wants to meet CEO Kim.”


Ling frowned and checked on Suho’s schedule for the day. As much as she could remember, Suho didn’t have a meeting with any guest “Was there any appointment made?”


I don’t think so. She only said to tell Mr. Kim that Kim Hyeri is here.”


She? So the guest was a woman. “Unfortunately, CEO Kim is out of office right now. Perhaps, she would like to wait? Or, I can arrange another meeting for her to meet him tomorrow.”


I’ll talk to her first. Please wait for a moment.”


Ling heard ruffling on the other side and the line went mute. Perhaps the receptionist switch off the phone’s microphone while talking to the guest. But a woman requesting a meeting with Suho, it wasn’t weird. Then why did she feel annoyed?


Miss Lu?” The sound brought her back from her thought “Yes?” “She said that it’s fine. But she left a message for CEO Kim to notify him that Kim Hyeri is in town.” “Okay, I’ll pass the message to him when he’s back. Thank you very much” “You’re welcome, Miss Lu.”


Ling put down the phone and heaved a sigh. Yeah… she was definitely feeling annoyed. She shook her head. Oh, nevermind… and she went back to work.

 


When the clock strike 3.10pm, her attention from the documents that she was arranging on the shelf was diverted to the knocks on the door. Ling turned her gaze to the door and saw Suho leaning against the door holding two cups of drinks; one of them that he drank was an iced coffee. It seemed that he was there for a quite a while. Either way, Ling welcomed him with a smile. “Oh, Sir, you are back.”


“Yes, Ling” he entered the room and stopped by the table before putting the cup which he held with his left hand on the table. Ling looked at the cup before looking back at him. “But I don’t drink co—“


“It’s not coffee, Ling” he interrupted and sat on the guest chair “It’s an iced chocolate. I know you don’t drink coffee” She was surprised to know that Suho had learnt about her drinks preferences. It was true that she wasn’t fond of coffee although she liked the taste. But so far, Luhan was the only one who knew about it.

 

“Thank you, Sir” she finally said. Suho smiled “Consider it as my way to apologize since you had to cover up for me.” It’s a weird way to apologize though, she smiled with the thought “It’s just part of my duty, Sir.”


Suho leaned back against his chair “Did anything happen while I was away?”


“I have postponed your meeting schedule with the Finance team to 2pm tomorrow. There are a few documents awaiting your signature on your table, and someone with the name of Kim Hyeri came to look for you too.”


Suho raised his brows upon hearing the name; his expression changed. “Kim Hyeri?” She nodded. “Did she leave any message?” Ling felt annoyed again. “She only said to notify you that she’s in town.”


Suho only nodded and seemed to be in deep thought. It made Ling even curious who Kim Hyeri was but she refrained from asking more.


Suho sighed as he stood up “Okay then. I better get going to finish my job for the day. I believe I have a meeting later at 4PM, right?” “Yes, Sir.” “Please assist me again, okay?” As he turned to head towards the door, Ling found it amusing with his way of saying the request playfully and that brought a smile to her face, “Alright.”


He stopped on his track and turned to say, “And don’t forget that we have a dinner tonight” That! She almost forgot about that “I don’t accept rejection, Miss Lu. So you will have to wait for me later.” Defeated, she nodded, “Okay, Sir.”


Suho smiled and left the room. But yay, she has a dinner date with Kim Joonmyeon. Haha. Okay, scratch the ‘date’ part. She wanted to take it as just a dinner between colleagues.



Suho brought her to a restaurant near the Han River for dinner. To her surprise, it wasn’t fancy neither it was a high-class restaurant that goes with his wealth level; it was only an average restaurant with a view to the river and serve Korean food.


“Sir” Ling called out after he has ordered the food “What’s with the restaurant?” Suho looked around and back to Ling “You don’t like it?” She quickly shook her head “No, no. I like it. I just thought that you will take me to… somewhere else that fits your social status.” Suho propped his chin onto his palm, hiding a smile that almost bloomed, “Do you prefer a fancy restaurant then?” Again, Ling shook her head “I was just surprised.”


Suho turned his head to the window; Han River was laid beyond it “I used to patron this restaurant. It’s my favorite because it has good view to the Han River” Ling looked out of the window and admired the view. “Do you like the Han River, Sir?” Suho nodded “Yes, I do”


“My father used to tell me about the Han River.”


Suho dropped his smile and turned his gaze back to Ling. She was looking downward. Somehow, Suho regretted that he has taken Ling to this restaurant. “I’m sorry, Ling” She looked up and forced a smile. “It’s fine. Besides, I’ve never been to the Han River ever since I came to Seoul. Han-gege is always too busy to bring me here.” She looked out of the window again and smiled “It’s beautiful.”

 

That moment, Suho was mesmerized by the girl who sat across him. He has lost count of the number of times he found Ling beautiful for her simplicity. Sometimes, she had made him hold his breath, practically, with her laughter and smiles. She had given him comfort just by being around him. And Suho wanted to be with her for as long as he could.


Yes, he had fallen for her although he thought that he could never fall in love again after he had lost Hyejin. Ling reminded him again; all the moments, the heartbeats and everything that he had felt before when he was in love. He would give up everything to be with her. Although he was holding it back, afraid of getting hurt again. But yes, he loves her.


“Ling…” Suho dropped his gaze. “Hmm?” she looked at him. Suho then raised his gaze and looked straight in her eyes.


“I think you’re beautiful, too.”

 

 


 

Author's note:

Have I made you squealling, everyone? Hehe. For that, I'm terribly sorry... NOT!!

 

That's Luhan's reaction with my trolling above :P

 

Anyway, thank you so much for reading this chapter. I should warn you that this chapter is still un-beta-ed. But mind for giving me help? Let me know if you want it.

And thank you for these upvoters, you've really made my day~